US Open committee completely screwed up and ruined the Open.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
They added 500 yards to an extremely difficult course. But that wasn't enough they grew up the rough so high, if you missed a fairway or green by 10 feet you might not find your ball. If you don't hit your iron shot perfectly to an inverted dish shaped green, it goes 20 yards over or rolls back 40 yards. I've been watching the Open for decades and this one is an epic fail on setup. They managed to eliminate most of the top golfers from the field. Were they playing bad? Not really, they just didn't get the lucky bounce here or there. Or didn't get a 30 mph wind gust right after they hit their ball. The announcers are covering up for the committee but IMO they screwed the pooch on this one.

Its kind of fun to watch the pros hack their way through the course like we average folks do....lol

But I agree people tune in to see good golf....

I wouldn't mind seeing this kind of "challenge" with the high grass etc on some casual invitation or something, but not the U.S Open.

Regardless. Many of them are going to make an insane payday, it beats working in the mines, so suck it up Princess!

Everyone expects the US Open to be a tough layout. But 12 inch high grass 10 feet off of the fairway or a green is ridiculous. Even in the first cut the players can't get to the green. Ian Poulter was is second place and took 5 shots to get it in from 10 yards off the green!

If you're a pro you know where to hit a shot even to an upside down bowl. And if you miss the fairway you get what amounts to a one stroke penalty to get your ball back in play from the heavy rough. Can't hang? Go home. And nearly every US Open is set up this way, I've seen many in the past that hit the ball three feet past the hole but spin it too much and it rolls back off the green 70 feet.

The US Open always means your 1, 2, 3, 4 irons will be getting extra work. If you're a pro that isn't a problem. Nicklaus could drop a 1 iron shot in a shot glass. I love seeing the best in the world struggle. It also means that if you are within 7 or 8 shots of the lead even on Sunday you have a chance. The leader drops 3 and you get 4 birdies you are at the top of the leaderboard. A course set up like Shinnecock makes that possible.

Even the USGA has now admitted they fucked this up. A USGA official was on today and admitted they did not account will for the wind and made the course and the greens too severe. They grew up the rough way too high and way too close to the fairways and greens. The greens are basically upside down bowls with shaved edges. Phil Mickelson 5 time major winner basically said "screw this" when he chased down a putt that was about to roll thirty yards off the green and hit it back WHILE it was still moving. We are talking about a future hall of fame golfer here, not some journeyman. I'm still watching it but it is more like watching a car race for the wrecks rather than enjoyment of watching the best in the world do what most of us cannot.

I think the course was groomed exactly as it should be for the premier event of the USGA. Golf was invented in a area of natural hazards and that is exactly how it should be played today.

I love watching these athletes finally forced to show their physical as well as mental skills.

They went past "difficult," and made it to ludicrous. The best golfer did not win, the luckiest did.

They went past "difficult," and made it to ludicrous. The best golfer did not win, the luckiest did.

Wrong!

The one who played the smartest won. He did an amazing job of putting himself in places where he had a chance to make par - or better. What the game is all about.

[From someone who used to have a 5 handicap]

They added 500 yards to an extremely difficult course. But that wasn't enough they grew up the rough so high, if you missed a fairway or green by 10 feet you might not find your ball. If you don't hit your iron shot perfectly to an inverted dish shaped green, it goes 20 yards over or rolls back 40 yards. I've been watching the Open for decades and this one is an epic fail on setup. They managed to eliminate most of the top golfers from the field. Were they playing bad? Not really, they just didn't get the lucky bounce here or there. Or didn't get a 30 mph wind gust right after they hit their ball. The announcers are covering up for the committee but IMO they screwed the pooch on this one.
They always make the open tougher, it is the same for every one! It does not bother me to see high scores! Reminds me of the Peterson Bowling Tournement in Chicago. They do crazy stuff to mess with scoring. There is some thing enjoyable about watching scratch bowlers cry! I wonder if any of the golfers cried over thier score?

We expect the US Open to be difficult. The point is when you setup the course so severely that really good shots are punished, you failed. The only reason the winning score wasn't 10 over par is that they realized they screwed up and watered the greens and didn't put the pins on side hills the last day. That made for an exciting last day, too bad Thursday and Saturday was a joke.

Forum List

Back