The preschool money pit doing more harm than good

There's very little more important than education. ;) It is never a money pit...

Of course, the goat fucking loserterians would think such is.

It makes sense that pushing too hard to early can cause problems down the line.

If the changes discussed in the article are costing to much money AND cause WORSE outcomes, than money pit is a fair judgement, though not the important one.

...... having a population that does not speak English as their first language is the major factor and a general disdain for education in minority families is a strong secondary factor.

Ignorant BS post.

How so? How do you teach a classroom of middle students with an extensive English vocabulary of maybe 5 words? Most of my students had been in the US less than a year.

If that is really such a mystery to you then you shouldn't be teaching them.

I'm sorry! I do not speak 15 different languages. Perhaps you do. If so, and you are not a teacher, why not?

If you really have no idea how to teach ELLs, why would you be doing it?

There's very little more important than education. ;) It is never a money pit...

The countries against which our K-12 schools are so often compared unfavorably tend to push a lot harder very early on.

The entire school system is a money pit. We spend more per child than any other nation in the world (except Sweden) and testing scores compared to other advanced nations are atrocious.

Take the minority students out of the data and we do just as well as the other top-performing countries. having a population that does not speak English as their first language is the major factor and a general disdain for education in minority families is a strong secondary factor.
The Asian kids beat the white kids at scores...

They are the well-known exception because of the family structure and strong cultural belief in education that is lacking in other minority groups.

My middle school had no Asian students from the developed nations. We did have a large group of kids from the jungles of Burma that we could not even find some one to act as a translator. Try teaching under those conditions.

I do everyday. If you can't, don't.

The countries against which our K-12 schools are so often compared unfavorably tend to push a lot harder very early on.

Is that WHY they do so well?

Or is it DESPITE that?

Because initial information from the OP seems to be showing that it is counterproductive.

Or is it DESPITE that?

Because initial information from the OP seems to be showing that it is counterproductive.

Consider sources, and the finality of outcomes.

The entire school system is a money pit. We spend more per child than any other nation in the world (except Sweden) and testing scores compared to other advanced nations are atrocious.

Take the minority students out of the data and we do just as well as the other top-performing countries. having a population that does not speak English as their first language is the major factor and a general disdain for education in minority families is a strong secondary factor.
The Asian kids beat the white kids at scores...

The...strong cultural belief in education that is lacking in other minority groups.

Which ones?

Or is it DESPITE that?

I'M not sure what you mean by that.

I consider the high rate of illegitimacy and the fact that I don't want to have to ruin my child's childhood so she can supposedly be "competitive".

We were not torturing our young when we put a Man on the Moon. We don't need to now.

Or is it DESPITE that?

I consider the high rate of illegitimacy and the fact that I don't want to have to ruin my child's childhood so she can supposedly be "competitive".

"Ruin"? Learning to read and write, establishing a familiarity with the educational process is 'ruining'?

Or is it DESPITE that?

We were not torturing our young when we put a Man on the Moon.

No? Do you think school was more or less demanding then? Do you think those men who first set foot on the moon were the best and brightest, the highest achievers of their day or not?

Or is it DESPITE that?

"Ruin"? Learning to read and write, establishing a familiarity with the educational process is 'ruining'?

Crushing workloads can.

Or is it DESPITE that?

We were not torturing our young when we put a Man on the Moon.

No? Do you think school was more or less demanding then? Do you think those men who first set foot on the moon were the best and brightest, the highest achievers of their day or not?

In some ways less. I bet the scientists who put that Man on the Moon didn't have Full Day Kindergarten for one example.

Or is it DESPITE that?

Crushing workloads can.

That kind of lazy-ass slacker attitude is why 'achievement' is lacking.

Or is it DESPITE that?

Crushing workloads can.

That kind of lazy-ass slacker attitude is why 'achievement' is lacking.

MOre is not always better.

In the recent past such efforts have had the air of incompetent teachers covering their asses, imo.

"How can this be my fault? I have increased homework by 50%!"

What is your opinion on the "No homework" movement?

....about the same as a bowel movement.

I've been hearing some good reports from teachers who have tried it. The idea is you have the students READ the material at home and then have them DO THE WORK at school where you can help them as needed.

How much homework do you think a 2cd grader should have a night?

I've been hearing some good reports from teachers who have tried it. The idea is you have the students READ the material at home and then have them DO THE WORK at school where you can help them as needed.

They can't be bothered with taking the book home with them, much less actually read it!

They can't be bothered with taking the book home with them, much less actually read it!

Lack of parental support is the prime cause of bad educational outcomes, normally found in single parent homes, because, let's face it one parent is going to be overwhelmed with her parenting duties to the point of not being able to do them all, at least not well.

I sent my son to a "no homework" HS, but they changed their minds immediately before the start of the school year.

The deal was, the kids were going to have two hours of organized work groups and study at the end of the school day, then leave at (approximately) 1700, finished for the day.

But the parents screamed about how that would kill extracurricular activities, and you know how that works out. Fuck education; sports rule!

I sent my son to a "no homework" HS, but they changed their minds immediately before the start of the school year.

The deal was, the kids were going to have two hours of organized work groups and study at the end of the school day, then leave at (approximately) 1700, finished for the day.

But the parents screamed about how that would kill extracurricular activities, and you know how that works out. Fuck education; sports rule!

How about 'fuck being lazy, do your damn homework and we'll keep the football team, the orchestra, and the math team'?

Forum List

Back