Zone1 The Truth

Good question. Not easily answered. Good thing is I already did in a few other OP's. The conversation I'm having is also interesting in those I believe.

This is about sourcing

This one I can't quote for some reason but it directly answers your question.

My main motivation to be here is to get as close to the "truth" as I can. What I mean by that is testing myself to see how close my opinions are to reality. To learn, and hopefully become a better person. Realizing full well that I am a narcissist and as such by definition think I'm perfect.

To do this I question myself first and foremost, and when I talk to someone I follow some very basic rules for how I do it.
-I try to avoid fallacious arguments. There are many, some of them are hard to spot, and I'm not always successful, but a fallacy by definition is a bad argument. Using them doesn't invalidate the premise, but it doesn't further it. They are things you use quite a lot of the time when you can't come up with a good argument.
-I don't avoid direct questions when asked. I'm not saying I never miss one but dodging something you don't have a good reply to is cowardice in my opinion. It also gets me in trouble. Because it gives the person I talk to an easy way to derail a debate. Simply ask me questions, and pretty soon I'll be a dog chasing my tail. It's by the way also why I'm going on this tangent, and at the same time am trying to refocus the debate.
-I source what I say and check other people's sources. Something by the way I've learned over the years is an incredible way to educate yourself.
-I make an effort to look at an opponent's argument with an open mind. This is incredibly hard. Ego is a hard thing to overcome.
-I strive for intellectual honesty. Again, not always successful sometimes, again my ego gets in the way.
Excellent!

My reason for being here is similar.

I like having my knowledge challenged. My conceptions questioned. My best time here is when someone forces me to go look for the information I need to back or attack a proposition.

Unfortunately, few seek to challenge but rather to deny facts when presented and insult the presentation of truth the don't like.

Excellent!

My reason for being here is similar.

I like having my knowledge challenged. My conceptions questioned. My best time here is when someone forces me to go look for the information I need to back or attack a proposition.

Unfortunately, few seek to challenge but rather to deny facts when presented and insult the presentation of truth the don't like.
It's the curse of the internet, I think. There are no consequences to dishonesty. Talking face-to-face makes it harder to deflect. It makes it impossible to just leave without implying you lost the argument. You can't just say what you want.

Here you don't have to look the people in the eyes. Who really cares what they think. It's all about the fight, not about truth.

My best time here is when someone forces me to go look for the information I need to back or attack a proposition.

i love it when i am challenged on something i post & show proof & voila! ...

crickets.

It's the curse of the internet, I think. There are no consequences to dishonesty. Talking face-to-face makes it harder to deflect. It makes it impossible to just leave without implying you lost the argument. You can't just say what you want.

Here you don't have to look the people in the eyes. Who really cares what they think. It's all about the fight, not about truth.
It's a political forum.
I'm not here to chat with people with whom I agree.
I learn nothing from those with which I agree but I do hope to learn from the others.
There is no changing of opinions here.
I understand folks "on the other side" go to place like EPOCH TIMES, NEWSMAX, STORMFRONT and others to have their lunacies confirmed and why those confirmations drive their hatred of what they call MSM.
My beliefs are confirmed here when I read the lunacies posted and feel the hate that consumes them and I do laugh at what must be their view of their place in the world as it is true "we are all the heroes of our own stories."

It's a political forum.
I'm not here to chat with people with whom I agree.
I learn nothing from those with which I agree but I do hope to learn from the others.
There is no changing of opinions here.
I understand folks "on the other side" go to place like EPOCH TIMES, NEWSMAX, STORMFRONT and others to have their lunacies confirmed and why those confirmations drive their hatred of what they call MSM.
My beliefs are confirmed here when I read the lunacies posted and feel the hate that consumes them and I do laugh at what must be their view of their place in the world as it is true "we are all the heroes of our own stories."
Actually, I have changed my opinion on here. Not just conceded a point, but realized my basic premise wasn't tenable and said as much. Probably makes me unique in this forum.

It always gets me how everybody here pretends they are right about everything. Never ever questioning how ludicrous that actual belief is. Nobody is perfect and all-knowing. Nor is being right all the time a sign of strength or intelligence. I know for a fact that admitting fault takes infinitely more courage than insisting you're right when you're obviously wrong and no one no, matter how smart can reasonably be expected to be right all the time.

Actually, I have changed my opinion on here. Not just conceded a point, but realized my basic premise wasn't tenable and said as much. Probably makes me unique in this forum.

It always gets me how everybody here pretends they are right about everything. Never ever questioning how ludicrous that actual belief is. Nobody is perfect and all-knowing. Nor is being right all the time a sign of strength or intelligence. I know for a fact that admitting fault takes infinitely more courage than insisting you're right when you're obviously wrong and no one no, matter how smart can reasonably be expected to be right all the time.
That you've changed your mind is commendable.
That you're open to changing your mind is admirable.

Me too. You're cursed with being right more of the time than anyone else here. Better you than me. :04:

DESK TOP.jpg

;)

It was bad enought FBI and their underhanded lying BS caused truth, justice, and the American way to go South. Now they murder the elderly using the excuse he had on a tie with a AR-15 type tie clasp. A full murder squad invaded his home at 6:15 in the morning using the lame reason he talked trash about that worthless stupid walking coma. Its time to end this scum that murder and try to over throw a setting president. It's not a some delusion. It's a fact government agencies are murdering the elderly or any citizen that refuse to ignore their lawless treason. Over 2000 agencies and we need these criminals?! It's time the government fear us, not the other way around. When a whole team of FBI storm a 75 year old man's home in the early morning, killing him it can only be murder. Show your discust or bow down to this murdering low crawling shits. The FBI have always been cross dressing homos hanging out in airport bathroom stalls trying to play footies with the guy in the next stall and if the guy resist their advances he kills them . Ain't that right Hoover. I have never been a sheep and you shouldn't either. It's not 'they use to be such good and honorable men'. They have never been honorable! Same with the DoJ. We don't need this. End 1,500 government agencies. Then we will only have 465 more to end.

The universe contains much circumstantial evidence for the existence of a higher power and/or intelligence behind it all. But that is not PROOF that God exists, and therefore not a self-evident TRUTH.

The universe contains much circumstantial evidence for the existence of a higher power and/or intelligence behind it all. But that is not PROOF that God exists, and therefore not a self-evident TRUTH.
Am unable to process the statement DEMOCRACY DIES UNDER DEMOCRATES
How could it be possible that every one who voted for a person or thing promoted by the Democratic party, thinks the same way? work in lock step? and why would a view different than your own be less Democratic?
is not a different opinion the Conner stone of Democracy?

The election process is too dam important,
WE must learn/ trust/ figure out/ why we are( in the name of political party preference)
Willing to destroy a cornerstone of our country.

"Truth" is one of the myriad words that pretty much mean nothing, or anything, at this point.

When used in partisan rhetoric, saying "The Truth" is nothing more than saying, "something I agree with".

"You just can't handle The Truth" = "You disagree".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back