The Supreme Court is not legislating from the bench

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
The 14th amendment was passed in 1868, guaranteeing all Americans equal protection under the law. The fact that the government has failed to fully act in accordance with that amendment doesn't make it "legislating from the bench" when the Court orders the government to comply with it. Gays have always had the right to equal protection under the law - the government has simply been violating that right, with regards to marriage, until now.

I'm not quite sure how the supposed liberty loving righties could be opposed to it. Unless they hate equal rights (they do).

The 14th amendment was passed in 1868, guaranteeing all Americans equal protection under the law. The fact that the government has failed to fully act in accordance with that amendment doesn't make it "legislating from the bench" when the Court orders the government to comply with it. Gays have always had the right to equal protection under the law - the government has simply been violating that right, with regards to marriage, until now.

I'm not quite sure how the supposed liberty loving righties could be opposed to it. Unless they hate equal rights (they do).

Republicans love legislating from the bench

Even Obamacare Haters Think Friday's Court Ruling Is Terrible | HuffPost

Gay marriage has nothing to do with equal rights or protection.

No one gay or straight has the right to get married

scotus says different— that’s that.

scotus says different— that’s that.
No they do not actually

Today we see more right wing judges legislating from the bench.

Well the legislature is judging cases with minimum sentencing guidelines....so why shouldn't the judges enact legislation.

Also you have legislatures fighting over partisan issues when there is actual legislation they can write and 99% of the population would rejoice over it....

But instead everyone is busy lining their pockets and putting on a dog and pony show of standing up to the other party.

Forum List

Back