The Most Important Verse in the Bible

Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

If you don't believe that, everything else following is meaningless. And if Genesis 1:1 is not true, life is meaningless, you are just a byproduct of some random cosmic event.

Now some atheists can claim their lives have meaning. But they just made it up on their own. Just like we made God up. So their lives have no purpose.
Go look up how to construct a syllogism.

Your attempt is a mess.

If you don't believe that, everything else following is meaningless. And if Genesis 1:1 is not true, life is meaningless, you are just a byproduct of some random cosmic event.

Now some atheists can claim their lives have meaning. But they just made it up on their own. Just like we made God up. So their lives have no purpose.

Your attempt is a mess.
I know what brings you to a thread about Bible verses.
Revelation 12:7–13

Genesis 1:28.And God blessed them; and God said unto them: 'Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that creepeth upon the earth.'

Subdue...by studying and mastering it...science.
C'mon. That's a real stretch. If you want to believe the Bible as a metaphor, you can interpret thousands of passages in many different ways. I have never seen your interpretation.
The topic is the most important verse in the Bible.
What drives you to come to this thread and start attacking people's beliefs in it?
Good chance it's self doubt.
No problem, many of us crazy Christians started out that way.
Another stretch. I was definitely not attacking anyone's belief in the Bible. I was saying that it was a stretch to interpret the word "subdue" to mean that God was beseeching man to invent or study the science of biology. So now you attack me. Quite ironic.
I was challenging your comment, "Common fallacy to attempt to segregate science and the Bible. The two dovetail each other."

subdue (thefreedictionary.com)
1. to establish ascendancy over by force
2. to overcome and bring under control, as by intimidation or persuasion
3. to hold in check or repress (feelings, emotions, etc)
4. to render less intense or less conspicuous

Which one of those definitions do you think the Genesis was referring to?

Genesis 1:28.And God blessed them; and God said unto them: 'Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that creepeth upon the earth.'

C'mon. That's a real stretch. If you want to believe the Bible as a metaphor, you can interpret thousands of passages in many different ways. I have never seen your interpretation.
What drives you to come to this thread and start attacking people's beliefs in it?
Another stretch. I was definitely not attacking anyone's belief in the Bible. I was saying that it was a stretch to interpret the word "subdue" to mean that God was beseeching man to invent or study the science of biology. So now you attack me. Quite ironic.
I was challenging your comment, "Common fallacy to attempt to segregate science and the Bible. The two dovetail each other."

Science and the Bible do dovetail. Both support each other, neither contradicts the other.

And yes, G1:28 is an instruction to take control over the earth.

Science and the Bible do dovetail. Both support each other, neither contradicts the other.

And yes, G1:28 is an instruction to take control over the earth.
Science does not support the contention by many Christians that the earth is around 10,000 years old, evolution doesn't occur, etc.

Yes, I agree that the wording meant to take control over the earth. I was challenging your interpretation that it meant to study animals via science.

Your attempt is a mess.

Your attempt is a mess.
I probably read and ponder the Bible verses as much as anyone here, so a false teacher's comment like yours does not bother me. Give others the grace you want and leave the judging to Jesus. Wuwei's comments are viable.

I have little doubt it's allegory but that is just me.
Save your pity, I don't deserve it. Give it to those who believe in lies, which means the majority of people in this world.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
What's your excuse for creating your delusion?
You don't want to go out of your way to help the poor?
Keep all of the money you stepped on others to get and not help the poor?
What exactly is it?
If you're referring to my allegory comment, my "delusion" is based on fact not faith. If God created this world, he left us abundant clues as to how he did it. If you choose to ignore the work of God and trust in the work of man, you're welcome to your choice.

I have no clue where your comments on the poor came from as they make no sense????

Your attempt is a mess.

Your attempt is a mess.
I probably read and ponder the Bible verses as much as anyone here, so a false teacher's comment like yours does not bother me. Give others the grace you want and leave the judging to Jesus. Wuwei's comments are viable.
And so you came here to this thread for what purpose?
Please tell us, troll.

Please tell us, troll.
C'mon. Show some tolerance.
You are taking a stance - I know the bible better than you.
I am taking a stance - I know science better than you.
Jake is also taking a similar stance. You call him a troll.
Methinks you are the one who is a troll, with your self-righteous indignation.
When you try to meld science with religion, you are going to have to expect many will challenge you. Calling those who rightfully disagree with you a troll is a cheap-shot argument that reflects more on your soul than the person you are denigrating.

Your attempt is a mess.

Your attempt is a mess.
Please tell us, troll.
Correcting your silly pomposity as a teacher is not trolling. ;)

Ponder James 4 and 5.

We can discuss calmly here your ideas.

Wrong...the most important verse in the bible is the 1st commandment.

Sadly, the Aristotalian mindset is resistant to nuance.
The word "subdue" can have many definitions depending on the circumstances.
A tiger can be studied but cannot be allowed to run free down Broadway.

So you find all that New Testament stuff to be pretty irrelevant?

If you don't believe that, everything else following is meaningless. And if Genesis 1:1 is not true, life is meaningless, you are just byproduct of some random cosmic event.

You can define God as that entity that created the universe. But the idea of worshiping that entity does not follow. I have no need to define God, but I think the pursuit of physics and the hard sciences in studying the universe is a far more meaningful liturgy than that from a church.

well-----weather------I do love the book of Genesis. and long ago I was able to recite the first page------in Hebrew-----sorta-----it is majestic. HOWEVAH----face
facts-------it is poetry. (much better in Hebrew than in English---but not bad
in English) In my SUBLIME opinion-----(as oracle at usmb) ---the most
important statement in the entire book of genesis is directed at CAIN----(the jerk who killed his brother ABEL) It is "CHOOSE LIFE"! I have heard from my local sources when I asked how is "PROPHET" defined-----that a prophet is a person
who has communicated with G-d-----kinda directly.------According to Genesis----CAIN DID and, therefore-----what was SAID to CAIN is of utmost importance.
I am horrified to report-------EVE did not-----she got the snake

In my exalted opinion ----the theme of the book of genesis is -----FREE CHOICE FOR MANKIND (in English that includes girls). -----free choice----<<<<its a big cosmic deal
But if you don't believe Genesis 1:1 is true, Cain was just doing what nature allows. There is no such thing as evil without Genesis 1:1.

I do not "GET" your comment------The bible itself does not -----on the first page---
actually DEFINE "evil" ------in fact it is only when the CHOOOSE LIFE statement
comes up is LIFE equated with GOOD (vs evil) and the action of CAIN in killing his brother DEFINED as "EVIL". Before that----G-d is just an authority figure ----
that can hurt those who cross him
If there is no God, there is no such thing as good and evil. Humans then are no more significant than a blob of algae.

So the only thing that is keeping your from torturing puppies or running down little old ladies is your faith in God?

Jesus is pretty straight forward about that. I can see why a Jew might not care, but anyone who calls him or herself a Christian should know that.

29“The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.e 30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’f 31The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’g There is no commandment greater than these.”

You can define God as that entity that created the universe. But the idea of worshiping that entity does not follow. I have no need to define God, but I think the pursuit of physics and the hard sciences in studying the universe is a far more meaningful liturgy than that from a church.

well-----weather------I do love the book of Genesis. and long ago I was able to recite the first page------in Hebrew-----sorta-----it is majestic. HOWEVAH----face
important statement in the entire book of genesis is directed at CAIN----(the jerk who killed his brother ABEL) It is "CHOOSE LIFE"! I have heard from my local sources when I asked how is "PROPHET" defined-----that a prophet is a person
who has communicated with G-d-----kinda directly.------According to Genesis----CAIN DID and, therefore-----what was SAID to CAIN is of utmost importance.

In my exalted opinion ----the theme of the book of genesis is -----FREE CHOICE FOR MANKIND (in English that includes girls). -----free choice----<<<<its a big cosmic deal
But if you don't believe Genesis 1:1 is true, Cain was just doing what nature allows. There is no such thing as evil without Genesis 1:1.

I do not "GET" your comment------The bible itself does not -----on the first page---
comes up is LIFE equated with GOOD (vs evil) and the action of CAIN in killing his brother DEFINED as "EVIL". Before that----G-d is just an authority figure ----
If there is no God, there is no such thing as good and evil. Humans then are no more significant than a blob of algae.

So the only thing that is keeping your from torturing puppies or running down little old ladies is your faith in God?
Weatherman refuses to take self responsibility for his actions.

What a doosh stance.

From King George's bible:
Timothy 6:7
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

Also, from Hávamál (not exactly the bible) regarding Wisdom for Wanderers and Counsel to Guests.

Cattle die and kinsmen die,
thyself too soon must die,
but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
the doom on each one dead.

Those two, combined, seems to sum things up pretty good.

Jesus is pretty straight forward about that. I can see why a Jew might not care, but anyone who calls him or herself a Christian should know that.

29“The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.e 30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’f 31The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’g There is no commandment greater than these.”
Nice parsing of a statement in half. Makes you a liar, because Jesus was asked about the greatest commandment, not verse.

What a doosh stance.
Poor little girl follows this thread because it's so important he spew his hate.

Nice parsing of a statement in half. Makes you a liar, because Jesus was asked about the greatest commandment, not verse.

Jesus was talking about the most important commandment.

Which along with his second greatest commandment you ignore.

What a doosh stance.
Poor little girl follows this thread because it's so important he spew his hate.
Weatherman, all good Christians practice 'never hate the sinner, simply correct the sin.' You are misreading the scriptures and acting Pharisaically. Lean on the Lord and get straight with Him.

Forum List

Back