The Trillion Dollar Coin.

We have a plan. In fact, we have two plans.

One is that we need to keep and expand a generous welfare state, build strong military, develop a 21st sentry infrastructure, invest in education, science and new technologies. And we can easily afford to pay for it all.

The other plan only make sense if you think that the government is the beast. It call for as little of it as possible -- and if we leave our roads crumbling and poor children w/o access to health care and education, so be it. God will take care of everything, if not in this word, then in the next.

And the voters have to choose.

The

A generous welfare state? I must have missed that somehow. When did we agree to that?

I dunno.

When did we agree on an Air Force?

Computer Spies Breach Fighter-Jet Project - WSJ.com

Or corporate welfare to build expensive planes that never materialized?

The Air Force came into existence in its own right shortly after WWII. Before that is was a part of the Army. Having proven its effectiveness and as a reflection of its differing requirements, it was made independent. The military, politicians and the electorate seemed to support it at the time. Their plan was to counter future agression using air support.

Are you saying that we should scrap the Air Force?

The

A generous welfare state? I must have missed that somehow. When did we agree to that?

I dunno.

The Air Force came into existence in its own right shortly after WWII. Before that is was a part of the Army. Having proven its effectiveness and as a reflection of its differing requirements, it was made independent. The military, politicians and the electorate seemed to support it at the time. Their plan was to counter future agression using air support.

Going by the letter of the Constitution..the Professional Army and the Air Force aren't covered.

The Navy is..

So when you guys start yammering about being textualists..you seem to neglect those little things.

If I were the Democrats they can start to party now.

The spineless party or as we should call them the Republican party will
make all sorts of noise like they are really against the debt ceiling being raised unless it's tied to
spending cuts but will fold in the end.

Really now.

What kind of limits are on the government?

What kind of power is in the hands of the people?

Aren't you folks fond of saying we live in a constitutional republic?

Oh..and notice my OP sourced the Constitution.

I don't see you sourcing crap in your rants.

You're another one of those morons that think the 'General Welfare' clause gives Uncle Sam unlimited power.

You're an IDIOT!

Um yeah.

That along with:

Section 8.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

To establish post offices and post roads;

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;

To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

To provide and maintain a navy;

To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings;--And

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.

That's just the congress. We haven't even hit the President and Judicial Branch yet. You really should read this stuff. It would absolutely shock you.

:cool:

All very SPECIFIC functions, and the SUM TOTAL of what Congress can do Constitutionally.

IOW, if it's not one of those 'enumerated powers', it's not ALLOWED.

Or at least that's what our Founders INTENDED.

The root of our fiscal problem in a nutshell. Add a vision/plan of what it is that we need to build and we're back in business. The rest is nothing more than wishful thinking.

One is that we need to keep and expand a generous welfare state, build strong military, develop a 21st sentry infrastructure, invest in education, science and new technologies. And we can easily afford to pay for it all.

The other plan only make sense if you think that the government is the beast. It call for as little of it as possible -- and if we leave our roads crumbling and poor children w/o access to health care and education, so be it. God will take care of everything, if not in this word, then in the next.

I searched the internet and I'll be damned if I can find any mention of when we agreed to "expand a generous welfare state". Anyone?

Because we can't pay for it, genius. Get it?

Says who? And if we "can't pay for it" how are we managing to make payments right now?

We are borrowing the money to make the payments on the money we already borrowed.

And to take it a step further.Borrowing money to make the interest payments on the money that we borrowed because we don't have the money to pay back the money we borrowed. :D

And we still are borrowing money to spend....

And this is fine with these politicians?..... :mad:

Says who? And if we "can't pay for it" how are we managing to make payments right now?

We are borrowing the money to make the payments on the money we already borrowed.

And to take it a step further.Borrowing money to make the interest payments on the money that we borrowed because we don't have the money to pay back the money we borrowed. :D

And we still are borrowing money to spend....

And this is fine with these politicians?..... :mad:

So you want to cancel the debts?

Interesting.

I think the trillion dollar coin is a better idea..but heck..

We can start with cancelling debts to the defense contractors.

I dunno.

Going by the letter of the Constitution..the Professional Army and the Air Force aren't covered.

The Navy is..

So when you guys start yammering about being textualists..you seem to neglect those little things.

You seem to have a "one size fits all" type of mentality. You might want to read Article 1 Section 8 of the United States Constitution.

When did we agree to expand a generous welfare state?

The Navy is..

You seem to have a "one size fits all" type of mentality. You might want to read Article 1 Section 8 of the United States Constitution.

Which clauses are you referring too?

And you seem to not read your own posts.

Somehow it's okay to spend more money then we got on a permanent professional military that was never meant to be permanent or professional according to original intent but somehow it's not okay to feed starving kids even though we have so much food we throw it away.

:doubt:

Like turning a deficit into a surplus?

Like Clinton did?

I like that.

:clap2:
With the help of a Republican Congress don't forget that part the problem this is a different Congress and Obama is not Clinton.

Republicans didn't vote for Clinton's budget.

You knew that, right?
Yes the President submits a budget and then the negotiations begin with Congress something Clinton and the Republican controlled Congress were able to do you didn't think Clinton just submitted and passed a budget on his own did you? So far Obama has shown he was barely able to work with Congress when the Democrats held both the House and the Senate and has shown no real interest in working with Congress since the Dems lost the House and to be fair the House has been no better at working with Obama.

With the help of a Republican Congress don't forget that part the problem this is a different Congress and Obama is not Clinton.

Republicans didn't vote for Clinton's budget.

You knew that, right?
Yes the President submits a budget and then the negotiations begin with Congress something Clinton and the Republican controlled Congress were able to do you didn't think Clinton just submitted and passed a budget on his own did you? So far Obama has shown he was barely able to work with Congress when the Democrats held both the House and the Senate and has shown no real interest in working with Congress since the Dems lost the House and to be fair the House has been no better at working with Obama.

Let me expand on this a little.

Not only did they not vote on Clinton's budget, they shut the government down, twice.

And impeached him.

Clinton was not able to work so well with Republicans either.

I searched the internet and I'll be damned if I can find any mention of when we agreed to "expand a generous welfare state". Anyone?

I was describing a plan. You have asked for a plan, remember?

Last edited:

The Navy is..

Somehow it's okay to spend more money then we got on a permanent professional military that was never meant to be permanent or professional according to original intent but somehow it's not okay to feed starving kids even though we have so much food we throw it away.

Article 1 Section 8, in part: "To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces"

Now can you please answer what I asked? My question was: when did we agree to expand a generous welfare state?

Article 1 Section 8, in part: "To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces"

Now can you please answer what I asked? My question was: when did we agree to expand a generous welfare state?

Did you read all the powers?

Do so.

Get back to me.

Great. So your idea to increase our debt is in part to fund the expansion of a generous welfare state. Do I understand you correctly?

Great. So your idea to increase our debt is in part to fund the expansion of a generous welfare state. Do I understand you correctly?

No. While we can sustain much higher debt levels, long term we would have to raise taxes on the rich (at least) to pay for it.

When did Krugman become brain damaged?

That's terrible news.

You have a link?

Read ANY of his articles.

If you think he's sane, then you're brain-damaged.

The guy is creepy as well.

I've read plenty of his articles.

Nothing indicates Brain Damage.

Including the various awards, certifications and accolades.

So you are in "insult" mode..as evidenced by your post.

Which means you really don't have much to add here.

Except calling people names.

I don't mind..I can do either.

You dirty diaper head you.

All it takes to win a Nobel is for some lefty professor to nominate you, then have a body of work that proves how much you hate America, hate individual freedom, and loathe capitalism.

The Creepy Typing Ferret has it in his contract to always be introduced as "Nobel prize-winning" which means shit to normal folks who understand the process.

Read ANY of his articles.

If you think he's sane, then you're brain-damaged.

The guy is creepy as well.

I've read plenty of his articles.

Nothing indicates Brain Damage.

Including the various awards, certifications and accolades.

So you are in "insult" mode..as evidenced by your post.

Which means you really don't have much to add here.

Except calling people names.

I don't mind..I can do either.

You dirty diaper head you.

All it takes to win a Nobel is for some lefty professor to nominate you, then have a body of work that proves how much you hate America, hate individual freedom, and loathe capitalism.

The Creepy Typing Ferret has it in his contract to always be introduced as "Nobel prize-winning" which means shit to normal folks who understand the process.

Ah so..you have a Nobel?

You teach economics?

You published..anywhere?

I mean if this stuff is so easy..should be a cynch..right?

Forum List

Back