The Republican Approach to Government: Authoritarian Rule

He came clean, told the truth and payed his dues...Nixon's psychopath terrorist G. Gordon Liddy wanted to kill both him and Jeb Magruder

I happen to know one of Liddy's sons. A good man.

What your post should have said is "He came clean, told the truth and payed his dues and wrote a book that supports my view of Republicans..."

G. Gordon Liddy is a psychopath. I hope it's not genetic...

Let's see PatekPhilippe...you believe a killer like G. Gordon Liddy is a 'good man' and John Dean who told the truth is a bad guy...

Says VOLUMES about YOU...

Let's see...bfgrn cannot read yet he copys and pastes a section of the book with no pictures. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I happen to know one of Liddy's sons. A good man.

What your post should have said is "He came clean, told the truth and payed his dues and wrote a book that supports my view of Republicans..."

G. Gordon Liddy is a psychopath. I hope it's not genetic...

Let's see PatekPhilippe...you believe a killer like G. Gordon Liddy is a 'good man' and John Dean who told the truth is a bad guy...

Says VOLUMES about YOU...

Let's see...bfgrn cannot read yet he copys and pastes a section of the book with no pictures. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

My mistake... your 'good man' is a little ambiguous

Indeed it was your mistake and since Liddy's son is serving his country alongside his brother I'll take that "Says VOLUMES about YOU" comment as a sincere compliment. Thanks.

Anyone that supports the theft of liberty like the 'Patriot' act, illegal wiretapping, capital punishment and torture IS in lockstep with the right...even if they are oblivious to it.

"The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all, or cannot so well do, for themselves in their separate and individual capacities. But in all that people can individually do as well for themselves, Government ought not to interfere."
President Abraham Lincoln

Never supported the Patriot Act.

Don't support the government taxing me into oblivion either.

Tell me, what exactly can your average American" not do at all" when it comes to his daily life?

And define "not so well"

But one thing I agree with is that the government shouldn't do what I can do well.

One thing I do very well is save for retirement so the government should not take 15% of my income for Social Security.

One thing I do well is decide what to eat or drink so government should not levy taxes on me to influence those choices.

One thing I can't do at all individually is defend the country or our borders. So let the government do things like that. You know what it was meant to do.

I understand now...I just didn't know your priorities...ME....MYSELF....I...

You have not ONE liberal bone in your body...you are a right winger

I'm going to pursue this a little more.

First, you never answered my question as what exactly is the average American incapable of doing in his everyday life that the government must do for him?

Can he not choose to spend less than he earns?
Can he not choose to save for retirement?
Can he not choose to educate himself?
Can he not choose to have only as many children as he can afford?
Can he not decide which health insurance to buy?
Can he not decide to eat, drink and smoke what he wants without being taxed for it?

And just what does "not so well" mean?

As for your typical libby progressive attitude that anyone who wants to secure their own and their family's financial future is somehow selfish, I submit to you that it is the epitome of selfishness to expect another to take care of you. it is the epitome of greed to say another does not deserve to keep the fruits of their labor but rather someone who didn't work as hard or take as many personal and financial risks deserves it more.

Yawnnnnn, these hate thread just never stop.

Brgrn, a true hater.

"John Dean says republicans are mean!!"

LOL

Get a LIFE!

Hey Frank, I care about the country I leave to my children and yours and the direction it's taken.

I hate anti American authoritarians ... the 'punish' folks...

You mean like for not buying government mandated health insurance?

The Evidence Establishes, without Question, that Republican Rule Is Dangerous: Why It Is High Time to Fix This Situation, For the Good of the Nation

By JOHN W. DEAN

Friday, Oct. 31, 2008

Republicans rule, rather than govern, when they are in power by imposing their authoritarian conservative philosophy on everyone, as their answer for everything. This works for them because their interest is in power, and in what it can do for those who think as they do. Ruling, of course, must be distinguished from governing, which is a more nuanced process that entails give-and-take and the kind of compromises that are often necessary to find a consensus and solutions that will best serve the interests of all Americans.

Republicans' authoritarian rule can also be characterized by its striking incivility and intolerance toward those who do not view the world as Republicans do. Their insufferable attitude is not dangerous in itself, but it is employed to accomplish what they want, which is to take care of themselves and those who work to keep them in power.

Authoritarian conservatives are primarily anti-government, except where they believe the government can be useful to impose moral or social order (for example, with respect to matters like abortion, prayer in schools, or prohibiting sexually-explicit information from public view). Similarly, Republicans' limited-government attitude does not apply regarding national security, where they feel there can never be too much government activity - nor are the rights and liberties of individuals respected when national security is involved. Authoritarian Republicans do oppose the government interfering with markets and the economy, however - and generally oppose the government's doing anything to help anyone they feel should be able to help themselves.

In my book Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive and Judicial Branches, I set forth the facts regarding the consequences of the Republicans' controlling government for too many years. No Republican - nor anyone else, for that matter - has refuted these facts, and for good reason: They are irrefutable.

The 'Tea baggers'

The leading authority on right-wing authoritarianism, a man who devoted his career to developing hard empirical data about these people and their beliefs, is Robert Altemeyer. Altemeyer, a social scientist based in Canada, flushed out these typical character traits in decades of testing.

Altemeyer believes about 25 percent of the adult population in the United States is solidly authoritarian (with that group mostly composed of followers, and a small percentage of potential leaders). It is in these ranks of some 70 million that we find the core of the McCain/Palin supporters. They are people who are, in Altemeyer's words, are "so self-righteous, so ill-informed, and so dogmatic that nothing you can say or do will change their minds."

The Problem with Electing Authoritarian Conservatives

What is wrong with being an authoritarian conservative? Well, if you want to take the country where they do, nothing. "They would march America into a dictatorship and probably feel that things had improved as a result," Altemeyer told me. "The problem is that these authoritarian followers are much more active than the rest of the country. They have the mentality of 'old-time religion' on a crusade, and they generously give money, time and effort to the cause. They proselytize; they lick stamps; they put pressure on loved ones; and they revel in being loyal to a cohesive group of like thinkers. And they are so submissive to their leaders that they will believe and do virtually anything they are told. They are not going to let up and they are not going to go away."

While not all conservatives are authoritarians; all highly authoritarian personalities are political conservatives.
Robert Altmeyer

It would seem to me that this is a much more accurate description of the current administration and it's policies. Health care reform, all done by democrats in the back filled smoke room written by 3 people, Obama, Pelosi and Reid. BTW- the great majority of Americans are in total oppositon to it. A 787 billion dollar stimulus bill that was signed into law before ANYONE had the chance to read it. BTW- it's not working. Democrats in total power in the congress, the senate and the administration, with a filibuster proof majority in the senate. Authoritarian rule? You need to put your brain to work and figure out who the authoritarians are. :lol::cuckoo:

Last edited:
Yes Dean is correct, Repubs are authoritarians because they're MAKING people buy government mandated health care!

Varmints!!

The Evidence Establishes, without Question, that Republican Rule Is Dangerous: Why It Is High Time to Fix This Situation, For the Good of the Nation

By JOHN W. DEAN

Friday, Oct. 31, 2008

Republicans rule, rather than govern, when they are in power by imposing their authoritarian conservative philosophy on everyone, as their answer for everything. This works for them because their interest is in power, and in what it can do for those who think as they do. Ruling, of course, must be distinguished from governing, which is a more nuanced process that entails give-and-take and the kind of compromises that are often necessary to find a consensus and solutions that will best serve the interests of all Americans.

Republicans' authoritarian rule can also be characterized by its striking incivility and intolerance toward those who do not view the world as Republicans do. Their insufferable attitude is not dangerous in itself, but it is employed to accomplish what they want, which is to take care of themselves and those who work to keep them in power.

Authoritarian conservatives are primarily anti-government, except where they believe the government can be useful to impose moral or social order (for example, with respect to matters like abortion, prayer in schools, or prohibiting sexually-explicit information from public view). Similarly, Republicans' limited-government attitude does not apply regarding national security, where they feel there can never be too much government activity - nor are the rights and liberties of individuals respected when national security is involved. Authoritarian Republicans do oppose the government interfering with markets and the economy, however - and generally oppose the government's doing anything to help anyone they feel should be able to help themselves.

In my book Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive and Judicial Branches, I set forth the facts regarding the consequences of the Republicans' controlling government for too many years. No Republican - nor anyone else, for that matter - has refuted these facts, and for good reason: They are irrefutable.

The 'Tea baggers'

The leading authority on right-wing authoritarianism, a man who devoted his career to developing hard empirical data about these people and their beliefs, is Robert Altemeyer. Altemeyer, a social scientist based in Canada, flushed out these typical character traits in decades of testing.

Altemeyer believes about 25 percent of the adult population in the United States is solidly authoritarian (with that group mostly composed of followers, and a small percentage of potential leaders). It is in these ranks of some 70 million that we find the core of the McCain/Palin supporters. They are people who are, in Altemeyer's words, are "so self-righteous, so ill-informed, and so dogmatic that nothing you can say or do will change their minds."

The Problem with Electing Authoritarian Conservatives

What is wrong with being an authoritarian conservative? Well, if you want to take the country where they do, nothing. "They would march America into a dictatorship and probably feel that things had improved as a result," Altemeyer told me. "The problem is that these authoritarian followers are much more active than the rest of the country. They have the mentality of 'old-time religion' on a crusade, and they generously give money, time and effort to the cause. They proselytize; they lick stamps; they put pressure on loved ones; and they revel in being loyal to a cohesive group of like thinkers. And they are so submissive to their leaders that they will believe and do virtually anything they are told. They are not going to let up and they are not going to go away."

While not all conservatives are authoritarians; all highly authoritarian personalities are political conservatives.
Robert Altmeyer

Everything said in this piece can just as equally describe the Democrats. When are people like you going to take off the blinders and start thinking for yourselves? The Republican and Democrat parties are two sides of the same coin. Neither of them have America's best interests at heart.

Anyone remember that comment attributed to someone in the Bush Administration about "we make reality now"? And Karl Rove - remember him? - and his push for a one party (Republican) state in the US? As piss poor as the Dems are they ain't authoritarian.

What do you call a so called liberal agenda that strives to control via "good for you" social programs via draconian taxes and fines?

Got that right Skull.

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
-- Daniel Webster --

Sounds more like the "progressive" movement to me.

What a man does for others, not what they do for him, gives him immortality.
Daniel Webster

I completely disagree.

If one opens a business. He does so to make profit, and make a better life for himself and his family.

If he is successful, he may hire numerous people and supply them with their livelihoods as well as their familes.

However, he has done so for himself, to make profit. In the process, a lot of people can be benefited.

It's called freedom.

The problem occurs when the government decides to loot him, takes the money he has earned, and do with it whatever they want with it.

I understand authoritarianism just fine, and John Dean is still a leftist party man hack, like you.

The answer to his question is all too obvious: Republicans are no more "conservative" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean anymore) than you are a "Goldwater libertarian". And feel free to give up that pretense, as you are in fact nothing of the sort.

Fact remains that the demopublicraticans are playing the game between the 40-yard lines and there is no difference in substance between the two.

You are delusional. There are huge differences between Republicans and Democrats. Simply the make-up of the two parties demonstrates that.

You might as well be sitting on the floor and going, "Blah blah blah blah" for all the insight you bring.

I think President Kennedy's Special Counsel & Adviser, and primary speechwriter, Ted Sorensen said it best..."Republicans care more about property, Democrats care more about people"

"We have all made mistakes. But Dante tells us that divine justice weighs the sins of the cold-blooded and the sins of the warm-hearted on different scales. Better the occasional faults of a party living in the spirit of charity than the consistent omissions of a party frozen in the ice of its own indifference."
President John F. Kennedy

Your posts are full of information. Thanks for sharing. I have always liked John Dean and I listen to what he has to say on MSNBC. He's on there frequently.

I also want to congratulate you. I think you kicked some bagger ass today!!!! Just get ready for getting some neg reps and getting cussed out. That is their only defense.

You are delusional. There are huge differences between Republicans and Democrats. Simply the make-up of the two parties demonstrates that.

You might as well be sitting on the floor and going, "Blah blah blah blah" for all the insight you bring.

I think President Kennedy's Special Counsel & Adviser, and primary speechwriter, Ted Sorensen said it best..."Republicans care more about property, Democrats care more about people"

"We have all made mistakes. But Dante tells us that divine justice weighs the sins of the cold-blooded and the sins of the warm-hearted on different scales. Better the occasional faults of a party living in the spirit of charity than the consistent omissions of a party frozen in the ice of its own indifference."
President John F. Kennedy

Your posts are full of information. Thanks for sharing. I have always liked John Dean and I listen to what he has to say on MSNBC. He's on there frequently.

I also want to congratulate you. I think you kicked some bagger ass today!!!! Just get ready for getting some neg reps and getting cussed out. That is their only defense.

Are you retarded?

Yawnnnnn, these hate thread just never stop.

Brgrn, a true hater.
"John Dean says republicans are mean!!"

LOL

Get a LIFE!

Why?? Nixon was guilty. Yes, John Dean was one of the first White House insiders to fully cooperate with the official investigation, and the first to directly implicate the President. He testified that Nixon had been deeply involved in the cover-up of the break-in at the Watergate Hotel, and that he and Nixon had discussed various aspects of the cover-up on at least 35 separate occasions. For his testimony, Dean was either lauded for his courage and honesty or pummeled for betraying political loyalties. To this day, he remains a hated figure in Republican circles.

I was very young when Nixon resigned. The same age as his daughter, Julie Eisenhower. I was not particularly happy about his troubles. The night before he left the WH, there was footage of Nixon and Julie crying and hugging each other. It was so sad because I understood how much she loved him.

But Nixon was guilty. So nobody should hold anything against John Dean. He didn't make it all up!!! But that is a typical Republican reaction, isn't it??

Actually if you want to talk about sinister and evil look at Hillary, Whitwater, and the Vince Foster scandal.

Anyone remember that comment attributed to someone in the Bush Administration about "we make reality now"? And Karl Rove - remember him? - and his push for a one party (Republican) state in the US? As piss poor as the Dems are they ain't authoritarian.

Oh really? Forcing people to buy a product from a private company under the penalty of jail time if they refuse is not authoritarian? That's just one of many examples.

i think president kennedy's special counsel & adviser, and primary speechwriter, ted sorensen said it best..."republicans care more about property, democrats care more about people"

"we have all made mistakes. But dante tells us that divine justice weighs the sins of the cold-blooded and the sins of the warm-hearted on different scales. Better the occasional faults of a party living in the spirit of charity than the consistent omissions of a party frozen in the ice of its own indifference."
president john f. Kennedy

your posts are full of information. Thanks for sharing. I have always liked john dean and i listen to what he has to say on msnbc. He's on there frequently.

are you retarded?

$imagesCACVTA5X.jpgraspberry.jpg

Oh really? Forcing people to buy a product from a private company under the penalty of jail time if they refuse is not authoritarian? That's just one of many examples.

I have a better example. People with no insurance that go to the emergency room and have a serious condition that requires immediate attention. Like surgery. Whom do you think pays for the surgeon, doctors, nurses, radiology, lab, meds, and other miscellaneous??

I have a better example. People with no insurance that go to the emergency room and have a serious condition that requires immediate attention. Like surgery. Whom do you think pays for the surgeon, doctors, nurses, radiology, lab, meds, and other miscellaneous??

I have an even better example....24 year old kid right out of college gets a nice $65,000 a year job. When asked if he want's health insurance he says no thanks, then he goes out and buys a BMW and a condo. Now multiply that by 15,994,347 million. Who do you think pays for his healthcare when he needs it?

Forum List

Back