"The Star-Spangled Banner" the part less known.

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
And where is that band who so vauntingly swore, That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion A home and a Country should leave us no more? Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution. No refuge could save the hireling and slave From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave, And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation! Blest with vict'ry and peace may the heav'n rescued land Praise the power that hath made and preserv'd us a nation! Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto - "In God is our trust," And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

https://amhistory.si.edu/starspangledbanner/pdf/ssb_lyrics.pdf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The British offered freedom for the slaves who fought with them, (what would you do for freedom) one answer is to fight. Why do we have wars?? ( I don't know anymore but why did the Puritans come to the new country to get out from under the authority of England)

Land of the Free, not for the African Americans, slavery was just really getting started in 1812.

Maybe we should change our anthem. Also wrote by someone who fought abolitionists.

The English anthem has this verse.

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!

source: Britain National Anthem Lyrics

And yet they cant understand why the Scots are a bit iffy about it.

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
God save the Queen!

OH!!! those pesky scots again--------does Donald know?
I would imagine so. He is known for his extensive knowledge of everything.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore, That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion A home and a Country should leave us no more? Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution. No refuge could save the hireling and slave From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave, And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation! Blest with vict'ry and peace may the heav'n rescued land Praise the power that hath made and preserv'd us a nation! Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto - "In God is our trust," And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The British offered freedom for the slaves who fought with them, (what would you do for freedom) one answer is to fight. Why do we have wars?? ( I don't know anymore but why did the Puritans come to the new country to get out from under the authority of England)

Land of the Free, not for the African Americans, slavery was just really getting started in 1812.

Maybe we should change our anthem. Also wrote by someone who fought abolitionists.

"This Land is Your Land" or "America the Beautiful" are good choices, easier to sing also.

O

Or maybe the nation needs to move toward an originalist position, and start recognizing both; the founders original intent, and the acceptance that adhering to that intent, is what allowed our nation to rise to the prominence that it did.

*yawn*

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
God save the Queen!

I think it's time to kill the English.

are you Scottish---my bonnie laddie?

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
God save the Queen!

Mostly.

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
God save the Queen!

Mostly.

Oh----I grew up in the north east USA----where lots of DA ORIGINAL americans (ie from Europe-----besides the Indians)
lived before the revolutionary war------considerable number of scots in the mix-------farmer kind of people----
or descendants thereof. -----LOTS continued to talk like Scotsmen------they just never gave up the old accent and PROUD
DEMEANOR (not such an easy group----especially the bonnie lassies--------but honest-----as da day is long. I would hear
BAGPIPES when some of the old timers spoke

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
God save the Queen!

Mostly.

Oh----I grew up in the north east USA----where lots of DA ORIGINAL americans (ie from Europe-----besides the Indians)
lived before the revolutionary war------considerable number of scots in the mix-------farmer kind of people----
or descendants thereof. -----LOTS continued to talk like Scotsmen------they just never gave up the old accent and PROUD
DEMEANOR (not such an easy group----especially the bonnie lassies--------but honest-----as da day is long. I would hear
I watched a shitload of Star Trek episodes.
And I've seen Braveheart

Mostly.

I watched a shitload of Star Trek episodes.
And I've seen Braveheart

star trek? me too------I think that scotty died------end of the BEAM UP. Braveheart? never liked it----never sat thru the whole thing----too violent---
even before Mel Gibson turned into a Nazi pig

"This Land is Your Land" or "America the Beautiful" are good choices, easier to sing also.

I doubt anyone would have a problem standing and facing the flay with this song.

I doubt anyone would have a problem standing and facing the flay with this song.

No self respecting White would stand with those mamzers

who are the "mamzer(s) " in this scenario, Cossack, dear?

Here are the unsung verses - I've heard from the Army and Marine choruses.

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep
Where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream,
’Tis the star-spangled banner—O long may it wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
Between their lov’d home and the war’s desolation!
Blest with vict’ry and peace may the heav’n rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserv’d us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto – “In God is our trust,”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

SpringSTEIN really? OY !!

SpringSTEIN really? OY !!

Anyone can sing it.

Forum List

Back