The Republican Approach to Government: Authoritarian Rule

I always find it ironic the right clamors for liberty, yet they blindly support draconian theft of liberty for their self centered temporary safety...like the misnomer called a Patriot' act, or illegal wiretapping, capital pinishment which IS death BY the state, torture of 'others'...

Pretty empty 'liberty' when human beings are incarcerated, abused and killed

BTW, your 'good intentions' quote is Noah Webster

Those who want the Government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination.
President Harry S. Truman

Don't assume those that disagree with your progressive agenda are somehow in lockstep with the "right"

And just what does the so called progressive agenda strive to do if not "regulate matters of mind and spirit" I'll go so far as to say the left would regulate body mind and spirit if they had the chance.

Anyone that supports the theft of liberty like the 'Patriot' act, illegal wiretapping, capital punishment and torture IS in lockstep with the right...even if they are oblivious to it.

"The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all, or cannot so well do, for themselves in their separate and individual capacities. But in all that people can individually do as well for themselves, Government ought not to interfere."
President Abraham Lincoln

Never supported the Patriot Act.

Don't support the government taxing me into oblivion either.

Tell me, what exactly can your average American" not do at all" when it comes to his daily life?

And define "not so well"

But one thing I agree with is that the government shouldn't do what I can do well.

One thing I do very well is save for retirement so the government should not take 15% of my income for Social Security.

One thing I do well is decide what to eat or drink so government should not levy taxes on me to influence those choices.

One thing I can't do at all individually is defend the country or our borders. So let the government do things like that. You know what it was meant to do.

So is this your idea of something worth "engaging", Jethro?

The unabashed Freudian projection in that heaping pile of manure is astonishing. :eek:

Of course, the presumption that handing the whole gubmint over to authoritarian democrats is going to bear any better fruit is laughable, too.

My thought exactly. If you look, it seems everywhere the word republican was used, you could inserd Democrat and it would all still fit.
Some people need a party to stick with I guess and not look at things without bias.

Not only are Facts are stubborn things, they tend to make Libruls look like complete fucking Idiots

John Adams and CF

Don't assume those that disagree with your progressive agenda are somehow in lockstep with the "right"

And just what does the so called progressive agenda strive to do if not "regulate matters of mind and spirit" I'll go so far as to say the left would regulate body mind and spirit if they had the chance.

Anyone that supports the theft of liberty like the 'Patriot' act, illegal wiretapping, capital punishment and torture IS in lockstep with the right...even if they are oblivious to it.

"The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all, or cannot so well do, for themselves in their separate and individual capacities. But in all that people can individually do as well for themselves, Government ought not to interfere."

Tell me, what exactly can your average American" not do at all" when it comes to his daily life?

And define "not so well"

But one thing I agree with is that the government shouldn't do what I can do well.

One thing I do very well is save for retirement so the government should not take 15% of my income for Social Security.

One thing I do well is decide what to eat or drink so government should not levy taxes on me to influence those choices.

One thing I can't do at all individually is defend the country or our borders. So let the government do things like that. You know what it was meant to do.

I understand now...I just didn't know your priorities...ME....MYSELF....I...

You have not ONE liberal bone in your body...you are a right winger

The Evidence Establishes, without Question, that Republican Rule Is Dangerous: Why It Is High Time to Fix This Situation, For the Good of the Nation

By JOHN W. DEAN

Friday, Oct. 31, 2008

Republicans rule, rather than govern, when they are in power by imposing their authoritarian conservative philosophy on everyone, as their answer for everything. This works for them because their interest is in power, and in what it can do for those who think as they do. Ruling, of course, must be distinguished from governing, which is a more nuanced process that entails give-and-take and the kind of compromises that are often necessary to find a consensus and solutions that will best serve the interests of all Americans.

Republicans' authoritarian rule can also be characterized by its striking incivility and intolerance toward those who do not view the world as Republicans do. Their insufferable attitude is not dangerous in itself, but it is employed to accomplish what they want, which is to take care of themselves and those who work to keep them in power.

Authoritarian conservatives are primarily anti-government, except where they believe the government can be useful to impose moral or social order (for example, with respect to matters like abortion, prayer in schools, or prohibiting sexually-explicit information from public view). Similarly, Republicans' limited-government attitude does not apply regarding national security, where they feel there can never be too much government activity - nor are the rights and liberties of individuals respected when national security is involved. Authoritarian Republicans do oppose the government interfering with markets and the economy, however - and generally oppose the government's doing anything to help anyone they feel should be able to help themselves.

In my book Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive and Judicial Branches, I set forth the facts regarding the consequences of the Republicans' controlling government for too many years. No Republican - nor anyone else, for that matter - has refuted these facts, and for good reason: They are irrefutable.

The 'Tea baggers'

The leading authority on right-wing authoritarianism, a man who devoted his career to developing hard empirical data about these people and their beliefs, is Robert Altemeyer. Altemeyer, a social scientist based in Canada, flushed out these typical character traits in decades of testing.

Altemeyer believes about 25 percent of the adult population in the United States is solidly authoritarian (with that group mostly composed of followers, and a small percentage of potential leaders). It is in these ranks of some 70 million that we find the core of the McCain/Palin supporters. They are people who are, in Altemeyer's words, are "so self-righteous, so ill-informed, and so dogmatic that nothing you can say or do will change their minds."

The Problem with Electing Authoritarian Conservatives

What is wrong with being an authoritarian conservative? Well, if you want to take the country where they do, nothing. "They would march America into a dictatorship and probably feel that things had improved as a result," Altemeyer told me. "The problem is that these authoritarian followers are much more active than the rest of the country. They have the mentality of 'old-time religion' on a crusade, and they generously give money, time and effort to the cause. They proselytize; they lick stamps; they put pressure on loved ones; and they revel in being loyal to a cohesive group of like thinkers. And they are so submissive to their leaders that they will believe and do virtually anything they are told. They are not going to let up and they are not going to go away."

While not all conservatives are authoritarians; all highly authoritarian personalities are political conservatives.
Robert Altmeyer

Does he belong to one of those 70s groups like the Bill Ayers was in at the time? They believed that because people like the ones mentioned above should be put into 're-education camps' or 'eliminated'. They estimated it would take the 'elimination' of 10% of the population to accomplish 'their' usurpation of power. His arguement of 'intellect and enlightenment' is amusing. I wonder if he can change a tire.

The Evidence Establishes, without Question, that Republican Rule Is Dangerous: Why It Is High Time to Fix This Situation, For the Good of the Nation

By JOHN W. DEAN

Friday, Oct. 31, 2008

Republicans rule, rather than govern, when they are in power by imposing their authoritarian conservative philosophy on everyone, as their answer for everything. This works for them because their interest is in power, and in what it can do for those who think as they do. Ruling, of course, must be distinguished from governing, which is a more nuanced process that entails give-and-take and the kind of compromises that are often necessary to find a consensus and solutions that will best serve the interests of all Americans.

Republicans' authoritarian rule can also be characterized by its striking incivility and intolerance toward those who do not view the world as Republicans do. Their insufferable attitude is not dangerous in itself, but it is employed to accomplish what they want, which is to take care of themselves and those who work to keep them in power.

Authoritarian conservatives are primarily anti-government, except where they believe the government can be useful to impose moral or social order (for example, with respect to matters like abortion, prayer in schools, or prohibiting sexually-explicit information from public view). Similarly, Republicans' limited-government attitude does not apply regarding national security, where they feel there can never be too much government activity - nor are the rights and liberties of individuals respected when national security is involved. Authoritarian Republicans do oppose the government interfering with markets and the economy, however - and generally oppose the government's doing anything to help anyone they feel should be able to help themselves.

In my book Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive and Judicial Branches, I set forth the facts regarding the consequences of the Republicans' controlling government for too many years. No Republican - nor anyone else, for that matter - has refuted these facts, and for good reason: They are irrefutable.

The 'Tea baggers'

The leading authority on right-wing authoritarianism, a man who devoted his career to developing hard empirical data about these people and their beliefs, is Robert Altemeyer. Altemeyer, a social scientist based in Canada, flushed out these typical character traits in decades of testing.

Altemeyer believes about 25 percent of the adult population in the United States is solidly authoritarian (with that group mostly composed of followers, and a small percentage of potential leaders). It is in these ranks of some 70 million that we find the core of the McCain/Palin supporters. They are people who are, in Altemeyer's words, are "so self-righteous, so ill-informed, and so dogmatic that nothing you can say or do will change their minds."

What is wrong with being an authoritarian conservative? Well, if you want to take the country where they do, nothing. "They would march America into a dictatorship and probably feel that things had improved as a result," Altemeyer told me. "The problem is that these authoritarian followers are much more active than the rest of the country. They have the mentality of 'old-time religion' on a crusade, and they generously give money, time and effort to the cause. They proselytize; they lick stamps; they put pressure on loved ones; and they revel in being loyal to a cohesive group of like thinkers. And they are so submissive to their leaders that they will believe and do virtually anything they are told. They are not going to let up and they are not going to go away."

While not all conservatives are authoritarians; all highly authoritarian personalities are political conservatives.
Robert Altmeyer

Does he belong to one of those 70s groups like the Bill Ayers was in at the time? They believed that because people like the ones mentioned above should be put into 're-education camps' or 'eliminated'. They estimated it would take the 'elimination' of 10% of the population to accomplish 'their' usurpation of power. His arguement of 'intellect and enlightenment' is amusing. I wonder if he can change a tire.

JOHN DEAN
Before becoming Counsel to the President of the United States in July 1970 at age thirty-one, John Dean was Chief Minority Counsel to the Judiciary Committee of the United States House of Representatives, the Associate Director of a law reform commission, and Associate Deputy Attorney General of the United States. He served as Richard Nixon's White House lawyer for a thousand days.

He did his undergraduate studies at Colgate University and the College of Wooster, with majors in English Literature and Political Science. He received a graduate fellowship from American University to study government and the presidency, before entering Georgetown University Law Center, where he received his JD in 1965.

John has long written on the subjects of law, government, and politics, and he recounted his days in the Nixon White House and Watergate in two books, Blind Ambition (1976) and Lost Honor (1982). He lives in Beverly Hills, California with his wife Maureen, and now devotes full time to writing and lecturing, having retired from his career as a private investment banker.

I understand authoritarianism just fine, and John Dean is still a leftist party man hack, like you.

The answer to his question is all too obvious: Republicans are no more "conservative" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean anymore) than you are a "Goldwater libertarian". And feel free to give up that pretense, as you are in fact nothing of the sort.

Fact remains that the demopublicraticans are playing the game between the 40-yard lines and there is no difference in substance between the two.

You are delusional. There are huge differences between Republicans and Democrats. Simply the make-up of the two parties demonstrates that.

You might as well be sitting on the floor and going, "Blah blah blah blah" for all the insight you bring.

Charity at the point of a gun, stealing from one to give to another, is not righteous; it is evil, yet it is the only means by which the government can perform its "charity".

Anonymous

I always find it ironic the right clamors for liberty, yet they blindly support draconian theft of liberty for their self centered temporary safety...like the misnomer called a Patriot' act, or illegal wiretapping, capital pinishment which IS death BY the state, torture of 'others'...

Pretty empty 'liberty' when human beings are incarcerated, abused and killed

BTW, your 'good intentions' quote is Noah Webster

Those who want the Government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination.
President Harry S. Truman

You are right. That is terrible.

Lets' look at the left's agenda: self centered temporary safety by disarming their own citizens (endangering citizens and their property), eminant domain for pork projects (endangering citizens and their property), declaring citizens that disagree with them 'right-wing extremists' and using Homeland Security to harrass and monitor them, open our borders to anyone that will vote for 'them' [no health checks, no crimminal checks, no checks for links with gangs or terror groups (endangering citizens and their property),], taxation without representation (that would be RULERS instead of REPRESENTATIVES), spending the country and its citizens into debt to the point the country will have to inflate its dollars or default on its loans.

Please tell me what is wrong with:
lower taxes
smaller gov
more personal freedom and responsibilty
enforced borders
equal application of the law
protection of ALL citizens of ALL ages

The Republican Party is tailor made for an authoritarian type of government.

Two extreme types in the party.

Ignorant on one end, well educated, but without morals or ethics on the other.

The uneducated love this country, the educated use this country for greedy personal gains and exploit the uneducated. No one believes that educated members of congress believe in death panels and that other nonsense. They do that to "rally the base".

The educated lead the ignorant with slogans and by shouting "fire" in a crowded theater and stoking their fears stemming from their lack of understanding.

The Republican Party is mostly one race, one religion, similar education and even fairly close in age.

It's for these reasons the Republican is ripe for "picking". They are probably the only political party in the world that is hated and feared all over the world. Name the political parties in Japan or Brazil. Everyone knows and fears the US Republican Party, and with good reason.

By JOHN W. DEAN

Friday, Oct. 31, 2008

Republicans rule, ...so dogmatic that nothing you can say or do will change their minds."

What is wrong with being an authoritarian conservative? ... and do virtually anything they are told. They are not going to let up and they are not going to go away."

Robert Altmeyer

JOHN DEAN
Before becoming Counsel to the President of the United States in July 1970 at age thirty-one, John Dean was Chief Minority Counsel to the Judiciary Committee of the United States House of Representatives, the Associate Director of a law reform commission, and Associate Deputy Attorney General of the United States. He served as Richard Nixon's White House lawyer for a thousand days.

He did his undergraduate studies at Colgate University and the College of Wooster, with majors in English Literature and Political Science. He received a graduate fellowship from American University to study government and the presidency, before entering Georgetown University Law Center, where he received his JD in 1965.

John has long written on the subjects of law, government, and politics, and he recounted his days in the Nixon White House and Watergate in two books, Blind Ambition (1976) and Lost Honor (1982). He lives in Beverly Hills, California with his wife Maureen, and now devotes full time to writing and lecturing, having retired from his career as a private investment banker.

There were a lot of 'intellectuals' in those groups. You did not answer the questions.

I understand authoritarianism just fine, and John Dean is still a leftist party man hack, like you.

The answer to his question is all too obvious: Republicans are no more "conservative" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean anymore) than you are a "Goldwater libertarian". And feel free to give up that pretense, as you are in fact nothing of the sort.

Fact remains that the demopublicraticans are playing the game between the 40-yard lines and there is no difference in substance between the two.

You are delusional. There are huge differences between Republicans and Democrats. Simply the make-up of the two parties demonstrates that.

You might as well be sitting on the floor and going, "Blah blah blah blah" for all the insight you bring.

I think President Kennedy's Special Counsel & Adviser, and primary speechwriter, Ted Sorensen said it best..."Republicans care more about property, Democrats care more about people"

"We have all made mistakes. But Dante tells us that divine justice weighs the sins of the cold-blooded and the sins of the warm-hearted on different scales. Better the occasional faults of a party living in the spirit of charity than the consistent omissions of a party frozen in the ice of its own indifference."
President John F. Kennedy

And define "not so well"

I understand now...I just didn't know your priorities...ME....MYSELF....I...

You have not ONE liberal bone in your body...you are a right winger

Says you.

I believe everyone should be free to control their own lives and make their own decisions and not have government make them for me

By JOHN W. DEAN

Friday, Oct. 31, 2008

The 'Tea baggers'

Robert Altmeyer

This coming from a man convicted of multiple felonies....ya...he's believable and great knowing you accept the word of convicted felons as the truth....:rofl:...says a lot about you and your party.

By JOHN W. DEAN

Friday, Oct. 31, 2008

The 'Tea baggers'

Robert Altmeyer

This coming from a man convicted of multiple felonies....ya...he's believable and great knowing you accept the word of convicted felons as the truth....:rofl:...says a lot about you and your party.

The truth is the truth regardless of who says it.

By JOHN W. DEAN

Friday, Oct. 31, 2008

The 'Tea baggers'

Robert Altmeyer

He came clean, told the truth and payed his dues...Nixon's psycopath terrorist G. Gordon Liddy wanted to kill both him and Jeb Magruder

Yawnnnnn, these hate thread just never stop.

Brgrn, a true hater.

"John Dean says republicans are mean!!"

LOL

Get a LIFE!

Yawnnnnn, these hate thread just never stop.

Brgrn, a true hater.

"John Dean says republicans are mean!!"

LOL

Get a LIFE!

Hey Frank, I care about the country I leave to my children and yours and the direction it's taken.

I hate anti American authoritarians ... the 'punish' folks...

By JOHN W. DEAN

Friday, Oct. 31, 2008

The 'Tea baggers'

Robert Altmeyer

He came clean, told the truth and payed his dues...Nixon's psycopath terrorist G. Gordon Liddy wanted to kill both him and Jeb Magruder

I happen to know one of Liddy's sons. A good man.

What your post should have said is "He came clean, told the truth and payed his dues and wrote a book that supports my view of Republicans..."

He came clean, told the truth and payed his dues...Nixon's psychopath terrorist G. Gordon Liddy wanted to kill both him and Jeb Magruder

I happen to know one of Liddy's sons. A good man.

What your post should have said is "He came clean, told the truth and payed his dues and wrote a book that supports my view of Republicans..."

G. Gordon Liddy is a psychopath. I hope it's not genetic...

Let's see PatekPhilippe...you believe a killer like G. Gordon Liddy is a 'good man' and John Dean who told the truth is a bad guy...

Says VOLUMES about YOU...

Forum List

Back