The New liberal Name For Our *PRESIDENT*...

Lesson of Clinton Fund-Raiser: Double-Check That Donor List
By RAYMOND HERNANDEZ and IAN URBINA
Published: February 9, 2005
In August 2000, Bill and Hillary Clinton attended a Hollywood fund-raiser, which included a man with a checkered past.

Didn't even give Hillary the title of "Senator." Come on, start emailing the media!

White House denies tax money used to promote policy
January 28, 2005

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
As fresh evidence surfaced of the Bush Administration's use of taxpayer dollars to promote its policies in the press, the President repudiated such practices and ordered that his cabinet secretaries remain "independent" from the media.

Mr Bush spoke on Wednesday as Democrats produced statistics showing that Administration contracts with private public relations companies have more than doubled since he took office.

It was disclosed that a syndicated columnist had received $US21,500 ($28,000) from the Department of Health and Human Services to help the department's efforts to promote marriage among aid recipients. Earlier this month, reports surfaced that the Education Department had paid conservative commentator Armstrong Williams $US240,000 to promote the President's education policies.

During a White House news conference, Mr Bush denied that he and his staff knew about such contracts, which Democrats denounced as "covert propaganda" directed at the American people and paid for by their tax dollars.

"I expect my cabinet secretaries to make sure that that practice doesn't go forward," Mr Bush said. "We didn't know about this in the White House, and there needs to be a nice, independent relationship between the White House and the press, the Administration and the press."

A report by Democrats on the House Committee on Government Reform, said the Administration spent at least $US88 million on public relations contracts in 2004, more than twice the $US37 million the Clinton administration spent in 2000, its last year in office.

The report also said that 41 per cent of such contracts last year were awarded on a no-bid basis, while in 2000 under Mr Clinton, only 16 per cent were non-competitive. The numbers were likely to increase because some government agencies have yet to disclose their 2004 public relations expenditures, it said.

The media buy controversy came as CNN's pugnacious founder Ted Turner, known for his inflammatory remarks, compared the ascent of Rupert Murdoch's Fox News to the rise of Hitler before World War II.

"Adolf Hitler was more popular in Germany than the people who ran against him," he told a conference of programming executives in Las Vegas. "Just because you are bigger doesn't mean to say you are right," he said.

The 67-year-old billionaire also told the audience that Fox had become a propaganda tool for the Bush Administration. "There's nothing wrong with that," he said. "It's certainly legal. But it does pose problems for our democracy.

I mean come on...this is not something that is prejudicial on a large scale.

Pale, I share your pissed-off attitude toward the liberal mafia! I've sent off a few emails myself to the media about their underhandedness. I hear and read the "Mr. Bush" reference all the time too and I get angry about having this constant, not-so-subtle undercurrent of hatred and impertinence towards President Bush as well as a total lack of respect.

There is NO reason for anyone to call any President of our country by the title of Mister. It is a totally offensive and disparaging journalistic maneuver on their part. It shows absolutely NO respect for the Office of the President and thus creates another rip in the fabric of our American society. Do the Libs care about that? No, of course not, most of them are anti-American anyway.

Thinking like a Liberal, you know the reason this started: In 2000 they did not consider Bush to be fairly elected. So of course they started to call him "Mr. Bush" instead of President Bush and have done so ever since. Their residual hatred is almost palpable whenever they speak of him.

I suppose we could just laugh it off as the pettiness of a bunch of sore losers but it bothers me that the media imposes such inappropriate disrespect upon the office of President and thus, in effect, upon us, the electorate. The liberal media reminds me too much of the Soviet Pravda, the purpose of which was to tell people what to think and believe, not to report impartially.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Kathianne said:
Honestly, I think they did it to Clinton and all presidents back quite aways. I went looking for old news articles, but alas, I won't pay for archives and got bored trying to find some...

Well looking for something else, I came upon this. They didn't even bother with the 'Mr.' for Clinton:

http://www.cnn.com/US/9905/27/milosevic.us.reax.01/

U.S. backs Milosevic war crimes indictment

Milosevic, 4 deputies charged with war crimes

Wants to see the Yugoslav leader put on trial

May 27, 1999
Web posted at: 12:25 p.m. EDT (1625 GMT)

YULEE, Florida (CNN) -- The Clinton administration said Thursday it wants Slobodan Milosevic to surrender to the U.N. war crimes tribunal that indicted the Yugoslav president and four other Yugoslav leaders for crimes against humanity allegedly committed during the Kosovo conflict.

"I welcome the decision of the international war crimes tribunal to indict Slobodan Milosevic and four other senior Serbian leaders," President Clinton said in a statement released in Florida, where he is vacationing with the first lady.

"It will reassure the victims of Belgrade's atrocities in Kosovo and it will deter future war crimes by establishing that those who give the orders will be held accountable," Clinton added.

"It will make clear to the Serbian people who is responsible for this conflict and who is prolonging it. I call on all nations to support the Tribunal's decision and to cooperate with its efforts to seek justice."

Clinton also said NATO's bombing campaign against Yugoslavia would continue "until our objectives are achieved."

Rubin says the war crimes tribunal is a body of the United Nations, not the United States

'It's not an American tribunal'

In Washington, the State Department urged Milosevic to surrender to the tribunal for trial and said his indictment should build support among Serbs for ending the Kosovo crisis on NATO's terms.

Spokesman James Rubin said the United States has long held Milosevic personally and politically responsible for the conflict.

"The tribunal's prosecutor has now said she believes he is criminally responsible as well," he told reporters.

A senior Yugoslav official dismissed the indictment as a political maneuver by the United States and NATO, a charge Rubin denied in a separate interview with CNN.

"This tribunal was voted on by Russia and by all the members of the (U.N.) Security Council," Rubin said. "It's a United Nations tribunal. It's not an American tribunal. It's not a NATO tribunal. And the Yugoslav authorities know that."

Rubin said the United States has never intended to negotiate NATO's terms with Milosevic and does not intend to change that policy now.

He said the United States has been the main provider of evidence to the tribunal but has always viewed that body's activities as independent. The administration, he added, has always "urged them to follow the evidence where it leads."

Milosevic is the first head of state in office to come under international indictment for war crimes. He and the other leaders are accused of atrocities against ethnic Albanians in Kosovo. The other men are:

Milan Milutinovic, president of the Yugoslav republic of Serbia
Nikola Sainovic, Yugoslavia's deputy prime minister
Dragoljub Ojdanic, chief of general staff of the Yugoslav army
Vlajko Stojiljkovic, Serbia's minister of internal affairs

they continue to refer to their golden boy as 'President Clinton', as if that term applies in perpetuity?

Comrade, i don't know if it is the samer thing in USA, but in France, the ex-president are still called "Mr. President" whe they are for example on TV, for news, or a show....
It is for the respect.
the only french president still alive now is Valery Giscard d'Estaing, Pres. from 1974 to 1981, and still now, he's always called "President". but of course, not always, and quite only when somebody speak to him.

For the discussion.....I find that this subject have not the worth you're giving to it.

of course, it can be taken as not respect, and then ? they don't like Bush - sorry, president Bush - , it is a good war way, they call him Mr. .
It is not an insult.

And i thik it is Kathianne who said that, the use of "Mr" and other words can avoid the repetition of "president", and when you have less repetition, it is better for the redaction.

And, do you tink that in france, All the newspapers call always Jacques Chirac "monsieur le President" ? no !
Do you believe that in UK, they call always Tony Blair "the prime minister" ? No !
Do you really imagine that in Germany, they call always Gehrardt Schröder "Der Bundeskanzler" ? No !

Even the newspapers ont the same political side with the president don't call always him "monsier le president"...like Le Figaro.
It is not to show they not respect him, but you can say it when you began, and after, use other words....

look i don't really give a fuck what other people do in other countries, they should refer to their leaders by whatever respectful title they have earned

the president of the united states should be addressed as mr president

it is President Bush...end of discussion

former president clinton, former presdient bush and former president carter
should be addresessed as such they are not the fucking president

as for hillary clinton i have a four letter word i use for her

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Kathianne said:
Far be it from me to stand on the side of ACLU, but I believe it's standard journalism practice to first address the President as "President so and so," and repetitions of the name to be, "Mr. so and so."

I'm 49 years old Kathianne, and I've been politically studious since I was 24, the age I was when I joined the Air Force. I don't recall EVER, in the past or recent times, where 'ON TV', a sitting president was refered to as "mister". If they have, then I'll admit I haven't been observant enough to pick up on it. But the fact remains, they liberal media is making a *POINT* of calling 'PRESIDENT' Bush, "mister" Bush, as a disrepectful slur.

If anyone calls former President clinton, mister clinton, I can see that. He was the second president in American history to be IMPEACHED! He was a shyster and a sexual predator, and dishonored not only the White House, but the office of president. He no longer deserves the respect of being called "President".

Pale Rider said:
I'm 49 years old Kathianne, and I've been politically studious since I was 24, the age I was when I joined the Air Force. I don't recall EVER, in the past or recent times, where 'ON TV', a sitting president was refered to as "mister". If they have, then I'll admit I haven't been observant enough to pick up on it. But the fact remains, they liberal media is making a *POINT* of calling 'PRESIDENT' Bush, "mister" Bush, as a disrepectful slur.

If anyone calls former President clinton, mister clinton, I can see that. He was the second president in American history to be IMPEACHED! He was a shyster and a sexual predator, and dishonored not only the White House, but the office of president. He no longer deserves the respect of being called "President".

Pale, I already found and posted a 1999 article from CNN that not only opened with President Clinton, throughout the rest of it they called him Clinton, not even Mr. Clinton. You didn't notice then, now you do. I remembered this from journalism courses which is why I posted that I thought that was what was going on this morning.

Here's the link:

They didn't even bother with the 'Mr.' for Clinton:

Kathianne said:
Pale, I already found and posted a 1999 article from CNN that not only opened with President Clinton, throughout the rest of it they called him Clinton, not even Mr. Clinton. You didn't notice then, now you do. I remembered this from journalism courses which is why I posted that I thought that was what was going on this morning.

Here's the link:

They didn't even bother with the 'Mr.' for Clinton:

What more can I say Kath... ?

Pale Rider said:
What more can I say Kath... ?

I thought the whole point of everyone's upset was the respect for the office. I guess it really has more to do with GW, ok. Not the office. I get it.

Kathianne said:
I thought the whole point of everyone's upset was the respect for the office. I guess it really has more to do with GW, ok. Not the office. I get it.

Yes, you're pretty much right... I think once you attain the highest elected office in America, you've EARNED the respect to be addressed by the title of that office... "PRESIDENT" so and so. UNLESS, you've DISGRACED the office, as slick willie did. He does NOT deserve to be addressed as "President" anymore.

But Kathy... my *entire point*, is that the liberal media is doing it, and doing it A LOT, as a slander to President Bush. It's cheap, petty and small. He doesn't deserve it.

Pale Rider said:
Yes, you're pretty much right... I think once you attain the highest elected office in America, you've EARNED the respect to be addressed by the title of that office... "PRESIDENT" so and so. UNLESS, you've DISGRACED the office, as slick willie did. He does NOT deserve to be addressed as "President" anymore.

But Kathy... my *entire point*, is that the liberal media is doing it, and doing it A LOT, as a slander to President Bush. It's cheap, petty and small. He doesn't deserve it.

Not often I go here, but whatever. As I said, this is how journalists are taught, so no slur is intended. I believe just about everyone knows where my loyalties lie, but whatever...

Kathianne said:
Not often I go here, but whatever. As I said, this is how journalists are taught, so no slur is intended. I believe just about everyone knows where my loyalties lie, but whatever...

Well... then we end it here. I don't believe this is how journalists are taught, I believe this how "liberals act"... period.

It's in the AP Style book, which is like Strunk & White to college students:

titles -- For general information, see the Courtesy Title Policy appendix.

Formal titles used before a person's name are capitalized, but occupational descriptions are not. Whether a title is formal or occupational depends on the practice of the governmental or private organization that confers it. If there is doubt, use a construction that sets the title off with commas after the name: John Jones, commander of the group, raised a question.

Some common titles that should be capitalized when used before a name on first reference include: President, Commissioner, Supervisor (e.g., township), Councilman, Councilwoman, Mayor, Chairman, Chairwoman, Vice President, Secretary, Secretary-Treasurer, Treasurer, Dean, Director (e.g., school), Superintendent.

Note: attorney is an occupational title; it should not be capitalized.

Most titles should be spelled out when used in quotations, even if they normally are abbreviated outside quotations. Examples of the latter include Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Representative, Senator and the Reverend. Some military titles should also be spelled out in quotations, but they are rarely used in our papers; see the military titles entry in AP.

And I was taught in college to use the "injector pulse width" tables to reflash the ECM. Then we had an industry whip come along and taught us to use the "volumetric effiency" tables to reflash the ECM instead.

Just goes to show... what's in the books and what you're taught may not necessarily be right.

I get back to my main point... the liberals are doing it, whether it's "taught" or not, as a disrespect to President Bush. Do you not concede that?

Pale Rider said:
And I was taught in college to use the "injector pulse width" tables to reflash the ECM. Then we had an industry whip come along and taught us to use the "volumetric effiency" tables to reflash the ECM instead.

Just goes to show... what's in the books and what you're taught may not necessarily be right.

I get back to my main point... the liberals are doing it, whether it's "taught" or not, as a disrespect to President Bush. Do you not concede that?

I think I agree with Kathianne that you have a pre-established conclusion. I'd bet my tuition money that you didn't get mad when it happened to Clinton PRE-monica.

It's just a matter of economy. Space is money in print and retyping President over and over again is not only monotonous but provides no additional information.

You think the media is liberally biased and are looking for more reasons to reinforce that notion.

Pale Rider said:
ON NO... there's no bias in the liberal media machine... no at all. But they still call that sexual predator and the second President to be IMPEACHED, President clinton, but when the news comes on, it's "Mr Bush", instead of "President Bush". And don't these liberal ass wipes think anybody's taking notice??!! These fucking puke bags got me so fucking pissed, OFF WENT THE TV... PERIOD!!!

From this day foward, I WILL NEVER listen to another fucking WORD spoken on the nightly news on either abc, cbs, or nbc.

Liberal cock sucking bastards... all of them. They can all fuck off and die.
Other than that.... they're nice guys :)

Well.... what do you expect..... when I see or hear "Well Bush isn't MY President" I'd like to ask.... "OK.... who is?". That's like saying they aren't American, or something, like they don't recognize the Constitution..... What? You don't recognize the democratic process any longer?

So libs, answer this..... if you don't recognize the democratic process... What's the alternative? .... I think the answer is pretty obvious! Dictatorship, political oppression, a "fear society".... is that what it's come to with you libs?

It's like this libs.... if keep company with Clintons, with the radical feminists, with the gay rights advocates, with the trial attorneys, with the radical environmentalists, with the Hollywood Hitler Youth, with the Park Avenue liberals, with the George Soros and Al Frankens and (let's not forget the only person whose mouth is so big it has several time zones) Michael Moore. When you play kissy face with dictators like Castro, are apologists for Islamic terrorism and make idiotic assertions that the victims of 9/11 had it coming to them. When you want to turn over the sovereignty of this Nation over to the United Nations. If you continue to support partial birth abortion, if you continue to look down your nose at Evangelical Christians, Orthodox Jews and others who have chosen to live according to their faith, if you continue with your attitude that liberal judges should legislate from the bench and short circuit the wishes of millions of voters, if you continue to have the attitude that you know better than the rest of us.....

Then don't be surprised if you've managed to alienate the entire country. Don't be surprise if you can't win elections. Keep it up and you won't be able to beat a can of dog food in a politcal race.

When things don't go your way, you start showing your true colors... you say that if Bush were elected President you'd leave the country.... ok, so why are you still here? Some of you said if we won the Iraqi war you'd crawl through broken glass on your hands and knees begging Bush's forgiveness .... ok, here's your kneepads, get to it.....

In short.... it's a liberal temper tantrum and has been one one long temper tantrum for the past several years and the rest of the country has had to be a captive audience to the whole thing

Liberty is like air, when you have it you take it for granted, when you don't, you realize that life is impossible without it.

P.S. Pale Rider, I'd give you rep points if I could, but the server wouldn't let me.

Forum List

Back