CDZ The Sunni-Shia Drawingboard

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
When Americans entered into the cauldron of Vietnam, they were criticized for 'interfering' in a region and culture-specific 'civil war' between North and South Vietnam. Even students in America criticized the American government and U.S. troops for getting involved in an issue that they did not understand.

Today, the U.S. government is dealing with the intrigue and troubles in the Middle East and in regards to an age-old Israel-Palestine disagreement, Americans must understand how to handle all relevant socio-political and cultural issues related to Islam (and its conflicts with Judaism) and even specifics within the region of the Middle East itself.

The Muslim community is not unified currently. There is a split between 'Sunni' Muslims and 'Shia' Muslims. Sunnis dominate Saudi Arabia and Syria, while Shiites dominate Iran and Iraq. Osama bin Laden was a Sunni Muslim, while the Ayatollah is a Shiite Muslim. Sunnis often wear white religious clothing, while Shiites often wear black.

Sunnis are considered more 'worldly' and ornamental, while Shiites are considered more 'austere' and devout.

The split came after the death of the most important Islamic prophet Muhammad. Sunnis believed there was no designated successor to the prophet and so elected Muhammad's uncle, while Shiites believe Allah (God) ordained Muhammad's daughter's husband (his son-in-law Ali) to be the successor.

Today, Shiites claim Sunnis are too susceptible to the panderings of the West, while Sunnis claim Shiites are too fanatical and also insistent on interpreting the Quran for dangerous ends. Finally, Sunnis believe that Islamic government is run by the Caliphate (sort of like deacons), while Shiites hoist the Imams (sort of like bishops) with the Ayatollah as supreme leader over the Imams.

Here's a mock dialogue-debate (between Shiva and Vishnu) about Sunni-Shiite schisms/differences.

I chose two Hindu deities/avatars, since they could be construed as neutral. Nevertheless, Shiva speaks for the Shiites, while Vishnu speaks for the Sunni (association here assigned randomly).

If Americans are ready to make relevant region-intrigue films such as Syriana, we must be willing to talk openly about Sunni-Shia relations and how it impacts negotiations regarding OPEC and Israel. Otherwise, the U.S. government could receive more Vietnam-esque criticisms.

Do we feel Americans care about the Sunni-Shia schism?

====

SHIVA: Sunnis are more favorable to the West.
VISHNU: Yes, America has had better relations with Syria and Saudi Arabia (than with Iran/Iraq).
SHIVA: Shiites are concerned that America's interest in the Middle East is purely commercial.
VISHNU: Sunnis have a solid base to negotiate profitable commerce treaties (i.e., OPEC).
SHIVA: Shiites are in a good position to defend the sanctity of Islamic principles in the 'free market.'
VISHNU: Sunnis find Shiites to be too fanatical.
SHIVA: Sunnis wear white, and Shiites wear black.
VISHNU: Sunnis believe the Caliphate is the most appropriate Islamic head-of-government.
SHIVA: That's because Sunnis do not agree that Muhammad was appointed a successor.
VISHNU: Sunnis believe that Shiites falsely stated that Muhammad's son-in-law (Ali) was the successor.
SHIVA: Sunnis elected Muhammad's uncle as the successor, since they believe there was no one.
VISHNU: Shiites choose to honor the 'Ali-belief' and appoint an Ayatollah as leader of the Imams.
SHIVA: Shiites choose to use the Quran to forward ideas about 'devotion-in-behavior.'
VISHNU: Sunnis believe the Quran can be used to 'embrace' the world more wisely.
SHIVA: Shiites believe Islam should be an island.
VISHNU: Both Sunnis and Shiites deny that the Resurrection of Jesus was literal.
SHIVA: Correct; they both believe that Christ will simply return for Revelation from heaven.
VISHNU: Sunnis are in a better position to negotiate with the Christian West.
SHIVA: Shiites are in a better position to be diplomats of the austerity of Islam.
VISHNU: It we're debating about austerity/devotion, then we should focus on jihads.

====

Shia-Sunni Relations (Wikpedia)

How do Sunni and Shia Differ? (NYTimes.Com)

Differences between Sunni and Shia (Wikipedia)

shiva-vishnu.jpg

sunni-shia.jpg

The Castro Calculus?

Now that Castro is gone, will Shiites find a bridge of negotiation with Cuba (a communist neighbor of the USA)?

After Vietnam and the Korean War, nuclear and communist North Korea came to prominence.

Could Shiites use their current positions of advantage to create bridges with Cuba?

castro.jpg

When Americans entered into the cauldron of Vietnam, they were criticized for 'interfering' in a region and culture-specific 'civil war' between North and South Vietnam. Even students in America criticized the American government and U.S. troops for getting involved in an issue that they did not understand.

Today, the U.S. government is dealing with the intrigue and troubles in the Middle East and in regards to an age-old Israel-Palestine disagreement, Americans must understand how to handle all relevant socio-political and cultural issues related to Islam (and its conflicts with Judaism) and even specifics within the region of the Middle East itself.

So what is your point? Should the U.S. be involved in these Middle East conflicts or not?

Oh, I do think the US should get involved and in a serious way once the government feels truly informed about all the ins-and-outs of Islamic culture (i.e., Sunni-Shia relations).

Otherwise, we'll have another Vietnam, no?

Oh, I do think the US should get involved and in a serious way once the government feels truly informed about all the ins-and-outs of Islamic culture (i.e., Sunni-Shia relations).

Obama feels truly informed about all the ins-and-out of Islamic culture. How has that worked out?

Obama feels truly informed about all the ins-and-out of Islamic culture. How has that worked out?

Kept us out of WWWIII.

Forum List

Back