the Schnitzel - a standard dish in Germany

Who has enjoyed such a Schnitzel? :)
Champion (mushroom) schnitzel. My favorite. Always good eating. The Germans know their schnitzel and beer but fresh veggies and garden salads were generally scarce. A salad usually meant pickled something or other, not very light. All in all I loved Germany and thought it was only spoiled a little by the Germans.

It's a non-political thread in a non-political Forum section, under Food and Wine

Aww, now, leave the boy alone. We are enrolling him in a very special class. Hopefully, it will be a logic class.

Schnitzel stands or fast food is popular even as far East as Slovakia.....of course you can get them in Austria as well. And everywhere you go you can have them with a beer.

Schnitzel stands or fast food is popular even as far East as Slovakia.....of course you can get them in Austria as well. And everywhere you go you can have them with a beer.

Just not here. You see, we are just too civilized for such a thing. We threw out our heritage a few years ago.

1000 times.
It's called a pork fritter in English
Like fish and chips? fried in an oil bath? yuck
Schnitzel is not German BTW. It is their word for breaded tenderized meat.
Off course it is - Schnitzel just stands for a thin slice of meat - Paniertes Schnitzel (breadcrumbs) is the one commonly - abbreviated, and referred to simply as Schnitzel by barbarians and other outsiders.
And the designation Wiener Schnitzel can only be used in conjunction with beef.

Kind of a deep-fried veal patty in some cases. My wife picked up some frozen ones from Aldi a few weeks ago and I fried them, sliced them, and we had them over Spätzel with Portobello mushrooms.

Just not here. You see, we are just too civilized for such a thing. We threw out our heritage a few years ago.
Well here the DUI laws are way too stiff to risk the ticket....there? EVERYTHING is within walking distance from your home....driving is more of a luxury convenience than a necessity.

Like fish and chips? fried in an oil bath? yuck

Off course it is - Schnitzel just stands for a thin slice of meat - Paniertes Schnitzel (breadcrumbs) is the one commonly - abbreviated, and referred to simply as Schnitzel by barbarians and other outsiders.
And the designation Wiener Schnitzel can only be used in conjunction with beef.
uh... Austrian

I think you can get Schnitzel from Japan all the way to South Africa and Argentinia :)
Japan does noodle stands as fast food....and coffee sweet shops. (Dessert and coffee Japanese style)
They also have other types of dumplings or pocket foods...all wrapped with some sort of won ton or wrapper. Not so much the fried and breadcrumbs

German immigrants in the South and Midwest brought the dish to the US.

In the South it is mostly made with beef and called "Chicken (or Country) Fried Steak" and is a very common dish. It can have either white or brown gravy.

In the Midwest they use pork and call it "Pork Tenderloin" and served as a sandwich.

Both are great.

Last edited:
Schnitzel certainly isn't Fast Food intended - independent of some people at some stands stuffing it into a bun. Just as they do with steaks, sausages and anything else.

Forum List

Back