The Stingy Slur

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Jan Egeland, a Norwegian who holds the lofty title of Undersecretary-General for humanitarian Affairs, now claims he was "misinterpreted" when he charged Monday that "there are several donors who are less generous then before in a growing world economy.

"It is beyond me why we are so stingy, really," he told reporters.
Misinterpreted?
Baloney.

Egeland knew exactly what he was saying-and he meant every word of it.

Of course, it was about as truthful as the rest of the slime that oozes from that cesspool on First Avenue.
As Secretaty of State Colin Powell noted, "The United States has given more aid in the last four years than any other nation or combination of nations in the world."

Rather than simply defending America's record, however, Powel might have more effectively suggested that if Egeland is searching for some serious money, he should simply pass the hat among his fellow U.N. officials.

If all those self-important diplomats simply anted up a small percentage fo the money they raked in under the Oil for Food program-which was designed as humanitarian aid for starving Iraqis but instead became an under- the-table cash cow for top U.N. officials--Egeland might find himself with some serious CASH.

For the record, The Bush administration has committed to being "a major contributor" to the tsunami-relief effort, which will run into the billions of dollars

In short, America's initial response to this human tragedy is nothing for which this country need apologize-or have to answer to for small- minded and bigmouthed, United Nations diplomats.............

www.nypost.com/cgi-bin/printfriendly.pl

US, Japan, Australia and India to Form Disaster Relief Coalition

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/asiaquakeusaid

Crawford, United States (AFP) - The United States, Australia, Japan and India will form a "core group" to lead relief efforts after the Asian tsunami disaster, President George W. Bush said. He predicted that other countries would join the initiative and also called for an international tidal wave alert system following what he called a "terrible disaster" in the Indian Ocean. US Secretary of State Colin Powell has spoken to the foreign ministers of Australia, Japan and India to set up the group, Bush told reporters near his ranch in Crawford, Texas where he is on holiday. "This morning I spoke with the leaders of India, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Indonesia; expressed my condolences and our country's condolences. I told them of our support. I praised their steadfast leadership during these difficult times," Bush said. "These past few days have brought loss and grief to the world that is beyond our comprehension. "The United States will continue to stand with the affected governments as they care for the victims. We will stand with them as they start to rebuild their communities. And together the world will cope with their loss. We will prevail over this destruction," Bush said. "We are committed to helping the affected countries in the difficult weeks and months that lie ahead." The earthquake and tsunami waves in the Indian Ocean on Sunday killed more than 80,000 people. Bush said "the loss is beyond our comprehension". Under-secretary of State Marc Grossman is to head a US task force to work with Australia, India and Japan to help coordinate the joint operation "and to encourage other nations to participate in the relief efforts," the president said. The United States has already sent or promised 35 million dollars in aid and sent military transporters to the region. An aircraft carrier, helicopter carrier and military forces that could help in relief efforts are also on the way from bases in Asia. Bush said efforts should be made to set up an international tsunami alert system. One already exists for the Pacific but there is nothing for the Indian Ocean. "It's a part of the long-term strategy in how to deal with a natural disaster is to make sure we, the world, has a proper tsunami warning system." He said the Sri Lankan President Chandrika Kumaratunga had raised the need for an alert system during their talks. "Clearly there wasn't a proper warning system in place for that part of the world. And it seems like to me it makes sense for the world to come together to develop a warning system that will help all nations," Bush said.

---------------

No European countries countries in this group? Maybe they were too busy at the UN.

---------------

What's it that Rush always says about Liberals liking symbolism over substance..........This is a classic example of that...

Forum List

Back