The Value of a College Education

Anecdotal.

Besides I said if you need to learn something then learn it but a degree is not necessary.

Having "some" college means only that someone took a class or two which is a pragmatic approach to education where you only pay for what you need and what will give you the most return for your time and money.

I couldn't have gotten where I'm at today without a degree. My advanced degree taught me my investment skills.

Bill Gates has 'some college', work out very well for that entrepreneur.

I don't get what you're point is. I said if you need to learn something then learn it.

Tell me how many courses did you pay for that had nothing to do with investing and therefore no bearing on your income?

One can get a license to sell stocks, bonds, mutual funds, insurance without getting a degree.

One can take courses in finance separately from a degree program that does not make you pay for courses that are irrelevant to your career path.

As I said "some college" does not imply anything more than taking one college course.

Nothing I have said denies that taking a class to learn something is undesirable as long as that something gives you a return on your money and time.

Spending 4 years and tens of thousands of dollars on a course of study with no purpose and no real promise of a return is a waste of time.

I see you never went to college. That's fine, but you won't understand.

I think ALL education should be free, K-BA/BS.

Anecdotal.

Besides I said if you need to learn something then learn it but a degree is not necessary.

Having "some" college means only that someone took a class or two which is a pragmatic approach to education where you only pay for what you need and what will give you the most return for your time and money.

I couldn't have gotten where I'm at today without a degree. My advanced degree taught me my investment skills.

My son works in IT. He has made a six figure salary every year since he was 23. But he loves art, philosophy, and literature. Those are enriching experiences. Just because they don't pay his bills doesn't mean they were useless courses. In all honesty, I enjoyed my literature and philosophy classes more than I did my science classes. But that is not where my commitment was. I still feel they were valuable classes.

I dreaded literature and philosophy. Left/right brain?

I don't get what you're point is. I said if you need to learn something then learn it.

Tell me how many courses did you pay for that had nothing to do with investing and therefore no bearing on your income?

One can get a license to sell stocks, bonds, mutual funds, insurance without getting a degree.

One can take courses in finance separately from a degree program that does not make you pay for courses that are irrelevant to your career path.

As I said "some college" does not imply anything more than taking one college course.

Nothing I have said denies that taking a class to learn something is undesirable as long as that something gives you a return on your money and time.

Spending 4 years and tens of thousands of dollars on a course of study with no purpose and no real promise of a return is a waste of time.

I would like to see government endorsed online courses covering the first two years of college. Same course for anyone in the country for $300 a course.

I would like to see government endorsed online courses covering the first two years of college. Same course for anyone in the country for $300 a course.

I don't know? It's the contacts as well as the education. I got in the door on numerous contracts throughout my professional life because of fellow classmates. I'll stick with my post.

Most online doesn't give you interaction, which depending on the course is extremely important.

I don't know? It's the contacts as well as the education. I got in the door on numerous contracts throughout my professional life because of fellow classmates. I'll stick with my post.

Most online doesn't give you interaction, which depending on the course is extremely important.

Many of my courses the first two years were in lecture halls with 100-200 students. Might as well be online

No reason an online course should cost more than a few hundred dollars vs thousands for a live course

Philosophy and literature may be personally enriching but it won't result in any money. The nephew of a friend if mine is getting a degreein medieval Scottish history. It is good for one thing if he wasted to be a professor of medieval Scottish history. Otherwise he should learn how to be an auto mechanic.

These degrees are fun, easy, if you couple them with some sort of skill maybe you have something. Otherwise it's a degree in boring dinner conversation. Now the top firms are demanding degrees of their own.

Philosophy and literature may be personally enriching but it won't result in any money. The nephew of a friend if mine is getting a degreein medieval Scottish history. It is good for one thing if he wasted to be a professor of medieval Scottish history. Otherwise he should learn how to be an auto mechanic.

These degrees are fun, easy, if you couple them with some sort of skill maybe you have something. Otherwise it's a degree in boring dinner conversation. Now the top firms are demanding degrees of their own.

And with an internship or two more years he can have a business degree.

What makes you think you can't make connections online?

I hear you can even learn brain surgery online

You seem to have a memory problem.

I distinctly said that degrees in technical disciplines and hard sciences have merit didn't I?

And who learns brain surgery for the hell of it?

I won't understand?

That's patronizing and quite wrong.

And education is already free.

What makes you think you can't make connections online?

You can. I know three people who are getting online degrees as we speak. Part of the online experience is the class discussion forum. And what I have noticed is that with an online discussion as opposed to a classroom discussion they can discern the well written from the well spoken. Many people can be well spoken and not have enough sense to use some idiot proof program to make sure what they post up is correctly written. All three of them avoid the classmates who used bad grammar and don't have the sense to type their posts in Word before hitting the send button.

I don't agree. Every entrepreneur that I personally know has had some college education. Some (like me) have advanced degrees.

Anecdotal.

Besides I said if you need to learn something them learn it but a degree is not necessary.

Could you have been more successful if you went to College?

We will never know will we?

Ahh, like when Obama failed to fix the economy with his stimulus, then claims we'll never know how bad it could have been.... Then claims it would have been a depression.

I too dropped out of high school and have no college education yet my business will gross over 500k this year. I have family that have done over 10 years of higher education, hundred + thousand spent and still don't have a job in the field they graduated for nor a job that pays well at all... In fact they have been unemployed most their life.

Does this mean I hate education or that you hate people that can actually produce useful products? No.

Government destroyed school education, government also made it cost too much. Education (college HS) is funny to debate, on one hand I hear a person claim how education in America is horrible, and that we need to cut military spending to better our failing schools.... That very same person will then make the same claim that being educated (in America) makes you better equipped to use critical thinking and make better choices.

Education today can be done on a better scale through google and on the job real life experience than a classroom IMO. The issue seems to be that the Government's idea of what education should be is a dinosaur and holding generation after generation back.

Education in America today destroys critical thinking. It's rote ideology. Think critically and it's a failing grade.

Education in America today destroys critical thinking. It's rote ideology. Think critically and it's a failing grade.

Actually, it is the complete opposite

But since you never set foot in college, I can see how you feel that way

Rick Santorum was one of the last two Republicans standing when the nod finally went to Mitt. But I think Rick speaks for the majority of the GOP when it comes to the value of education.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm878T4iykc

If that is all he called Obama, his criticism didn't go nearly far enough!

Yea, because education is so worthless. Stupid foreigners sending there kids here because they think American schools are the best in the world.

Oh wait, those are in Blue States. I guess that makes all the difference.

Rick Santorum was one of the last two Republicans standing when the nod finally went to Mitt. But I think Rick speaks for the majority of the GOP when it comes to the value of education.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm878T4iykc

If that is all he called Obama, his criticism didn't go nearly far enough!

Yea, because education is so worthless. Stupid foreigners sending there kids here because they think American schools are the best in the world.

Oh wait, those are in Blue States. I guess that makes all the difference.

How many foreigners are sending their kids to American public schools?

Forum List

Back