The University of America

G Edward Cook

Rookie
Feb 19, 2006
Simpson, Pennsylvania
by G. Edward Cook

America had been the most educated country in the world back in the eighteen hundreds. This was because "We the People" created public education. This enabled the America to become the leading country during the industrial revolution and the most powerful country in the world.

America is still the most powerful country in the world; however, we are no longer the best educated country. The University of America could make America number one again.

The University of America would be a public on line university that is affordable to all Americans. To enroll you go to “The University of America gov” and sign up. Don’t try to go there now because it does not exist yet! Everything you need such as books and classes are on line. Tests would be given at locations across America every month. You could work hard and get your diploma in three years or take your time and take five or six years. You can’t flunk out, If you fail a section you can keep taking it until you can pass the test.

After you complete and pass all tests you will receive your diploma. On January first after you receive your diploma the IRS will start taxing you an extra 10 percent of your income for five years to pay for your education. Everyone should be able to earn 10 percent more with a college education so your cost of college would not really cost you anything.

Private colleges would be able to join in under the same rules, except all testing would be done by The University of America.

We can make America the best educated country in the world.

I welcome your thoughts!

Thanks,
G. Edward Cook Link deleted by moderator

G Edward Cook said:
by G. Edward Cook

America had been the most educated country in the world back in the eighteen hundreds. This was because "We the People" created public education. This enabled the America to become the leading country during the industrial revolution and the most powerful country in the world.

America is still the most powerful country in the world; however, we are no longer the best educated country. The University of America could make America number one again.

The University of America would be a public on line university that is affordable to all Americans. To enroll you go to “The University of America gov” and sign up. Don’t try to go there now because it does not exist yet! Everything you need such as books and classes are on line. Tests would be given at locations across America every month. You could work hard and get your diploma in three years or take your time and take five or six years. You can’t flunk out, If you fail a section you can keep taking it until you can pass the test.

After you complete and pass all tests you will receive your diploma. On January first after you receive your diploma the IRS will start taxing you an extra 10 percent of your income for five years to pay for your education. Everyone should be able to earn 10 percent more with a college education so your cost of college would not really cost you anything.

Private colleges would be able to join in under the same rules, except all testing would be done by The University of America.

I welcome your thoughts!

Thanks,
G. Edward Cook link deleted by moderator and post screw up too i guess

I'd be on board as a major investor if you could guarantee a curriculum with mandatory basic economic principles as a core curriculum, an objective approach to history, and NO VICTIMOLOGY departments. People should learn positive skills, not merely a vocabulary of criticism and condemnation of the successful.

G Edward Cook said:
Everyone should be able to earn 10 percent more with a college education so your cost of college would not really cost you anything.

Not true - my job won't suddenly start paying MORE cuz I got 'educated'.

:)

G Edward Cook said:
by G. Edward Cook

I welcome your thoughts!

Thanks,
G. Edward Cook Link deleted by moderator

The idea has flaws.

First the 10% average increase in the wages of collage graduates would decline as the # of available graduates increased

Second it would further elevate private colledges such as harvard

Third degrees recieved online are often held in lower regard than those recueved at a physical universty

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
deaddude said:
The idea has flaws.

First the 10% average increase in the wages of collage graduates would decline as the # of available graduates increased

Second it would further elevate private colledges such as harvard

Third degrees recieved online are often held in lower regard than those recueved at a physical universty

I agree, I think 10% would be a bit high. Plus if the college acepted everyone it wouldn't be as valued as a sign of education by an employer.

The top fifty colleges are already elevated, especially Harvard. There isn't really much higher they can go. For example, the fact the you choose to mention Harvard of all the universities and colleges in this country highlights it's present dominance.

Online college degrees are looked down upon, but if employers knew about the quality of the program, that would raise (or lower) the weight of the degree; however, having a college degree, even from an online university, is better than having no college degree. One possibility is to impliment the program with local community colleges across the country to provide local classes, tuitoring, and testing.

Mr.Conley said:
I agree, I think 10% would be a bit high. Plus if the college acepted everyone it wouldn't be as valued as a sign of education by an employer.

Let's hear it for naked elitism. At least put on a robe.

rtwngAvngr said:
Let's hear it for naked elitism. At least put on a robe.

He's actually right on that one. The more restrictive/elite a school, the more the diploma is "worth." That's why West Point/Annapolis grads are so in demand in the business world.

G Edward Cook said:
by G. Edward Cook

We were already well-educated before the advent of widespread public schooling (which was borrowed from the statist model of Prussia). And even then, public education was entirely handled at the state/local level, by communities and so forth.

There is no reason to continue mindlessly centralizing education. It shouldn't be a state-level thing, much less federal level. Besides the fact that your proposal would violate the 10th amendment, education is not rocket science. Increasingly poor performance has gone hand-in-hand with increasing government intervention.

dmp said:
Not true - my job won't suddenly start paying MORE cuz I got 'educated'.

:)

Thank you, yes. Some jobs really require educated people. Other jobs, they simply choose college grads because...well, they can. There's a glut of them. A trained monkey could do my job. So why did I get picked? They needed some arbitrary criteria to weed people out with. It's not that college made me that much more productive than someone who learned on the job; it's that my diploma simply certifies that I can work reasonably hard and that I am teachable.

G Edward Cook said:
A STRONG AMERICA is an Educated America!!!

Sincerely,
G Edward Cook

While true, tax funded government schools are not the way to get people educated. The only thing they're good for is giving incompetant 'educators' and administrators a job and coddling kids so much that they break down in tears the first time they're turned down for a job.

We were already well-educated before the advent of widespread public schooling (which was borrowed from the statist model of Prussia). And even then, public education was entirely handled at the state/local level, by communities and so forth.

There is no reason to continue mindlessly centralizing education. It shouldn't be a state-level thing, much less federal level. Besides the fact that your proposal would violate the 10th amendment, education is not rocket science. Increasingly poor performance has gone hand-in-hand with increasing government intervention.

Thank you, yes. Some jobs really require educated people. Other jobs, they simply choose college grads because...well, they can. There's a glut of them. A trained monkey could do my job. So why did I get picked? They needed some arbitrary criteria to weed people out with. It's not that college made me that much more productive than someone who learned on the job; it's that my diploma simply certifies that I can work reasonably hard and that I am teachable.

Forum List

Back