The rapidly disappearing Arctic ice cap - from the experts

LOLOLOL....it's actually really funny to watch you spew ignorant nonsense and then try to pretend you know more than everyone else....including virtually all of the world's climate scientists.....you are such a loon, Ejakulatra....where exactly do you imagine Greenland to be located anyway, numbnuts?

See the Arctic Circle....see Greenland....see the Arctic Ice Cap....LOL....see how stupidly ignorant you are....

arctic.gif
Yes, I see Greenland, it is nowhere near the north pole, I know you can measure it with your....... and it seems like an inch away but that is a colored picture, not the earth. On the Earth, that there greenland is actually pretty far from the North Pole, hence nobody ever considers Greenland as being part of the Polar Ice Cap.

So wrong about Greenland, is it possible you are confusing Arctic Sea Ice with the Polar Ice Cap.

Wikipedia? What is wrong, you lost your coloring book to reference?

LOLOLOL....it's actually really funny to watch you spew ignorant nonsense and then try to pretend you know more than everyone else....including virtually all of the world's climate scientists.....you are such a loon, Ejakulatra....where exactly do you imagine Greenland to be located anyway, numbnuts?

See the Arctic Circle....see Greenland....see the Arctic Ice Cap....LOL....see how stupidly ignorant you are....

arctic.gif
Yes, I see Greenland, it is nowhere near the north pole, I know you can measure it with your....... and it seems like an inch away but that is a colored picture, not the earth. [No moron, that is a 'MAP' of the Earth, drawn to scale] On the Earth, that there greenland is actually pretty far from the North Pole, hence nobody ever considers Greenland as being part of the Polar Ice Cap.
OK....we're going to stop this little dance right here, Ejakulatra.

That statement proves that you are completely fucking insane.

Therefore....,even though I regularly debunk your demented denier cult drivel with the scientific facts, it is clear that even engaging with you at all is a futile waste of time. You are just TOO INSANE!!!

BTW, you wacko cretin, the northern part of Greenland is only about 450 miles from the actual geographical North Pole. Almost all of Greenland is inside the Arctic Circle.

arctic.gif

Polar ice cap
Wikipedia
A polar ice cap is a high-latitude region of a planet that is covered in ice.[1]

Earth's North Pole is covered by floating pack ice (sea ice) over the Arctic Ocean. In addition, the Greenland ice sheet covers about 1.71 million km² and contains about 2.6 million km³ of ice.

Over the past several decades, Earth’s polar ice caps have gained significant attention because of the alarming decrease in land and sea ice.

In the early 1950s, scientists and engineers from the US Army began drilling into polar ice caps for geological insight.

BTW, little retard, "Drilling into polar ice caps" = drilling ice cores on the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets.

arctic.gif
Yes, I see Greenland, it is nowhere near the north pole, I know you can measure it with your....... and it seems like an inch away but that is a colored picture, not the earth. [No moron, that is a 'MAP' of the Earth, drawn to scale] On the Earth, that there greenland is actually pretty far from the North Pole, hence nobody ever considers Greenland as being part of the Polar Ice Cap.

Therefore....,even though I regularly debunk your demented denier cult drivel with the scientific facts, it is clear that even engaging with you at all is a futile waste of time. You are just TOO INSANE!!!

BTW, you wacko cretin, the northern part of Greenland is only about 450 miles from the actual geographical North Pole. Almost all of Greenland is inside the Arctic Circle.

arctic.gif

Polar ice cap
Wikipedia
A polar ice cap is a high-latitude region of a planet that is covered in ice.[1]

Earth's North Pole is covered by floating pack ice (sea ice) over the Arctic Ocean. In addition, the Greenland ice sheet covers about 1.71 million km² and contains about 2.6 million km³ of ice.

Over the past several decades, Earth’s polar ice caps have gained significant attention because of the alarming decrease in land and sea ice.

In the early 1950s, scientists and engineers from the US Army began drilling into polar ice caps for geological insight.

BTW, little retard, "Drilling into polar ice caps" = drilling ice cores on the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets.
No where does it say, Greenland is at the North Pole?

Only in soilingblunder's mind is there a victory, you are simply wrong.

Greenland is part of the Polar Ice cap? That actually means there is a different between sea ice and a polar ice cap, seeings how you can not call greenlands ice, sea ice.

Soilingblunder, you can cut and paste, change the font sizes, but when one demands that you think, you run to wikipedia and blunder.

arctic.gif

arctic.gif

Polar ice cap
Wikipedia

I did not say that Greenland was "at the North Pole", retard, I said that Greenland was mostly in the Arctic Circle and the northern edge is only about 450 miles away from the center of the Arctic - the North Pole.

You are simply crazy!

Greenland is part of the Polar Ice cap?
Yes, it is.....as the material I've cited makes very clear....to everyone but delusional retards like you apparently.

Polar ice cap
A polar ice cap is a high-latitude region of a planet that is covered in ice.

....and there's Greenland....entirely in the 'high-latitude region' and covered in ice.
gr15.jpg

Paraphrasing -

There is no geological requirement for for a body of ice to be over land for it to be termed a polar ice cap; only that it must be a body of solid phase matter in the polar region.

arctic.gif

arctic.gif

Polar ice cap
Wikipedia

I did not say that Greenland was "at the North Pole", retard, I said that Greenland was mostly in the Arctic Circle and the northern edge is only about 450 miles away from the center of the Arctic - the North Pole.

You are simply crazy!

Yes, it is.....as the material I've cited makes very clear....to everyone but delusional retards like you apparently.

Polar ice cap

....and there's Greenland....entirely in the 'high-latitude region' and covered in ice.
gr15.jpg

Paraphrasing -

There is no geological requirement for for a body of ice to be over land for it to be termed a polar ice cap; only that it must be a body of solid phase matter in the polar region.
Wow, such a blatant lie. You never said that and yet another blunder by blunder.

arctic.gif

arctic.gif

Polar ice cap
Wikipedia

You are simply crazy!

Polar ice cap

gr15.jpg

Paraphrasing -

We can all see how smart blunder is, the polar ice cap is called such because it is at the north pole. Greenland is not part of the polar ice cap. Although a sgeet if ice fron the polar reguon can extend further, to cover Greenland.

That was one big blunder of yours, soiling blunder.

Now are still calling greenland sea ice?

The ice sheet of Greenland - which contains enough water to significantly affect global sea levels - is affected by the same climatic conditions that affect the Arctic. The Greenland ice sheet is also well positioned to affect the AMOC with its fresh water runoff.

What is your point, anyway? Do you believe that Greenland is not melting?

Oh my, more complete stupidity from Elektra. Someday, she will post something that vaguely makes sense, and surprise us all. In the meantime, the accelerating melt of the ice on Greenland continues.
Tell us about P=IE, or did you forget to go back to that thread, LIAR

Old Crock thinks you calculate power by multiplying resistance by current, and at that, 1 amp can not create 12 watts, which is P=IE or 12w = 1 amp x 12 volts

How come the Old Liar, who is 72 and in college, can not do simple math with simple formulas yet thinks he understands the difference between a hypothesis and a theory?

LOL. stupid, stupid Elektra. Power = Current time Potential, or, exactly the same, Watts = Amps time Volts.
And stating that there are 12 Amps in a Watt is rather humorous, indicative of someone with little grasp of science.

And by the way, mr. Spelling Nazi;

We can all see how smart blunder is, the polar ice cap is called such because it is at the north pole. Greenland is not part of the polar ice cap. Although a sgeet if ice fron the polar reguon can extend further, to cover Greenland.

From your post # 27 on this thread. Mrs. Elektra, you are a hoot.

LOL. stupid, stupid Elektra. Power = Current time Potential, or, exactly the same, Watts = Amps time Volts.
And stating that there are 12 Amps in a Watt is rather humorous, indicative of someone with little grasp of science..
Old Crock, 12 amps does equal 1 watt, 1 watt = 12 amps x 0.083334 volts.

I never made that statement, Old Crock, but I have shown you the simple math that shows in a circuit with 12 amps and 0.083334 volts it does in fact produce 12 watts.

Old Crock, you are really stupid, the formula is P=IE, you can change the watts and current all you like, and there will always be a voltage that will make it work. It is simple math.

Old Crock, you have no understanding of basic electronics, let alone a grasp of science.

Oh my, more complete stupidity from Elektra. Someday, she will post something that vaguely makes sense, and surprise us all. In the meantime, the accelerating melt of the ice on Greenland continues.

Old Crock thinks you calculate power by multiplying resistance by current, and at that, 1 amp can not create 12 watts, which is P=IE or 12w = 1 amp x 12 volts

How come the Old Liar, who is 72 and in college, can not do simple math with simple formulas yet thinks he understands the difference between a hypothesis and a theory?

Actual topic of this thread:

The trolls, like Ejakulatra, are constantly trying to derail threads into quibbles about irrelevant details about something that has nothing to do with the actual topic....like right here with this bullshit about electricity.

Watch them, and call them on it....they try to do this all the time.....with any topic that has any real significance.....off into the ozone with irrelevant bullshit and pointless distractions....

So...back on topic! The Arctic and the rapid warming there.

This is what happens when the Arctic warms twice as fast as the rest of the planet
The Washington Post
By Darryl Fears
December 15, 2015
For a second straight year, the Arctic is warming faster than any other place in the world, and walrus populations in the area’s Pacific and Atlantic ocean regions are thinning along with the ice sheets that are critical for their survival, researchers reported Tuesday.

Overall, the outlook for the frozen top of the world is bleak, according to the annual Arctic Report Card: 2015 Update released by the federal National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Since the turn of the last century, it said, the Arctic’s air temperature has increased by more than 5 degrees due to global warming.

Warmer air and sea temperatures melt ice that in turn expands oceans and causes sea-level rise, which scientists say presents a danger to cities along the entire Atlantic coast, from Miami to Washington to Boston. Walrus and other arctic mammals that give birth on ice sheets are struggling with the change, and fish such as cod and Greenland halibut are swimming north from fishermen and animals that feed on them in pursuit of colder waters.

[The Arctic keeps warming. And polar bears are feeling the heat]

NOAA chief scientist Richard Spinrad said changes in the Arctic portend changes that are likely to spread to the wider world — higher air temperatures, longer hot seasons, anomalous weather spikes and fish fleeing north only to be replaced by new species swimming from areas south. “The conclusion that comes to my mind is these report cards are trailing indicators of what’s happening in the Arctic. They can turn out to be leading indicators for the rest of the globe,” Spinrad said.

The annual average surface-air temperature over the period of the report, between October 2014 and September 2015, was nearly 2.5 degrees higher than the time period scientists use as a baseline to compare temperatures, 1981 to 2010. As a result, Alaska was warmer in fall 2014 and winter this year, when the snow pack that usually melts to replenish rivers and moisten the earth was extremely low.

Lightning strikes on dry land sparked that state’s second-worst wildfire season in its history. According to the NOAA report card, “the 2015 spring melt season provided evidence of earlier snow melt across the Arctic” because of the increased warmth. As of early July, the Arctic melt included more than half of the region’s ice sheet for the first time “since the exceptional melt of 2012.” The length of the melt season was up to 4o days longer than that of the average northwestern, northeastern and western regions, the report said.

This year’s findings are largely consistent with the dire findings last year. Dozens of scientists from across the world contribute to the report card, including those from U.S. Naval Research and the Army Corps of Engineers, the Institute of Marine Research in Norway, Knipovich Polar Research Institute of Marine Fisheries and Oceanography in Russia and University of Victoria in Canada.

[A stunning five million acres have burned in Alaskan wildfires this year]

The report cards’ year-to-year consistency will help scientists establish whether they are watching a weather anomaly in a key part of the world or an established trend. “What you see here is stronger confirmation,” Spinrad said.

A separate study focusing on Alaska’s North Slope, which was presented late Tuesday at the fall meeting of the American Geophysical Union, estimates that the permafrost there will decline rapidly over time because of rising temperatures. Vladimir Romanovsky, head of the Permafrost Laboratory at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, said thinning permafrost is already causing roads and houses built on it to crumble.

Under these conditions, the permafrost will become unstable beneath any infrastructure such as roads, pipelines and buildings,” Romanovsky said. “The result will be dramatic effects on infrastructure and ecosystems.

Another researcher at the university, Santosh Panda, said permafrost that covers virtually all of five national parks as large collectively as South Carolina could decline by 10 percent within the next 35 years. “Permafrost degradation is going to touch the whole landscape through changes in water distribution, slope failures and changes in vegetation that will affect wildlife habitat and the aesthetic value of the parks,” Panda said.

In the Arctic, the age of ice generally defines the region’s health. Older ice is thicker, more resilient and resistant to atmospheric changes, and better at supporting mammals. Younger ice is thin and vulnerable to collapse.

imrs.php

An estimated 35,000 walruses are pictured on a beach near the village of Point Lay, Alaska, 700 miles northwest of Anchorage, in September 2014. (Corey Accardo/NOAA/NMFS/AFSC/NMML/Handout via Reuters)

Yet in nearly all Arctic regions, sea ice is decreasing, the report said. In 1985, 85 percent of the region’s ice qualified as old. In March, that fell to 30 percent. “This is the first year that first-year ice dominated the ice cover,” it notes. “Sea ice cover has transformed from a strong, thick pack in the 1980s to a more fragile, thin and younger pack in recent years.

[The collapse of the Antarctic ice sheet is underway and unstoppable, but will take centuries]

Walruses are starting to teem on land as the ice fades, exposing their young to frequent trampling events. Walruses mate on the edges of ice, and females prefer giving birth and raising pups on old ice, which they use as a base to reach feeding grounds. Now many are on land, and the long path to the feeding areas are filled with animals that prey on them, such as sharks and orcas. That is further reducing walrus numbers, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service concluded in its section of the report.

Ice melt “is already a pervasive threat” to walrus, the agency’s researchers said, but how much of a threat depends on the ability of animals to adapt to change, tolerate it or flee it for more suitable habitat. Scientists estimate that Pacific walrus populations have fallen by half as a result of declining sea ice and hunting. The Atlantic stock, reduced by 80 percent through unregulated hunting between 1900 and 1960, is unknown, but estimates put the population at 25,000.

2016 Arctic Sea Ice Wintertime Extent Hits Another Record Low
---
Arctic sea ice appears to have reached a record low wintertime maximum extent for the second year in a row, according to scientists at the NASA-supported National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) and NASA.

Every year, the cap of frozen seawater floating on top of the Arctic Ocean and its neighboring seas melts during the spring and summer and grows back in the fall and winter months, reaching its maximum yearly extent between February and April. On March 24, Arctic sea ice extent peaked at 5.607 million square miles (14.52 million square kilometers), a new record low winter maximum extent in the satellite record that started in 1979. It is slightly smaller than the previous record low maximum extent of 5.612 million square miles (14.54 million square kilometers) that occurred last year. The 13 smallest maximum extents on the satellite record have happened in the last 13 years.
---

N_stddev_timeseries_thumb.png

The extremely late peak is interesting. It looked to have been caused by wind spreading as opposed to new freezing. That is, strong winds spreading ice southwards. Temperatures in the Arctic had remained above average.

Now, maximum winter cover is only correlated weakly with the summer minimum, so this doesn't mean there will be a new record summer low. The two factors that set up a record-breaking melt year are:

A. A warm/sunny April/May that seeds the central Arctic sea ice pack with melt ponds, which then absorb sunlight though the summer. With the heat released by the El Nino, we may have that.

B. Steady winds transporting thick ice from the central pack south through the Fram Strait, where it melts in the North Atlantic. With the NAO and AO flipping, we may have that.

The trolls, like Ejakulatra, are constantly trying to derail threads into quibbles about irrelevant details about something that has nothing to do with the actual topic....like right here with this bullshit about electricity.

Watch them, and call them on it....they try to do this all the time.....with any topic that has any real significance.....off into the ozone with irrelevant bullshit and pointless distractions....

This is what happens when the Arctic warms twice as fast as the rest of the planet
The Washington Post
By Darryl Fears
December 15, 2015
For a second straight year, the Arctic is warming faster than any other place in the world, and walrus populations in the area’s Pacific and Atlantic ocean regions are thinning along with the ice sheets that are critical for their survival, researchers reported Tuesday.

Overall, the outlook for the frozen top of the world is bleak, according to the annual Arctic Report Card: 2015 Update released by the federal National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Since the turn of the last century, it said, the Arctic’s air temperature has increased by more than 5 degrees due to global warming.

Warmer air and sea temperatures melt ice that in turn expands oceans and causes sea-level rise, which scientists say presents a danger to cities along the entire Atlantic coast, from Miami to Washington to Boston. Walrus and other arctic mammals that give birth on ice sheets are struggling with the change, and fish such as cod and Greenland halibut are swimming north from fishermen and animals that feed on them in pursuit of colder waters.

NOAA chief scientist Richard Spinrad said changes in the Arctic portend changes that are likely to spread to the wider world — higher air temperatures, longer hot seasons, anomalous weather spikes and fish fleeing north only to be replaced by new species swimming from areas south. “The conclusion that comes to my mind is these report cards are trailing indicators of what’s happening in the Arctic. They can turn out to be leading indicators for the rest of the globe,” Spinrad said.

The annual average surface-air temperature over the period of the report, between October 2014 and September 2015, was nearly 2.5 degrees higher than the time period scientists use as a baseline to compare temperatures, 1981 to 2010. As a result, Alaska was warmer in fall 2014 and winter this year, when the snow pack that usually melts to replenish rivers and moisten the earth was extremely low.

Lightning strikes on dry land sparked that state’s second-worst wildfire season in its history. According to the NOAA report card, “the 2015 spring melt season provided evidence of earlier snow melt across the Arctic” because of the increased warmth. As of early July, the Arctic melt included more than half of the region’s ice sheet for the first time “since the exceptional melt of 2012.” The length of the melt season was up to 4o days longer than that of the average northwestern, northeastern and western regions, the report said.

This year’s findings are largely consistent with the dire findings last year. Dozens of scientists from across the world contribute to the report card, including those from U.S. Naval Research and the Army Corps of Engineers, the Institute of Marine Research in Norway, Knipovich Polar Research Institute of Marine Fisheries and Oceanography in Russia and University of Victoria in Canada.

The report cards’ year-to-year consistency will help scientists establish whether they are watching a weather anomaly in a key part of the world or an established trend. “What you see here is stronger confirmation,” Spinrad said.

A separate study focusing on Alaska’s North Slope, which was presented late Tuesday at the fall meeting of the American Geophysical Union, estimates that the permafrost there will decline rapidly over time because of rising temperatures. Vladimir Romanovsky, head of the Permafrost Laboratory at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, said thinning permafrost is already causing roads and houses built on it to crumble.

Under these conditions, the permafrost will become unstable beneath any infrastructure such as roads, pipelines and buildings,” Romanovsky said. “The result will be dramatic effects on infrastructure and ecosystems.

Another researcher at the university, Santosh Panda, said permafrost that covers virtually all of five national parks as large collectively as South Carolina could decline by 10 percent within the next 35 years. “Permafrost degradation is going to touch the whole landscape through changes in water distribution, slope failures and changes in vegetation that will affect wildlife habitat and the aesthetic value of the parks,” Panda said.

In the Arctic, the age of ice generally defines the region’s health. Older ice is thicker, more resilient and resistant to atmospheric changes, and better at supporting mammals. Younger ice is thin and vulnerable to collapse.

imrs.php

An estimated 35,000 walruses are pictured on a beach near the village of Point Lay, Alaska, 700 miles northwest of Anchorage, in September 2014. (Corey Accardo/NOAA/NMFS/AFSC/NMML/Handout via Reuters)

Yet in nearly all Arctic regions, sea ice is decreasing, the report said. In 1985, 85 percent of the region’s ice qualified as old. In March, that fell to 30 percent. “This is the first year that first-year ice dominated the ice cover,” it notes. “Sea ice cover has transformed from a strong, thick pack in the 1980s to a more fragile, thin and younger pack in recent years.

[The collapse of the Antarctic ice sheet is underway and unstoppable, but will take centuries]

Walruses are starting to teem on land as the ice fades, exposing their young to frequent trampling events. Walruses mate on the edges of ice, and females prefer giving birth and raising pups on old ice, which they use as a base to reach feeding grounds. Now many are on land, and the long path to the feeding areas are filled with animals that prey on them, such as sharks and orcas. That is further reducing walrus numbers, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service concluded in its section of the report.

Ice melt “is already a pervasive threat” to walrus, the agency’s researchers said, but how much of a threat depends on the ability of animals to adapt to change, tolerate it or flee it for more suitable habitat. Scientists estimate that Pacific walrus populations have fallen by half as a result of declining sea ice and hunting. The Atlantic stock, reduced by 80 percent through unregulated hunting between 1900 and 1960, is unknown, but estimates put the population at 25,000.
normal

The Washington Post
By Darryl Fears
December 15, 2015

imrs.php

You mean it's normal for you to be in deep denial about the scientifically observed facts about the accelerating loss of Arctic ice, like the facts I just posted. Well....yeah....we know that.....you ARE a deranged denier cult troll, after all.

The Washington Post
By Darryl Fears
December 15, 2015

imrs.php

You mean it's normal for you to be in deep denial about the scientifically observed facts about the accelerating loss of Arctic ice, like the facts I just posted. Well....yeah....we know that.....you ARE a deranged denier cult troll, after all.
well I'd first have to see your facts. I haven't seen any from you all on the warmer side yet. You all keep saying the arctic is ice free and it ain't. So I lose all respect for your ability to understand what makes up a factual piece of data. Especially when the IPCC admits that during the rise of CO2 the temperatures were in a pause for 15 years. And that ice does not freeze at -36 degrees F. I don't know, your term for fact is flat.

With this many people feeding you facts, references, explanations, reason... how can your remain so callously and irresponsibly ignorant?

Here. This is a fact.

mean_anomaly_1953-2012.png

This is a fact

N_stddev_timeseries.png

This is a fact

gistemp_graph_2015.png

This is a fact

2016-02-16_16-06-22.jpg

ps:
jc456 said:
You all keep saying the Arctic is ice free and it aint

NO ONE ever said the Arctic was currently ice free. Saying so makes you a liar.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back