The strangest thing happened last night...

smirkinjesus said:
And the bombers and fighters that Bush loves to use so liberally. We design and build those too. I guess Houston/LBJ did try to steal the space program but noone buys into that.

Jesus. Anytime you don't get your way, you claim something was stolen. Elections stolen, NASA stolen. Guess all those outsourced jobs from Heinz were actually stolen too?

smirkinjesus said:
No, Texas can't leave the Union. Trust me, I checked into it. Someone told me that earlier and I was all excited thinking there was a way to get rid of them, but its not true. And come to think of it, only Texans would be so brash to think they have rights beyond the other states. Give me a few minutes, I'll find you the proof.

No. I was in a hurry because I am about to leave and brainfarted. When Texas first joined the Union that clause was in the treaty. Since Texas left the Union and joined the CSA during the Civil War, they lost that part of the treaty. Texas can still split into five states and is the only state that can fly it's flag at the same height as the American flag.

All this doesn't change one thing: Seattle sucks.
Have a nice day.
:mm:

smirkinjesus said:
No, Seattle dominates the state. While the Eastern Part of the state trys to vote itself into depression and out of jobs, we keep them afloat. I would much rather our tax money stay here and help our poor rednecks in Eastern Washington rather then go down south to help poor rednecks in dixie. But like all rednecks they insist on voting for Republicans who screw them the most. How working class people ever got the idea the Conservatives were on their side is beyond me. Now their jobs keep leaving and soon enough they'll all be working for WalMart. But hey, they're convince the GOP knows what's best. Funny that we are well off Liberals and they are poor struggling conservatives. Seems to me the . San Fancisco, New York, Chicago, Boston, most of the North East. Could it be that we know how to be innovative and successful while conservative areas consistently lag behind?

Huh? "Well off liberals"? "wealthiest cities are usually the most liberal"?

According to liberals it is those nasty rich Republican corporations making all the $money$.

:rolleyes: talk about brainfarting...

Jimmyeatworld said:
No. I was in a hurry because I am about to leave and brainfarted. When Texas first joined the Union that clause was in the treaty. Since Texas left the Union and joined the CSA during the Civil War, they lost that part of the treaty. Texas can still split into five states and is the only state that can fly it's flag at the same height as the American flag.

All this doesn't change one thing: Seattle sucks.
Have a nice day.
:mm:

Actually, they didn't enter the Union through treaty either.

http://tafkac.org/politics/texas_secession_rights.html

But look, I don't totally hate Texas. I just like to make fun of them for giving us the Great Bush. Texas has its bright spots, Austin for example.

Holy crap. I don't even know where to start.

First, Seattle politics does not dominate the state. Polls earlier this year show that Seattle is about 80% Dem to 20% GOP. However, the rest of Western Washington is split 50%-50%, and Eastern Washington is 60-65% GOP. So we are certainly a swing state, and I think the state GOP is really energized this year with Dino Rossi and George Nethercutt running. I would not be the least bit surprised to see Bush, Nethercutt, and Rossi all win the state.

Second:
smirkinjesus said:
How working class people ever got the idea the Conservatives were on their side is beyond me. Now their jobs keep leaving and soon enough they'll all be working for WalMart. But hey, they're convince the GOP knows what's best.
What we realize is that another government program isn't going to help us do anything. As long as we have cops, emergency service and roads, most of us conservatives are happy (yes, I left out schools; my kid's in private school and if I didn't have to work, I'd teach in a home school co-op). We also realize that we can make it in this world without the help of Uncle Sam giving us a job, or welfare, or public housing, etc. It's called rugged individualism, and it built this country.

Third, you call yourselves mature, then start asking what the military would have to do if Bush found "another way to hold onto power." Well, first, he was elected in a fair manner in the first place, though apparently you can't let go of it. Second of all, your ignorance of the military shines through again. Military members are sworn to the Constitution, not the President. The military will always support the Constitution, and will not get involved in political fights.

Fourth, you talk about the West Coast practicing "pseudo-seccessionism" (whatever the hell that is) then you talk about how no state can secede. WTF? :wtf: Which is it? Are we leaving the Union or aren't we? Here, let me help you: NO STATES are leaving the Union, pseudo- or otherwise, because the Civil War has already settled that question.

Fifth, don't pretend that you speak for all Washington State on this board. There are more Republicans in this state than you can shake a stick at, and I'm one of them.

Sixth, don't mess with Texas - or this native Texan. All this crap about "stealing from grandmothers" is just that - crap.

smirkinjesus said:
I don't like Dubya slithering out of the South, especially not to my home town. This place stands in stark contrast to the polluted wasteland that sprouted Dubya. He can stay down in Texas where they are appropriately brainwashed to love him. But if he comes up here, he has to face people who know what he really is. That's why he rarely ventures up to these parts. Washington will go to Kerry anyways, I don't see why he needs to dishonor us with his presence here. Its a harsh political reality, but that's the way it is.

I know that it would be far more proper to present a logical counter-argument supported by well-researched facts. But that takes time and effort and you would simply ignore it anyway.

So I'll just settle for calling you an asshole.

It far less dignified, but it is satisfying.

:chains:

smirkinjesus said:
No, Seattle dominates the state. While the Eastern Part of the state trys to vote itself into depression and out of jobs, we keep them afloat. I would much rather our tax money stay here and help our poor rednecks in Eastern Washington rather then go down south to help poor rednecks in dixie. But like all rednecks they insist on voting for Republicans who screw them the most. How working class people ever got the idea the Conservatives were on their side is beyond me. Now their jobs keep leaving and soon enough they'll all be working for WalMart. But hey, they're convince the GOP knows what's best. Funny that we are well off Liberals and they are poor struggling conservatives. Seems to me the wealthiest cities are usually the most liberal. San Fancisco, New York, Chicago, Boston, most of the North East. Could it be that we know how to be innovative and successful while conservative areas consistently lag behind?

...or could it be that with all the wealth you have bought influence and political power only to force your inept social policies on the majority of Americans who would be doing much better if the government did not tax their earnings so heavily! Yeah the domination of the DNC in making public policy is now but a memory, and the economy is finally moving in the right direction, again. Hopefully the fiscal conservatives who do not support raising taxes and more social programs will keep the majority of the seats and lead us further in to prosperity.

The guy's logic is a little flawed on that Texas didn't join by a treaty. Congress made an offer and Texas accepted. That sounds like a treaty to me. It wasn't a surrender or a military occupation, and that pretty much rules out anything but a treaty, because acts of Congress alone cannot effect world policy except to declare war, offer treaties (and surrenders), and control borders.

As for Texas and "sliming out of the South," I forgot to rebuke you. Now, as an Arkansan, there are two individual states I can't stand, Texas and Mississippi. I love it when we beat them at football, I make fun of them with cheesy jokes, and I even think that their rednecks are worse than our rednecks. As a Georgian, the targets are SC and Alabama. However, no matter how bad it gets, I will take a bunch of Texans, Mississippians, Alabamans, and South Carolinians over some dang Yankee anyday, especially one from, ugh, Massachusetts!

And if Starbucks and Microsoft dropped off the face of the Earth tomorrow, I'd live. I don't drink much coffee and I use Linux.

:tng: :tng:

smirkinjesus said:
How working class people ever got the idea the Conservatives were on their side is beyond me. Now their jobs keep leaving and soon enough they'll all be working for WalMart.
Could be because conservatism say we can solve our own problems and be successful without government standing in our way. Maybe their jobs are leaving because of the punitive tax rates you liberals in Seattle are placing on their businesses.

smirkinjesus said:
I don't like Dubya slithering out of the South, especially not to my home town. This place stands in stark contrast to the polluted wasteland that sprouted Dubya. He can stay down in Texas where they are appropriately brainwashed to love him. But if he comes up here, he has to face people who know what he really is. That's why he rarely ventures up to these parts. Washington will go to Kerry anyways, I don't see why he needs to dishonor us with his presence here. Its a harsh political reality, but that's the way it is.
So youare from Redmond - hmmm, I should have known; another one of the Eastside liberal ass pansies. So tell us all what you know of reality.

Hobbit said:
I will take a bunch of Texans, Mississippians, Alabamans, and South Carolinians over some dang Yankee anyday, especially one from, ugh, Massachusetts!
:tng: :tng:

Well, there are a few good guys up here. We've got the Green Berets in Ft Devans. We've got a Governor who may be being groomed for Republican presidential candidate in 08. We've got a Libertarian Party that wants to repeal ALL gun laws and The IRS.

There are a bunch of Yankee Families here who were part of the revolutionary war, and are glad the founders aren't around to see the Democrats behaviour.

But, to our eternal shame, we have fat ted kennedy teaching john kerry how to be an asshole.

A clause in the document annexing Texas to the United States allowed for Texas to be divided into five different states is true. However,
Although the provisions of the Texas Annexation document allowing for the creation of four additional states are popularly regarded as a unique curiosity today, they were largely superfluous. Article IV, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution already specifically provided for the formation of new states through the junction or division of existing states New states may be admitted by the Congress into this union; but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress.
:

As to the right to secede........
Another Texas-related legend holds that the Texans negotiated an annexation treaty which reserved to them the right to secede from the Union without the consent of the U.S. Congress, but the terms of Texas' annexation contain no such provision.
In addition to the lack of any provision...
* In 1869, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Texas v. White that states cannot secede from the Union.

The Texas Flag at the same height as the U.S. flag is false as well..
http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texas.asp

Hope I didn't spoil anyones day.

smirkin,it takes more than one kind of thinker to make this world go round. People like you that are radical are what are causing the serious divide in this country. Open your mind a bit. To say you seriously wish a state would or should seperate from the rest of us is an ignorant idea in itself. For petes sake,every election half the country has to deal with their guy not winning-and that's what we all do,deal with it. This is radical and unstable mental behavior on Liberals part. Your post and it's whining sounds like my 3 year old when she wants something she can't have. No one will take you serious if you don't try and sound at least a little more grown up.Bush can go wherever he wants whenever he wants ...so :moon4: Thought you would like that!!!!

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

fubar said:
Well, there are a few good guys up here. We've got the Green Berets in Ft Devans. We've got a Governor who may be being groomed for Republican presidential candidate in 08. We've got a Libertarian Party that wants to repeal ALL gun laws and The IRS.

There are a bunch of Yankee Families here who were part of the revolutionary war, and are glad the founders aren't around to see the Democrats behaviour.

But, to our eternal shame, we have fat ted kennedy teaching john kerry how to be an asshole.

I'd still prefer the company of fellow southerners, but it's good to hear that the entire state's not wacko. I was beginning to have my doubts after seeing that EVERY county voted Gore and hearing about that high skrewl district that put on "The Vagina Monologues" as a play.

On a side note, you shoulda heard the libs I talked to when I mentioned this story. I didn't know much about "The Vagina Monologues" (and was more opposed after I heard about it) except that it had several racy scenes and a LOT of fowl language. I had no beef with the thing being performed, but not in front of high school students, and most certainly not BY high school students. However, all I heard was stuff like, "Well if you find something offensive about women expressing their rights..."

:blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

This was on the same board where I was accused of chauvanism, and that's the second time in my life. The first was when I held the door open for the wrong girl.

smirkinjesus said:
Actually, they didn't enter the Union through treaty either.

http://tafkac.org/politics/texas_secession_rights.html

But look, I don't totally hate Texas. I just like to make fun of them for giving us the Great Bush. Texas has its bright spots, Austin for example.

Call it an agreement if you prefer, or whatever you like, it's essentially the same thing. It was a declaration of annexation was presented to congress by John Tyler to speed things up.

Texas has a lot of bright spots. Lot of great cities.

Forum List

Back