The Rise of Lonely, Single Men

Because young men are more likely to stay home paying video games than they are to socialize with the opposite sex.

I don't know if that's true or not, but technology has certainly changed the way we engage with one another. I think there are other societal factors involved as well.

Young people are moving away from the graduate, find someone, get married, have kids....wash rinse repeat.

We've got more than a few of these on this site. The problem is supposedly grown men who avoid any and all vestiges of adult manhood. They would rather squander their lives avoiding the responsibilities of being a grown man. How many "men" here have boasted about never getting married, having children, etc.? The same leftist forces that have been working hard for decades to undermine family, faith, and tradition have pushed the message that never growing up is "cool." It isn't. These self-centered weaklings are pathetic.

A man who decides not to marry or have kids is no less of a man than someone who does.

It's seems to be much more prevalent with this new generation. But what do I know, I just make sure they all stay off my lawn. :abgg2q.jpg:

I'm just saying you can see the same dynamic in old movies and Broadway shows: The Wild One, A Streetcar Named Desire, Rebel Without a Cause, etc.

"lonely" is an assumption. People are self sufficient. I doubt they are "lonely"
You must be very young.
The VAST majority of people live lives of quiet desperation
If you don't know what that saying means...
Quiet desperation is acceptance of–and surrendering to–circumstances. Quietly desperate lives are frustrated, passive, and apathetic. They're unfulfilled and unrealized
This describes the lives of most people.
People are not self sufficient, generally speaking. Without companionship people fall into vices of one kind or another. Often become bitter and resentful.

You must be very young.
The VAST majority of people live lives of quiet desperation
If you don't know what that saying means...
Quiet desperation is acceptance of–and surrendering to–circumstances. Quietly desperate lives are frustrated, passive, and apathetic. They're unfulfilled and unrealized
This describes the lives of most people.
People are not self sufficient, generally speaking. Without companionship people fall into vices of one kind or another. Often become bitter and resentful.
I'm actually very old. A good percentage of people are independent. They function and work best by themselves. They don't need another to "fulfill" any of their needs. They are not apathetic nor passive.

I'm actually very old. A good percentage of people are independent. They function and work best by themselves. They don't need another to "fulfill" any of their needs. They are not apathetic nor passive.
Then you must live in a hole.
Because that is simply not true.
If you are old, then you know that how people portray themselves to others is often quite different from who they really are.

You don't see the Me Too movement impacting this at all?

This is not my typical rosy view of relationships but a reality nonetheless. Over the last 30 years, men have become a larger portion of that growing group of long-term single people.
The sex ratio in America is about 50% men and 50% women. And bigamy is illegal. Basically, for every long-term single man there is a long-term single woman.

Sure, there are other countries where their culture encourages the abortion of female babies, but we haven't seen that trend in America.

No he isn't.

Show me where in any dictionary a definition that states a man must marry and have children
A real man doesn’t need a dictionary to know what it means to be a man. A little boy might need to think that way.

Forum List

Back