How have anti-evolution tactics evolved over time? They’ve gotten sneakier.

R

rdean

Phylogenetic analysis is a huge part of understanding evolution. These analyses are how we get the family trees that show us how different species descended from a common ancestor. Scientists use the DNA and physical traits of different living (and extinct!) things to figure out where they intersect, spinning the web that connects everything on the planet back to our single-celled ancestors.

For his latest study, Matzke swapped out genomes and morphological traits with text from legislative proposals designed to keep evolution out of schools and let creationism in. While creationism has taken on many pseudoscientific overtones to sneak its way into public schools, the school of thought is purely religious in motivation. The efforts to push creationism as a valid alternative to evolutionary biology can be traced back almost a century, when teaching evolution was banned, but Matzke analyzed only the 65 bills proposed in the past decade.

Many of these bills are basically copied from one state to another, making it easy to analyze the slow shifts in language and tactics.

"They are not terribly intelligently designed," he said in a statement.

98 percent of scientists connected to the American Association for the Advancement of Science say they believe that humans evolved over time, only 66 percent of Americans surveyed by Pew believe that science has reached a consensus on the issue. Nearly a third of Americans reject evolution entirely, and around half of those who accept it as good science still believe that a higher power played a part in the process.

Debunking the myth that evolution can’t explain eyeballs

Whoops! A creationist museum supporter stumbled upon a major fossil find.

Newly discovered fossil could prove a problem for creationists

New study reaffirms the link between conservative religious faith and climate change doubt

1) Theories of Evolution have nothing to do with how life originated.

2) No scientific evidence exists of any cross-genus evolution.

3) Unless you believe in supernatural fantasy, the physical universe and life is the product of creation.

3) Unless you believe in supernatural fantasy, the physical universe and life is the product of creation.
Is Creation "supernatural fantasy"? :dunno:

I think what rdeadbrain is pointing out here is that the immeasurable and unquantifiable event that some describe as "Creation" has morphed into a Biblical morass that is infiltrating our educational institutions and replacing the teaching of science with the teaching of religion.

And as much as I dislike the deadbrain, I'll agree with him here.

P.S. Fuck you rdean :fu:

:lol:

Homo sapiens, residing on an infinitesimal speck among a vast infinity of stars have taken it upon themselves to not only interpret Creation to be of their own likeness but they have taken it to such a level as to contort it into religion. Religion being the human-contrived interpretation of the unknown.

I am one to ascribe to what is known- mathematics, physics, biology, chemistry, geometry, algebra, calculus, polynomials, differential equations, functional equations.

As a substitute teacher, I was once confronted by a fourth grader who insisted that the earth was a mere 6,000 years old.

I simply didn't go there.

Do the math. Religion is illusion. Quantitative analysis is reality.

Republicans think scientists are stupid because they haven't figured out everything. But the gulf between what Republicans imagine and what Scientists know is staggering.

Republicans think scientists are stupid because they haven't figured out everything. But the gulf between what Republicans imagine and what Scientists know is staggering.

If those scientists are so smart, why haven't any of them been able to show me an actual photo of my grandfather they claim I evolved from 20,000 generations ago? I need the actual photo. Until they can provide that, they imagine whatever they claim.

Phylogenetic analysis is a huge part of understanding evolution. These analyses are how we get the family trees that show us how different species descended from a common ancestor. Scientists use the DNA and physical traits of different living (and extinct!) things to figure out where they intersect, spinning the web that connects everything on the planet back to our single-celled ancestors.

For his latest study, Matzke swapped out genomes and morphological traits with text from legislative proposals designed to keep evolution out of schools and let creationism in. While creationism has taken on many pseudoscientific overtones to sneak its way into public schools, the school of thought is purely religious in motivation. The efforts to push creationism as a valid alternative to evolutionary biology can be traced back almost a century, when teaching evolution was banned, but Matzke analyzed only the 65 bills proposed in the past decade.

Many of these bills are basically copied from one state to another, making it easy to analyze the slow shifts in language and tactics.

"They are not terribly intelligently designed," he said in a statement.

98 percent of scientists connected to the American Association for the Advancement of Science say they believe that humans evolved over time, only 66 percent of Americans surveyed by Pew believe that science has reached a consensus on the issue. Nearly a third of Americans reject evolution entirely, and around half of those who accept it as good science still believe that a higher power played a part in the process.

Debunking the myth that evolution can’t explain eyeballs

Whoops! A creationist museum supporter stumbled upon a major fossil find.

Newly discovered fossil could prove a problem for creationists

New study reaffirms the link between conservative religious faith and climate change doubt

This is what we have learned about conservatives over the last 25 years.

Once their view of something starts to lose in the public square they start lying. And they attempt to cover up those lies with vagueness and innuendo, but it is just lying.

If those scientists are so smart, why haven't any of them been able to show me an actual photo of my grandfather they claim I evolved from 20,000 generations ago? I need the actual photo. Until they can provide that, they imagine whatever they claim.

Ha! I get it! Using such a ridiculous argument you satirically make a funny parody of creationist anti-science arguments. Good one!

Right?

Ha! I get it! Using such a ridiculous argument you satirically make a funny parody of creationist anti-science arguments. Good one!

Right?

Then you must find those anti-religion people arguing from the same line when they ask for the same type of proof that God exists. You don't find it ridiculous when they do it? Didn't think so from the double standard crowd.

1) Theories of Evolution have nothing to do with how life originated.

2) No scientific evidence exists of any cross-genus evolution.

Dean is proof against evolution, he's been posting the EXACT same stupid shit since the day he got here

Last edited:

Right?

Then you must find those anti-religion people arguing from the same line when they ask for the same type of proof that God exists. You don't find it ridiculous when they do it? Didn't think so from the double standard crowd.

I do find such anti-religious arguments ridiculous.

Tu quoque fallacy.

Right?

Tu quoque fallacy.

You would be one of the few. I've found that the anti-religious crowd that call my line of arguing ridiculous use the same line. More than a few times, I've been asked to provide a type of proof the one asking knew couldn't be provided then discounted my beliefs because I couldn't provide it. However, when I asked for a type of proof I knew couldn't be provided and discounted theirs when they couldn't provide it, their outlook was that of the typical double standard.

Right?

Tu quoque fallacy.

You would be one of the few. I've found that the anti-religious crowd that call my line of arguing ridiculous use the same line. More than a few times, I've been asked to provide a type of proof the one asking knew couldn't be provided then discounted my beliefs because I couldn't provide it. However, when I asked for a type of proof I knew couldn't be provided and discounted theirs when they couldn't provide it, their outlook was that of the typical double standard.

That's because, in one way or another, everyone is an idiot, no matter their systems of belief or apparent intelligence.

Why is everything with you broken down into Republican and Democrat? It's as if you don't understand the whole world are not partisan hacks like you. People have different ways of thinking and their thoughts are not couched in what political party they support... generally speaking.

I would argue that Scientists don't "KNOW" anything. It's impossible to KNOW. All we can do is BELIEVE we know. How many examples do I need to give for things that we surely thought we KNEW but turned out, we didn't KNOW? Science gets things wrong all the time... in fact, that's kind of the point OF science, to explore possibilities. Whenever you believe Science has solved a riddle or answered a question.. that very moment of conclusion is when you abandoned Science and adopted FAITH. You now have a FAITH in something and are not practicing the Scientific Method any longer. Science simply can't do anything with Conclusion.

A "photo" from 20,000 generations ago???? OK, you're a stupid shit. We cal all agree on that.

Why is everything with you broken down into Republican and Democrat? It's as if you don't understand the whole world are not partisan hacks like you. People have different ways of thinking and their thoughts are not couched in what political party they support... generally speaking.

I would argue that Scientists don't "KNOW" anything. It's impossible to KNOW. All we can do is BELIEVE we know. How many examples do I need to give for things that we surely thought we KNEW but turned out, we didn't KNOW? Science gets things wrong all the time... in fact, that's kind of the point OF science, to explore possibilities. Whenever you believe Science has solved a riddle or answered a question.. that very moment of conclusion is when you abandoned Science and adopted FAITH. You now have a FAITH in something and are not practicing the Scientific Method any longer. Science simply can't do anything with Conclusion.
Because Republicans are 90% white and mostly Christian who wants to teach magical creation in public schools. They want their children to be tards. Got it?

528-54.gif

Section 4: Scientists, Politics and Religion

U.S. Lags World in Grasp of Genetics and Acceptance of Evolution

A comparison of peoples' views in 34 countries finds that the United States ranks near the bottom when it comes to public acceptance of evolution. Only Turkey ranked lower.

Among the factors contributing to America's low score are poor understanding of biology, especially genetics, the politicization of science and the literal interpretation of the Bible by a small but vocal group of American Christians, the researchers say.

“American Protestantism is more fundamentalist than anybody except perhaps the Islamic fundamentalist, which is why Turkey and we are so close,” said study co-author Jon Miller of Michigan State University.

-------------

Wow, we are almost as stupid as Turkey.

Remind me again what it is that Democrats "know" about hydraulic fracturing as opposed to what science has proven. :slap:

Tard-o-maniac.

Because Republicans are 90% white and mostly Christian who wants to teach magical creation in public schools. They want their children to be tards. Got it?

528-54.gif

Section 4: Scientists, Politics and Religion

U.S. Lags World in Grasp of Genetics and Acceptance of Evolution

A comparison of peoples' views in 34 countries finds that the United States ranks near the bottom when it comes to public acceptance of evolution. Only Turkey ranked lower.

Among the factors contributing to America's low score are poor understanding of biology, especially genetics, the politicization of science and the literal interpretation of the Bible by a small but vocal group of American Christians, the researchers say.

“American Protestantism is more fundamentalist than anybody except perhaps the Islamic fundamentalist, which is why Turkey and we are so close,” said study co-author Jon Miller of Michigan State University.

-------------

Wow, we are almost as stupid as Turkey.

Ahh... So this all boils down to your desire to teach your "Religion of Science" to the kids? That is, this stupidity that Science is some sort of immutable truth that cannot be challenged. Well guess what? Not everyone believes in YOUR religion. Some of us believe Science is the study of questioning and challenging what we think we know. It's not some sort of weapon we use to destroy Christian religion. Evolution does not explain ORIGIN of anything. We don't even have proof that evolution is correct.... but if Darwin was 100% right (he's not) it still doesn't have a damn thing to do with how life originated. THAT theory is very much open for debate and has not been determined. Among numerous competing theories is the theory life was created by an intelligent designer. You may disagree with that theory and that is fine, but to insist we cannot teach it IS one of the theories to kids studying this in school is outrageous. Since when do we censor knowledge and think that is good? Oh yeah... when we want to indoctrinate and brainwash people into a single monolithic view. No thanks!

I don't want kids being proselytized to in schools but that includes YOUR proselytizing as well. I want them to be given ALL the information in an objective and non-biased way and they can make their own minds up as to what they believe. Perhaps one of those kids will grow up to answer the question of how life originated by challenging what we think we know?

As for your stats about Scientists being democrats... Does it not register to you that most of them depend on government grants from Democrats? They're another one of the little pet special interest groups getting a piece of the $1.6 trillion deficit every year so they will keep your idiotic party relevant. Most of our national debt problem can be fixed by eliminating Democrat extortion money being paid out to keep groups loyal and beholden to Democrats.

Forum List

Back