The Misrepresented Political History of the Confederate Battle Flag

I'm honestly a little thrown by the fact that you want to ban the Nazi flag, but think that stores voluntarily ceasing sales of Confederate flags somehow signifies an apocalyptic Borg future.

Oh, I don't know, because I know the actual philosophy behind those (the ISIS and Nazi) flags, perhaps? Civil War history is wrought with revisionism. Was it slavery or was it race? Was it even about slavery or race?

People's choices are being limited, and what I see is political correctness run amok. Oh sure, lets make people run to private dealers to get their confederate flags, make them more conspicuous in the eyes of the PC culture.

Do you know the "actual philosophy" behind the swastika?

It's an ancient symbol common to many religions around the world, going back 5,000 years. The "real" meaning of a symbol is irrelevant when it means something else entirely to most of the people.

What you describe as "PC culture" is just American culture doing something that you personally don't approve of.

Walmart doesn't sell Nazi flags either - is that unfair to Neo-Nazis?

Walmart is an exception to the fact. Amazon sells communist, Nazi, and ISIS paraphernalia, but somehow the Confederate Battle Flag is more offensive than any of those things, according to them at least.

I've heard that talking point a few times now, but I've tried searching Amazon for "Nazi flags" or "ISIS flags", and it returns no results.

Try searching for "swastika". They list them as "Buddhist" symbols, but I really doubt that everyone who buys one is Buddhist.

Speaking of which, how does your concept that other people's ideas of what my heritage symbol means should override mine coincide with the fact that the swastika has been around long before the Nazis, and means something totally different to other cultures? Should they be forced to abandon their symbols due to the limited understanding and offendedness of others?

Who has suggested that you should be "forced to abandon" the Confederate flag?

I'm honestly a little thrown by the fact that you want to ban the Nazi flag, but think that stores voluntarily ceasing sales of Confederate flags somehow signifies an apocalyptic Borg future.

Oh, I don't know, because I know the actual philosophy behind those (the ISIS and Nazi) flags, perhaps? Civil War history is wrought with revisionism. Was it slavery or was it race? Was it even about slavery or race?

People's choices are being limited, and what I see is political correctness run amok. Oh sure, lets make people run to private dealers to get their confederate flags, make them more conspicuous in the eyes of the PC culture.

It's an ancient symbol common to many religions around the world, going back 5,000 years. The "real" meaning of a symbol is irrelevant when it means something else entirely to most of the people.

What you describe as "PC culture" is just American culture doing something that you personally don't approve of.

Does the "actual philosophy" behind it matter, if people have decided to see it as a horribly offensive symbol of oppression? You don't seem to think that's the case with the Confederate battle flag. Either a symbol is what it is to those who bear it, or it is what those who hate it say it is. You can't have it both ways.

Does the "actual philosophy" behind it matter, if people have decided to see it as a horribly offensive symbol of oppression? You don't seem to think that's the case with the Confederate battle flag. Either a symbol is what it is to those who bear it, or it is what those who hate it say it is. You can't have it both ways.

You're really not getting it. Of course I can have it "both ways" - because both ways are true, to different people.

You're really not getting it. Of course I can have it "both ways" - because both ways are true, to different people.
Yes, but you want both ways to be true to you, depending on which is convenient for you at the moment. They have a word for that: hypocrisy.

If a swastika is more than what the Holocaust Museum sees it as, then the Confederate battle flag is more than what a bunch of outraged leftists see it as. My heritage is as valid and valuable as anyone else's.

This flag was used by the confederacy, splitting hairs won't take away from that one iota. Old Dix. The confederacy was not the best of American history, they rebelled against the growing abolitionist movement. The Confederate stars and bars always meant treason , sedition, treachery and just plain cussed stubborn rebellion to ME. I was always a bit insulted that it was allowed to fly over any American state, city or place period since 1865.

Yes, but you want both ways to be true to you, depending on which is convenient for you at the moment. They have a word for that: hypocrisy.

If a swastika is more than what the Holocaust Museum sees it as, then the Confederate battle flag is more than what a bunch of outraged leftists see it as. My heritage is as valid and valuable as anyone else's.

What is it that you think my opinion on the Confederate flag is, exactly?

This flag was used by the confederacy, splitting hairs won't take away from that one iota. Old Dix. The confederacy was not the best of American history, they rebelled against the growing abolitionist movement. The Confederate stars and bars always meant treason , sedition, treachery and just plain cussed stubborn rebellion to ME. I was always a bit insulted that it was allowed to fly over any American state, city or place period since 1865.

Of course, the same could be said for the American flag. Our Founders, all the way back to the Pilgrims, were noted for their "cussed stubborn rebellion", and they certainly did commit treason, sedition, and treachery . . . in the view of the British.

Americans historically are a contrary, stubborn lot.

What is it you think you've conveyed?

What is it you think you've conveyed?

I know what I "conveyed", it's all in this thread. But your responses to me indicate to me that you seem to be a little lost.

Perhaps reading through the thread will help you out.

Yeah I do. Peace, good luck, auspiciousness, well being.

I'm curious, why is everything "irrelevant" to you? The real meaning of a symbol means a great deal more to those with whom it originated than those with whom it didn't, and whatever alternate meaning it is assigned by those outside of the origin is irrelevant. So, when the Army or Northern Virginia crafted that Confederate battle flag, they never intended for it to be a sign of slavery or racism. Period.

According to the historian John Coski, the flag was more a sacred symbol to southerners than one of white supremacy during reconstruction. That's what William Porcher Miles had in mind when he crafted the flag, it was intended to bear a sort of innate religious significance. I can't find any accounts where the flag was ever used as a symbol of oppression during or after the Civil War. It was a battle flag, nothing more, nothing less.

The meaning of a symbol can be misattributed, you know like the swastika. Once a symbol of luck, peace, and well being; it was perverted into one of murder, suffering, slavery, repression, genocide, and conquest. Likewise with the Confederate Battle Flag. A symbol of intended religious significance has been perverted into something representing slavery, racism, and oppression. See the pattern there?

Why not just ban all confederate "traitor" flags?

Why does it take over 100 years for these Southern jackasses to get the point they lost and their 'way' was rejected? No matter what they say their "way" was!!

No, it is a systematic purge of alternative, no conformist viewpoints. It is a systematic purge of something certain people in society don't approve of.

No, it's really not. You build yourself a conspiracy narrative that has no basis in reality.

if you want to have one in a window or your yard

that is one

flying one at a state capital probably not

Exactly. Display it on any private property you want, but displaying the flag of an army whose goal was to overthrow the American government above a government building is absurd.

YO DINGLE BERRY

THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO SECEDE

FURTHERMORE.

.... whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,

Why not just ban all confederate "traitor" flags?

Because it isn't your right to ban anything, genius. And what gives you the idea that any of us who hold pride in such a flag happen to be traitors? Do you even know what the word means?
Man were charging across a battlefield under the banner of a battle flag designed for a new country called the Confederate states and shooting and killing other men.who were fighting under a banner that represented the United States. The men who fought under the confederate flag had been citizens of the United States before they took up arms against them. That is what made them traitors. Pretty basic and simple. If taking up arms against your government isn't treason, what is?

Yeah I do. Peace, good luck, auspiciousness, well being.

I'm curious, why is everything "irrelevant" to you? The real meaning of a symbol means a great deal more to those with whom it originated than those with whom it didn't, and whatever alternate meaning it is assigned by those outside of the origin is irrelevant. So, when the Army or Northern Virginia crafted that Confederate battle flag, they never intended for it to be a sign of slavery or racism. Period.

According to the historian John Coski, the flag was more a sacred symbol to southerners than one of white supremacy during reconstruction. That's what William Porcher Miles had in mind when he crafted the flag, it was intended to bear a sort of innate religious significance. I can't find any accounts where the flag was ever used as a symbol of oppression during or after the Civil War. It was a battle flag, nothing more, nothing less.

The meaning of a symbol can be misattributed, you know like the swastika. Once a symbol of luck, peace, and well being; it was perverted into one of murder, suffering, slavery, repression, genocide, and conquest. Likewise with the Confederate Battle Flag. A symbol of intended religious significance has been perverted into something representing slavery, racism, and oppression. See the pattern there?

You've missed about a hundred and fifty years of the history of that flag.

It wasn't until civil rights legislation was actually making headway in the mid 20th century that the Confederate flag regained any semblance of popularity - as a pretty clear anti-integration symbol.

That's when it was added to the Georgia flag, by the way - a couple years after Brown v. B.O.E, and almost a hundred years after the civil war ended.

Still, though - that's beside the point. The meanings of symbols change, and so do the perspectives that people look at them.

More Americans think the Confederate flag represents slavery and racism than think it represents heritage and all those other wonderful things. At this point, it seems that even most South Carolinians think that, by the stated opinion of the Republican governor and both Republican Senators.

Forum List

Back