The Virtue of the Ordinary

I wasn't bragging.

I was making a commentary on the cancer of consumerism and the idea that a person always has to be climbing the next rung on the ladder and always buying more shit to one up his neighbors to be happy.

And why do you assume a beautiful home has to be some big house where you don't even use all the rooms and jut fill it with stuff?

A smaller house can be a beautiful home but no one wants a 1200 sq ft home anymore they all want 4000 sq ft Mc-mansions and don't care if they are shoddily built as long as they are BIG because if their house isn't bigger it means they are not making it.

And you think I see contempt. I don't. It's actually pity.

And I never said anything was "wrong" that's all you.

You cannot deny the the fact that mental health in this country is declining and that the rampant consumerism is a large part of that. Social media algorithms are turning an entire generation into mindless drones who think they have to have the fake lives of the fake influencers or they are somehow failures.

All this is not accidental.

You seem to think I am saying people have to live like paupers and you're flat out wrong. The point is to stop trying to impress others with how much crap you own or how much money you make especially when all the money is barely supporting your lifestyle.

And I'm not a liberal whatever you think that is.
You’re using the wrong word then. You are talking about being “average.” The average person rents, or buys a small older house. He’s never traveled to other countries to explore other cultures. He’s never signed up for adult education classes to expand his knowledge.

The average person doesn’t say thank you. The average person uses profanity. The average person, especially these days, has to budget for groceries. the average person gets a C average. The average person doesn’t read a book of any depth.

You have associated the word “ordinary” with how much money you spend. There’s a lot more to it than that.

You’re using the wrong word then. You are talking about being “average.” The average person rents, or buys a small older house. He’s never traveled to other countries to explore other cultures. He’s never signed up for adult education classes to expand his knowledge.

The average person doesn’t say thank you. The average person uses profanity. The average person, especially these days, has to budget for groceries. the average person gets a C average. The average person doesn’t read a book of any depth.

You have associated the word “ordinary” with how much money you spend. There’s a lot more to it than that.
No I used the word ORDINARY not average,

YOU used the word average.

And once again you just illustrate that you missed or didn't bother to read parts of the OP.

The ordinary person in this society has access to all those things you just mentioned. A place to live be it a house or apartment. Some people don't want to own a home you know.

He has access to more food than he could ever eat in a lifetime, more comforts and leisure time than he can possibly partake in more knowledge at his fingertips than he can possibly absorb.

But for some reason people do not think that with all that available it's still not enough.

Why?

The answer is plain to me. People have been conditioned to become mindless consumers and mindless achievers even when that consumption or constant striving for achievement is detrimental to their physical and mental health.

It's a false competition where there are no winners but most people fall for it.

No I used the word ORDINARY not average,

YOU used the word average.

And once again you just illustrate that you missed or didn't bother to read parts of the OP.

The ordinary person in this society has access to all those things you just mentioned. A place to live be it a house or apartment. Some people don't want to own a home you know.

He has access to more food than he could ever eat in a lifetime, more comforts and leisure time than he can possibly partake in more knowledge at his fingertips than he can possibly absorb.

But for some reason people do not think that with all that available it's still not enough.

Why?

The answer is plain to me. People have been conditioned to become mindless consumers and mindless achievers even when that consumption or constant striving for achievement is detrimental to their physical and mental health.

It's a false competition where there are no winners but most people fall for it.
And you miss what I said. There is a lot more to being above ordinary than how you spend money. Ordinary people have IQs of 100, got through high school with Cs and maybe a B or two, never gave thought to a career or a trade and just get through with “jobs,” don’t read anything of substance, watch reality TV, and go to Olive Garden for family dinners. They can’t keep up with intellectual discussions at a dinner party, and instead talk about people….not ideas.

That’s a typical, ordinary American. Nothing to be ashamed of, but if everyone were like that, we’d have no computers, no MRI machines, no advanced military equipment, no beautiful music that temporarily transports us out of this realm.

Thank Gd we have a lot of people who aren’t satisfied with being ordinary.

It’s a sad commentary on America where we now have to defend people who aspire to being above ordinary.

And you miss what I said. There is a lot more to being above ordinary than how you spend money. Ordinary people have IQs of 100, got through high school with Cs and maybe a B or two, never gave thought to a career or a trade and just get through with “jobs,” don’t read anything of substance, watch reality TV, and go to Olive Garden for family dinners. They can’t keep up with intellectual discussions at a dinner party, and instead talk about people….not ideas.

That’s a typical, ordinary American. Nothing to be ashamed of, but if everyone were like that, we’d have no computers, no MRI machines, no advanced military equipment, no beautiful music that temporarily transports us out of this realm.

Thank Gd we have a lot of people who aren’t satisfied with being ordinary.

IQ is not something a person can choose.

I have already addressed the fact that different people have different abilities and that people are not born exactly the same so that anyone who wanted to could be a gifted scientist or musician. That's just another fantasy people have fallen for.

And as much as you denigrate those you call ordinary I bet you do all those same things too.

And even a successful person can embrace the simplicity of the ordinary taking his pleasures not in the constant striving to be more and more and more every minute of every day. He does his job creates his work and lets it go.

He does the work for the sake of the work not for the sake of getting ahead of someone else.

You seem to be hung up that the word ordinary is a negative or even an insult and it's not.

IQ is not something a person can choose.

I have already addressed the fact that different people have different abilities and that people are not born exactly the same so that anyone who wanted to could be a gifted scientist or musician. That's just another fantasy people have fallen for.

And as much as you denigrate those you call ordinary I bet you do all those same things too.

And even a successful person can embrace the simplicity of the ordinary taking his pleasures not in the constant striving to be more and more and more every minute of every day. He does his job creates his work and lets it go.

He does the work for the sake of the work not for the sake of getting ahead of someone else.

You seem to be hung up that the word ordinary is a negative or even an insult and it's not.
Ordinary is the same as mediocre.

Why are you unable to acknowledge that those who strive to be better than mediocre should be admired instead of put down? That’s the problem with America - trying to pretend that being ordinary is morally superior than being extraordinary, which is what you‘re doing.

And you say you’re not liberal, but your snark says otherwise. Is this the message you want to give schoolkids: “Settling for ordinary is every bit as admirable as striving to do your best and reaching your potential.”

This is all part of the leftist insistence that all people are equal. I remember when Gabby Douglas won her medal, and everyone was oohing-and-ahhing over her achievement. Some leftist wrote in to the WaPo asking why she is getting all the credit when other people were involved - and he gave as an example the taxi driver who picked her up at the airport!

The tax driver was ordinary. Gabby was exceptional, and it took years of sacrifice to get there. She is to be admired more than the cab driver.

Ordinary is the same as mediocre.

Why are you unable to acknowledge that those who strive to be better than mediocre should be admired instead of put down? That’s the problem with America - trying to pretend that being ordinary is morally superior than being extraordinary, which is what you‘re doing.

And you say you’re not liberal, but your snark says otherwise. Is this the message you want to give schoolkids: “Settling for ordinary is every bit as admirable as striving to do your best and reaching your potential.”

This is all part of the leftist insistence that all people are equal. I remember when Gabby Douglas won her medal, and everyone was oohing-and-ahhing over her achievement. Some leftist wrote in to the WaPo asking why she is getting all the credit when other people were involved - and he gave as an example the taxi driver who picked her up at the airport!

The tax driver was ordinary. Gabby was exceptional, and it took years of sacrifice to get there. She is to be admired more than the cab driver.

I disagree.

And I have never said ALL people are equal. In fact I have said multiple times that everyone is different. You seem to think that that cab driver could have been an Olympic gymnast if she only worked hard enough and that is just not true.

let's use your thinking in this example.

The builder who only ever built small affordable well built homes must be deemed less successful than the guy who built a couple of skyscrapers. But you ignore the fact that this builder created hundreds of homes for people and families and created many millions of dollars in equity for a lot of people but because he didn't strive to be anything but a guy who built ordinary homes he should be less respected than the guy who built a skyscraper that didn't really help anyone get ahead in life.

By your definition this builder is a failure and not to be respected

What about a musician who only ever taught music to elementary school kids because that's what she loved. By your standard she is ordinary therefore not to be respected because she never strived to be a Grammy winner even though she gave the gift of music to thousands of young people and enriched their lives.

By your definition she is a failure.

What about a doctor who only ever wanted to be a GP and never tried to be the world's best neurosurgeon? He's an ordinary doctor nothing special not accomplished in his field but he provides a valuable service for the poor in a crappy clinic that barley makes enough to stay open.

By your definition he is a failure and not to be respected as a doctor as much as the neurosurgeon.

I am looking at an ordinary tree outside my study window. By your thinking I should cut it down and plant a better tree because this one is commonplace. But I look at it and I see a marvel of nature that provides shelter for animals, that filters toxins out of the air and provides shade in the summer. This ordinary thing is a work of beauty.

I started this thread as a way to help me with an essay I am writing so thanks to thos who responded.

The definition of ordinary in the Meriam Webster

1 of a kind to be expected in the normal order of events : ROUTINE, USUAL
an ordinary day

2a
: of common quality, rank, or ability
an ordinary teenager

b
: deficient in quality : POOR, INFERIOR
ordinary wine

3 : having or constituting immediate or original jurisdiction
also : belonging to such jurisdiction

#3 has no relevance to this discussion, but it is the very first definition that I wish to explore. IMO definition 2a. should actually be 1b. because definition 2b. seems contradictory

One of the areas of contention here is whether or not things are as expected in the normal course of events is subjectively negative or not because it seems the definition of ordinary that is being defaulted to is 2b., Inferior.

If we think of our normal course of events in our ordinary days are we all weighted down with a feeling that our lives are inferior? And if so inferior to what?

Most of us wake up in a warm dry bed knowing that hot water will run in their shower, that they will have food to eat, coffee to drink and clothes to wear.

Do we all say woe is me for these ordinary ( inferior) luxuries?

I started this thread as a way to help me with an essay I am writing so thanks to thos who responded.

The definition of ordinary in the Meriam Webster

1 of a kind to be expected in the normal order of events : ROUTINE, USUAL
an ordinary day

2a
: of common quality, rank, or ability
an ordinary teenager

b
: deficient in quality : POOR, INFERIOR
ordinary wine

3 : having or constituting immediate or original jurisdiction
also : belonging to such jurisdiction

#3 has no relevance to this discussion, but it is the very first definition that I wish to explore. IMO definition 2a. should actually be 1b. because definition 2b. seems contradictory

One of the areas of contention here is whether or not things are as expected in the normal course of events is subjectively negative or not because it seems the definition of ordinary that is being defaulted to is 2b., Inferior.

If we think of our normal course of events in our ordinary days are we all weighted down with a feeling that our lives are inferior? And if so inferior to what?

Most of us wake up in a warm dry bed knowing that hot water will run in their shower, that they will have food to eat, coffee to drink and clothes to wear.

Do we all say woe is me for these ordinary ( inferior) luxuries?
1) An essay? You do not have permission to quote anything I’ve said here.

2) So you were arguing with me because I interpret ordinary as being common, or even poorer in quality, which are both valid definitions. Why does ordinary have to fit the FIRST definition simply because that’s the definition you choose? The other definitions are valid as well.

I for one am glad I not ordinary - and that does not mean spending style.

1) An essay? You do not have permission to quote anything I’ve said here.

2) So you were arguing with me because I interpret ordinary as being common, or even poorer in quality, which are both valid definitions. Why does ordinary have to fit the FIRST definition simply because that’s the definition you choose? The other definitions are valid as well.

I for one am glad I not ordinary - and that does not mean spending style.
Who said I was going to quote you?

and who are you anyway? You are an anonymous person on a message board. You could be a 500 lb man dressed in his mother's nightgown for all I know.

And yes if there is more than one definition for a word choosing a definition to use is required especially when those definitions are contradictory

Tell me is the cup of coffee you expect in your normal course of events inferior?
Is the service from you dry cleaner you expect in your normal course of events of poor quality?
Are all the people and all the jobs they do in the normal course of your dealing with them inferior?

And I hate to tell you but if you are what people expect in their normal course of events then you are ordinary

Last edited:
Who said I was going to quote you?

and who are you anyway? You are an anonymous person on a message board. You could be a 500 lb man dressed in his mother's nightgown for all I know.

And yes if there is more than one definition for a word choosing a definition to use is required especially when those definitions are contradictory

Tell me is the cup of coffee you expect in your normal course of events inferior?
Is the service from you dry cleaner you expect in your normal course of events of poor quality?
Are all the people and all the jobs they do in the normal course of your dealing with them inferior?

And i hate to tell you but if you are what people expect in their normal course of events then you are ordinary
Funny.

Don’t be so defensive about being ordinary. If you chose not to strive to be better than ordinary, that‘s OK.

Funny.

Don’t be so defensive about being ordinary. If you chose not to strive to be better than ordinary, that‘s OK.

Your ego is certainly extraordinary you must be so proud.

No wonder you are so fragile and easily offended.

Your ego is certainly extraordinary you must be so proud.

No wonder you are so fragile and easily offended.
You certainly are quick with the insults. It’s a sign of an inferiority complex.

No worries. We need ordinary people in the world, too.

Your ego is certainly extraordinary you must be so proud

You certainly are quick with the insults. It’s a sign of an inferiority complex.

No worries. We need ordinary people in the world, too.

And every time you look in the mirror you see an ordinary person.

I'd rather be humble and not trumpet to everyone how great I am because usually the person who crows the loudest is the one who is the most dissatisfied with herself.

Your visceral reaction to a word is interesting though

Last edited:

Forum List

Back