And thereby hangs my moral tale.

The trail was taken up next day,
By a lone dog that passed that way;

And then a wise bell-wether sheep
Pursued the trail o'er vale and steep,

And drew the flock behind him, too,
As good bell-wethers always do.

And from that day, o'er hill and glade.
Through those old woods a path was made.

III.

And many men wound in and out,
And dodged, and turned, and bent about,

And uttered words of righteous wrath,
Because 'twas such a crooked path;

But still they followed—do not laugh—
The first migrations of that calf,

And through this winding wood-way stalked
Because he wobbled when he walked.

IV.

This forest path became a lane,
that bent and turned and turned again;

This crooked lane became a road,
Where many a poor horse with his load

Toiled on beneath the burning sun,
And traveled some three miles in one.

And thus a century and a half
They trod the footsteps of that calf.

V.

The years passed on in swiftness fleet,
The road became a village street;

And this, before men were aware,
A city's crowded thoroughfare.

And soon the central street was this
Of a renowned metropolis;

And men two centuries and a half,
Trod in the footsteps of that calf.

VI.

Each day a hundred thousand rout
Followed the zigzag calf about

And o'er his crooked journey went
The traffic of a continent.

A Hundred thousand men were led,
By one calf near three centuries dead.

They followed still his crooked way,
And lost one hundred years a day;

For thus such reverence is lent,
To well established precedent.

VII.

A moral lesson this might teach
Were I ordained and called to preach;

For men are prone to go it blind
Along the calf-paths of the mind,

And work away from sun to sun,
To do what other men have done.

They follow in the beaten track,
And out and in, and forth and back,

And still their devious course pursue,
To keep the path that others do.

They keep the path a sacred groove,
Along which all their lives they move.

But how the wise old wood gods laugh,
Who saw the first primeval calf.

Ah, many things this tale might teach—
But I am not ordained to preach.

Perhaps if the poet were "ordained," he might have been heard. At least by a few.

But tradition is hard to shake. Nearly impossible among Christians. The pastor/priest has become the mainstay, anchor, and shoulder of the modern church. People lean in to hear their pastor more earnestly than they do for the Scriptures themselves.

Yep. Think about it. Weekly, or sometimes twice weekly or even more frequently, believers listen to their pastors and other leaders and take notes. Three days later, ask them what the sermon was about, and they can't recall, but nonetheless they hang on the pastor's every word.

How much time each week do they spend reading scripture?

Now look where the church is. Factions here and factions there. A path completely different than the trail hewn by the first Christians.

I prefer personal opinions to lengthy quotations. Traditions contribute to personal comfort and societal continuity, but they should not be confused with immutable facts or logic. For example, the Bible was created 300 years after Jesus' death. Aside from the Gospels, which purport to quote His own words, spending a certain amount of time each week reading the rest of the Scriptures is more ritualistic than enlightening.

What is the Christian Path?

Thou shalt not kill.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, might, mind and strength.
Thou shalt not covet that which is another's.
Thou shalt honor thy father and thy mother.
Do unto others and you would have them do unto you.
etc. etc.

I don't find this path to be crooked at all. Strait is the gate and narrow is the way.

Some traditions are noble in their intent and make sense. Others should never have been enacted to begin with. We should each choose what makes sense for us with the realization of what is needed to get into heaven. I hope to see you there (and vice versa).

Some traditions are noble in their intent and make sense. Others should never have been enacted to begin with. We should each choose what makes sense for us with the realization of what is needed to get into heaven. I hope to see you there (and vice versa).
What makes sense for us doesn't always make sense for others. So, which traditions should be enacted? The one's you choose? For instance, Sue doesn't believe in the tradition of baptism for entrance into heaven. Baptism is a saving ordinance written in the Bible. Without it, no one can enter the kingdom of God. Now, what kind of baptism of water? Emerision or sprinkling of a baby? The Catholic Church teaches that if a tradition is done for 50 years with no objection, it can become doctrine. But, in order to make sprinkling of a baby doctrine, the meaning of baptism would have to change. Baptism in the Bible is for the remission of sins for entrance into God's kingdom. But, that had to be changed because anyone knows a baby cannot sin. So, to them, it's no longer for the remission of sins but just acceptance into the Kingdom of God.

Baptism in the Bible is for the remission of sins for entrance into God's kingdom. But, that had to be changed because anyone knows a baby cannot sin. So, to them, it's no longer for the remission of sins but just acceptance into the Kingdom of God.
Original sin...

Original sin...
We do not need baptism to overcome original sin. The atonement of Jesus Christ has covered the original sin and thus all mankind will overcome death and be resurrected whether they are good or evil. Thus we have the resurrection of the just and the resurrection of the unjust. We are only held accountable for our individual sins and not for Adam and Eve's sins. Baptism is for the remission of sins that only we are accountable for.

We do not need baptism to overcome original sin. The atonement of Jesus Christ has covered the original sin and thus all mankind will overcome death and be resurrected whether they are good or evil. Thus we have the resurrection of the just and the resurrection of the unjust. We are only held accountable for our individual sins and not for Adam and Eve's sins. Baptism is for the remission of sins that only we are accountable for.
If the belief is that Baptism is for the remission of sins that only we are accountable for, that is the argument for baptism on one's death bed.

The reason for baptism is for rejecting the disobedience to God Adam and Eve introduced to our earthly life and taking up the obedience to God Jesus embraced. These are two very different ways of living our lives, and our baptism unveils and presents our choice. We choose a life in Christ's redemption, in the Holy Spirit, and in accepting God's grace of salvation and sanctification. Immersed in this life, our sins are forgiven.

"Original sin," I assume is what began in the Garden of Eden. Creation forsook God, and throughout the their history as the Old Testament chronicles it, the Adamites/Israelites were a wayward and idolatrous people.

That isn't the Christians' sin. Nor the Buddhists' nor Muslims' nor anyone else's sin. It was the Israelites' sin.

Another example of the church's crooked path.

That isn't the Christians' sin. Nor the Buddhists' nor Muslims' nor anyone else's sin. It was the Israelites' sin.
The Israelites came well after the time of Adam and Eve. Well after Noah as well.

The debate ended because you argue sans any scripture.

Tell us, why would foreigners have to have been grafted onto Israel's tree if they were already Israel?
I am still puzzled why you broached the subject. My post explained Catholic thought/belief about baptism. Not Catholic? Doesn't pertain to you unless you are interested in how Catholics perceive baptism.

To me it is quite obvious not everyone is Catholic or even consider the Bible as their holy book.

1 Corinthians 15:22
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Christ overcame the original sin and all will be made alive.

Moses 6:53-54
53 And our father Adam spake unto the Lord, and said: Why is it that men must repent and be baptized in water? And the Lord said unto Adam: Behold I have forgiven thee thy transgression in the Garden of Eden.
54 Hence came the saying abroad among the people, that the Son of God hath atoned for original guilt, wherein the sins of the parents cannot be answered upon the heads of the children, for they are whole from the foundation of the world.

It would be unjust for God to hold all of Adam's posterity accountable for Adam's transgression. Baptism is for the remission of one's person sins since we are not accountable for other's sins. Jesus has already forgiven Adam for his transgression and thus resurrection from the dead is unto all, both the just and the unjust.

Forum List

Back