The Manchurian President

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by masquerade, May 5, 2010.

1. masquerade

masquerade positivity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Members of the news media, including from publications such as Time and Newsweek, have reacted harshly to the announcement of the No. 1 non-fiction book in America, which investigates President Obama, with multiple reporters sending expletive-laden e-mails to the author's publicist saying they did not want to receive a copy.

Sliwa noted that when reporters are not interested in her releases, they normally do not reply. She said in her 10 years of working in public relations, she never has received the kind of response from reporters provoked by publicizing "The Manchurian President."

She said her goal in publicly exposing the e-mail responses to "Manchurian" is not to embarrass the journalists, but she believes it is important to "call them out on their duty as members of the press to leave their biases where they belong – at the door."

The Article

So, instead of reading the book and rebutting it with facts and documentation, many in the media decided to ignore it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. LuckyDan

LuckyDan Sublime

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +609
    This WH does not take criticism well. I don't know if the book is factual or not, but my guess is some journalists want to publicly trash it - even prior to publication - to remain in favor with the administration.

From the article, there doesn't seem to be anything all that new. Ties to radicals? Who'd a thunk it?

3. tommywho70x

tommywho70x BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    manchurian? i thought he was kenyan:tongue:

4. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    While I agree that the media should remain neutral, this woman has still got some guts. If you work in P.R. the last thing you generally want to do is lecture the media on their integrity.

That said, I hadn't heard about this book and now I have. P.R.

I guess she's doing a great job publicizing this book but she may find her relationship with the media is permanently soured, which does not bode well for her future career. Brave decision.

5. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    It appears we were putting up this story at the same time, Masquerade. Hope you don't mind the additional information I have provided in another thread.

Aqua*

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Nice PR strategy. Brilliant!! My respect to Sliwa. Gotta admire the tactic of using the media's reluctance to cover the book as her strategy. I like that.

I await, with interest, the reaction of the White House to the details in the book.

7. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Actually, it's a stroke of genius. She's turned a negative into a huge positive and slapped the media at the same time. Kudos to her. And..... she's a liberal! That had to hurt her political mindset but she acted in the best interest of her client.

More than that, she's right. The media have - again - chosen political allegiance over their role as unbiased reporters.

8. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    Well snap. Now I have to read this book!

9. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,085
    I have more contempt for the media than I do this administration because they have promoted an environment which would facilitate such radical transformation of our government.

10. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Uh oh, does Ann Coulter know she's got some competition?

Here's a hint, people: There are ALWAYS books savaging a sitting president. Why would this one (nay, ESPECIALLY this one) be any different?

Did all the books "exposing" Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, George W. Bush, and even Ronald Reagan really affect their positions or popularity? Nope.