The Quandary Christians Put Gays In

Christians used to kill gays, citing 'According to God himself'.

Well, they weren't doing it according to God's will nor what he stated in the Bible. The Crusaders didn't either. They cherrypicked what they wanted and used those things to carry out acts of barbarity. Just as people are today.

Yes they were. The bible demands that Adulterers and gays be stoned to death. The Puritans used to do both.
The Puritans were assholes. The Bible commands nobody to be stoned to death today. It doesn't command anything. It's a book. Christians follow Jesus and his commandments we attend to.

And that's the beauty of religion. You can take a straight forward, clear as day commandment.....and straight up ignore if you want to by prioritizing another passage.

And anyone can do the same. On any passage.

Which is why Christians don't kill gays anymore, despite that being the standard practice for the overwhelming majority of the history of their faith. And why Christians will continue to 'reinterpret' as they keep giving ground to gays.
You know not all Christians subscribe to the heresy of Sola Scriptura, right?

I personally have no problem with gays getting married anywhere they like. But it is wrong to say that Christians have put gays into any quandary. Christians have as much right to their beliefs as do gays. Why wouldn't gays want to get married where they are welcomed instead of where they aren't? I suspect they wouldn't have much of a welcome in a mosque either.
Christians are supposed to be the hands and feet of Christ, to reach out to sinners with his love. Instead we treat the ones Christ loves as bitter enemies. We build impregnable fortresses from which we banish all who are different and regard them as a besieging army. We are so loud in our contention against homosexuals that we've drowned out the quiet voice of our Lord saying to love them and invite them in.

And for that we should be ashamed.

And by 'we' - you mean some Christians.

I know many Christians who do reach out to sinners, and do really attempt to love their neighbors and their 'enemies'.
This has been a very personal struggle for me as a Christian with gay friends so I sympathize with those who aren't there yet. Jesus was even criticized by his own disciples for hanging out with sinners so there's nothing new about this conflict. Christians have never easily fraternized with people outside the faith, but those who truly follow Jesus do. They love who Jesus loves. That includes you.
Yes, Jesus hung out with sinners in order to save them. How many of your homo friends have you led to salvation through faith in Jesus?

I personally have no problem with gays getting married anywhere they like. But it is wrong to say that Christians have put gays into any quandary. Christians have as much right to their beliefs as do gays. Why wouldn't gays want to get married where they are welcomed instead of where they aren't? I suspect they wouldn't have much of a welcome in a mosque either.
Christians are supposed to be the hands and feet of Christ, to reach out to sinners with his love. Instead we treat the ones Christ loves as bitter enemies. We build impregnable fortresses from which we banish all who are different and regard them as a besieging army. We are so loud in our contention against homosexuals that we've drowned out the quiet voice of our Lord saying to love them and invite them in.

I know many Christians who do reach out to sinners, and do really attempt to love their neighbors and their 'enemies'.
This has been a very personal struggle for me as a Christian with gay friends so I sympathize with those who aren't there yet. Jesus was even criticized by his own disciples for hanging out with sinners so there's nothing new about this conflict. Christians have never easily fraternized with people outside the faith, but those who truly follow Jesus do. They love who Jesus loves. That includes you.
Yes, Jesus hung out with sinners in order to save them. How many of your homo friends have you led to salvation through faith in Jesus?
I've led a lot of people to Christ. I don't know how many of them were homosexual, that seems to be something you're obsessed with, which is unseemly since all are sinners in need of God's saving grace. You really think you're better than them. According to God, you are not.

"The Slavery argument died, in the Supreme Court, six decades ago. You are being paid to provide a service, to all comers, so do that and we'll all get along like happy clams..."

If that were true it would also be illegal to refuse service to people who didn't happen to be wearing clothes.
Nope, because reasonable people can understand the problem there but if you run a nudie restaurant and won't serve nudie gays, now you have a problem. Stop being a child.
Is there a restaurant anywhere that checks people's sexual orientation at the door or is this yet another Leftist movie you run in your Leftist head?

I've led a lot of people to Christ. I don't know how many of them were homosexual, that seems to be something you're obsessed with, which is unseemly since all are sinners in need of God's saving grace. You really think you're better than them. According to God, you are not.
According to God I am better. The bible says so. Do you believe a practicing homosexual shall inherit the kingdom of God?

So the founders got it wrong.....but you got it right?

You said so yourself, that "the founders killed gays, but Christians today don't." Or, "I'm right, the Founders are wrong." So yes, they did get it wrong. And what of yourself? Do you believe you're correct also? We got it right by learning not summarily execute gays for being gay. Yes, I did get it right. If God makes his will clear, in stated text, then the issue for me is not debatable. Marriage is between a man and a woman.

You're kinda demonstrating my point here. And that's limiting ourselves to one faith in a very similar cultural and historical tradition as your own, using essentially identical text.

If I go to the microwave and make a bag of popcorn according to some random interpretation of the stated instructions on the bag, I may burn the popcorn. If I follow the instructions to the letter, I'm sitting comfortably with a bag of Pop Secret watching cat videos on YouTube. I admit that I am a little too absolute with my interpretation of the Bible, but there are things in the Bible that don't need to be interpreted. It's views, God's view, that marriage is between a man and a woman is one of these things. Not negotiable.

If we venture even slightly outside this, things get even muddier. And when we start working between religions, muddier still.

What is the implication here? That we mold ourselves to be as acceptable as other religions are to gay marriage? To make ourselves more "acceptable" to others and not to God?

For example....why aren't modern Christians killing gays as the Bible commands?

You are citing Leviticus 20, or part of the Mosaic Laws. Some of the old laws in the Old Testament were only meant to be temporary, others permanent. The 613 Mosaic Laws consisted of the ceremonial, the civil, and the moral law.

The ceremonial law applied only to the worship practices of the Israelites. Jesus rendered those ceremonial laws unnecessary by coming to fulfill them. He didn't abolish them, he made them unnecessary. The principles behind the ceremonial law are still applicable to us today, that is, the principles of worshiping and serving a holy God.

The civil law governed the everyday living of the Israelites. These laws served as a means to separate, to distinguish the Jews from the Gentiles, while providing the Gentiles with an example of how a holy people must live and behave. When Christ came to fulfill the law, he eliminated the distinction between Jew and Gentile, and held all of them accountable under the civil law, minus the death penalty.

The moral law is that which consists of the Ten Commandments which we are still bound to, as they serve as a basis for our holy living. These commandments are rather straight forward.

God held only Israel accountable for breaking the law, as stated in Leviticus 18:24-30. Meaning, apropos to the wider implications of your argument, that gays aren't supposed to be killed for their...how can I put this politely...way of life. The rest of the laws are still applicable, in some sort of way, none of which consists of killing people for breaking Old Testament law. The Bible says homosexuality is sinful, and it punished the Gentiles for engaging in it. In Romans 6:23, it offers a chance of redemption, an offer of forgiveness from God, through Jesus in order to be spared the death that they, as all sinners, would rightfully deserve in the eyes of God.

"Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ."

Galatians 3:23-27

So, why do we not kill gays for being gay? We just don't. Not anymore, nor should we have ever. Jesus paid the death penalty for all the breaches of the old law, and replaced the death penalty with an offer of forgiveness. There's no need to kill someone on the spot anymore for committing a sin against God. They need only ask for forgiveness. This proves that the Founders were wrong, and did not acknowledge the forgiveness that could be imparted by the grace of God. To be a little blunt, they didn't read the entire Bible.

'Him shall ye kill' is pretty straight forward.

According to your interpretation. But like I said just earlier, that death penalty was annulled, paid for by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Yet you've found other passages elsewhere that you believe override the clear language of the Bible and relieve of the obligation to follow a very clear commandment.

No, I just considered their verses in the context they were written. And the context provided elsewhere by the Bible. I'm not picking and choosing, Skylar, for I do acknowledge the impact of the Old Law on our daily living. But that not all of it applies to us today.

But as I noted, you've found other passages in the bible that allow you to completely ignore that clear commandment.

And likewise, you pick one passage and ignore what the rest of the Bible says about it. I'm going to skip the whole part about double standards, because like you said here:

You can make the same mistake also.

According to God I am better. The bible says so. Do you believe a practicing homosexual shall inherit the kingdom of God?
I think that homosexuals are closer to the kingdom of God than you are. You talk precisely like the very pharisees who crucified the Son of God because they thought themselves righteous and didn't like someone pointing out their sin.

Fear for your own salvation, O haughty one.

I am getting more and more curious who wrote your Bible and what color crayon that they wrote it in?

Here's a touching video of bigots coming out of the closet.

My favorite coming out line: "Pretty scary, you know? You wonder, 'How many people can I really truly, honestly be open with?'"

Not Alone - YouTube

Oh, bullcrap. It's perfectly okay for Christians to believe marriage is a male and female and that homosexual marriage is wrong. Jesus Christ would tell the homosexual the same thing he told others, "Go, and sin no more."

Absolutely! It is perfectly okay for you to think that and tell all your friends that you think that.

Where ya'll run afoul is when you try to legislate those beliefs.
Nope. Legislation is allowed unless it violates the Constitution.

And legislation based on religious texts likely would.

I'm aware that prohibitions on murder exist in the Koran and the Bible. That doesn't equate to our laws being based on those.

Are you okay with Sharia law in the USA?

What Sharia law in the United States?

Sharia law as it pertains to American laws is unconstitutional.

Christians used to kill gays, citing 'According to God himself'.

Well, they weren't doing it according to God's will nor what he stated in the Bible. The Crusaders didn't either. They cherrypicked what they wanted and used those things to carry out acts of barbarity. Just as people are today.

Yes they were. The bible demands that Adulterers and gays be stoned to death. The Puritans used to do both.
The Puritans were assholes. The Bible commands nobody to be stoned to death today. It doesn't command anything. It's a book. Christians follow Jesus and his commandments we attend to.

And that's the beauty of religion. You can take a straight forward, clear as day commandment.....and straight up ignore if you want to by prioritizing another passage.

Which is why Christians don't kill gays anymore, despite that being the standard practice for the overwhelming majority of the history of their faith. And why Christians will continue to 'reinterpret' as they keep giving ground to gays.

Wow, so you are basically saying that the very base of Protestantism is heretical? Just a minute. I resent that label greatly. I ask that you explain what you mean by "heresy." There is no need for such a genetic argument. I mean, I've seen enough genetic fallacies in the past few pages to fill a binder.

Oh, bullcrap. It's perfectly okay for Christians to believe marriage is a male and female and that homosexual marriage is wrong. Jesus Christ would tell the homosexual the same thing he told others, "Go, and sin no more."

Absolutely! It is perfectly okay for you to think that and tell all your friends that you think that.

I'm aware that prohibitions on murder exist in the Koran and the Bible. That doesn't equate to our laws being based on those.

Of any religion...

I think that homosexuals are closer to the kingdom of God than you are. You talk precisely like the very pharisees who crucified the Son of God because they thought themselves righteous and didn't like someone pointing out their sin.

Doesn't matter what you think. What matters is scripture. If you don't believe the Scriptures, you're the one in trouble, not me. First Corinthians chapter six is very clear about practicing drunks, idolaters, thieves, slanderers, and homosexuals not inheriting the kingdom of God. "Practice" is the key word.

Last edited:

Wow, so you are basically saying that the very base of Protestantism is heretical? Just a minute. I resent that label greatly. I ask that you explain what you mean by "heresy." There is no need for such a genetic argument. I mean, I've seen enough genetic fallacies in the past few pages to fill a binder.
The Bible itself undermines Sola Scriptura. It records Christians changing the Sabbath and doing away with circumcision. The message could not be any more clear that the Christian Church in Acts followed the Holy Spirit, not a book.

Yes, the very base of Protestantism is heretical, and all the errors of Protestants stem from it.

Muslims in parts of America are demanding Sharia law and you're not aware? Funny and sad.

The Bible itself undermines Sola Scriptura. It records Christians changing the Sabbath and doing away with circumcision. The message could not be any more clear that the Christian Church in Acts followed the Holy Spirit, not a book.

Yes, the very base of Protestantism is heretical, and all the errors of Protestants stem from it.

Do you believe the New Testament is the Word of God?

Doesn't matter what you think. What matters is scripture. If you don't believe the Scriptures, you're the one in trouble, not me. First Corinthians chapter six is very clear about practicing drunks, idolaters, thieves, slanderers, and homosexuals not inheriting the kingdom of God. "Practice" is the key word.
Wow, just one verse contains the key to salvation? So I guess you're safe if you fornicate or lust after women because the only passage that pertains to salvation didn't mention your particular sins.

Do you believe the New Testament is the Word of God?
Do you believe in gravity? I'm not jumping through your hoops, skid mark.

Forum List

Back