I have never forgotten you.

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Dante, May 6, 2010.

1. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    I Have Never Forgotten You: The Life & Legacy of Simon Wiesenthal (2007)

USC Shoah Foundation Interview, 1997
    "It was on May 5th, at 10 o'clock in the morning." "Even beforehand, we knew that it was going to happen." "We had not gotten any food for the last few days. Nothing." "Prisoners were crawling out of the 'Death Block' and ate grass that grew (thumb and forefinger slightly apart) only this high. And so did I." (looks away...) "And then an American tank appeared. I went out and wanted to get to the tank." "After a couple of steps on all fours...all I could see was the American flag." -Simon Wiessenthal

Colonel Richard Seibel, 1907-1999
    Commander, US 11th Armored Division-

(sighs heavily) "It was something that I had never hoped in my life, to see, or experience." "I was shocked, really and truly shocked...to see these dead people lying around in piles like wood, if you will...and others so sick and so weak they were truly walking zombies..."

---

I started to tear up at the mention of Wiessenthal being on all fours and looking up at the American flag.

2. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    The Americans put a Polish Communist in charge of permits for entering and leaving the former camp...what transpires is truly horrible. But Mr. Wiessenthal moves on...

the rest is history.

3. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    A book I picked up ages ago. I had no idea how profoundly it would change my life, but change my life it did.

The Theory and Practice of Hell: The German Concentration Camps and the System Behind Them
    Eugen Kogon

I think it was the first detailed book on the system...I think it was paid for by the Allies, and Kogon was not a Jew...not that it should matter, but when i would tell people about the book, the fact that Kogon was not a Jew, got people to be more open to what he had written. odd, eh? Oh yeah, Kogon became a German politician...I know he was an anti-Nazi activist before his camp days. Union of Persecutees of the Nazi Regime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,394
    See?

GAY.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    You have no class and no respect. You would soil the memory of the millions who perished just to score cheap points against me? shame on you!

6. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,720
    There are some who believe Simon Wiesenthal was little more than a glib con man who capitalized on his experience in the camps by imaginatively pandering to worldwide curiosity about that ugly piece of history and making the most of it.

The following is excerpted from a Daily Mail (U.K.) article:

[...]

"TV programmes and movies were made, and soon Wiesenthal became a household name, a symbol for the triumph of hope over evil.

Those who thrilled at his life story can now do so once more, thanks to a new biography written by the Israeli historian Tom Segev.

The figure who emerges in the book is far more complex than one might expect. Dr Segev shows that so much of Wiesenthal’s account of his life was the product of exaggeration and self-mythologising.

Appearing on Radio 4’s Today programme this week, the author said Wiesenthal was ‘a storyteller, a man who lived between reality and fantasy’.

He excused Wiesenthal’s inclination to fabricate stories about his past,saying it was his way of making it easier to deal with the real atrocities he had experienced in the concentration camps. I’m sorry, but this compassionate approach simply does not wash with me. For the truth is that the great Nazi hunter is far, far worse than Dr Segev makes out.

In my view, Simon Wiesenthal was a liar and a fraud. In fact, I’d go so far as to say he was one of the biggest conmen of the 20th century.

I spent four years working on a history of Nazi-hunting that was published last year, and the material I gathered on Wiesenthal was enough to make me scream out loud.

When I started my book, I too believed that the great man was just that — great.

But when I looked at all his memoirs, biographies and original archive material, I realised that, like so many others, the image I had built up of Simon Wiesenthal was hopelessly incorrect."

[...]

Why I believe the king of the Nazi hunters, Simon Wiesenthal, was a fraud | Mail Online

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    boring, I think the WW2 Nazi war criminal hunting days are gone. They have either been caught or died.

8. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    :cuckoo:

been there, done that.

next

9. R.C. Christian

R.C. Christian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings: