The preschool money pit doing more harm than good

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
The New Preschool Is Crushing Kids
Today’s young children are working more, but they’re learning less.
That’s right. The same educational policies that are pushing academic goals down to ever earlier levels seem to be contributing to—while at the same time obscuring—the fact that young children are gaining fewer skills, not more.
How the New Preschool Is Crushing Kids

Can we start cutting things that have demonstrated no value......

That’s right. The same educational policies that are pushing academic goals down to ever earlier levels seem to be contributing to—while at the same time obscuring—the fact that young children are gaining fewer skills, not more.

I agree with my mother.We no longer allow children the time to be children. And she was talking in general, not 4yr olds.

I agree with my mother.We no longer allow children the time to be children. .....

Of course we do. It's called college.

The entire school system is a money pit. We spend more per child than any other nation in the world (except Sweden) and testing scores compared to other advanced nations are atrocious.

The entire school system is a money pit. We spend more per child than any other nation in the world (except Sweden) and testing scores compared to other advanced nations are atrocious.

Take the minority students out of the data and we do just as well as the other top-performing countries. having a population that does not speak English as their first language is the major factor and a general disdain for education in minority families is a strong secondary factor.

...... having a population that does not speak English as their first language is the major factor and a general disdain for education in minority families is a strong secondary factor.

Ignorant BS post.

How so? How do you teach a classroom of middle students with an extensive English vocabulary of maybe 5 words? Most of my students had been in the US less than a year. I taught in an inner city middle school where about the only students who succeeded academically were Cuban immigrants from two-parent families.

Those examples are anecdotal but they are also backed up by educational statistics that no one wants to mention. I have worked in several schools with different demographics and the story is always the same. I can tell you the grade my student will make within about one class period after they enter my classroom.

...... having a population that does not speak English as their first language is the major factor and a general disdain for education in minority families is a strong secondary factor.

Ignorant BS post.

How so? How do you teach a classroom of middle students with an extensive English vocabulary of maybe 5 words? Most of my students had been in the US less than a year. I taught in an inner city middle school where about the only students who succeeded academically were Cuban immigrants from two-parent families.

Those examples are anecdotal but they are also backed up by educational statistics that no one wants to mention. I have worked in several schools with different demographics and the story is always the same.

I can tell you the grade my student will make within about one class period after they enter my classroom.

Then you suck.

In a rational world, before spending a mountain of money on a new educational program (universal pre-school) studies would be done to measure the efficacy of the program - does it work?

In the case of pre-school, it does not work. Whether you are talking about Operation Head Start or suburban families sending their kids to expensive pre-schools, the academic difference between those who had pre-school and those who didn't disappears within the first couple years of grammar school. (When my son entered Kindergarten, the principal assured us that the difference would be gone by December of that year).

But it has what are often referred to as "ancillary benefits", mainly:

"Free" babysitting,
Assuages guilt of working moms who would rather be at home watching their kids,
Provides jobs for thousands of otherwise unemployable women,
One more reason for poor folks to vote Democrat.

And for these ancillary benefits, the Democrat party is willing to go to war to promote "Universal Pre-K" by the turn of this decade. And anyone who opposes it (because, for example, IT DOESN'T WORK!) will be branded "anti-Education," a Troglodyte or will be slandered otherwise.

Democrats are liars and swine.

There's very little more important than education. ;) It is never a money pit...

Of course, the goat fucking loserterians would think such is.

Maybe true for formal education which preschool is NOT!!! Give it up. All preschool is for is to fill the gap parents failed to do before their little ones were ready for kindergarten.

Ignorant BS post.

Those examples are anecdotal but they are also backed up by educational statistics that no one wants to mention. I have worked in several schools with different demographics and the story is always the same.

I can tell you the grade my student will make within about one class period after they enter my classroom.

Then you suck.

Great response! You can't formulate an answer so you act like a douchebag! Got it!

Ignorant BS post.

Then you suck.

Great response! You can't formulate an answer ....t!

That was the answer.

Ignorant BS post.

How so? How do you teach a classroom of middle students with an extensive English vocabulary of maybe 5 words? Most of my students had been in the US less than a year.

If that is really such a mystery to you then you shouldn't be teaching them.

Take the minority students out of the data and we do just as well as the other top-performing countries. having a population that does not speak English as their first language is the major factor and a general disdain for education in minority families is a strong secondary factor.
The Asian kids beat the white kids at scores...

Ignorant BS post.

How so? How do you teach a classroom of middle students with an extensive English vocabulary of maybe 5 words? Most of my students had been in the US less than a year.

If that is really such a mystery to you then you shouldn't be teaching them.

I'm sorry! I do not speak 15 different languages. Perhaps you do. If so, and you are not a teacher, why not?

They are the well-known exception because of the family structure and strong cultural belief in education that is lacking in other minority groups.

My middle school had no Asian students from the developed nations. We did have a large group of kids from the jungles of Burma that we could not even find some one to act as a translator. Try teaching under those conditions.

They are the well-known exception because of the family structure and strong cultural belief in education that is lacking in other minority groups.

My middle school had no Asian students from the developed nations. We did have a large group of kids from the jungles of Burma that we could not even find some one to act as a translator. Try teaching under those conditions.
Hell, I paid white men to work and learn and they still couldn't/wouldn't do it...

This is some very alarming information.

When we selected a Pres-school program our goals were to address Separation Anxiety and for her to have fun.

I recall being fairly pissed off about the fact that only Full Day Kindergarten was available.

I considered it uncalled for.

Forum List

Back