The Official God FAQ

Really? Before you said

So is it ok with you or do you feel it's disrespectful, close-minded and intolerant?

I still wanna know what you think of the Carlin piece though.

I don't know anything about a "Carlin piece". I can't see youtube videos where I work, they are blocked, so if it's your beloved foul-mouth George Carlin then thankfully I missed it and I won't be watching it.

If half a loaf is better than nothing and nothing is better than god......

If god is so great, why does he need billions of people to worship him?

Sounds like god has low self esteem to me.

It isnt about "worshiping". Yeah that happens. But the reason God does His work is to help people reach their potential.

Last edited:
It isnt about "woshiping". Yeah that happens. But the reason God does His work is to help people reach their potential.

I don't believe in god but if there were such a being, we would be not but an ant farm and god is the sadistic kid with a magnifying glass.

$116.gif

I don't know anything about a "Carlin piece". I can't see youtube videos where I work, they are blocked, so if it's your beloved foul-mouth George Carlin then thankfully I missed it and I won't be watching it.

Does profanity scare you?

I brought the clip up because I really wanted to know whether you thought that bit was intolerant or not.

And you still didn't answer my other question over whether making fun of sacred beliefs is wrong or not.

Last edited:
Does profanity scare you?
No. Thinking something is unnecessary doesn't = being scared of it. I think questions like this are typical, disingenuous message board blather.

I brought the clip up because I really wanted to know whether you thought that bit was intolerant or not.
You can bring up the clip all you want but like I already said several times I can't even see YouTube at work, it's blocked. And even if I could I don't want to hear that guy's filthy mouth. You know how people are always saying, "If you don't like it then don't listen"? Well, I'm exercising that right.

And you still didn't answer my other question over whether making fun of sacred beliefs is wrong or not.
I have already answered this, read the thread. Bored with reiterating.

No. Thinking something is unnecessary doesn't = being scared of it. I think questions like this are typical, disingenuous message board blather.

Yes but you seem to be avoiding it just because of 'bad words'. Pity.

You can bring up the clip all you want but like I already said several times I can't even see YouTube at work, it's blocked.

Then I'll wait.

I have already answered this, read the thread. Bored with reiterating.

Well first you implied it was intolerant and then you said it was ok, so i'm confused.

Yes but you seem to be avoiding it just because of 'bad words'. Pity.
Pity to you, not to me.

Then I'll wait.
Hope you're patient because I have no plan to watch it. My point was that I can't even see that a video is embedded. So I don't know if I'm missing anything or not.

Well first you implied it was intolerant and then you said it was ok, so i'm confused.
I do think making fun of someone else's sacred beliefs is intolerant. That doesn't mean it isn't allowed in a free society. I just think it's hypocritical of people that preach tolerance to turn around and make fun of something like a religion. If you want to discuss *that* I'm game, but the rest of this is boring.

Pity to you, not to me.

Why yes avoiding something genuinely funny just because it may have 'bad words' is a pity.
Hope you're patient because I have no plan to watch it. My point was that I can't even see that a video is embedded. So I don't know if I'm missing anything or not.

I meant I'd wait if you wanted to see it, but it's a great conversation starter for the whole thing. There's not a whole lot of profanity in that particular clip

I do think making fun of someone else's sacred beliefs is intolerant. I just think it's hypocritical of people that preach tolerance to turn around and make fun of something like a religion. If you want to discuss *that* I'm game, but the rest of this is boring.

Hence why I posted the Carlin clip, I wanted to know if you thought that constituted intolerance or constructive criticism.

I really don't see how making fun of something is intolerant. Can I make fun of hippies or their way of life or would that be intolerant to the residents of Haight Ashbury (yes I know they're not all hippies but bear with me). Can I make fun of the principles of Judaism or would that make me intolerant of Jews. How about Scientology? You know they've claimed that some specific (verbal) attacks on them were hateful and intolerant. The question remains, can I call them a cult or would that be intolerant?

What makes religion so special that to make fun of it is so bad? I'd really like to know.

Last edited:
What's really funny about the link is that it deals with an absolute:

Are people really that closed-minded? Answer: Yep.

Ok how about this.

Is there a God?
Who knows

What do we know about this hypothetical God?
Absolutely nothing.

Should we assume he wrote (insert holy book here)?
No.

I fail to see it. Only people who say there is a god are trying to prove anything. I am a non believer in the supernatural or spiritual. I not only do NOT have anything to prove, I don't care. If it weren't for the assault on my senses and mind by the suspension of critical thinking skills on the part of otherwise bright people I wouldn't even reply when the subject comes up. But, I am amused when bright people suspend reality and go supernatural on me...it's like going to the Zoo and seeing a chimp type out Tolstoy's War and Peace.

On the off chance you're not kidding...

The link is a joke. It is impossible to prove that God does not exist.

I don't understand why anyone thinks it's funny to be disrespectful of others religion. I can't imagine making fun of others sacred beliefs.

I guess what I find really ironic about it is that is seems to usually come from liberals and I thought they were supposed to be more tolerant and open-minded.

We liberals are intolerant of ignorance as it is a threat to everything we hold dear, and we resist having an empty mind that will be surely filled with by religious nitwits full of superstitious nonsense posing as spirituality.

I am be tolerant of the beliefs of others, but I do not have to be respectful when it enters my life.

We liberals are intolerant of ignorance as it is a threat to everything we hold dear, and we resist having an empty mind that will be surely filled with by religious nitwits full of superstitious nonsense posing as spirituality.

I am be tolerant of the beliefs of others, but I do not have to be respectful when it enters my life.

Do not fill yourself with pride thinking that you are absolutely right and that all others are 100% wrong. It's generally a very bad idea.

Forum List

Back