The Only Thing to Fear - Is the Fear Mongers

The major damage that they can do to US is not physical. Knocking down three towers is not significant physical damage. To the people who died and their families, yes, this is significant. But to the total country the amount of physcial damage they did wasn't even a pin prick.

Where we were hurt was the fear that followed. Plane travel took a hit and people's perceptions of danger ruled over the reality. Perceptions became reality and people froze in their daily activities.

This fear is what I believe this administration has used to get its agenda passed. When the fear alone doesn't work, then they attack your patriotism. Unfortunately until lately, the Dems showed more lemming than courage to stand up. The ones who did, like Cleland and the UnPatriot Act, were smeared with pictures and verbal attacks.

I doubt if it would happen, but if we are ever attacked again, the focus has to be on what little real damage they do and stop the larger psycological damage from taking place. It is about the perceptions we let rule US. The chances of anyone of US getting killed by a terrorist is far smaller than getting run over by a truck.

If we let them force US to live in fear, we lose.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigtht!

Mathews is often more right than left and he is a boring pompous asshole.

Do you deny that Bush has used the fear card continuously since 9-11? That is what his talk was about.

That's just plain funny...
"I've been following politics since I was about 5," said Mr. Matthews. "I've never seen anything like this. This is bigger than Kennedy. [Obama] comes along, and he seems to have the answers. This is the New Testament. This is surprising."

Matthews said:

The feeling most people get when they hear a Barack Obama speech, I mean, I get, I felt this thrill go up my leg. I mean, I don't have that too often.

"I've been following politics since I was about 5," said Mr. Matthews. "I've never seen anything like this. This is bigger than Kennedy. [Obama] comes along, and he seems to have the answers. This is the New Testament. This is surprising."

Matthews said:

The feeling most people get when they hear a Barack Obama speech, I mean, I get, I felt this thrill go up my leg. I mean, I don't have that too often.

did the words "more often" escape you?

The major damage that they can do to US is not physical. Knocking down three towers is not significant physical damage. To the people who died and their families, yes, this is significant. But to the total country the amount of physcial damage they did wasn't even a pin prick.

Where we were hurt was the fear that followed. Plane travel took a hit and people's perceptions of danger ruled over the reality. Perceptions became reality and people froze in their daily activities.

This fear is what I believe this administration has used to get its agenda passed. When the fear alone doesn't work, then they attack your patriotism. Unfortunately until lately, the Dems showed more lemming than courage to stand up. The ones who did, like Cleland and the UnPatriot Act, were smeared with pictures and verbal attacks.

I doubt if it would happen, but if we are ever attacked again, the focus has to be on what little real damage they do and stop the larger psycological damage from taking place. It is about the perceptions we let rule US. The chances of anyone of US getting killed by a terrorist is far smaller than getting run over by a truck.

If we let them force US to live in fear, we lose.
http://www.ccc.nps.navy.mil/si/aug02/homeland.asp
barely a pin-prick....

Matthews said:

I guess geeks get boners at the slightest hint of schmooze...............:eusa_whistle:

No it scares the hell out of me this liberal spending machine is going to bankrupt our country if he gets elected....

Funny... were you concerned about that when the current occupant of the whitehouse started spending us into deficit heaven while cutting taxes for his rich buddies and corporations?

Didn't think so.

Funny... were you concerned about that when the current occupant of the whitehouse started spending us into deficit heaven while cutting taxes for his rich buddies and corporations?

Didn't think so.

For one I thought the Senate started approations bills?? right?? You guys always like to say "Bush's Taxcut", even though it may be his plan, he didn't legislate the tax cut, Congress did. Secondly, this is coming from a person that thought that Reagan was a fiscal conservative and tried to promote him as some a tax hiker....when we both know its not the truth. The simple fact is if every proposal that Obama got legislated by Congress and passed, it would be over 800 billion dollars in new governmental spending, that's unacceptable. Our defecit is high enough. Secondly, I don't know if you've seen this website but take a look it "shows you" who really pays the taxes in this country. So maybe some liberals should stop thinking they need the government to wipe their own butts and wipe it themselves.

http://money.aol.com/kiplingers/tax/canvas3/_a/how-do-you-rank-as-a-taxpayer/20061211141809990001

For one I thought the Senate started approations bills?? right?? You guys always like to say "Bush's Taxcut", even though it may be his plan, he didn't legislate the tax cut, Congress did. Secondly, this is coming from a person that thought that Reagan was a fiscal conservative and tried to promote him as some a tax hiker....when we both know its not the truth. The simple fact is if every proposal that Obama got legislated by Congress and passed, it would be over 800 billion dollars in new governmental spending, that's unacceptable. Our defecit is high enough. Secondly, I don't know if you've seen this website but take a look it "shows you" who really pays the taxes in this country. So maybe some liberals should stop thinking they need the government to wipe their own butts and wipe it themselves.

http://money.aol.com/kiplingers/tax/canvas3/_a/how-do-you-rank-as-a-taxpayer/20061211141809990001

hey, you were the one talking about Obama bankrupting the country if he's elected. so when it comes to Bush, the pres and his drunken sailor repub congress were ok, but obama's going to bankrupt us? i have a newsflash for ya... what do you think your boys did for the first six years they were in power?

hey, you were the one talking about Obama bankrupting the country if he's elected. so when it comes to Bush, the pres and his drunken sailor repub congress were ok, but obama's going to bankrupt us? i have a newsflash for ya... what do you think your boys did for the first six years they were in power?

Newsflash....I don't have republican blinders on. I thought what they did by increasing spending was not fiscally responsible. Although there was a slight excuse for that spending, say maybe 9/11?? A whole new cabinet department to protect the homeland?? Don't seem to remember that huh? I think 5.5 billion in earmarks for Democrats and a little over 4 billion for Republicans is ridiculous too.

Newsflash....I don't have republican blinders on. I thought what they did by increasing spending was not fiscally responsible. Although there was a slight excuse for that spending, say maybe 9/11?? A whole new cabinet department to protect the homeland?? Don't seem to remember that huh? I think 5.5 billion in earmarks for Democrats and a little over 4 billion for Republicans is ridiculous too.

No it wasn't fiscally responsible. And while 9/11 created a need for certain security expenses, it didn't require a war against a country that didn't attack us. That's almost a trillian dollars spend unnecessarily. as for earmarks, yes, absurd on both sides. but what's more absurd is they didn't spend the money implementing the suggestions of the 9/11 commission. Our ports, waterways, food and water supplies, nuclear facilities... all woefully undersecure. Instead the money they did spend got passed around like patronage to places where there's no terrorist threat. Gee... wonder where it's more likely that terrorism will be a problem? Tennessee? or NYC?

And they fired a good number of the farsi interpreters that we DID need to combat terrorism because they offended our fearless leaders cause they were gay.

any of this make sense? it doesn't to me.

No it wasn't fiscally responsible. And while 9/11 created a need for certain security expenses, it didn't require a war against a country that didn't attack us. That's almost a trillian dollars spend unnecessarily. as for earmarks, yes, absurd on both sides. but what's more absurd is they didn't spend the money implementing the suggestions of the 9/11 commission. Our ports, waterways, food and water supplies, nuclear facilities... all woefully undersecure. Instead the money they did spend got passed around like patronage to places where there's no terrorist threat. Gee... wonder where it's more likely that terrorism will be a problem? Tennessee? or NYC?

And they fired a good number of the farsi interpreters that we DID need to combat terrorism because they offended our fearless leaders cause they were gay.

any of this make sense? it doesn't to me.

You know we disagree about the justification in Iraq...I'm sure. If you want to debate that we can. I believe through fiscal year '08 the wars in Iraq and "Afgan" will have cost us approximately 760 billion. That is still considerably less than over 800 billion in new spending proposed by Obama coupled with the 680 billion spent on social programs last year. that is 1.4 trillion dollars alone. As far as 9/11 spending, no they didn't implement every recommendation by the 9/11 commission. Although they have implemented quite a few suggestions by the 9/11 commission, one of the most important was the restructing of the CIA and the intelligence community. I haven't anything about the Farsi interpreters getting fired so maybe if you pass on the info., I will say this though to be as politically correct as I can be, America is a very tolerable country but I don't know how Iraqi's would accept a gay interpreter?

You know we disagree about the justification in Iraq...I'm sure. If you want to debate that we can. I believe through fiscal year '08 the wars in Iraq and "Afgan" will have cost us approximately 760 billion. That is still considerably less than over 800 billion in new spending proposed by Obama coupled with the 680 billion spent on social programs last year. that is 1.4 trillion dollars alone. As far as 9/11 spending, no they didn't implement every recommendation by the 9/11 commission. Although they have implemented quite a few suggestions by the 9/11 commission, one of the most important was the restructing of the CIA and the intelligence community. I haven't anything about the Farsi interpreters getting fired so maybe if you pass on the info., I will say this though to be as politically correct as I can be, America is a very tolerable country but I don't know how Iraqi's would accept a gay interpreter?

Iraqis don't speak farsi, Iranians do.

No it scares the hell out of me this liberal spending machine is going to bankrupt our country if he gets elected....

You speak of this "liberal spending machine" AS IF it were coming out of one party......................I'd think by now............someone would wake up...........:rolleyes:

clap, clap.....congratulations you caught me saying Iraqis, doesn't matter, Iranians I'm sure would be tolerant of a gay, right...

intolerance for non muslim religious practices is much more of an issue than sexual preference. I corrected you because it points out how little you know about the battlespace in which we fight.... the people in Iraq speak arabic.

intolerance for non muslim religious practices is much more of an issue than sexual preference. I corrected you because it points out how little you know about the battlespace in which we fight.... the people in Iraq speak arabic.

No it speaks of a mistake in my posting, the Afgans also speak Farsi, so maybe you don't know as much as you let on either. Considering I work with a Afgan I actually understand a little more about it than you. I simply misspoke when I said Iraqi. Point, Point...you made a mistake...Ha...Ha...(maineman) Most of the people on this message board I'm sure are adults...maybe you should start acting like it. The intolerance of non muslim comment still doesn't change the fact that the Iranians or "Afgans" have little tolerance for gays. Homosexuality isn't an accepted practice in the Koran.

You speak of this "liberal spending machine" AS IF it were coming out of one party......................I'd think by now............someone would wake up...........:rolleyes:

I agree with you it comes from both parties, but it seems as though Obama is going to master it(800 billion dollars).

Forum List

Back