The Slavery of Materialism

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
I find it disheartening to see so many young people who are nowhere near what would be considered "well off" so blatantly attempting to define their self worth through material goods. Usually it's gold jewelry, technology, or ridiculously overpriced footwear of some sort, but today I saw a kid who was proudly displaying the sales tags he left on the $200 jeans he was wearing. It looked absolutely ridiculous (and I mocked him for it), but he didn't seem to care. He needed everyone to know how much his pants cost. Absurd and disappointing. Self-imposed slavery is the worst kind, because no war or constitutional amendment can end it if the slave embraces it.

I find it disheartening to see so many young people who are nowhere near what would be considered "well off" so blatantly attempting to define their self worth through material goods. Usually it's gold jewelry, technology, or ridiculously overpriced footwear of some sort, but today I saw a kid who was proudly displaying the sales tags he left on the $200 jeans he was wearing. It looked absolutely ridiculous (and I mocked him for it), but he didn't seem to care. He needed everyone to know how much his pants cost. Absurd and disappointing. Self-imposed slavery is the worst kind, because no war or constitutional amendment can end it if the slave embraces it.
Marxism is a materialistic philosophy that reduces human worth to how much is in their bank account.

And it is being pushed by the Left world-wide.

They're filling a hole. They're all depressed for some reason. Young people are fucked up.

Marxism is a materialistic philosophy that reduces human worth to how much is in their bank account.

And it is being pushed by the Left world-wide.
Really?

I thought in Marxism people didn't really own their own material goods, and that money is regulated.

Seems about even to me.
Maybe.

I'm pretty sure the science backs me up on this one though. I think it's because young people are growing up with a level of disconnect that's even greater than their parents. You've got 8 year olds glued to phones and tablets. Kids barely want to go outside anymore.

My parents forced me to go outside and develop my social skills. Thank God for that.

Maybe.

I'm pretty sure the science backs me up on this one though. I think it's because young people are growing up with a level of disconnect that's even greater than their parents. You've got 8 year olds glued to phones and tablets. Kids barely want to go outside anymore.

My parents forced me to go outside and develop my social skills. Thank God for that.
Every generation insists the one that comes after it is completely fucked up. Which means...

Every generation insists the one that comes after it is completely fucked up. Which means...
The nature of the dysfunctions change I think. The Romans weren't worried about their kids never wanting to go outside.

Everybody suffers and has pain in life. I just think it's getting really strange right now and I'm not even an old person.

social media probably has a lot to do with that
It's the physical disconnect in general. People are living life through pixilation instead of getting out there and touching, feeling, breathing real life.

A lot of young people are very socially stunted right now. Surely the OP has noticed this as a teacher. Levels of academic ignorance are getting alarming as well.

It's kinda drilled into a lot of kids by their parents and family members that wealth = success and success defines self-worth. Many times we've heard about someone in the family being a good for nothing failure, mostly in the context of a lack of money or job. A good parent wants his/her kids to have a better life than they did, and for many of them that means greater wealth. And I don't remember much discussion about any other way to define one's self-worth.

It's a real point.

Do you own your stuff, or does it own you?

Forum List

Back