CDZ The shape of things to come ... unless

Meanwhile Obama and the Dems and Boehner ran up over $8 TRILLION in new debt

Nearly $7 trillion of our total debt was accumulated under Bush and Obama during years when tax revenues were under 17% of GDP. This was simply due to the Bush tax cuts which put a huge hole in tax collections during years when the economy was not doing as well as expected. Over the past 50 to 60 years, we have had federal outlays averaging around 20% of GDP with revenues averaging 18.5% of GDP. In years when revenues fell well below 18.5% of GDP, deficits soared. The bottom line is that Republican tax cuts have caused the vast majority of our debt, plain and simple. This idea that it has been overspending that has been the cause is an absolute fallacy.
Unless of course you realize that for tax cuts to work long term, you have to reduce spending...

So, you want to start by cutting military spending, or do you propose we cut SS and Medicare payments to recipients?
Um, how about yes, all of the above. I for one would opt out of SS and future eligability for Medicare, they can even keep what I have already "payed in"(aka : had removed from my pay).

Letting everyone opt out of SS and Medicare is a great idea. Then when those people do not save anything, they will all end up being seniors on welfare because we won't force them to be homeless.

Nearly $7 trillion of our total debt was accumulated under Bush and Obama during years when tax revenues were under 17% of GDP. This was simply due to the Bush tax cuts which put a huge hole in tax collections during years when the economy was not doing as well as expected. Over the past 50 to 60 years, we have had federal outlays averaging around 20% of GDP with revenues averaging 18.5% of GDP. In years when revenues fell well below 18.5% of GDP, deficits soared. The bottom line is that Republican tax cuts have caused the vast majority of our debt, plain and simple. This idea that it has been overspending that has been the cause is an absolute fallacy.
Unless of course you realize that for tax cuts to work long term, you have to reduce spending...

So, you want to start by cutting military spending, or do you propose we cut SS and Medicare payments to recipients?
Um, how about yes, all of the above. I for one would opt out of SS and future eligability for Medicare, they can even keep what I have already "payed in"(aka : had removed from my pay).

Letting everyone opt out of SS and Medicare is a great idea. Then when those people do not save anything, they will all end up being seniors on welfare because we won't force them to be homeless.
IMO if someone is too dumb or irresponsible to save for their own future, they should be homeless. How long would it take for people to realize THEY are responsible for their own best interests? Not long i should think. SS and Medicare where and are long term solutions for what was a short term issue. If they would have had a sunset on them, as they should have, we would not be having this conversation. But, that would have meant two less entitlement programs to use, by ALL parties, to get votes. :(

IMO if someone is too dumb or irresponsible to save for their own future, they should be homeless. How long would it take for people to realize THEY are responsible for their own best interests? Not long i should think. SS and Medicare where and are long term solutions for what was a short term issue. If they would have had a sunset on them, as they should have, we would not be having this conversation. But, that would have meant two less entitlement programs to use, by ALL parties, to get votes. :(

Well, you have your right to your opinion but it will never happen. SS and Medicare are good for all Americans, and it's good for the long term economy. BTW, do you know of any countries that have no form of safety net for their seniors and are successful? If so, maybe you should move to one of those countries.

Well, you have your right to your opinion but it will never happen. SS and Medicare are good for all Americans, and it's good for the long term economy. BTW, do you know of any countries that have no form of safety net for their seniors and are successful? If so, maybe you should move to one of those countries.
Just because it doen't currentl exist, doesn't mean it is a bad idea or shouldn't be considered.
And why would you take a good arguement and completely discount it by suggesting that I leave the country, simply because I beleive we can do something you disagree with. It makes your entire aruement irrelevent. IMO

red state voters can learn from reality and begin to vote out fiscally conservatives representatives, and elect fiscally responsible representatives. Kansas' voters voted for demagogues and charlatans and are now paying the price. See:

Kansas slashes revenue forecast, adjusts budget to avert gap

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) -- Kansas slashed its revenue projections on Friday, and Republican Gov. Sam Brownback's budget director immediately announced $124 million in budget adjustments to allow the state to keep paying its bills on time.

University economists, legislative researchers and officials in Brownback's administration issued a new, more pessimistic fiscal forecast for state government after months of disappointing tax collections. The new numbers recognize recent economic slumps in agriculture and energy production and what state officials have said is a national softness in recent months in consumer spending.

The state has struggled to balance its budget since GOP legislators cut personal income taxes dramatically in 2012 and 2013 at Brownback's urging, in an effort to stimulate the economy. Most of those income tax cuts have been preserved, but Republican lawmakers raised sales and cigarette taxes in July.

Everyone is hurting because of the last 10 years of democrat rule, have you not noticed? Low oil prices don't help anyone other then the consumers.

Pitiful. An opinion based on bias sans evidence ^^^

An honest Look at what a conservative ideologue in a very red state did, and the outcome is evidence that the on going meme from the right is total bullshit.

No they did not. A war of choice + a war of choice + tax cuts + corporate welfare = one fucked up economy, which under Bush/Cheney redistributed the wealth of a nation to the few and screwed the many.

An honest Look at what a liberal ideologue in a very red and blue states did, and the outcome is evidence that the on going meme from the left is total bullshit.

And spending cuts need to be based on reality, not ideology. How effective, long term, is a cut to health care for children? The Party that claimed the mantle of the Moral Majority is morally bankrupt.

"Gov. Sam Brownback will issue $62.6 million in budget cuts and fund transfers to shore up the state’s cash reserves, his budget director announced Thursday.

"The biggest cut will come from the SCHIP program, which provides free or affordable health insurance to children of low-income families. The program will see its state funding reduced by $17.6 million. However, that will be offset by an equal increase in federal aid made possible through the Affordable Care Act."

Link: Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback’s budget cuts announced

JULY 30, 2015 ^^^

You tell us Frank, think before you cut and run.

Trading one program for another? Brownback is smart to move the burden onto a very bad program passed without a single Republican vote

LOL A truly myopic spin by the infamous creator of the Idiot-gram. Well done sir, well done.

And that response is supposed to inform what ? Other than you don't have a response.

The program hurts in many states and when Kansas Children are starving to death get back to us.

You read what you want to read, sans any effort to think. Do you even know the meaning of the word myopic?

Anyone who studies history from primary sources, and not from the active Ministry of Truth as so many self defined conservatives do, might look at the census records prior to the New Deal. Obvious without too much effort are the numbers of unrelated people all living at the same address - what they are reading are the names of people living in a residence for the poor.

No they did not. A war of choice + a war of choice + tax cuts + corporate welfare = one fucked up economy, which under Bush/Cheney redistributed the wealth of a nation to the few and screwed the many.

An honest Look at what a liberal ideologue in a very red and blue states did, and the outcome is evidence that the on going meme from the left is total bullshit.

Do you believe Gov. Brown in CA is left of center? Want to compared CA under Brown, and Kansas, Louisiana or the Federal Administrations of R's and D's?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/23/u...omy-republicans-have-a-data-problem.html?_r=0

In Kansas, Brownback tried a red-state ‘experiment.’ Now he may be paying a political price

"Gov. Sam Brownback will issue $62.6 million in budget cuts and fund transfers to shore up the state’s cash reserves, his budget director announced Thursday.

"The biggest cut will come from the SCHIP program, which provides free or affordable health insurance to children of low-income families. The program will see its state funding reduced by $17.6 million. However, that will be offset by an equal increase in federal aid made possible through the Affordable Care Act."

JULY 30, 2015 ^^^

Trading one program for another? Brownback is smart to move the burden onto a very bad program passed without a single Republican vote

LOL A truly myopic spin by the infamous creator of the Idiot-gram. Well done sir, well done.

And that response is supposed to inform what ? Other than you don't have a response.

The program hurts in many states and when Kansas Children are starving to death get back to us.

You read what you want to read, sans any effort to think. Do you even know the meaning of the word myopic?

Do you live in Kansas ?

Didn't think so.

Do you believe Gov. Brown in CA is left of center? Want to compared CA under Brown, and Kansas, Louisiana or the Federal Administrations of R's and D's?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/23/u...omy-republicans-have-a-data-problem.html?_r=0

In Kansas, Brownback tried a red-state ‘experiment.’ Now he may be paying a political price

Another classic approach.

I read the first article. The one that talks about well President Clinton did. This is life "under the democrats". Who was on the other side of things ? Let's see. That's right. In 1994, the country threw the democrats out of the house and senate. They put in a group of hard line republicans. President Clinton then got very pragmatic, threw the far left under the bus and went to work.

And you have the nerve to call others myopic. That is beyond retarded.

This entire board spends it's time arguing about Obama. He certainly has his influence, but to think that you can attribute the entire economy to one person is simply stupid. Even in situations where dictators run the show...they can't control the economy of smaller countries.....

But we somehow think that one person can manage the most complex economy (by far) on earth.

Brownback is an idiot. Has been from the start. But he get's his power from the fact that the hard right of the GOP has managed to basically obliterate the moderates in the state house and senate. That didn't just happen and it hasn't been corrected. The people of Kansas are getting what they asked for.

But to think that Kansas is now slipping into some form of poverty is stupid.

Kansas, like most of the midwest does not swing as wildly as the coasts. Right now the unemployment rate is 4.4% and appears to still be dropping. That's not a problem for anyone...is it ?

I read the first article. The one that talks about well President Clinton did. This is life "under the democrats". Who was on the other side of things ? Let's see. That's right. In 1994, the country threw the democrats out of the house and senate. They put in a group of hard line republicans. President Clinton then got very pragmatic, threw the far left under the bus and went to work.

This entire board spends it's time arguing about Obama. He certainly has his influence, but to think that you can attribute the entire economy to one person is simply stupid. Even in situations where dictators run the show...they can't control the economy of smaller countries.....

But we somehow think that one person can manage the most complex economy (by far) on earth.

Brownback is an idiot. Has been from the start. But he get's his power from the fact that the hard right of the GOP has managed to basically obliterate the moderates in the state house and senate. That didn't just happen and it hasn't been corrected. The people of Kansas are getting what they asked for.

Kansas, like most of the midwest does not swing as wildly as the coasts. Right now the unemployment rate is 4.4% and appears to still be dropping. That's not a problem for anyone...is it ?

The problem with Obama is that he is largely unlikable. Or at least the persona we see isn't.

Reagan did a lot of things I don't think I agreed with nor would I have done. But he won a second term landslide because of ONE reason, no matter what happened there NEVER was a question of what country Reagan loved.

That is all I can expect from our president, I don't get that with this one.

For example, when he called the US the greatest nation on Earth then asked the audience to help him change the US. EDIT, I misspoke, this is not something Obama actually said it is my opinion of what he says.

Last edited:

It took me a long time to finally come around to the idea that SS was a necessary program. I don't call it a "good" program.

If we are going to admit that we need to force people to save for their retirement, I would argue the system could be much better.

I can't find the YouTube video of Bernie Sanders discussing S.S. that I think is so telling.

He is making the case for pulling the cap and expanding S.S. He openly states that he doubts the current payments really giver seniors what they require.

That is why I think the concept (not the program) should be discussed at it's roots.

It could be better. I has to be better.

The trust fund that exists now grew at a time when we had more resources to throw at it. Now it is shrinking.

My point being that while I think we need this, I don't believe the current program is "good".

Compare how ?

Using what metrics.

Are you going to be like Billy000 fail and quote one statistic or are you going to do it in context ?

Let's hear it Mr. Thinker.

The problem with Obama is that he is largely unlikable. Or at least the persona we see isn't.

Reagan did a lot of things I don't think I agreed with nor would I have done. But he won a second term landslide because of ONE reason, no matter what happened there NEVER was a question of what country Reagan loved.

For example, when he called the US the greatest nation on Earth then asked the audience to help him change the US.

We are farther down the road under Obama in many regards.

My complaint against the GOP is that they had the opportunity back then to change some things around (imagine what would have happened if they had stepped forth and said...we do have a health insurance issue). Instead they became just like the looters of the far left and now we get things like Obama.

I don't like Obama either. But I don't blame him for the ills of the country. It is much more complex than that.

Don't forget the GOP has had the house now for five years. They were hired to stop Obama. They have on many fronts.

But where is the GOP leading on any of the key issues of the day ?

For example, when he called the US the greatest nation on Earth then asked the audience to help him change the US.

We are farther down the road under Obama in many regards.

My complaint against the GOP is that they had the opportunity back then to change some things around (imagine what would have happened if they had stepped forth and said...we do have a health insurance issue). Instead they became just like the looters of the far left and now we get things like Obama.

I don't like Obama either. But I don't blame him for the ills of the country. It is much more complex than that.

Don't forget the GOP has had the house now for five years. They were hired to stop Obama. They have on many fronts.

But where is the GOP leading on any of the key issues of the day ?

How can you blame Republicans yet not blame democrats, who were in power for nearly 10 years and Obama for 7? If nothing else they are BOTH at fault.

As I said in other posts. I expect the president to be a cheer leader. Someone who unites not divides. I don't see that in the country nor do I see it with Obama. Of all things the country is split over race, what is that all about? BS in my opinion.

But I do agree with you. The republicans were handed a mandate and what did they do? They jumped in bed with Obama. Especially over the budget and TPP.

Bush is no longer President and hasn't been since 2009. This is like saying Hoover won WWII

JULY 30, 2015 ^^^

Do you live in Kansas ?

Didn't think so.

I've driven through, which has as much relevance as you dumb question.

And don't pretend to think, or if you do someday, prove it by posting something thoughtful and substantive.

Forum List

Back