The Quandary Christians Put Gays In

To announce that you understand what God wants- when there are millions of people out there that also belief that Jesus is their savior and disagree with you about what God wants is quite abit of hubris.

I know what God wants, simply because he makes it clear what he wants in plain text. Don't think for a minute that I assume to know the absolute will of God. The marriage between one man and woman is his stated will.

When? What bible passage is that stated in and what was the context?

"The Slavery argument died, in the Supreme Court, six decades ago. You are being paid to provide a service, to all comers, so do that and we'll all get along like happy clams..."

If that were true it would also be illegal to refuse service to people who didn't happen to be wearing clothes.

Christians used to kill gays, citing 'According to God himself'.

Well, they weren't doing it according to God's will nor what he stated in the Bible. The Crusaders didn't either. They cherrypicked what they wanted and used those things to carry out acts of barbarity. Just as people are today.

Yes they were. The bible demands that Adulterers and gays be stoned to death. The Puritans used to do both.

Well, they weren't doing it according to God's will nor what he stated in the Bible.

'Him shall ye kill' seems pretty straight forward to me. But as I noted, you've found other passages in the bible that allow you to completely ignore that clear commandment.

And anyone can do the same. On any passage.

I personally have no problem with gays getting married anywhere they like. But it is wrong to say that Christians have put gays into any quandary. Christians have as much right to their beliefs as do gays. Why wouldn't gays want to get married where they are welcomed instead of where they aren't? I suspect they wouldn't have much of a welcome in a mosque either.

Essentially everyone wants to be married where they are welcome.

No one is forcing any church or mosque or temple to marry anyone- and they will not be doing so.

Yes- there have been business's which rent out their facilities for weddings who have refused to provide that service to homosexual couples.

If I were the one refused- I would probably just shrug and go on- but then again- as a white heterosexual man- I haven't really ever encountered any blatant discrimination based upon my race, gender or sexual orientation.

But if my wife or daughter were refused service- I would be glad to drop a dime on the business that refused to provide their service to my loved ones.

Having a right to marry does not give anyone the right to force anyone to preform a service.

Who said it did?

The government can't force a church...its congregation can.

New study finds a greater church acceptance of gays and lesbians Pew Research Center

And I didn't say otherwise.

I personally have no problem with gays getting married anywhere they like. But it is wrong to say that Christians have put gays into any quandary. Christians have as much right to their beliefs as do gays. Why wouldn't gays want to get married where they are welcomed instead of where they aren't? I suspect they wouldn't have much of a welcome in a mosque either.
Christians are supposed to be the hands and feet of Christ, to reach out to sinners with his love. Instead we treat the ones Christ loves as bitter enemies. We build impregnable fortresses from which we banish all who are different and regard them as a besieging army. We are so loud in our contention against homosexuals that we've drowned out the quiet voice of our Lord saying to love them and invite them in.

And for that we should be ashamed.
Oh, bullcrap. It's perfectly okay for Christians to believe marriage is a male and female and that homosexual marriage is wrong. Jesus Christ would tell the homosexual the same thing he told others, "Go, and sin no more."

Absolutely! It is perfectly okay for you to think that and tell all your friends that you think that.

Where ya'll run afoul is when you try to legislate those beliefs.

Essentially everyone wants to be married where they are welcome.

No one is forcing any church or mosque or temple to marry anyone- and they will not be doing so.

Yes- there have been business's which rent out their facilities for weddings who have refused to provide that service to homosexual couples.

If I were the one refused- I would probably just shrug and go on- but then again- as a white heterosexual man- I haven't really ever encountered any blatant discrimination based upon my race, gender or sexual orientation.

But if my wife or daughter were refused service- I would be glad to drop a dime on the business that refused to provide their service to my loved ones.

Having a right to marry does not give anyone the right to force anyone to preform a service.

Who said it did?

The government can't force a church...its congregation can.

New study finds a greater church acceptance of gays and lesbians Pew Research Center

And I didn't say otherwise.

You made a statement as though it was in question.

You: Having a right to marry does not give anyone the right to force anyone to preform a service.
Me: Who said it did?

So...again, who said it did?

"The Slavery argument died, in the Supreme Court, six decades ago. You are being paid to provide a service, to all comers, so do that and we'll all get along like happy clams..."

If that were true it would also be illegal to refuse service to people who didn't happen to be wearing clothes.
Nope, because reasonable people can understand the problem there but if you run a nudie restaurant and won't serve nudie gays, now you have a problem. Stop being a child.

Christians are supposed to be the hands and feet of Christ, to reach out to sinners with his love. Instead we treat the ones Christ loves as bitter enemies. We build impregnable fortresses from which we banish all who are different and regard them as a besieging army. We are so loud in our contention against homosexuals that we've drowned out the quiet voice of our Lord saying to love them and invite them in.

Oh, bullcrap. It's perfectly okay for Christians to believe marriage is a male and female and that homosexual marriage is wrong. Jesus Christ would tell the homosexual the same thing he told others, "Go, and sin no more."

Absolutely! It is perfectly okay for you to think that and tell all your friends that you think that.

Nope. Legislation is allowed unless it violates the Constitution.

Which anti-gay marriage laws did...

And legislation based on religious texts likely would.

I'm aware that prohibitions on murder exist in the Koran and the Bible. That doesn't equate to our laws being based on those.

And legislation based on religious texts likely would.

I'm aware that prohibitions on murder exist in the Koran and the Bible. That doesn't equate to our laws being based on those.

Are you okay with Sharia law in the USA?

Well, they weren't doing it according to God's will nor what he stated in the Bible. The Crusaders didn't either. They cherrypicked what they wanted and used those things to carry out acts of barbarity. Just as people are today.

Yes they were. The bible demands that Adulterers and gays be stoned to death. The Puritans used to do both.
The Puritans were assholes. The Bible commands nobody to be stoned to death today. It doesn't command anything. It's a book. Christians follow Jesus and his commandments we attend to.

The Puritans were assholes. The Bible commands nobody to be stoned to death today. It doesn't command anything. It's a book. Christians follow Jesus and his commandments we attend to.

And that's the beauty of religion. You can take a straight forward, clear as day commandment.....and straight up ignore if you want to by prioritizing another passage.

Which is why Christians don't kill gays anymore, despite that being the standard practice for the overwhelming majority of the history of their faith. And why Christians will continue to 'reinterpret' as they keep giving ground to gays.

And that's the beauty of religion. You can take a straight forward, clear as day commandment.....and straight up ignore if you want to by prioritizing another passage.

Which is why Christians don't kill gays anymore, despite that being the standard practice for the overwhelming majority of the history of their faith. And why Christians will continue to 'reinterpret' as they keep giving ground to gays.
When are you going to start working on the Muslims?

And by 'we' - you mean some Christians.

I know many Christians who do reach out to sinners, and do really attempt to love their neighbors and their 'enemies'.
This has been a very personal struggle for me as a Christian with gay friends so I sympathize with those who aren't there yet. Jesus was even criticized by his own disciples for hanging out with sinners so there's nothing new about this conflict. Christians have never easily fraternized with people outside the faith, but those who truly follow Jesus do. They love who Jesus loves. That includes you.

Forum List

Back