The Miracle of Freedom.....

6. "....freedom produces opportunity. And I would encourage each of you to embrace what I call opportunity conservatism, which means that we should look at and judge every proposed domestic policy with a laser focus on how it impacts the least among us—how it helps the most vulnerable Americans climb the economic ladder.

Historically, our nation has enjoyed remarkable economic mobility. About 60 percent of the households that were in the lowest income quintile in 1999 were in a higher quintile ten years later. During the same decade, almost 40 percent of the richest households fell to a lower quintile.

This is a nation where you can rise or fall. It is a nation where you can climb the economic ladder based not on who you are born to, or what class you are born into, but based on your talents, your passion, your perseverance, and the content of your character.

The political left in our country seeks to reach down the hand of government and move people up the economic ladder. This attempt is almost always driven by noble intentions. And yet it never, ever works." https://imprimisarchives.hillsdale.edu/file/archives/pdf/2013_05_Imprimis.pdf

7. One need simply look at the result of Liberal welfare policy: "All this spending has not bought an appreciable reduction in poverty. … the poverty rate has remained relatively constant since 1965, (Since that time, U.S. taxpayers have spent over $22 trillion on anti-poverty programs (in constant 2012 dollars) despite rising welfare spending.

In fact, the only appreciable decline occurred in the 1990s, a time of state experimentation with tightening welfare eligibility, culminating in the passage of national welfare reform (the Personal Responsibility and Work Responsibility Act of 1996).

And, since 2006, poverty rates have risen despite a massive increase in spending. Census Bureau, “Table 5–Percent of People
by Ratio of Income to Poverty Level: 1970–2010,”
Poverty.

I glean from your post that you, a Leftist, are not espousing , “We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, and that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

See....confession is good for the soul.

Except for slaves, Indians, women, indentured servants, or anyone else that isn't a WASP.

Great words, but the FF fell a little short on the execution of those ideals.

Which of the Founders favored.....stood up for slavery?

That's right.....none.

Well, nine of the first eleven presidents owned human beings, the exceptions being the Adams. Even those that thought slavery was a moral wrong still refused to free their slaves for economic reasons (Washington and Jefferson, I'm looking right at you).

So which is worse, a Founder who owns a human because he thinks blacks really aren't the same as whites (Hamilton, Franklin, Mason, Madison, most everyone in the 1700s) or one that kind of thinks blacks deserve the same rights as whites when it comes to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness but won't free his because of the hit he'll take in the pocketbook?

This was the question:
Which of the Founders favored.....stood up for slavery?

As you have avoided the question, it must mean that you know that they worked assiduously to end same.

But...if you are ignorant of same....

1. Usually, the ‘Founders’ refers to these six: Madison, Jefferson and Washington, Adams, Hamilton, and Franklin.
    1. The three non-Southerners worked tirelessly against slavery.
    2. While reading Ron Chernow’s book Alexander Hamilton, though, I found out that Hamilton was a strong advocate for the abolition of slavery. During the 1780s, Hamilton was one of the founders of the New York Society for Promoting the Manumission of Slaves, which was instrumental in the abolition of slavery in the state of New York. After reading about Alexander Hamilton’s work for the New York Manumission Society, I gained a greater appreciation of Alexander Hamiltonhttp://angelolopez.wordpress.com/2011/06/10/alexander-hamilton-and-the-new-york-manumission-society/
    3. Many of the other Founding Fathers were activists like Alexander Hamilton. In 1787 Benjamin Franklin agree to serve as president of the Pennsylvania Abolition Society, which set out to abolish slavery and set up programs to help freed slaves to become good citizens and improve the conditions of free African Americans. On February 12, 1790, Benjamin Franklin and the Pennsylvania Abolition Society presented a petition to the House of Representatives calling for the federal government to take steps for the gradual abolition of slavery and end the slave trade. As a young lawyer, Thomas Jefferson represented a slave in court attempting to be set free and during the 1770s and 1780s, Jefferson had many several attempts to pass legislation to gradually abolish slavery and end the slave trade. John Jay was the first president of the New York Manumission Society and was active in Society’s efforts to abolish slavery. Ibid.
2. An excellent read on the matter is a brilliant book called Miracle in Philadelphia, by Catherine Drinker Bowen, which recounts the actual history and debates around the Constitutional Convention in 1787.

Slavery was a huge issue during that convention, and many of the Founding Fathers wanted it outlawed, but ran into an impasse after many hours of debate with the southern colonies whose agricultural productivity depended on it.

The Founders who wanted to set the stage for the abolition of slavery came up with a compromise involving the issue of apportionment.

The southern colonies that favored slavery wanted all residents of their states, slave and free, counted equally when it came to deciding how many seats they were going to receive in Congress. Some of the northern colonies, who mostly had few slaves and thus nothing to lose didn’t want slave residents counted at all.

The Founder’s compromise was to count each slave as 3/5 of a man for the purposes of apportionment, and when that passed after a great deal more debate and lobbying, legislators from the slave states were permanently limited to a minority. With that one stroke, the state was set for slavery’s eventual demise, and the proof of how effective it was came in 1804, when the slave states were powerless to stop Congress from outlawing the importation of slaves to the new nation.

The stage was set, even if it took 70 years and a bloody war.
Big Journalism Articles - Breitbart

Work hard to undo your indoctrination.

8. "Nor are human beings happiest when they’re taken care of by the state. Indeed, areas under the yoke of dependency on government are among the least joyous parts of our society. "

https://imprimisarchives.hillsdale.edu/file/archives/pdf/2013_05_Imprimis.pdf

a. Charles Murray’s “Losing Ground” documented this effect using social indicators such as work, marriage, legitimacy, crime, and alcohol and drug abuse, and showing how the massive increase in government welfare programs worsened the problem.

b. ‘Welfare’ as a wholly owned subsidiary of the government, and its main result is the incentivizing of a disrespect for oneself, and for the entity that provides the welfare. As more folks in a poor neighborhood languish with little or no work, entire local culture begins to change: daily work is no longer the expected social norm. Extended periods of hanging around the neighborhood, neither working nor going to school becoming more and more socially acceptable.

Since productive activity not making any economic sense because of the work disincentives of the welfare plantation, other kinds of activities proliferate: drug and alcohol abuse, crime, recreational sex, illegitimacy, and family breakup are the new social norms, as does the culture of violence.

From Peter Ferrara, “America’s Ticking Bankruptcy Bomb,” chapter five.

9. For Progressives, Liberals, their bureaucrats and 'experts' are best able to make decisions for the rest of us.

It's the central theme of 'the administrative state' that Woodrow Wilson, white supremacist and Progressive/Democrat President endorsed.

All of the rest of us....and we'd best recognize same, that they know what's good for everyone......or else!

Can the bureaucrats and technocrats, the 'experts' and career politicians, the collectivists, actually have the same understanding about the people as those who actually know them?

"I remember some time ago when former Texas Senator Phil Gramm was participating in a Senate hearing on socialized medicine, and the witness there explained that government would best take care of people. Senator Gramm gently demurred and said, “I care more about my family than anyone else does.”

And this wide-eyed witness said, “Oh no, Senator. I care as much about your children.”

Senator Gramm smiled and said, “Really? What are their names?” https://imprimisarchives.hillsdale.edu/file/archives/pdf/2013_05_Imprimis.pdf

The whole idea of "God-given" freedom is goofy. According to the standard biblical theology, "freedom" from the dictatorial Paradise is the result of Adam and Eve's original sin. Or if one is inclined to extra-biblical Christian beliefs, due to the rebellion of Satan among the Angels.

Unless of course one is a Deist...

God given rights is simply an argument that was utilized by the founders to counter the divine right of kings argument.

Right, right. They drew on Locke, the old Royal Censor, who knew the careful line to tread.

The whole idea of "God-given" freedom is goofy. According to the standard biblical theology, "freedom" from the dictatorial Paradise is the result of Adam and Eve's original sin. Or if one is inclined to extra-biblical Christian beliefs, due to the rebellion of Satan among the Angels.

Here is your abbreviated lesson on the Bible:

There are dolts who follow dictums of the French Revolution, replacing religion and morality with science and reason.
Such has proven to be far more than an unmitigated failure: it resulted in the millions upon millions slaughtered by communists, fascists, Nazis.....

Reason supports a lot of things, as for example, a very liberal position on abortion. If there is no God, "Love your neighbor as yourself" is just a good idea. That's why it is written, incidentally, in Leviticus, "Love your neighbor as yourself, I am God." I, God, tell you to be decent to other people.
Prager

I bet you haven't even read the Bible :rolleyes:

God given rights is simply an argument that was utilized by the founders to counter the divine right of kings argument.

Right, right. They drew on Locke, the old Royal Censor, who knew the careful line to tread.

Locke in those times tried to refute Robert Filmer Robert Filmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia who was a prominent advocate for the theory of the divine right of kings.
Because of the times they were in, it was pretty much a requirement that one's argument was a religious one.

There are dolts who follow dictums of the French Revolution, replacing religion and morality with science and reason.
Such has proven to be far more than an unmitigated failure: it resulted in the millions upon millions slaughtered by communists, fascists, Nazis.....

Reason supports a lot of things, as for example, a very liberal position on abortion. If there is no God, "Love your neighbor as yourself" is just a good idea. That's why it is written, incidentally, in Leviticus, "Love your neighbor as yourself, I am God." I, God, tell you to be decent to other people.
Prager

lol, but I bet she can cut and paste quotes from people who have.

Prager

Please don't expect me to educate you on religion on a daily basis.
Perhaps more on Sunday.

More appropriate in this thread......

There are two choices:

a. That of the Founders, individualism, free markets, and limited constitutional government, via the Constitution.

b. Leftists.....communists, Liberals,Progressives, whatever, offer the following:
collectivization, unquestioning lock-step adherence to government policies, over-regulation, and unlimited central command and control governance.....'

You pick.

Prager

Perhaps more on Sunday.

There are two choices:

a. That of the Founders, individualism, free markets, and limited constitutional government, via the Constitution.

b. Leftists.....communists, Liberals,Progressives, whatever, offer the following:
collectivization, unquestioning lock-step adherence to government policies, over-regulation, and unlimited central command and control governance.....'

You pick.

Typical PC straw man thread.

Prager

Perhaps more on Sunday.

There are two choices:

You pick.

Hmmmmm........I detect a palpable fear......a fear of answering this query.

There are two choices:

You pick.

Prager

Perhaps more on Sunday.

There are two choices:

You pick.
What free markets did the Founders allow to operate?

Prager

Perhaps more on Sunday.

There are two choices:

You pick.

There are two choices:

You pick.
Total redundancy, when you vomit it at least comes out different...Soo being a law breaker, does that make me a semi-communist..??

Prager

Perhaps more on Sunday.

There are two choices:

You pick.

There are two choices:

You pick.

Prager

Perhaps more on Sunday.

There are two choices:

You pick.

There are two choices:

You pick.
The Founders did not operate a free-trade market economy, maybe on the state level, but not at the federal level..
First thing they had to do was tax producers of goods, which meant that the consumer payed the tax....Tariffs were very popular then..
The country was young and limited govt. was the theme of the day, yet the Civil War fixed that, and the GOP led in centralization....

Prager

Perhaps more on Sunday.

There are two choices:

You pick.

There are two choices:

You pick.
The Founders did not operate a free-trade market economy, maybe on the state level, but not at the federal level..
First thing they had to do was tax producers of goods, which meant that the consumer payed the tax....Tariffs were very popular then..
The country was young and limited govt. was the theme of the day, yet the Civil War fixed that, and the GOP led in centralization....

See how neatly I've boiled the choices down for you?

It's simple, and binary.

Sooooo.....why the deep fear or answering?

There are two choices:

You pick

Prager

Perhaps more on Sunday.

There are two choices:

You pick.

There are two choices:

You pick.

There is a query in that fact free rant. You could have fooled me. If you have a question, try asking in the form of a question. I'll include an extra question mark here (?) so you can cut and paste it like a good little hack. :p

Prager

Perhaps more on Sunday.

There are two choices:

You pick.

There are two choices:

You pick.

There is a query in that fact free rant. You could have fooled me. If you have a question, try asking in the form of a question. I'll include an extra question mark here (?) so you can cut and paste it like a good little hack. :p

Clearly I scare the heck out of you!
Great!
But....really.......C'mon, now....stop shaking!

See how neatly I've boiled the choices down for you?

It's simple, and binary.

Sooooo.....why the deep fear or answering?

There are two choices:

You pick.

Then, defend your pick.

If you can.

Forum List

Back