The overreaction on tha MA election is astounding

I really think the outcome of Brown's election is likely to reverberate negatively among some Democrats regarding support for ObamaCare and other initiatives in Barry's agenda.

This was a stunning defeat. Losing the recent governor races in VA and NJ were bad, but they could plausibly rationalize them away, at least in their minds. But virtually no Democrat just a couple of short weeks ago could fathom losing a Senate seat in the bluest of blue states that was occupied by their liberal lion Teddy for nearly a half century and in whose legacy they've dedicated their health care scheme.

Now though they've been hit right between the eyes by a voters' revolt. And, some will be thinking, if it can happen in MA - to Teddy's old seat - it can happen anywhere. No one is safe if they continue to ignore the will of the people and support the insanity of Obama, Reid, Pelosi, et al. Look for some House and Senate support to start to wane and eventually abandon ObamaCare as it's currently construed. In fact, warnings are already being sounded. Evan Bayh got the ball rolling already last night:

"There’s going to be a tendency on the part of our people to be in denial about all this,” Bayh told ABC News, but “if you lose Massachusetts and that’s not a wake-up call, there’s no hope of waking up...Whenever you have just the furthest left elements of the Dem party attempting to impose their will on the rest of the country -- that's not going to work too well."

Obama and those who support his insanity have painted themselves into a very tight corner now, and their only hope is to change.

Bayh has a good point.... either they wake up or we have to make the tough decision to turn off life support and let them die. Still, it's what Obama's death panels would insist on. No point prolonging the life of a non-fully-functioning entity.

Expecting a politician to keep campaign promises?
How Niave. (sp?)

Political advertisements are specifically exempt from the truth in advertising law for a reason.

So, evidently, Bodey could not have meant it when she posted it?

By the way, many of us do expect elected politicians to honor their promises. To the extent they fail to live up to such promises, they can expect crticism, rebuke and perhaps a denial of our votes the next time around.

Not from Democrats to a democrat, most of the board democrats have already stated for the record they either never expected Obama to keep those promises or do not care now that he did not.

It was a historically significant victory which overturned a traditionally Democatic seat.

Does it signal a 2010 rout by the republicans? Perhaps not, but it was a wakeup call for the Dems

I agree....and I look forward to watching the newly elected Senator keep his campaign promises to the people of Massachusetts.
Just to satisfy My curiosity. Do you also look forward to Mr. Obama keeping his campaign promises?

Never got an answer from ms. bodecccca didya? :eusa_angel:

Thanks to the 60 vote fixation, and thanks to the media desperately trying to sensationalize every political event that occurs, and thanks to the fact that the right has adopted hysteria as part of their act,

the overreaction is inevitable.

Remember, this is the same crowd that said no big deal and good riddance when Arlen Specter LEFT the Republican party and effectively created the (mythical) 60 vote supermajority.

btw: As far as Republicans go, Brown is fairly moderate (despite what the Chokely ads tried to say about him :lol:). But regardless, it was still a huge upset and can rightly be called the vote heard round the country.

I'm one of those "independents" that voted for Obama... and Brown. :thup:

I'm actually feeling a little proud of the Massachusetts electorate today, and that's saying something.

and then some.

would you like some 5 layer dip? :D

Would you like to do the honors?

btw: As far as Republicans go, Brown is fairly moderate (despite what the Chokely ads tried to say about him :lol:). But regardless, it was still a huge upset and can rightly be called the vote heard round the country.

I'm actually feeling a little proud of the Massachusetts electorate today, and that's saying something.

and then some.

would you like some 5 layer dip? :D

Would you like to do the honors?

why don't you and i'll pile on as needed. or even as not needed.

i can't get the damn smile off my face.

I agree....and I look forward to watching the newly elected Senator keep his campaign promises to the people of Massachusetts.
Just to satisfy My curiosity. Do you also look forward to Mr. Obama keeping his campaign promises?

Never got an answer from ms. bodecccca didya? :eusa_angel:
Give it time. She may not even be online or hasn't seen it yet. I never worry about replies to questions in a place like this. Hell, I often forget to go back to threads I was active in. Usually because by the time I return, I have other things on My mind and get distracted by other issues on the forum.

Since it has been said that Mr. Brown is not exactly a standard bearer for Conservatism, the full results of this Massachusetts Miracle is not quite clear.

On the other hand, some implications DO seem to be pretty clear already.

The Health Care "bill" which WAS being cobbled together by the liberal Democratics is now in serious trouble. Yes; it is true, the Democrat "leadership" could decide to ignore the message that the majority of voters in Massachusetts just sent, and try to cram some version of that misguided "bill" through Congress (and by using any one of several possible parliamentary type techniques to get that accomplished). But if the innate common sense imposed on Congresscritters by the discipline of having to run for re-election works, the "leadership" might not be as able at this point to pull it off.

It is also pretty clear that the voters of EVEN a liberal Democrat dominated state like Massachusetts HAVE indeed sent a message.

Suddenly finding themselves one vote shy of a SuperMajority, the liberal Democratics are now confronted with the consequences of their leadership's appalling lack of concern with the will of the electorate. If you don't think there are consequences in what happened yesterday, you are deluding yourselves.

The message got sent and it has been received loud and clear by the folks in Washington who are obliged to pay attention to those things.

The Democrats never had a supermajority. That has been myth perpetuated by pretty much everyone from all quarters.

Brown is essentially a pro-choice John McCain.

The good news for Republicans is that he may get the party to realize that moving further to the right is NOT the formula for future success.

Take note that the usual suspects on the far right were not that actively involved with Brown - in contrast to the GOP debacle in NY23.

Thanks to the 60 vote fixation, and thanks to the media desperately trying to sensationalize every political event that occurs, and thanks to the fact that the right has adopted hysteria as part of their act,

the overreaction is inevitable.

Remember, this is the same crowd that said no big deal and good riddance when Arlen Specter LEFT the Republican party and effectively created the (mythical) 60 vote supermajority.

Most of my family that are still alive live in PA and according to them Spector is on his way to insignificance in Nov. We shall see.
I think the overreaction is actually underreaction, or at the very least missing the point.
Both parties need to go, and that sentiment is the most voiced opinion in the small western town I live in. If the Republicans think this is a 'victory' for their party and not an indication that they too will face the rath of the electorate in November, they are unreacting, missing the point, cherry-picking the data to support their facts.
All the incumbents should go, Most people I know hold this opinion. It doesn't matter if they have an r or a d after their names, they need to go.The real message is being missed by both sides as both sides spin the results to fit their plan.
Hopefully the time of career politicians and party 'place-holders' is over.
Hopefully this is the start of the voters taking our country back from corrupt self-serving pretenders supported by two corrupt worthless parties.
Not only are the republicans overreacting, they are missing the point.
I can hardly wait until November.

It was a historically significant victory which overturned a traditionally Democatic seat.

Does it signal a 2010 rout by the republicans? Perhaps not, but it was a wakeup call for the Dems

Not evidenced by the reaction in the press, on this board or amongst the leaders of the Democratic party. Like I said, it was just a fluke, keep doing what you are doing.
The Ds as led by Pres O are beyond arrogant. Sure, many Ds will work behind the scenes to change directions, and some out in the open like Congressman Weiner will speak up, but there is a real crunch at the present moment to make a workable decision. The Pres has to make that decision in the next couple of days to get ready for the State of the Union Message on the 27th. Then he will tell us what we need to know about where he is taking us and the D party.

Last edited:
It is very entertaining to observe.

I disagree. I have not seen the "official" results, but early estimates stated that Brown was victroious due to the Indepedent vote. This same Indepdent vote put Barack Obama into the White House. IF the early estimates are true, this COULD be a sign of things to come for the Democratic party, no?

Time will tell. it mostly depends on how the economy does in the next year or so.
Americans have a VERY short memory. And seem to love being programmed.
Now that you have seen the responses...by both the left and the right....I would like to know exactlyu what you meant when you said it was interesting to observe the "OVER-reaction" of the election results.

Or do you now see how you may have erred.

Just curious if you are a hack or one that is willing to admit when he (she) is wrong.

Since it has been said that Mr. Brown is not exactly a standard bearer for Conservatism, the full results of this Massachusetts Miracle is not quite clear.

This is a fair statement. This is less a victory for Conservatives as it is a victory for Independents. Folks that think there's an army of Conservative voters in Massachusets are insane. What happened is that independents turned on the Democratic nominee.

That in the end is more terrifying for the DNC than a clear cut Conservative victory. If independents are turning, even "safe" seats could end up in play.

The Health Care "bill" which WAS being cobbled together by the liberal Democratics is now in serious trouble. Yes; it is true, the Democrat "leadership" could decide to ignore the message that the majority of voters in Massachusetts just sent, and try to cram some version of that misguided "bill" through Congress (and by using any one of several possible parliamentary type techniques to get that accomplished). But if the innate common sense imposed on Congresscritters by the discipline of having to run for re-election works, the "leadership" might not be as able at this point to pull it off.

It ups the stakes. Reid can now tell Lieberman and the Blue Dogs that they have to vote for the bill right now or face being stripped of their committee memberships. For Lieberman, that could be the end. Without his influence to bring back pork to his home district he could be facing defeat in the next election.

It all comes down to how forcefully Reid wants to push this in the Senate. I think he could pass it quickly, but it would be ill advised at this point.

It is also pretty clear that the voters of EVEN a liberal Democrat dominated state like Massachusetts HAVE indeed sent a message.

That message being: You're losing the Independents.

The GOP lost the independents and found themselves out on their ear in 2006 and 2008. The DNC has to change or they'll be in deep trouble in 2010 and 2012.

Suddenly finding themselves one vote shy of a SuperMajority, the liberal Democratics are now confronted with the consequences of their leadership's appalling lack of concern with the will of the electorate. If you don't think there are consequences in what happened yesterday, you are deluding yourselves.

The message got sent and it has been received loud and clear by the folks in Washington who are obliged to pay attention to those things.

The big debate will be what that message is.

The Democratic base is ticked off because even with a 60 seat majority the Democrats couldn't seem to act on their agenda. Take health care. What's coming out of this mess is a disaster, pure and simple. Requiring health care coverage while failing to produce a public option is a windfall for big insurance companies, pure and simple. The voters know this and are ticked off.... at least on the left.

As far as the Right goes, its clear how they feel. At the same time they're willing to back Palin so who cares what they think.

The Independents are the mixed bag. Did they turn because of the outright corruption and double dealing that a few Blue Dogs required? Why does the mandate the Democrats were handed in 2008 seem to have been revoked in one of the bluest of blue states?

This is essentially the same crisis of identity the Republicans faced in 2006. Do you lean more to your base to keep them happy and in line and risk pushing moderates into the other camp, or steer towards the middle and make no one happy?

The Democrats never had a supermajority. That has been myth perpetuated by pretty much everyone from all quarters.

:cuckoo:

They did. It was no myth. If you need evidence that they HAD it, but no longer do -- then count the votes in the Senate FOR their version of the Health Care crap bill and the votes against. Yup. They had it.

Now, it's gone.

Presently referred to as the hide the decline or manipulate the data ploy. Let me get this straight. You are suggesting almost EVERYONE from ALL quaters have been under this "myth". If you believe that, I would recommend going with the Democrats were under represented in Massachusett's Senate election.

It is very entertaining to observe.

I disagree. I have not seen the "official" results, but early estimates stated that Brown was victroious due to the Indepedent vote. This same Indepdent vote put Barack Obama into the White House. IF the early estimates are true, this COULD be a sign of things to come for the Democratic party, no?

Time will tell. it mostly depends on how the economy does in the next year or so.
Americans have a VERY short memory. And seem to love being programmed.

The economy may help obama in 2012, but unemployment, economy, cap and trade, and immigration won't help the democrats in 2010. It's obama's policies that are in play in 2010.

:cuckoo:

They did. It was no myth. If you need evidence that they HAD it, but no longer do -- then count the votes in the Senate FOR their version of the Health Care crap bill and the votes against. Yup. They had it.

Now, it's gone.

If the Democrats had a supermajority, why couldn't they pass a public option, which is popular, and was passed by the House?

If the Democrats had a supermajority, why was the independent Lieberman counted as part of that supermajority:

Lieberman who:

1. Beat the real Democrat to get re-elected.

2. Got 70% of the CT Republican vote to get re-elected.

3. Endorsed the Republican John McCain for president.

Supermajority my ass. A myth.

Forum List

Back