The Myth of Border Security, the Reality of Retribution

No "border" in the world is completely "secure". It's an impossible fantasy.

As to Mr. Cabrera's comments - you do realize that he's the head of a public employee labor union that directly benefits from scaring people about illegal immigration?

Do you take everything that Randi Weingarten says about education in this country as fact?

I haven't heard of anyone crossing the Korean border, have you?
they go through china and thailand.

North Korea doesn't border Thailand, numskull.

As to Mr. Cabrera's comments - you do realize that he's the head of a public employee labor union that directly benefits from scaring people about illegal immigration?

Do you take everything that Randi Weingarten says about education in this country as fact?

Yeah, actually. It happens all the time, just not through the DMZ.

But that's still entirely irrelevant to the topic of discussion.

I thought the topic was your claim that no border is completely secure?

The National Border Patrol Council is an arm of the AFL-CIO.

"Agents who repeatedly report groups larger than 20 face retribution,” he said. “Management will either take them out of the field and assign them to processing detainees at the station or assign them to a fixed position in low volume areas as punishment.”

A very serious accusation for which I would like to see hard evidence.

I'll be looking for it.

Always the contrary aren't you? Just how is he scaring people about illegal immigration?

With claims of government conspiracies about "retribution" and inflated statistics about drug dealers and other scary Mexicans.

find such a suggestion ludicrous. Of all the industrialized nations in the world, I believe the United States has the worst means of enforcing border security. I could be wrong, though.

Why do you believe that?

Be reminded, no border is completely insecure either. More effort goes into enforcement than it does elsewhere.

The thousands of illegal immigrants turned back and deported every month implies that our border is not "completely insecure". I'm not sure I'm understanding your point.

Only in your mind, in a deluded attempt at a "gotcha".

The DMZ is an active war zone. Even to someone so devoted to logical fallacies such as yourself can see the difference between it and borders between allied countries.

With claims of government conspiracies about "retribution" and inflated statistics about drug dealers and other scary Mexicans.

Eh, that's not an answer to my question. In fact, people who insist that there isn't much illegal immigration are probably trying to cover a lie. Naturally you'll call the anti-illegal immigration crowd conspiracy theorists. I find the accusations of fearmongering to be disingenuous or intellectually dishonest.

Attempting to downplay the problem isn't helpful, and in fact makes the problem worse. This "tis but a scratch" attitude is pretty, with all due respect, deluded.

Why do you believe that?

Why?

Because the man speaks as an agent for the Rio Grande Valley sector, one of the busiest and most frequented areas by illegal immigrants. Thus I trust experience more than I do talking points at this time.

The thousands of illegal immigrants turned back and deported every month implies that our border is not "completely insecure". I'm not sure I'm understanding your point.

According to what statistics? The DHS has admitted to cooking the books before, why would you still trust them?

My point is that people like you insist the border can't be completely secure, while insisting that it is in fact secure. So, kinda hard to wrap the mind around such logic.

Last edited:

Only in your mind, in a deluded attempt at a "gotcha".

The DMZ is an active war zone. Even to someone so devoted to logical fallacies such as yourself can see the difference between it and borders between allied countries.

That isn't what you said. Allow me to quote:

they get smuggled into their , and then into south korea.

Eh, that's not an answer to my question. In fact, people who insist that there isn't much illegal immigration are probably trying to cover a lie. Naturally you'll call the anti-illegal immigration crowd conspiracy theorists. I find the accusations of fearmongering to be disingenuous or intellectually dishonest.

I don't believe that I've made any claims about how much illegal immigration there is, but not taking a clearly biased view as pure truth is not a "conspiracy", it's simple critical thinking.

Why do you believe that?

Why?

Because the man speaks as an agent for the Rio Grande Valley sector, one of the busiest and most frequented areas by illegal immigrants. Thus I trust experience more than I do talking points at this time.

No, he's speaking as the union rep for border patrol unions.

Do you deny that it's in the best interests of the border patrol union to have increased funding for their jobs?

Returning to my comparison with Teacher's Unions - do you trust their "experience" when they say that the solution to all the problems with our education is to pay teachers more?

Also, you didn't answer my question. Why do you believe that the United States has the worst means of enforcing border security? What makes you believe that?

According to what statistics? The DHS has admitted to cooking the books before, why would still trust them?

My point is that people like you insist the border can't be completely secure, while insisting that it is in fact secure. So, kinda hard to wrap the mind around such logic.

I have not insisted that the border is "secure", so it's kinda hard to wrap my mind about why you can't respond to my posts without assigning views to me in your head.

they get smuggled into their , and then into south korea.

Whos their?

Do you deny that it's in the best interests of the border patrol union to have increased funding for their jobs?

Yes. The man is testifying under oath and under penalty of law. Just why would he lie to Congress?

Returning to my comparison with Teacher's Unions - do you trust their "experience" when they say that the solution to all the problems with our education is to pay teachers more?

Education is a non sequitur. Teachers unions are a non sequitur. This is a "gotcha" question. Teachers teach, they don't enforce border security.

Cabrera and his cohorts are on the ground, exposing themselves to potential danger on a regular basis. Teachers on the other hand, all the danger they face are unruly kids in the classroom. The comparison you make is flawed, which doesn't warrant an answer to the question.

Also, you didn't answer my question. Why do you believe that the United States has the worst means of enforcing border security? What makes you believe that?

There are 11 million plus reasons why I think the way I do.

I have not insisted that the border is "secure", so it's kinda hard to wrap my mind about why you can't respond to my posts without assigning views to me in your head.

So what are you saying?

You made the claim that "thousands of illegal immigrants being deported and turned away every month implies our border is not "completely insecure." What am I to glean from that?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back