The Stupidity Of The Gates Arrest

Also by the report, the officer was leaving. Gates continued shouting racial slurs and family ad-homs at the top of his lungs. He had every chance to cease the disruptive behavior and chose to continue. In fact, was TOLD that if he continued he would be arrested. His response? "Arrest me."

Ever try telling a cop that? They WILL oblige you.

THAT was the stupidity.

The right wing pea brains just can't distinguish the difference between bad behavior and breaking the law...Conformity may be a right wing law, it's just not the law of the land...

No one is saying Gates handled this well, BUT Sargent Crowley issued a false arrest based on EMOTION...

Unprofessional and stupid...

You may want to look up the term "disorderly conduct"--you will find out that it is against the LAW--regardless of where you're standing.

No matter what--if you have a black-white-yellow-brown-red police officer who has been called out to do an investigation & you decide-- that instead of answering their questions & cooperating with them--you are going to launch direct insults-screaming &-creating a scene. After several warnings you do not stop--you will be handcuffed & taken down to headquarters--PERIOD--regardless of WHO YOU THINK YOU ARE.

You liberals have gone into a desperate mode to defend Obama's comments using absolutely ridiculous statements that have never been the situation in law enforcement. It happens every single day of the week--no matter what color you are--no matter what color the police are. It's the law & you never get in a cops face while they are investigating an incident without paying the consequences.

:eusa_think:

Is this a fact?

My understanding has always been that verbally assaulting a police officer can be deemed disorderly conduct. If my understanding on this is wrong, I would change my opinion about Crowley's actions. But I would need to validate the veracity of the above quote.

However, it would still do nothing to change my opinion that Gates is a douchebag asshole for berating an officer for doing his job.

Not sure I sure share this info with a hothead, but ...

But one thing is clear: Gates did not violate any law. Under Massachusetts law, which the police officer was supposedly enforcing, yelling at a police officer is not illegal.
There are clear decisions of the Massachusetts courts holding that a person who berates an officer, even during an arrest, is not guilty of disorderly conduct. And yet that is exactly what Gates was arrested for.
The Massachusetts statute defining "disorderly conduct" used to have a provision that made it illegal to make "unreasonable noise or offensively coarse utterance, gesture or display," or to address "abusive language to any person present." Yet the courts have interpreted that provision to violate the Massachusetts Constitution's guarantee of freedom of speech. So police cannot lawfully arrest a person for hurling abusive language at an officer.
In several cases, the courts in Massachusetts have considered whether a person is guilty of disorderly conduct for verbally abusing a police officer. In Commonwealth v. Lopiano, a 2004 decision, an appeals court held it was not disorderly conduct for a person who angrily yelled at an officer that his civil rights were being violated. In Commonwealth v. Mallahan, a decision rendered last year, an appeals court held that a person who launched into an angry, profanity-laced tirade against a police officer in front of spectators could not be convicted of disorderly conduct.
So Massachusetts law clearly provides that Gates did not commit disorderly conduct.

Adam Winkler: Obama Was Right About the Gates Arrest

He was not arrested just because he was yelling at Crowley but rather because he was causing passerbys distress and alarm. There was a crowd gathering and Gates was causing a massive scene. That was the disorderly conduct if you read the police report. It was not stated that Gates was brought in for verbally assaulting the police officer but rather because he was upsetting people who might have otherwise walked on by. The officer was attempting to keep the peace and I see nothing wrong with that. Also.. did you ever notice that Gates seemed to WANT this outcome ever since the officers stepped foot in his house? He refused to show ID right off the bat, it took a few attempts but at that point he would not calm down. The officer asked him to please step outside of the house and try to calm down there and, though Gates did step outside he continued to yell and even got more crude once on the porch. When a crowd gathered due to the outbursts is when Crowley cuffed him for disorderly conduct when all Gates had to do was show ID and, at worst, allow the cops to take a peek in each room so they felt no one was held hostage and the scene was safe.

Hey dip SHIT...these officers ARE supporting an officer that did the WRONG thing...
In your mental midget-like opinion.

But of course, being the arrogant half wit that you are, i'm sure you will say they are 'oreos' & 'Uncle toms' and YOU of course know police procedure soooooooooo much better.

Thanks for making a new thread on this, we need one from a total imbecile and nobody fills that bill better then you.

It's called "failing the attitude test" and that's what Gates did.

You folks don't seem to understand how easily it is to get arrested.

Gates backtalked a cop: Stupid.

Cop jacked up a dude with money on a weak charge: Stupid.

Game over.

Hey dip SHIT...these officers ARE supporting an officer that did the WRONG thing...

But of course, being the arrogant half wit that you are, i'm sure you will say they are 'oreos' & 'Uncle toms' and YOU of course know police procedure soooooooooo much better.

Thanks for making a new thread on this, we need one from a total imbecile and nobody fills that bill better then you.

The only difference between them siding with a fellow officer, and the dear leader siding with his buddy, is that the officers were actually there.:eusa_think:

Also by the report, the officer was leaving. Gates continued shouting racial slurs and family ad-homs at the top of his lungs. He had every chance to cease the disruptive behavior and chose to continue. In fact, was TOLD that if he continued he would be arrested. His response? "Arrest me."

THAT was the stupidity.

Obviously Gates over-reacted.

As did the cop.

NBD

Except that the cop is paid not to overreact, which made it unprofessional on his part. Plus they quickly dropped the charges when clearer heads got control of the situation, so the cop was wrong to arrest him.
I'm amazed at how many conservatives suddenly decided that a man has no right to get upset when the cops accuse him of burglarizing his own home.

THAT was the stupidity.

As did the cop.

NBD

Except that the cop is paid not to overreact, which made it unprofessional on his part. Plus they quickly dropped the charges when clearer heads got control of the situation, so the cop was wrong to arrest him.
I'm amazed at how many conservatives suddenly decided that a man has no right to get upset when the cops accuse him of burglarizing his own home.

They didn't just roll up to the door and arrest him. They were called in by a neighbor that had witnessed someone force the door.

THAT was the stupidity.

As did the cop.

NBD

The DA has stated repeatedly the officer was well within protocol to arrest Gates and that dropping the charges had no bearing whatsoever on the legitimacy of the arrest.

P.S. - The police were accusing him of breaking into the home...which he admitted.

Last edited:

As did the cop.

NBD

The DA has stated repeatedly the officer was well within protocol to arrest Gates and that dropping the charges had no bearing whatsoever on the legitimacy of the arrest.

P.S. - The police were accusing him of breaking into the home...which he admitted.

pig-fly.gif

Really FUNNY how this issue has exposed WHO the statists and government lovers really are...pea brain is too mild of a term...

This thread proves to what depths the leftists are willing to stoop...defending the idiot Gates....to protect their great and glorious leader.
Protecting freedom of speech is more like it. And the right to be in your home. That doesn't matter to you?

This thread proves to what depths the leftists are willing to stoop...defending the idiot Gates....to protect their great and glorious leader.
Protecting freedom of speech is more like it. And the right to be in your home. That doesn't matter to you?

You have some backing...TJ...LOL

It behooves every man who values liberty of conscience for himself, to resist invasions of it in the case of others: or their case may, by change of circumstances, become his own.
Thomas Jefferson

:eusa_think:

Is this a fact?

My understanding has always been that verbally assaulting a police officer can be deemed disorderly conduct. If my understanding on this is wrong, I would change my opinion about Crowley's actions. But I would need to validate the veracity of the above quote.

However, it would still do nothing to change my opinion that Gates is a douchebag asshole for berating an officer for doing his job.

Not sure I sure share this info with a hothead, but ...

But one thing is clear: Gates did not violate any law. Under Massachusetts law, which the police officer was supposedly enforcing, yelling at a police officer is not illegal.
There are clear decisions of the Massachusetts courts holding that a person who berates an officer, even during an arrest, is not guilty of disorderly conduct. And yet that is exactly what Gates was arrested for.
The Massachusetts statute defining "disorderly conduct" used to have a provision that made it illegal to make "unreasonable noise or offensively coarse utterance, gesture or display," or to address "abusive language to any person present." Yet the courts have interpreted that provision to violate the Massachusetts Constitution's guarantee of freedom of speech. So police cannot lawfully arrest a person for hurling abusive language at an officer.
In several cases, the courts in Massachusetts have considered whether a person is guilty of disorderly conduct for verbally abusing a police officer. In Commonwealth v. Lopiano, a 2004 decision, an appeals court held it was not disorderly conduct for a person who angrily yelled at an officer that his civil rights were being violated. In Commonwealth v. Mallahan, a decision rendered last year, an appeals court held that a person who launched into an angry, profanity-laced tirade against a police officer in front of spectators could not be convicted of disorderly conduct.
So Massachusetts law clearly provides that Gates did not commit disorderly conduct.

Adam Winkler: Obama Was Right About the Gates Arrest

He was not arrested just because he was yelling at Crowley but rather because he was causing passerbys distress and alarm. There was a crowd gathering and Gates was causing a massive scene. That was the disorderly conduct if you read the police report. It was not stated that Gates was brought in for verbally assaulting the police officer but rather because he was upsetting people who might have otherwise walked on by. The officer was attempting to keep the peace and I see nothing wrong with that. Also.. did you ever notice that Gates seemed to WANT this outcome ever since the officers stepped foot in his house? He refused to show ID right off the bat, it took a few attempts but at that point he would not calm down. The officer asked him to please step outside of the house and try to calm down there and, though Gates did step outside he continued to yell and even got more crude once on the porch. When a crowd gathered due to the outbursts is when Crowley cuffed him for disorderly conduct when all Gates had to do was show ID and, at worst, allow the cops to take a peek in each room so they felt no one was held hostage and the scene was safe.
You've invented half of what you say there. Big imagination you have. :lol:

Gates showed ID.

Hmmmmn, project much? Why would you expect black officers to side with the victim just because he and they are black?

The only difference between them siding with a fellow officer, and the dear leader siding with his buddy, is that the officers were actually there.:eusa_think:
Not according to the video. They are just fellow officers.

As did the cop.

NBD

Wrong.

The officer makes it clear in his report he believed that Gates was there lawfully, that he was the residenteven before Gates showed him his ID. Gates was charged with disorderly conduct.

THAT was the stupidity.

No wonder Obama defended him. :lol::lol::lol:

gates is stupid as hell i'll give you that,, he doesn't belong at harvard that's for sure..

Forum List

Back