The Stupidity Of The Gates Arrest

Winning is everything?
I don't even get what she is saying.

The white guy won as in he got to arrest Gates? No fault of his own means he made no mistakes?

I'm just not understanding.

I think she might be saying that even though the charges were dropped as they ought to have been, everyone is still mad at Gates and rightfully so???

I don't really know.

Annie?
No doubt there's a crappy minivan involved. ;)

:lol:

Shazaam! Could it be that the cop that came a calling, meant no harm? Could it be that the master of the home really felt that cops were out to get him? Can it be possible to have an non-racist cop in a racist charges incident? Well, yeah.

ALL we have as FACT: we have a white cop that came a calling, making a false arrest because OF name calling...Shazaam!

Shazaam! Could it be that the cop that came a calling, meant no harm? Could it be that the master of the home really felt that cops were out to get him? Can it be possible to have an non-racist cop in a racist charges incident? Well, yeah.
Could 'a, would 'a, should'a!

Gates just doesn't have any "street sense." You never argue when the other guy has gun...and handcuffs.

I can't seem to find any facts as to what occured. My guess is that the police arrived, and he refused to cooperate with them. His cooperation would have stopped any escalation. Any reasonable person would be more than willing to show identification, if they were in the same predicament.

I seriously doubt that race had a hand in this. Wasn't one of the officers African-American?

Cops DO NOT, enjoy arresting people. Especially in a case like this. Any arrest amounts to hours of documentation, and scheduled court dates (on their days off no less). And potential liability.

I'm sure that the officer was frustrated. He obviously didn't know the man. Cops don't like arrogance. If you want your encounter with the police to be as pleasant as it possibly can, treat them with the level of respect that you would want to be treated. I'm pretty sure that this wasn't the case in this instance.

I can't seem to find any facts as to what occured. My guess is that the police arrived, and he refused to cooperate with them. His cooperation would have stopped any escalation. Any reasonable person would be more than willing to show identification, if they were in the same predicament.

I seriously doubt that race had a hand in this. Wasn't one of the officers African-American?

Cops DO NOT, enjoy arresting people. Especially in a case like this. Any arrest amounts to hours of documentation, and scheduled court dates (on their days off no less). And potential liability.

I'm sure that the officer was frustrated. He obviously didn't know the man. Cops don't like arrogance. If you want your encounter with the police to be as pleasant as it possibly can, treat them with the level of respect that you would want to be treated. I'm pretty sure that this wasn't the case in this instance.
quite well stated

quite well stated

But that doesn't matter, it's his "right" to yell at, and berate a police officer.:eusa_naughty::wtf:

quite well stated

But that doesn't matter, it's his "right" to yell at, and berate a police officer

AND...NOT be arrested... you pea brains keep FORGETTING that CRUCIAL fact...

I guess die hard statists have an overwhelming need to conform and cower to AUTHORITY... so did Monica Lewinsky...:eek:

quite well stated

But that doesn't matter, it's his "right" to yell at, and berate a police officer

I guess die hard statists have an overwhelming need to conform and cower to AUTHORITY... so did Monica Lewinsky...:eek:

Then why not do what Powell suggests and cooperate, then do your media/promotion tour for your book/documentary and sue the shit out of them(PD, Crowley, or whoever did you wrong), in a court of law?

You really think it's a good thing to teach young black fellas,(youth in general), to be uncooperative with police, and to berate them, if you feel you're being unjustly targeted?
I would think they are a lot better off to just STFU, and ask for a lawyer, but that's just me.

Then why not do what Powell suggests and cooperate, then do your media/promotion tour for your book/documentary and sue the shit out of them(PD, Crowley, or whoever did you wrong), in a court of law?

You really think it's a good thing to teach young black fellas,(youth in general), to be uncooperative with police, and to berate them, if you feel you're being unjustly targeted?
I would think they are a lot better off to just STFU, and ask for a lawyer, but that's just me.

As I said before, no one is saying Gates handled this well...the IMPORTANT POINT, the Constitutional, Bill of Rights, Rule of Law POINT is...even though he didn't handle it well, he did NOTHING that warranted his arrest...

This type of response seems to be typical of people not very well informed of the particulars in this case and typical of some who are.

It seems that lots of people are just content to assume that the person wearing the uniform was right. The one with the gun is the boss, no questions asked.

Last edited:

Gates was cooperative. It still got him arrested.
I think it's a good thing to teach young black men, young men of any race and young women too, not accept abuse of power with whatever legal means they have at their disposition. Gates was well within his legal rights.

This issue really does resonate on this board, doesn't it?

I occassionally visit another board where this event is largely ignored.

Gee..I wonder why it continues to be one of the most discussed issues here?

I couldn't be because we have so many overt racists here, could it?

Its really much ado about nothing important, after all.

Also by the report, the officer was leaving. Gates continued shouting racial slurs and family ad-homs at the top of his lungs. He had every chance to cease the disruptive behavior and chose to continue. In fact, was TOLD that if he continued he would be arrested. His response? "Arrest me."

Ever try telling a cop that? They WILL oblige you.

THAT was the stupidity.

DOES that make it right and just and lawful and constitutional?

Last edited:

It fascinates me because there are so many people that will point out, and rightly so, that groups such as the KKK enjoy freedom of speech. And yet many think Gates isn't entitled to the same.

And then there's the entire issue of the police abusing their power...

Here's the law in massachusetts regarding disorderly conduct that i read on a defense lawyer's site...

Arrested in Massachusetts for Disorderly Conduct or Disturbing the Peace?

Under Massachusetts law, if you cause a disturbance which creates a public hazard, and serves no legitimate purpose, you can be charged with a disorderly person offense, also known as disorderly conduct.

A "disorderly person" is defined as one who:

* with purpose to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or
* recklessly creates a risk thereof
* engages in fighting or threatening, violent or tumultuous behavior, or
* creates a hazard or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose.

If you are convicted of disorderly conduct in MA, it is punishable by up to 6 months in jail.

Disturbing the peace also falls under Chapter 272, with similar penalties. Some Massachusetts towns also have specific ordinances relating to disturbing the peace.
Disorderly Conduct Legal Defense Strategies

A disorderly conduct arrest is usually a discretionary decision by a police officer. If we can show that the officer may have been mistaken and overestimated any potential disorder created, we can get the case dismissed. The prosecution must establish beyond a reasonable doubt that your action created a dangerous situation, and served no legitimate purpose.

Being angry and yelling at someone, even if that person is a police officer, is not sufficient cause to sustain a disorderly conduct charge. You are absolutely permitted to express yourself and your first amendment rights to free speech.

It fascinates me because there are so many people that will point out, and rightly so, that groups such as the KKK enjoy freedom of speech. And yet many think Gates isn't entitled to the same.

The racism aspect is not as interesting to me as is the fact that so many people seem to be okay with overlooking the implications of what allowing police to behave as if we lived in a fascist state mean.

Last edited:

The racism aspect is not as interesting to me as is the fact that so many people seem to be okay with overlooking the implications of what allowing police to behave as if we lived in a fascist state mean.

Do you honestly believe that this issue would be so much on this board had GATES not been a BLACK man?

I rather doubt it would to be honest.

This place is overrun with people who obsess about race related issues.

Let me go just a tad further on this subject, too.

Had GATES been a white guns rights advocate, about half the people here who insist that he is the bad guy would be defending him and faulting the cop for imposing on his civil rights, too.

Last edited:

Do you honestly believe that this issue would be so much on this board had GATES not been a BLACK man?
I rather doubt it would to be honest.
As I said above, I was speaking about what was most interesting to me.

That you think I would not be interested had Gates been anything but black is not terribly interesting to me.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back