The Stupidity of unemployment laws.

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
So we have an employee who told me she was going to be quitting soon but she did not give me a definite date.

Now since she has been with us for less than a year I decided to stop spending time trying to train her to do some of the more involved things and now I put her in a more menial task.

I want to cut back her hours so I can get a new person in and train them up before we hit our busiest season (March- June).

But if i cut her hours she is eligible for unemployment. Now if she files a claim it will cost me extra unemployment tax for years and years to come.

It's really too bad that I can't get rid of a person who doesn't want to work for me and hire one who does without getting penalized in perpetuity with taxes.

But government doesn't hurt small businesses right?

Cantcha just fire her azz?

Sure but she'll be able to file a claim because even though she's far from the best employee she really hasn't committed a fire-able offense so I'll still be onthe hook for punitive taxes for years to come.

Oh and get this she's only a part time employee. I forgot to mention that in the OP.

Are you sure that her filing for unemployment would affect your taxes that much?

Are you telling us the whole story here? :eusa_eh:

I talked to my accountant and we're talking a 4% increase in my unemployment taxes for years to come and most likely for as long as I am in business just for getting rid of one part time employee who says she is quitting.

BTW State and federal unemployment taxes are based on payroll. In CT the first 14K of everyone's salary is used in the calculation.

Not all laws are written to protect employers. Some are written to protect employees.

I'm sure you enjoy all kinds of bennies as an employer so don't get yourself so worked up about this.

Cantcha just fire her azz?

Sure but she'll be able to file a claim because even though she's far from the best employee she really hasn't committed a fire-able offense so I'll still be onthe hook for punitive taxes for years to come.

Oh and get this she's only a part time employee. I forgot to mention that in the OP.

Wait, what?

I fired several people.

No problem. Where the heck to you live?

Are you sure that her filing for unemployment would affect your taxes that much?

I talked to my accountant and we're talking a 4% increase in my unemployment taxes for years to come and most likely for as long as I am in business just for getting rid of one part time employee who says she is quitting.

BTW State and federal unemployment taxes are based on payroll. In CT the first 14K of everyone's salary is used in the calculation.

Seriously? You are bitching about 4%?

What's it costing you to keep her on the payroll?

Not all laws are written to protect employers. Some are written to protect employees.

I'm sure you enjoy all kinds of bennies as an employer so don't get yourself so worked up about this.

You might not get worked up about the government stealing thousands from you for years to come simply for firing a person who said she is quitting but I do.

It's no different that getting robbed.

Seriously? You are bitching about 4%?

What's it costing you to keep her on the payroll?

It's 4% of EVERYONE"S payroll you twit not just the one i fired.

I have 10 employees. All of them even the part timers make over 14K a year.

My current unemployment tax is 1% of 140000 or 1400 dollars a year.

If it gets raised to 4% my tax will be 5600 a year

If I hire 2 more people my tax will be computed on 168000 a year. And it will never go down to 1% again

And you think that's nothing?

Good thing you don't own a business because you'd be broke in a month.

So we have an employee who told me she was going to be quitting soon but she did not give me a definite date.

Now since she has been with us for less than a year I decided to stop spending time trying to train her to do some of the more involved things and now I put her in a more menial task.

I want to cut back her hours so I can get a new person in and train them up before we hit our busiest season (March- June).

But if i cut her hours she is eligible for unemployment. Now if she files a claim it will cost me extra unemployment tax for years and years to come.

It's really too bad that I can't get rid of a person who doesn't want to work for me and hire one who does without getting penalized in perpetuity with taxes.

Do you have a written "notice" policy in the training handbook for new hires?

Let her know that you have to let her go if she can't put her notice in writing.

Let her know that you have to let her go if she can't put her notice in writing.

If she has committed no fire able offense and she files a claim I will most likely lose the fight.

In my state people can collect unemployment if you cut their hours even if you don't fire them outright.

If she has committed no fire able offense and she files a claim I will most likely lose the fight.

Sounds like you are in a real bind.

Do you have a 2 week notice written requirement policy?

If not, now would be a good time to have that included in a new hire package so you don't find yourself in this position again.

Have you spoke with your HR department regarding this matter?

If not, now would be a good time to have that included in a new hire package so you don't find yourself in this position again.

We're a small business so I am the HR dept.

It's not the notice part that is jamming me up it's the fact that she told me she is looking for another job and wants to leave. She didn't say when.

I assume she'll at least give me 2 weeks but I want to hire a person now who would be perfect and wants to start right away. So I thought I could just cut the hours of the girl who wants to leave but I find that she can still claim unemployment even if her hours are cut from 25 a week to 10

Cut back her hours or fire her, and move on with your business. Let the chips fall where they may. Nobody ever went broke because they paid a few extra bucks in unemployment taxes.

PS- I agree that Unemployment rules are often stupid.....I own a business in California...we lead the nation in STUPID!

Last edited:
Cut back her hours or fire her, and move on with your business. Let the chips fall where they may. Nobody ever went broke because they paid a few extra bucks in unemployment taxes.

PS- I agree that Unemployment rules are often stupid.....I own a business in California...we lead the nation in STUPID!

I know. But a 4000 dollar a year increase in taxes forever is too expensive for me.

I see that amount of money and all I can think is that if I saved that for the next 20 years I'd have over 150K more in my retirement fund.

We're a small business so I am the HR dept.

It's not the notice part that is jamming me up it's the fact that she told me she is looking for another job and wants to leave. She didn't say when.

I assume she'll at least give me 2 weeks but I want to hire a person now who would be perfect and wants to start right away. So I thought I could just cut the hours of the girl who wants to leave but I find that she can still claim unemployment even if her hours are cut from 25 a week to 10

Instead of assuming you should directly ask her to give you a two week notice. Implement a new policy that states your company requires it and send the email out company wide.

Ask her how she feels about cutting back her hours so you can train someone for the position she now has.

You are the boss so take control of the situation, if she said she plans to quit make her put it in writing with a date then you won't need to worry about cutting hours or firing her.

What state are you residing in? You don't have to answer that if you prefer your privacy.

I know. But a 4000 dollar a year increase in taxes forever is too expensive for me.

I see that amount of money and all I can think is that if I saved that for the next 20 years I'd have over 150K more in my retirement fund.

You've got $100k in payroll and you call youself a small business? :eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back