Zone1 The term "Personal relationship with Jesus" is not in the Bible

notmyfault2020

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2022
The term "Personal relationship with Jesus" is not in the Bible

Does that mean we shouldn't have a personal relationship with Him? Ha ha... not hardly.

I talk to Jesus just like Protestants do (or claim to..), although sometimes it seems I don't do so enough.. (considering how hideous the condition of the world is and etc... etc).

But it always bugged me... that one word: personal

Does this mean, to protestants, that you should not have a PUBLIC relationship w/ Christ? Do some protestants believe you should check your "relationship with Christ" at the door of your business or school or whatever? Well, in that case, I don't believe in having this kind of relationship.

And frankly, I do know of people who are like that... they claim to be Christian and act like it on Sunday but... when it comes to a public proclamation of what they stand for... uh.... stutter stutter..

But Jesus said that if you deny Him before men, He will deny you before the Father..

Did he say that ALL prayer should be private?

absolutely not

He himself went to the synagogue all the time
I never said he didn't. But he never got in front of a bunch of people like people do today and scream out his prayers trying to show how devout he was. He kept his prayers quiet and personal, even if doing them in public.

The once exception to this is when asked by supporters to show them how to pray properly.

The phrase sounds cool, so they've decided pretend it's in there. Not the first time made up shit became dogma.

• Banned
I never said he didn't. But he never got in front of a bunch of people like people do today and scream out his prayers trying to show how devout he was. He kept his prayers quiet and personal, even if doing them in public.

The once exception to this is when asked by supporters to show them how to pray properly.
not so. He preached in public all the time

Maybe you need to read up on the Gospel accounts and etc..

• Banned
The phrase sounds cool, so they've decided pretend it's in there. Not the first time made up shit became dogma.
well, maybe they figured it was inferred in the Words of Christ... but again... it's almost like those who adhere to this personal relationship doctrine are saying that you don't have to make a public stand for Christ (or maybe just not when it will cost you something?)

Preaching and praying are not the same thing.
really?

I rarely feel closer to God than when I am sharing Him with others.. Of course, if the others are antagonistic like the JWs... I feel somewhat closer to .. the other dude, the opposition.. :dev2::dev2:

James 4:8
8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

John 15:14-16
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

There are a lot of things that are considered part of Christianity that aren't in the bible.

The rapture, for example, is never mentioned.

There is no place in the bible where is says that Jesus will com back and call every single devout christian to heave and leave everyone else.

There is a part where he calls all of the dead from before his return.

In fact, the bible clearly states that the "great tribulation" which is supposed to happen AFTER the "raptire" wlll rest the faith of the devout. How is that supposed to happen if all of the devout are already in heaven?

The term "Personal relationship with Jesus" is not in the Bible

Does that mean we shouldn't have a personal relationship with Him? Ha ha... not hardly.

I talk to Jesus just like Protestants do (or claim to..), although sometimes it seems I don't do so enough.. (considering how hideous the condition of the world is and etc... etc).

But it always bugged me... that one word: personal

Does this mean, to protestants, that you should not have a PUBLIC relationship w/ Christ? Do some protestants believe you should check your "relationship with Christ" at the door of your business or school or whatever? Well, in that case, I don't believe in having this kind of relationship.

And frankly, I do know of people who are like that... they claim to be Christian and act like it on Sunday but... when it comes to a public proclamation of what they stand for... uh.... stutter stutter..

But Jesus said that if you deny Him before men, He will deny you before the Father..
Jesus is the reason that we don't need priests anymore.

His Sacrifice at the Cross obliterated that need.

He's our Priest, He's our Sacrifice, He's our Mediator, He's our Shepherd, He's our Saviour.

Why are you still going to a priest?

Actually, you used the fact that he went to the temple to preach to refute my statement that he never prayed openly in public. So Yes you did imply that the two were the same,
I'm sure he prayed while or after or before preaching.

hair splitter

Jesus is the reason that we don't need priests anymore.

His Sacrifice at the Cross obliterated that need.

He's our Priest, He's our Sacrifice, He's our Mediator, He's our Shepherd, He's our Saviour.

Why are you still going to a priest?
Tell that to Jesus who chose 12 Apostles.

You really should tell Jesus that His chosen humans or their successors are not needed anymore, that all we need is some "personal relationship" with Him and maybe a bible (never mind that there were no Bibles as we know them back then)

Yeh... tell Jesus how to set up HIs Church. He obviously didn't know what Protestants know... I guess He was as ignorant as I am...

Tell that to Jesus who chose 12 Apostles.

You really should tell Jesus that His chosen humans or their successors are not needed anymore, that all we need is some "personal relationship" with Him and maybe a bible (never mind that there were no Bibles as we know them back then)

Yeh... tell Jesus how to set up HIs Church. He obviously didn't know what Protestants know... I guess He was as ignorant as I am...
Are you trying to suggest that the Apostles held the role of your Priests?

Forum List

Back