The Upside of Immigration

BlackAsCoal

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2008
Many of the economic benefits of immigration are detailed here in a study by UC Berekely.

The Economic Benefits of Immigration
IMMIGRATION: The Economic Benefits of Immigration

But as an African-American, the benefit I look forward to most is how immigration affects demographics, thus politics in this nation. As the data has demonstrated, immigrants are more progressive and open to a more tolerant and fair society. Politically, they diminish the power and importance of conservatism.

Immigration will most certainly lead to a more competitive society, but competition drives innovation, and instead of fearing competition, Americans should embrace it .. especially in a society further removed from the shackles of 'free market' conservatism.

There is no such thing as a 'free market.'

Many of the economic benefits of immigration are detailed here in a study by UC Berekely.

But as an African-American, the benefit I look forward to most is how immigration affects demographics, thus politics in this nation. As the data has demonstrated, immigrants are more progressive and open to a more tolerant and fair society. Politically, they diminish the power and importance of conservatism.

Immigration will most certainly lead to a more competitive society, but competition drives innovation, and instead of fearing competition, Americans should embrace it .. especially in a society further removed from the shackles of 'free market' conservatism.

Try and tell that to the 200 Disney IT workers and others who were forced out of their jobs and to train their HB 1 foreign replacements hired at half their salary.

Immigration will most certainly lead to a more competitive society

Blacks have been losing the competition with illegals.

The entire reason illegal migration across the border should be stopped.

When I read posts as asinine as this I understand why they have to print the phrase "not for human consumption" on jars of fish bait.

People that stupid are only alive because of all the safety warnings.

Historically speaking, the reason why immigration has been limited in this country was to protect workers from working for low wages. I'm getting a little tired of the fact that the only jobs available are shit jobs that pay less then $10 an hour. I can imagine the positive effective of removing 11 million people from this country such as lower crime and forcing employers to pay better wages.

Competition is whats in the way of you getting what you need and want.

A smart human REDUCES competition. Life is too short.

Try and tell that to the 200 Disney IT workers and others who were forced out of their jobs and to train their HB 1 foreign replacements hired at half their salary.

I worked for Oracle for many years as a DBA. Half of Oracle is made up of immigrants from India, and I'm betting that immigrants from India are well-represented in the Disney situation.

Is that the result of immigration, or is it the result of a top-heavy corporate model where profit is the only consideration? Could there be another model that benefits workers as much as those at the top?

In the world of IT, many jobs and tasks we need can be performed without ever stepping foot in this country.

For Americans to compete with the rest of the world, we are going to have to be better educated .. and we could use a different model.

I am a white immigrant. I came nearly 60 years ago. To this day I still need to answer the question where I came from. If black people were asked which African country they came from they would cry "RACISM", in spite of the fact that they call themselves "African Americans" but could not point to Africa on the globe if their lives depended on it..

It is safe to say that I speak better English than most black people. No Ebonics for me. Grammar correct. Vocabulary and knowledge of words and expressions abundant. Yeah, but there is that accent. Hard to shake. Every bit as good for discrimination as color of skin.

I don't bitch about it. Bitching is for losers.

The "Center for Latin American Studies" at Berkley is hardly what I would call an unbiased source. Just a quick perusal through their report produces the first dubious theory. The document claims that businesses respond to increased immigration by increasing investment. Do they? Why would a bigger supply of labor cause a business to invest? That's not a theory I have ever read in any book about economics. And even if they did invest more, would it be enough to offset the downward pressure on wages caused by the increased supply of labor?

The expectation of increased profits is what causes businesses to invest. I fail to see how a bigger labor supply would indicate to business that bigger profits are to be had, unless you assume it will drive the price of wages down. In which case, the profits disappear if the wages return to their previous level. Seems like a vicious merry-go-round at best. The best that can happen is that wages return to their previous level - wage stagnation, in other words.

I worked for Oracle for many years as a DBA. Half of Oracle is made up of immigrants from India, and I'm betting that immigrants from India are well-represented in the Disney situation.

Is that the result of immigration, or is it the result of a top-heavy corporate model where profit is the only consideration? Could there be another model that benefits workers as much as those at the top?

How could it possibly happen without immigration? Your economic theories ignore the simplest and most obvious facts.

In the world of IT, many jobs and tasks we need can be performed without ever stepping foot in this country.

For Americans to compete with the rest of the world, we are going to have to be better educated .. and we could use a different model.

There are still jobs that require talent to be local. That's why I still have a job. Whether we are able to compete with the rest of the world is one thing. Whether we improve our wages in doing so is another. What's the point of training and education if employers can replace us with cheaper foreign labor from India were IT professionals make a fraction of what they make here?

I am a white immigrant. I came nearly 60 years ago. To this day I still need to answer the question where I came from. If black people were asked which African country they came from they would cry "RACISM", in spite of the fact that they call themselves "African Americans" but could not point to Africa on the globe if their lives depended on it..

It is safe to say that I speak better English than most black people. No Ebonics for me. Grammar correct. Vocabulary and knowledge of words and expressions abundant. Yeah, but there is that accent. Hard to shake. Every bit as good for discrimination as color of skin.

Nor do I bitch about people like you. I purposefully speak ebonics when I want to, and can speak English as well as you can .. and I can call myself African-American without your permission. Not sure how dumb one would have to be not to know why many African-Americans don't know where in Africa they came from .. but it's real safe to say they came from Africa .. as do all modern day humans.

Where exactly in Africa do YOU come from? :0)

You can be whatever you want to be dude .. why would I care? But, as I've said, one reason why I embrace immigration because it reduces the stench of the right-wing.

Pretty sure that's not on your agenda, but I absolutely could not care less.

... But, as I've said, one reason why I embrace immigration because it reduces the stench of the right-wing.

So you admit that this was never intended to be anything more than another hyper-partisan troll thread?

Competition is whats in the way of you getting what you need and want.

A smart human REDUCES competition. Life is too short.
No, reducing competition reduces innovation and reduces being smart with the money you have, in order to compete, and competition keeps prices down, for everyone....one reason why monopolies are illegal....

... But, as I've said, one reason why I embrace immigration because it reduces the stench of the right-wing.

So you admit that this was never intended to be anything more than another hyper-partisan troll thread?

You can call it whatever you want. Why would I care?

Immigration benefits the growing economy, and it reduces the stench of the right-wing. I've said that clearly .. but feel free to make up whatever makes you comfortable.

You can call it whatever you want. Why would I care?

Immigration benefits the growing economy, and it reduces the stench of the right-wing. I've said that clearly .. but feel free to make up whatever makes you comfortable.

Why pretend your nonsense has anything to do with immigration? You are just another mindless, hyper-partisan drone taking up space with another troll thread. You don't know or give a shit about immigration, you just feel compelled to chant your mindless mantra.

Nor do I bitch about people like you. I purposefully speak ebonics when I want to, and can speak English as well as you can .. and I can call myself African-American without your permission. Not sure how dumb one would have to be not to know why many African-Americans don't know where in Africa they came from .. but it's real safe to say they came from Africa .. as do all modern day humans.

You can be whatever you want to be dude .. why would I care? But, as I've said, one reason why I embrace immigration because it reduces the stench of the right-wing.

Yeah the leftard clown posse of sniveling pussies are a better alternative than the neocon POS...you betcha. Both are just different sides of the same coin. This intentional watering down of our nationalism is all by design and stupid fuckwads like you actually applaud it....un -fucking real. I am often amazed at the utter stupidity that I come across on forums like this one....it's jaw dropping.

You are what is known as a "useful idiot". Free Markets don't shackle you, but Big Government certainly does.

Yeah the leftard clown posse of sniveling pussies are a better alternative than the neocon POS...you betcha. Both are just different sides of the same coin. This intentional watering down of our nationalism is all by design and stupid fuckwads like you actually applaud it....un -fucking real. I am often amazed at the utter stupidity that I come across on forums like this one....it's jaw dropping.

No one would blame you if you were so outraged that you decided to leave forever. No, really, go.

Forum List

Back