The Quandary Christians Put Gays In

So the founders got it wrong.....but you got it right?

You said so yourself, that "the founders killed gays, but Christians today don't." Or, "I'm right, the Founders are wrong." So yes, they did get it wrong.

The founders were hardly unique. The overwhelming majority of the history of the Christian faith did the same thing. So they ALL got it wrong....but you got it right?

That seems rather...improbable.

And what of yourself? Do you believe you're correct also? We got it right by learning not summarily execute gays for being gay. Yes, I did get it right. If God makes his will clear, in stated text, then the issue for me is not debatable. Marriage is between a man and a woman.

Oh, I have personal opinions. But I don't assume that my personal opinions are universal, absolute truth defined by God himself. They're just my opinions.

I admit that I am a little too absolute with my interpretation of the Bible, but there are things in the Bible that don't need to be interpreted. It's views, God's view, that marriage is between a man and a woman is one of these things. Not negotiable.

And yet it is negotiable. That you believe otherwise doesn't change the fact that the negotiations that you insist can't happen, do. Just like your insistence that your interpretations define absolute truth doesn't change the fact that someone else believes otherwise. And they are using the same process of faith, interpretation and prioritization that you are.

You simply declaring that only you are right and all others who disagree with you are wrong isn't an argument. Its circular reasoning. As your conclusion and your evidence are the same thing.

You merely assume that you're right. So do most religious folks, using the same processes you are. And by your own argument, that process produces incorrect results with almost perfect consistency. Why then would you expect us to accept that out of all the religions on all the world, all the interpretations that are or ever could be....

.....that you alone got it right?

At best, that's highly improbable. At worst, its self delusion.

What is the implication here? That we mold ourselves to be as acceptable as other religions are to gay marriage? To make ourselves more "acceptable" to others and not to God?

The implication being that your conception of god isn't necessarily correct. Most religions are mutually exclusive. If its Jesus, then it isn't Zeus and the Pantheon of Greek gods. So if you're right, that means that all the other faithful, across time and culture, are and were self deluded. Convincing themselves as completely as you're convinced, that their conception of god was correct. And being wrong.

Using the logic of faith, the process of faith produces almost perfect failure.
As virtually every conception of god would be wrong, despite using the same processes that you're using now.

And that assumes that someone has gotten it right. Its entirely possible, even probable, that you all got it wrong. Leaving us with 3 likely conclusions:

1) That the will of god is unknowable.
2) That the will of god is knowable, but no one has managed it.
3) That the will of god is knowable, but only one faith has managed to do so correctly.

In 2 out of the 3 scenarios, you're dead wrong. In the third, you're almost certainly wrong. And in every scenario, the process of faith that you are using either certainly or almost certainly leads to self delusion and fallacious conclusions.

Meaning that your conception of god is probably wrong.

You are citing Leviticus 20, or part of the Mosaic Laws. Some of the old laws in the Old Testament were only meant to be temporary, others permanent. The 613 Mosaic Laws consisted of the ceremonial, the civil, and the moral law.

The ceremonial law applied only to the worship practices of the Israelites. Jesus rendered those ceremonial laws unnecessary by coming to fulfill them. He didn't abolish them, he made them unnecessary. The principles behind the ceremonial law are still applicable to us today, that is, the principles of worshiping and serving a holy God.

So why did Christians for the majority of the history of your faith put gays to death? The modern incarnation of Christianity that didn't is barely much older than the Ipod.

At best, you're demonstrating how utterly simple and probable it is that a Christian would misinterpret their faith and kill people in violation of God's will. At worst, how any commandment, no matter how clear, can be utterly ignored by anyone who wants to interpret around it.

And recognizing how simple it is to misinterpret god's will with centuries of examples of exactly that......why do you conclude that you're somehow immune to this probable outcome when so many Christians before you weren't?

And again, that's staying within the Christian faith. Maybe the Shintoists actually got it right and you're among the self deluded masses.

Christians are supposed to be the hands and feet of Christ, to reach out to sinners with his love. Instead we treat the ones Christ loves as bitter enemies. We build impregnable fortresses from which we banish all who are different and regard them as a besieging army. We are so loud in our contention against homosexuals that we've drowned out the quiet voice of our Lord saying to love them and invite them in.

And for that we should be ashamed.
Oh, bullcrap. It's perfectly okay for Christians to believe marriage is a male and female and that homosexual marriage is wrong. Jesus Christ would tell the homosexual the same thing he told others, "Go, and sin no more."

Absolutely! It is perfectly okay for you to think that and tell all your friends that you think that.

Where ya'll run afoul is when you try to legislate those beliefs.
Nope. Legislation is allowed unless it violates the Constitution.

And legislation based on religious texts likely would.

I'm aware that prohibitions on murder exist in the Koran and the Bible. That doesn't equate to our laws being based on those.

Are you okay with Sharia law in the USA?

Do you like cheese on your cauliflower?

What, we aren't playing the non sequitur game?

Absolutely! It is perfectly okay for you to think that and tell all your friends that you think that.

Where ya'll run afoul is when you try to legislate those beliefs.

I'm aware that prohibitions on murder exist in the Koran and the Bible. That doesn't equate to our laws being based on those.

What Sharia law in the United States?

Sharia law as it pertains to American laws is unconstitutional.

Muslims in parts of America are demanding Sharia law and you're not aware? Funny and sad.

And again I say 'what Sharia law in the United States"? I no more care whether Muslims call for religiously unconstitutional laws than if Christians call for religiously unconstitutional laws.

The Constitution says fuck them and the horses they ride in on.

This has been a very personal struggle for me as a Christian with gay friends so I sympathize with those who aren't there yet. Jesus was even criticized by his own disciples for hanging out with sinners so there's nothing new about this conflict. Christians have never easily fraternized with people outside the faith, but those who truly follow Jesus do. They love who Jesus loves. That includes you.
Yes, Jesus hung out with sinners in order to save them. How many of your homo friends have you led to salvation through faith in Jesus?
I've led a lot of people to Christ. I don't know how many of them were homosexual, that seems to be something you're obsessed with, which is unseemly since all are sinners in need of God's saving grace. You really think you're better than them. According to God, you are not.
According to God I am better. The bible says so. Do you believe a practicing homosexual shall inherit the kingdom of God?
I think that homosexuals are closer to the kingdom of God than you are. You talk precisely like the very pharisees who crucified the Son of God because they thought themselves righteous and didn't like someone pointing out their sin.

Fear for your own salvation, O haughty one.
This has been a very personal struggle for me as a Christian with gay friends so I sympathize with those who aren't there yet. Jesus was even criticized by his own disciples for hanging out with sinners so there's nothing new about this conflict. Christians have never easily fraternized with people outside the faith, but those who truly follow Jesus do. They love who Jesus loves. That includes you.
Yes, Jesus hung out with sinners in order to save them. How many of your homo friends have you led to salvation through faith in Jesus?
I've led a lot of people to Christ. I don't know how many of them were homosexual, that seems to be something you're obsessed with, which is unseemly since all are sinners in need of God's saving grace. You really think you're better than them. According to God, you are not.
According to God I am better. The bible says so. Do you believe a practicing homosexual shall inherit the kingdom of God?
I think that homosexuals are closer to the kingdom of God than you are. You talk precisely like the very pharisees who crucified the Son of God because they thought themselves righteous and didn't like someone pointing out their sin.

Doesn't matter what you think. What matters is scripture. If you don't believe the Scriptures, you're the one in trouble, not me. First Corinthians chapter six is very clear about practicing drunks, idolaters, thieves, slanderers, and homosexuals not inheriting the kingdom of God. "Practice" is the key word.

'slanderers'.......wow so you are going to hell......shame and we all had such high hope for you.....

Muslims in parts of America are demanding Sharia law and you're not aware? Funny and sad.

And again I say 'what Sharia law in the United States"? I no more care whether Muslims call for religiously unconstitutional laws than if Christians call for religiously unconstitutional laws.

This Sharia law: 17:33: And do not take any human being's life - that God willed to be sacred - other than in [the pursuit of] justice."

Doesn't matter what you think. What matters is scripture. If you don't believe the Scriptures, you're the one in trouble, not me. First Corinthians chapter six is very clear about practicing drunks, idolaters, thieves, slanderers, and homosexuals not inheriting the kingdom of God. "Practice" is the key word.

'slanderers'.......wow so you are going to hell......shame and we all had such high hope for you.....
Truth isn't slander, liar. Liars go to hell. You're revealing you weakness.

Christians haven't passed any laws. Legislature passes law. You're very confused.

This Sharia law: 17:33: And do not take any human being's life - that God willed to be sacred - other than in [the pursuit of] justice."
Yeah, there's no way to interpret that as a command to kill people for religion.

Sarcasm.

Alert.

Defending Muslims now. Cool. Read us the part about Islam permitting wife beating.

Christians haven't passed any laws. Legislature passes law. You're very confused.

And Muslims don't pass laws either- you are as confused and cherry picking.

Christian Americans have passed every law that was passed by Congress. Every single one was voted in by Christian Americans.

But once again

The Constitution says fuck them and the horses they ride in on

Yeah- I wish I could say I regretted you going to hell, but I am not perfect- I cannot love my enemy that much.

Christian Americans have passed every law that was passed by Congress. Every single one was voted in by Christian Americans.

But once again

Tell me which laws passed by Christians are unconstitutional.

Yeah- I wish I could say I regretted you going to hell, but I am not perfect- I cannot love my enemy that much.
Let me know when you want to get back to the debate.

But once again

The Defense of Marriage Act.

Next question.

Defending Muslims now. Cool. Read us the part about Islam permitting wife beating.

I can read it to you from the Bible if you'd like.

Which just means, according to your bible, you'll be in hell too right?

I can read it to you from the Bible if you'd like.
Christians live in the new testament. Read it from there.

But once again

Oh that is easy:
As mentioned previously DOMA- but also:
Campaign finance laws
The Missouri Compromise
Laws requiring Segregation in Washington DC schools
The Comstock Act which restricted Americans access to contraceptives.
Parts of the Brady Act which restricted gun rights
The Flag Protection Act

In other words- every single law passed by Congress that the Supreme Court found unconstitutional.

But once again

The Defense of Marriage Act.

Next question.
True. Corrupt court and the corruption endures.

Yes they were. The bible demands that Adulterers and gays be stoned to death. The Puritans used to do both.
The Puritans were assholes. The Bible commands nobody to be stoned to death today. It doesn't command anything. It's a book. Christians follow Jesus and his commandments we attend to.

And that's the beauty of religion. You can take a straight forward, clear as day commandment.....and straight up ignore if you want to by prioritizing another passage.

And anyone can do the same. On any passage.

Which is why Christians don't kill gays anymore, despite that being the standard practice for the overwhelming majority of the history of their faith. And why Christians will continue to 'reinterpret' as they keep giving ground to gays.
You know not all Christians subscribe to the heresy of Sola Scriptura, right?

Wow, so you are basically saying that the very base of Protestantism is heretical? Just a minute. I resent that label greatly. I ask that you explain what you mean by "heresy." There is no need for such a genetic argument. I mean, I've seen enough genetic fallacies in the past few pages to fill a binder.
The Bible itself undermines Sola Scriptura. It records Christians changing the Sabbath and doing away with circumcision. The message could not be any more clear that the Christian Church in Acts followed the Holy Spirit, not a book.

Yes, the very base of Protestantism is heretical, and all the errors of Protestants stem from it.

So, what is to stop me from declaring that Prima Scriptura is heretical? That the very basis of Anglicanism takes a very nonchalant and heretical stance on the Bible?

Given that circumcision applied only to the Jewish faith, circumcision did not apply to Christians. Check out Acts 15:5-11.

As for worshiping on Sunday instead of Saturday, the Catholic denomination was solely responsible for changing the Sabbath to a Sunday beginning with the Council of Laodicea in 336 AD; in which they "transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday." That is in direct contradiction to Exodus 20:10. God did not give the Catholic church the power to change the Sabbath Day.

The Augsberg Confession:

"They [the Catholics] allege the Sabbath changed into Sunday, the Lord’s day, contrary to the decalogue, as it appears; neither is there any example more boasted of than the changing of the Sabbath day. Great, they say, is the power and authority of the church, since it dispensed with one of the ten commandments."

-Article. 28.

As for the Bible being "only a book" it says in Deuteronomy 13:4 that we are, in addition to following the Lord, to "keep his commandments." As far as those commandments go, they are written in the Bible.

"You shall follow the LORD your God and fear Him; and you shall keep His commandments, listen to His voice, serve Him, and cling to Him"

Meaning, the Bible serves as the voice of God. Without it, we know nothing of what God wants of us. His spirit moves us, his words guide us.

Forum List

Back