The US is falling behind China in technology

Wuwei

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2015
While the Right and Left are at each others throats with political quarreling and congress is sluggish on everything except trying to get reelected, the US is falling behind technologically.

Our interests in schooling seems to be centered on bickering about masks and vaccinations and dampened by too much bureaucracy and low teachers salaries. We should be doing what needs to be done to further US education.

China is vying to be the next top superpower and is on track of winning in a decade or so. What can we do?

Last year China produced 50% of the world’s computers and mobile phones; the U.S. produced only 6%. China produces 70 solar panels for each one produced in the U.S., sells four times the number of electric vehicles, and has nine times as many 5G base stations, with network speeds five times as fast as American equivalents.
China is poised to overtake the U.S. as the global leader in AI by 2030. U.S.-born students are earning roughly as many doctorates each year in AI-related fields as in 1990, while China is on track to graduate twice as many science, technology engineering and mathematics Ph.D.s as the U.S. by 2025. China now clearly tops the U.S. in practical AI applications, including facial recognition, voice recognition and fintech

While the Right and Left are at each others throats with political quarreling and congress is sluggish on everything except trying to get reelected, the US is falling behind technologically.

Our interests in schooling seems to be centered on bickering about masks and vaccinations and dampened by too much bureaucracy and low teachers salaries. We should be doing what needs to be done to further US education.

China is vying to be the next top superpower and is on track of winning in a decade or so. What can we do?

Last year China produced 50% of the world’s computers and mobile phones; the U.S. produced only 6%. China produces 70 solar panels for each one produced in the U.S., sells four times the number of electric vehicles, and has nine times as many 5G base stations, with network speeds five times as fast as American equivalents.
China is poised to overtake the U.S. as the global leader in AI by 2030. U.S.-born students are earning roughly as many doctorates each year in AI-related fields as in 1990, while China is on track to graduate twice as many science, technology engineering and mathematics Ph.D.s as the U.S. by 2025. China now clearly tops the U.S. in practical AI applications, including facial recognition, voice recognition and fintech
Did they really develop all that or just steal it from others?

Dems don't think America should be the lone super power...they have said as much....they work very hard to ensure that we aren't number one at anything other than stupidity.....
Then what do you think dems should do?

Did they really develop all that or just steal it from others?
There is no doubt that they stole from others but we were too free in the past with technology disclosures and too insecure in internet access.

Last edited:
You hear this once a year and people have been saying it for 20 years.

Before China, it was Russia who was beating us.

And it's an "opinion" piece.

I have an opinion.

You have an opinion.

And the guy who wrote this opinion piece has an opinion.

And it's an "opinion" piece.

I have an opinion.

You have an opinion.

And the guy who wrote this opinion piece has an opinion.
Certainly opinion is the nature of the article. The figures he cited came from studies and are not opinions. Do you think we don't have to worry about our future given what China is doing?

I doubt anyone gains wisdom with war.
So do I. I don't know why you brought that up. But we as a country aren't moving ahead technologically as fast as China, and we better not get involved in war.

So do I. I don't know why you brought that up. But we as a country aren't moving ahead technologically as fast as China, and we better not get involved in war.
resources and manufacturing win wars, my friend as long as the capitalists run the show China will win.

resources and manufacturing win wars, my friend as long as the capitalists run the show China will win.
The wars have forced the US to enhance technology and we did. However what you say is only part of the picture.
Corporations, the government, and the citizens favor short term gains over long term prosperity.

It's hard to imagine what America's best choice on dealing with China should be.

Anti-China attempts to destroy China's economy aren't having the desired effect due to China taking precautions to diversify their markets and build for their own domestic consumption.

And friendly competition with China doesn't appear to be possible for so many obvious reasons.

And a third option of a hot war with China is full of pitfalls.

I can't think of another option but this thread provides a good opportunity for a rational discussion.

Can America just accept 2nd. place and do it's best with that? Would losing world superiority and the advantage of plunder of small country resources be too damaging to the US economy?
Please take that as a serious question and not an attempt to arouse emotions. China intends to plunder but not in the same accustomed way. Ask me.

Let this thread be a chance for serious discussion this time!

Forum List

Back