The U.S. War On Drugs May Soon Run Into A Problem...

We don't have the resources to keep human beings out. How can we keep out illegal drugs?
We need to end the war on drugs by a surge: try every drug dealer and execute him if found guilty. End of problem.

The thing is that doesn't necessarily work, they do that very thing in Iran when they catch drug dealers and they still have a huge drug problem there, especially with heroin.

For the right price, people will do anything.

Make capital punishment for speeding, and you offer to give me $10 million to drive 10 over the limit on a country road for an hour, I'll do it.

Yup, just killing every drug dealer you see won't stop the problem, like I said other countries are already doing that and it doesn't work.

Not sure how it would cause hell. Central America would be stripping power and money away from the drug lords. No doubt there would be some backlash from the cartels who would be trying to retain their status, but they would quickly fade away due to lack of money and influence.

Well I'm talking about here, legalized narcotics across the border in Mexico and Central America would make it 10 times easier for folks to smuggle drugs across into our country, unless we followed suit and made this all legal as well.

Legalizing Marijuana here, would be a good start. It just makes sense now. It's time to empty our Prisons of the Millions who don't belong there.

I'm all for legalizing the buddha, its time.

From The Guatemala Times

US no longer dominates drug war agenda in Central America

The President of Guatemala, Otto Perez put the issue of drug legalization on the SICA agenda in a historic meeting in Antigua, Guatemala on Saturday, despite the efforts of a certain power to get the meeting canceled at the last minute. For the first time 3 Central American Leaders defied the US and send a strong and clear message: we consider the war on drugs failed, we demand that US takes the responsibility, we demand the US pays, we are not paying the price for US failure.

It is very clear that the Presidents of Central America and many Latin American countries are tired of the empty promises and empty US rhetoric on the war on drugs. They have also learned the lesson from Mexico, where President Calderon has been doing as the US asks, turning the country into a bloodbath. Last week Gen. Charles Jacoby, commander of U.S. Northern Command, said during testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee: Mexico’s “decapitation” strategy of capturing or killing high-value drug cartel leaders with the help of U.S. has a problem, it isn´t working. “The decapitation strategy — they’ve been successful at that. Twenty-two out of the top 37 trafficking figures that the Mexican government has gone after have been taken off the board. But it has not had an appreciable effect — an appreciable, positive effect.”

It would certainly seem as though, the drug war may come to an end due to necessity rather than pure intellectual reasoning. Some may say that it doesn't necessarily matter what the root cause of the ending of the drug war was or is, but I think that the reasons do matter. The difference will be that between leading a decent, prosperous, and acceptable life and leading a life of scorn, disapproval, and possibly poverty.

The U.S. War on Drugs may soon run into a problem | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012

Good! We are broke and can't afford to be fighting ANY wars anymore...

Legalize drugs stop the crime.

The assailants were reported dressed in all black with masks over their faces and wielded martial arts batons — known as tong fa — to intimidate the deliveryman around 10 p.m. last Friday at an apartment house along the 800 block of South Sunset Avenue in West Covina, police said.

“After he made his delivery, he was walking back to his vehicle and was approached by two males in their 20s wearing ninja costumes and holding white batons,” said Sgt. Travis Tibbets.

The victim dropped the bag of marijuana and fled the scene, said Tibbets

Medical Marijuana Deliveryman Robbed By Baton-Wielding Ninjas In West Covina « CBS Los Angeles

Weren't you the one who told me legalizing drugs would not necessarily reduce the crime rate?

Probably so because it woudn't.

When medical marijuana was first legalized every city intended to solve their budget woes by having a pot clinic with money flowing in. Two of these cities I am familiar with, Torrance and Lake Forest. The increase in crime, vandalism and disorderly behavior soon proved too much for the residents of these cities to tolerate and the city halls were beseiged with angry residents demanding the city pull the business licenses. Pot advocates loaded up affidavits purporting to "prove" that crime actually went DOWN in cities that had pot clinics. The residents, having a much different personal experience kept it up until there are no more clinics in either Torrance or Lake Forest.

Now you can see why.

From The Guatemala Times

US no longer dominates drug war agenda in Central America

The President of Guatemala, Otto Perez put the issue of drug legalization on the SICA agenda in a historic meeting in Antigua, Guatemala on Saturday, despite the efforts of a certain power to get the meeting canceled at the last minute. For the first time 3 Central American Leaders defied the US and send a strong and clear message: we consider the war on drugs failed, we demand that US takes the responsibility, we demand the US pays, we are not paying the price for US failure.

It is very clear that the Presidents of Central America and many Latin American countries are tired of the empty promises and empty US rhetoric on the war on drugs. They have also learned the lesson from Mexico, where President Calderon has been doing as the US asks, turning the country into a bloodbath. Last week Gen. Charles Jacoby, commander of U.S. Northern Command, said during testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee: Mexico’s “decapitation” strategy of capturing or killing high-value drug cartel leaders with the help of U.S. has a problem, it isn´t working. “The decapitation strategy — they’ve been successful at that. Twenty-two out of the top 37 trafficking figures that the Mexican government has gone after have been taken off the board. But it has not had an appreciable effect — an appreciable, positive effect.”

It would certainly seem as though, the drug war may come to an end due to necessity rather than pure intellectual reasoning. Some may say that it doesn't necessarily matter what the root cause of the ending of the drug war was or is, but I think that the reasons do matter. The difference will be that between leading a decent, prosperous, and acceptable life and leading a life of scorn, disapproval, and possibly poverty.

The U.S. War on Drugs may soon run into a problem | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012

Good! We are broke and can't afford to be fighting ANY wars anymore...

Yeah, well said. It's like when they started boasting about conducting a 'Drug War' in Afghanistan. Once i started hearing that, i knew all was lost over there. That's not why we went there.

The assailants were reported dressed in all black with masks over their faces and wielded martial arts batons — known as tong fa — to intimidate the deliveryman around 10 p.m. last Friday at an apartment house along the 800 block of South Sunset Avenue in West Covina, police said.

“After he made his delivery, he was walking back to his vehicle and was approached by two males in their 20s wearing ninja costumes and holding white batons,” said Sgt. Travis Tibbets.

Medical Marijuana Deliveryman Robbed By Baton-Wielding Ninjas In West Covina « CBS Los Angeles

Weren't you the one who told me legalizing drugs would not necessarily reduce the crime rate?

When medical marijuana was first legalized every city intended to solve their budget woes by having a pot clinic with money flowing in. Two of these cities I am familiar with, Torrance and Lake Forest. The increase in crime, vandalism and disorderly behavior soon proved too much for the residents of these cities to tolerate and the city halls were beseiged with angry residents demanding the city pull the business licenses. Pot advocates loaded up affidavits purporting to "prove" that crime actually went DOWN in cities that had pot clinics. The residents, having a much different personal experience kept it up until there are no more clinics in either Torrance or Lake Forest.

Now you can see why.

Legalizing medical marijuana isn't even in the same ballpark as legalizing drugs or legalizing marijuana.

The thing is that doesn't necessarily work, they do that very thing in Iran when they catch drug dealers and they still have a huge drug problem there, especially with heroin.

Make capital punishment for speeding, and you offer to give me $10 million to drive 10 over the limit on a country road for an hour, I'll do it.

Yup, just killing every drug dealer you see won't stop the problem, like I said other countries are already doing that and it doesn't work.

It worked in China.

And it does work in Iran. Just because drug use or drug selling hasn't been completely eradicated doesn't mean anything. There is absolutely not the problem in these countries that we have here.

It worked in China.

And it does work in Iran. Just because drug use or drug selling hasn't been completely eradicated doesn't mean anything. There is absolutely not the problem in these countries that we have here.

How do you figure it works in Iran? those guys have just as much a drug problem as we do, especially with heroin.

Now you can see why.

Hmm, if this is the case why do so many people keep claiming that legalizing drugs will make dangerous neighborhoods safe again?

The only way to reduce drug use is to make people not want to take drugs in the first place. It isn't drugs themselves that is causing our drug woes, it's that we have such a significant percentage of the population that finds it necessary to get high to get through the day. Then they get so high, they can't get through the day. They become unable to care for themselves.

Legalize drugs, all of them, and call non-drug users survivors.

It worked in China.

How do you figure it works in Iran? those guys have just as much a drug problem as we do, especially with heroin.

Yeah once you're addicted to it you don't care about the law, no matter how strong the penalties.

Using the drug can kill you, what would the drug user care that IF gov't finds out they'll punish you harshly?

It worked in China.

Yeah once you're addicted to it you don't care about the law, no matter how strong the penalties.

Using the drug can kill you, what would the drug user care that IF gov't finds out they'll punish you harshly?

Iran has some of the strongest heroin in the world bro and people are paying good money for it, hanging drug dealers in Iran isn't stopping anything because there are plenty of people lined up to take the risk because theres alot of cash in this.

The only way to reduce drug use is to make people not want to take drugs in the first place. It isn't drugs themselves that is causing our drug woes, it's that we have such a significant percentage of the population that finds it necessary to get high to get through the day. Then they get so high, they can't get through the day. They become unable to care for themselves.

You just said in your other post legalizing marjiuana made everything worse, so why should we legalize everything across the board?

I think cleansing society from major drug problems comes from a societal change in how we view drug use.

If we viewed it as a disease, and viewed rehab centers as a good source for charitable giving, I think we'd fix it a lot more. Viewing addicts as the scum of society who deserve to be put in jail just to get out and use again is just keeping a vicious cycle going. It's a long term cycle too, kids of addicts more likely to use than regular kids, then their kids will use, then their kids, and on and on and on and on.

Iran has some of the strongest heroin in the world bro and people are paying good money for it, hanging drug dealers in Iran isn't stopping anything because there are plenty of people lined up to take the risk because theres alot of cash in this.

I'm sure, and since there's money involved, I'm sure there's plenty of gov't bureacrats on the take who don't really want to see it gone.

I'm sure, and since there's money involved, I'm sure there's plenty of gov't bureacrats on the take who don't really want to see it gone.

Of course, same as here and the rest of the world.

It worked in China.

Nope. Heroin is an export, a big export. It's how terrorism is funded. Heroin use is against islamic law.

If you want to explore what serious widespread drug use looks like, see what khat has done. Unlike other forms of drugs, khat is perfectly legal under islamic law because someone high on khat can still go to prayers. Consequently khat is very popular sometimes compared to coffee or cocktails. The effect of perfectly legal khat....:

A khat-addled public is more inclined to complacency about the failings of the government, khat ceremonies reinforce the exclusion of women from power and, as is obvious to anyone finding a government office nearly empty on a weekday morning, khat is keeping the country awake well past its bedtime.

"You sit up discussing all your problems and think you've solved everything, but in fact you haven't done anything in the last four hours, because you've just been chewing khat and all your problems actually got worse," says Adel al-Shujaa, a professor of political science at Sana'a University and the head of the Yemen Without Khat Association. Plus, he says, "all the decisions you've made are bad because you've made them while on khat."

Read more: Is Yemen Chewing Itself to Death? - TIME

Khat is pretty much like pot.

Forum List

Back