Obligation to "society"

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
I have been hearing a lot from the sheep lately that we have some sort of obligation to society as a whole.

Well do we really?

I am forced to pay taxes far over the actual value of government services I receive isn't that enough?

What else am I obligated to do for "society"?

Am I responsible for the safety of other peoples' children?
Am I responsible for the bills and livelihood of other people?

Just what does this obligation entail?

Shouldn't it be enough that I live my life without impeding anyone else from doing the same?

You don't have much obligation to society, however there are costs association with living in a civil society as opposed to the state of nature. See Montesquieu Social Contract Theory and Locke Two Treatises on Government.

I'm afraid there is no support for the collectivists in either of those works, nor should there be. There is a lot of enlightened self-interest however. That's the basis of society, not using a village to raise your kid.

I have been hearing a lot from the sheep lately that we have some sort of obligation to society as a whole.

Well do we really?

I feel a duty to society, you don't.

I am forced to pay taxes far over the actual value of government services I receive isn't that enough?

Taxes pay for defense, from other human societies and from bacteria in your food, water and the air; if you collapse on the street, are knocked unconscious in a car accident, or shot yourself in the foot, you will be cared for - rich or poor, taxpayer or not.

I feel such an obligation, I would have expected strangers to protect my kids, now grown, I still support laws which protect kids and I would too in a circumstance wherein a child or another adult was in danger. You don't. Why?

Nope, though your religious beliefs may teach such a duty.

Shouldn't it be enough that I live my life without impeding anyone else from doing the same?

Yep. As long as you don't imped others by word or deed. Seem to be a rather pitiful life though.

Sure, that is your right. I'm not judging you, I simply wouldn't want you as a neighbor.

Well do we really?

Taxes pay for defense, from other human societies and from bacteria in your food, water and the air; if you collapse on the street, are knocked unconscious in a car accident, or shot yourself in the foot, you will be cared for - rich or poor, taxpayer or not.

I feel such an obligation, I would have expected strangers to protect my kids, now grown, I still support laws which protect kids and I would too in a circumstance wherein a child or another adult was in danger. You don't. Why?

Yep. As long as you don't imped others by word or deed. Seem to be a rather pitiful life though.

Sure, that is your right. I'm not judging you, I simply wouldn't want you as a neighbor.

I wish you would learn to use the quote function.

And you have no idea how I get along with my neighbors.

In fact I'll probably be spending hours plowing out my neighbors and friends this weekend because we're supposed to be getting 2 feet of snow.

But do I have an obligation to plow out everyone in town?

Do I have an obligation to protect your kids from harm if you won't?

And I live my life by the mind your own business philosophy so I do not ever try to impede another as long as what they do has no effect on me.

Well do we really?

"Society" doesn't even exist, in the corporeal sense...I cannot borrow from you a bucket of "society", with the promise that I'll pay you back with a barrel of it at the end of the month...It is a fiction, a straw man....As such, it is completely subjective.

Anyone telling you that you have any debt/obligation to that which does not exist is a thug and a tyrant.

Well do we really?

It's in the Constitution.

You live in a country you had no hand in starting..and have no "obligation" to continue living in if you find the conditions that reprehensible.

You can find a land bereft of civilization, and start over.

Or..if you are feeling the need for bloody revolution, you can do that too. Be warned, however, that the latter has dire consequences, even for those who are successful.

Well do we really?

"Society" doesn't even exist, in the corporeal sense...I cannot borrow from you a bucket of "society", with the promise that I'll pay you back with a barrel of it at the end of the month...It is a fiction, a straw man....As such, it is completely subjective.

Anyone telling you that you have any debt/obligation to that which does not exist is a thug and a tyrant.

Feel free to leave..or continue to leech off of it..while braying about it's "evils".

Well do we really?

Feel free to leave..or continue to leech off of it..while braying about it's "evils".
Piss up a rope, commie.

Well do we really?

It's in the Constitution.

You live in a country you had no hand in starting..and have no "obligation" to continue living in if you find the conditions that reprehensible.

You can find a land bereft of civilization, and start over.

Or..if you are feeling the need for bloody revolution, you can do that too. Be warned, however, that the latter has dire consequences, even for those who are successful.

Where in the consitution does it say people who make money have to support people who don't, can't, or won't?

There is no obligation that the individual has to society beyond the social contract of if you leave me alone, I leave you alone.

There are threats, coercion and intimidation but no obligation.

Well do we really?

I wish you would learn to use the quote function.
I like the way I do it.

And you have no idea how I gt along with my neighbors.
Never said I did.

In fact I'll probably be spending hours plowing out my neighbors and friends this weekend because we're supposed to be getting 2 feet of snow.
That's nice, but not a duty or an obligation unless you have a contract with them.

But do I have an obligation to plow out everyone in town?
If and only if you have a contract with everyone in town, or the local government.

Do I have an obligation to protect your kids from harm if you won't?
Nope.

And I live my life by the mind your own business philosophy so I do not ever try to impede another as long as what they do has no effect on me.
That's fine.

I simply disagree. You see there is such a thing as Normative Ethics which is essentially is a way to arrive at moral standards that regulate right and wrong conduct. In a sense, it is a search for an ideal litmus test of proper behavior. The Golden Rule is a classic example of a normative principle:

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. [Matthew 7:12]

If I do not want my neighbor to steal from me, then it is wrong for me to steal from her. If I would want people to feed me if I was starving, then I should help feed starving people.

The way the Callous Conservatives look at life is antithetical to the Golden Rule. It is (as I've posted before) "I've got mine, screw the rest of you"; and most recently this set seems concerned with three things: Me, Myself and I. I'm not that way and that's not how I raised my kids.

Last edited:

Well do we really?

Perhaps you would perfer a king to run things like Ibsen who you admire so much

Human beings grew larger brains by being social animals.

It is much a part of being human to care for others in the pack as it is to be smart.

maybe you are lacking some human qualities if you hate to care for others so much

Its called being a sociopath

There is no obligation that the individual has to society beyond the social contract of if you leave me alone, I leave you alone.

There are threats, coercion and intimidation but no obligation.

If you drive you have a duty to obey traffic laws;

If you hunt you have a duty to obey fish and game laws;

If you do business you have a duty to obey business and professions laws;

If you are sick you have a responsibilty not to infect others;

If you vote you have a responsibilty to abide by the decision, not to necessarily agree with it;

Duties are mandates, failure to comply have consequences. Responsibilities are not mandated, they carry no civil or criminal penalty for violations - they may have social consequences.

Well do we really?

Your premise is invalid (actually absurd), your conclusion is absurd and ridiculous.

Well do we really?

Your premise is invalid (actually absurd), your conclusion is absurd and ridiculous.

Society is relative to social constructions and so the ideals of a society in and of itself have no real reality except what human beings place on it.

I am thinking that's what he meant by corporeal sense but I may be wrong.

4 in 100 human beings are sociopaths.

3 will be men and 1 a woman.

this OP is just one of the three

Forum List

Back