the Schnitzel - a standard dish in Germany

Schnitzel certainly isn't Fast Food intended - independent of some people at some stands stuffing it into a bun. Just as they do with steaks, sausages and anything else.
Yeah....but I ate at one personally and seen many more. They certainly are popular with the locals. As popular as the "expensive" McDonald's....which was seen as a status symbol to eat at. I laughed about it all the whole time.

I really liked the mint tea they had at the schnitzel stand though.

The guy trampled on the Austrian flag, then traveled through Austria.
Nope no Austrian flag those days, and he arrived poor, and destitute in Austria, was imprisoned and then left poorer, more destitute and disillusioned for France, were he tried to ransack some castles - and where he also met his end.

Last edited:
Yeah....but I ate at one personally and seen many more. They certainly are popular with the locals. As popular as the "expensive" McDonald's....which was seen as a status symbol to eat at. I laughed about it all the whole time.

I really liked the mint tea they had at the schnitzel stand though.
Off course - it's far healthier then a burger, it's mostly even cheaper and offered mostly at fairgrounds. However it simply doesn't taste like a real Schnitzel in a restaurant.
Same as in the USA if you order a Burger dish in a restaurant, compared with those yuck - Mc. KFc or whatever fast-food burgers.

And yes lot's off people enjoy Glühwein, me personally not at all.

Last edited:
Even though they imprisoned your Richard I. and made some real big money out of it - nope, I am a Bavarian
No, I meant the famous Wienerschnitzel is Austrian, not German.
Breaded, thin cuts of meat were also popular in the Middle East hundreds of years earlier.
Not that it really matters... just sayin it isn't really a German created food. They just made it popular in the U.S. from the large number of immigrants that came here.

Nope he arrived poor, and destitute in Austria, was imprisoned and then left poorer, destitute and disillusioned for France, were he tried to ransack some castles - and where he also met his end.
No, he had no choice. He was then moved to the custody of the Holy Roman Empire and they demanded a high ransom for him. This is why his brother raised the extreme taxes.

"Wiener" is German for veal....which is beef but specifically veal is yearling.
Wiener (Wien) stands for Vienna - so it seems Vienna people were the first ones to have the idea of using veal cutlet - for their kind of Kalbs-Schnitzel and the name stayed on.
Just like Wiener Wuerste - Vienna Sausage - originally also 60% veal and 40% pork - but nowadays more or less replaced with 60-70% pork. and 30-40% unknown.

Unless you live in the countryside where there are still butchers doing their own meat. :)

Wienerschnitzel translates to English roughly as "cut meat from Vienna".
Schnitzel - "cutting" or "to cut"
Wiener - "from Vianna.

No, he had no choice. He was then moved to the custody of the Holy Roman Empire and they demanded a high ransom for him. This is why his brother raised the extreme taxes.
If you want to be exact -
a storm drove his ship ashore near Venice, Because of the enmity with Duke Leopold of Austria, he disguised himself, but he was discovered at Vienna in December 1192 and imprisoned in the Duke’s castle at Dürnstein on the Danube. Later, he was handed over to Heinrich VI (Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire of German nations) who kept him at various imperial castles.

Under the threat of being handed over to Phillip II, (King of France) Richard agreed to the harsh terms imposed by Heinrich VI, a huge ransom of 150,000 gold marks and the surrender of his kingdom to the emperor on condition that he receive it back as a fief.

Interesting thing, if Richard would have made it back to England, regained the throne and stuck to the treaty, England would have been part of the German Holy Roman Empire :D

Vienna would be the wrong place to eat - no real authentic Austrian food there, very small portions and shit expensive.
The Greek food is great though....all them Greeks leaving Greece and moving to where the money is.

The Greek food is great though....all them Greeks leaving Greece and moving to where the money is.
Not my kind of food - I don't like lamb, the food is all very oily, and almost every dish is based around or upon Tsatsiki. But there are some nice side-dishes.
Best food in this Balkan Middle-East area IMO is Lebanese kitchen and Israeli (even though Hummus isn't my favorite).

Last edited:
If you want to be exact -
a storm drove his ship ashore near Venice, Because of the enmity with Duke Leopold of Austria, he disguised himself, but he was discovered at Vienna in December 1192 and imprisoned in the Duke’s castle at Dürnstein on the Danube. Later, he was handed over to Heinrich VI (Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire of German nations) who kept him at various imperial castles.

Under the threat of being handed over to Phillip II, (King of France) Richard agreed to the harsh terms imposed by Heinrich VI, a huge ransom of 150,000 gold marks and the surrender of his kingdom to the emperor on condition that he receive it back as a fief.

Interesting thing, if Richard would have made it back to England, regained the throne and stuck to the treaty, England would have been part of the German Holy Roman Empire :D
As far as I know, he did. But I don´t know for any surrender.

Forum List

Back