The Pledge Of Allegiance - Read It, Learn It, Live It

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
I Pledge Allegiance - I Promise to be faithful and true (Promise my loyalty)
to the flag - to the emblem that stands for and represents
of the United States - all 50 states, each of them individual, and individually
represented on the flag
of America - yet formed into a UNION of one Nation.
and to the Republic - And I also pledge my loyalty to the Government that
is itself a Republic, a form of government where the
PEOPLE are sovereign,
for which it stands - this government also being represented by the Flag
to which I promise loyalty.
one Nation under God - These 50 individual states are united as a single
Republic under the Divine providence of God, "our
most powerful resource" (according to the words of
President Eisenhower)
Indivisible - and can not be separated. (This part of the original
version of the pledge was written just 50 years after
the beginning of the Civil War and demonstrates the
unity sought in the years after that divisive period in
our history)
with Liberty - The people of this Nation being afforded the freedom
to pursue "life, liberty, and happiness",
and Justice - And each person entitled to be treated justly, fairly,
and according to proper law and principle,
for All. - And these principles afforded to EVERY AMERICAN,
regardless of race, religion, color, creed, or any other
criteria. Just as the flag represents 50 individual
states that can not be divided or separated, this
Nation represents millions of people who can not be
separated or divided.

----

There are some of you, based on your anti-war, anti-american, anti-government, posts, who should be ashamed of yourselves.

I never understood that part about invisibility.

And you know that the part about "under god" was not part of the original pledge. It was added later. So if we want to be retro we can skip that part.

nucular said:

And you know that the part about "under god" was not part of the original pledge. It was added later. So if we want to be retro we can skip that part.

Well your entitled to skip any part you are so inclined.

nucular said:

Original - October 11, 1892:

I pledge allegiance to my Flag,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

June 14, 1923 -

I pledge allegiance to my the
Flag of the United States,
one Nation indivisible,

June 14, 1924 -

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
one Nation indivisible,

The last change in the Pledge of Allegiance occurred on June 14 (Flag Day), 1954 when President Dwight D. Eisenhower approved adding the words "under God". As he authorized this change he said:

"In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource in peace and war."

Now tell me, what is wrong with "under God?" And don't give the lame, "if we want to be retro" excuse. I don't think you are old enough to know what retro is.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/hallofheroes/1st_floor/flag/1bfc_pledge.html

(same ref for my first post - just forgot to add the link)

I forget who it is that first recorded that, but have you ever heard it read on the radio? They play it here from time to time on one of the talk stations and the way it is read is soooo.... moving I guess. Just sends chills up your spine.

GotZoom said:
Now tell me, what is wrong with "under God?" And don't give the lame, "if we want to be retro" excuse. I don't think you are old enough to know what retro is.

Why are you so argumentative? You know very little about me, speculating about my age is ridiculous.

From your original post:

for All. - And these principles afforded to EVERY AMERICAN,
regardless of race, religion, color, creed, or any other
criteria. Just as the flag represents 50 individual
states that can not be divided or separated, this
Nation represents millions of people who can not be
separated or divided.

Forcing people who do not believe in God or who may believe in numerous gods or simply not be sure if the god they worship is the same one the pledge refers to, to pledge to a god undermines this principle. It's coercive. That's why I pointed out that part is optional. Everybody can pledge. Is that bad?
:slap:

nucular said:
Forcing people who do not believe in God or who may believe in numerous gods or simply not be sure if the god they worship is the same one the pledge refers to, to pledge to a god undermines this principle. It's coercive. That's why I pointed out that part is optional. Everybody can pledge. Is that bad?
I would think the god would refer to whichever god the one saying the pledge believes in. It doesn't say, "the Christian" God, the Muslim god, the Buddhist, Hindu, etc. god.... just god. That would apply if one considered themself god or Satan god, or a tree god.....

If they don't believe in a god, then just skip that part... fairly easy.

Now, having said that, I can kinda see where you are coming from....

freeandfun1 said:
I would think the god would refer to whichever god the one saying the pledge believes in. It doesn't say, "the Christian" God, the Muslim god, the Buddhist, Hindu, etc. god.... just god. That would apply if one considered themself god or Satan god, or a tree god.....

I can see why that might make the individual saying it feel good as they think about whichever god is meaningful to them. The Christian, Moslem and Jewish god are the same one according to a lot of people. Even Bush said those groups all worship the same god in different ways. Hindu gods can either be polytheistic, or their gods are all different attributes of a monotheistic god depending on how sophisticated the Hindu person in question is. While some Buddhists worship various gods or worship Buddha as a god, that is contrary to Buddhism, so they would not be comfortable saying under God. Most people can agree that the idea of God and Satan are not similar, so even if people are thinking of those two while saying the pledge obviously they are off on their own tangents. And of course atheists do not feel right about saying under God. Other parts of the pledge are more objective and can be interpreted pretty straightforwardly by anybody in the same or similar way. Ideas about God vary greatly.

freeandfun1 said:

I will add to this:

The reason for adding God is, as he said: "In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource in peace and war."

It does not mention what religion. It could be any religion.

But I also maintain this. If you are an American, and you love this country, what does it matter if you say "under God?" The fact that this is OUR Pledge of Allegiance to OUR country. Is it so difficult to say two words that, yeah, might not be ok in your book, were put there years ago to give recognition of our heritage?

Does it really hurt to say that?

nucular said:
The Christian, Moslem and Jewish god are the same one according to a lot of people.
According to a lot, yes. But not to me. A couple of reasons...

Muslims believe Jews should be killed...
Christians and Jews believe the Jews are God's chosen people...
Christians believe Christ is God and that only through him is salvation possible...

They all can't be worshipping the same God if they don't have the same basis in belief. Yes, Christians and Jews worship the same God. They just don't believe that Christ has yet walked the earth. That he is to come in the future... but their basis for their belief is the same. Islam really has nothing in common with Judaism or Christianity other than from a historical point of view (Ishmael).

freeandfun1 said:
According to a lot, yes. But not to me. A couple of reasons...

Muslims believe Jews should be killed...
Christians and Jews believe the Jews are God's chosen people...
Christians believe Christ is God and that only through him is salvation possible...

They all can't be worshipping the same God if they don't have the same basis in belief. Yes, Christians and Jews worship the same God. They just don't believe that Christ has yet walked the earth. That he is to come in the future... but their basis for their belief is the same. Islam really has nothing in common with Judaism or Christianity other than from a historical point of view (Ishmael).

Which shows that there can be some confusion about the "under God" part, whereas things like "one nation" or "to the flag" are pretty cut and dried. After all everybody agrees which flag we're talking about.
:usa:

I will ask again. What is the harm?

If professing your faith and loyalty to the country is important to you, what is the big deal to say those words?

Like you haven't ever done anything you didn't want to for someone you cared about.

Forum List

Back