The Magnificent LeMahieu

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
On a team of exemplary baseball players, picking the best Yankee is a Sisyphean task.

But, of course, I'm up to it.

With a ton of homerun hitters last season, what the Yanks needed was that contact hitter who could capitalize on runners in scoring position.

Cashman picked up DJ LeMahieu for $12 mil a year for two years.

A gold glove 2nd basemen, this gem is a star at every base.
And....can be counted on like no other with RISP.
"LeMahieu, batting .342 at the top of the Yankees order and the top of the AL." (NYPost)

But here is one more stat where LeMahieu shines.....W.A.R.

"Wins Above Replacement (WAR) is an attempt by the sabermetric baseball community to summarize a player's total contributions to their team in one statistic. You should always use more than one metric at a time when evaluating players, butWAR is all-inclusive and provides a useful reference point for comparing players."
What is WAR? | Sabermetrics Library - FanGraphs Library
What is WAR? | Sabermetrics Library

Sanchez, best offensive output for a catcher, is 2.4
Gleyber Torres is 2.7.
2019 New York Yankees Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

LeMahieu is ........

To underscore his importance, in the baseball business, each W.A.R. point translates to a value of $8 million.

So, DJ....being paid $12 million/year, brings a value of over $32 million to the NY Yankees.
What a bargain!

My man!

When batters put the ball in play, the batting average is .300

That's what the Yanks lacked last year, leaving far too many base runner without scoring.

Enter LeMahieu.....

He had 45 hits in the month of June....

"His 45 hits were the most in a calendar month since Derek Jeter had 46 in August of 2009. LeMahieu also matched Jeter in becoming the fastest Yankee to 100 hits since The Captain in 2012, both doing so in the 80th game of the season."
DJ LeMahieu named AL Player of the Month

OH, WOW!!!!

Yanks, playing the Rays.....ahead 3-1 in the 9th......Chapman blows the lead....tenth inning, 3-3!!!!

Tenth inning.....bases loaded......guess who comes up: LeMahieu!!!

Hits a two run double!!!!!

Game ends with a Yankee win, in the tenth inning.....5-4!

Wadda I tell you about LeMahieu!!!!

But....I started this thread before the game.....so...I deserve some of the credit for the win, don't I?

No player has ever won a batting title in both leagues.

Guess who has a good chance to do that this year.

On a team of exemplary baseball players, picking the best Yankee is a Sisyphean task.

With a ton of homerun hitters last season, what the Yanks needed was that contact hitter who could capitalize on runners in scoring position.

"LeMahieu, batting .342 at the top of the Yankees order and the top of the AL." (NYPost)

"Wins Above Replacement (WAR) is an attempt by the sabermetric baseball community to summarize a player's total contributions to their team in one statistic. You should always use more than one metric at a time when evaluating players, butWAR is all-inclusive and provides a useful reference point for comparing players."

Gleyber Torres is 2.7.

LeMahieu is ........

To underscore his importance, in the baseball business, each W.A.R. point translates to a value of $8 million.

So, DJ....being paid $12 million/year, brings a value of over $32 million to the NY Yankees.
What a bargain!

My man!

The one Cubs player ( besides Tommy LaStella ) I wish the Cubs had kept...

Just a sparkplug type player...

Gleyber Torres is 2.7.

LeMahieu is ........

What a bargain!

My man!

I can point out lots of mistakes the Yanks have made .....Sonny Gray, Ellsbury, and more.....but what a signing this guy has turned into!!!!

Gleyber Torres is 2.7.

LeMahieu is ........

What a bargain!

My man!

I can point out lots of mistakes the Yanks have made .....Sonny Gray, Ellsbury, and more.....but what a signing this guy has turned into!!!!
Cashman had a habit of going after players that had beaten us. ARod, Tex, Roger Clemens. And some ones that didn't work out -- Ells, as you point out is the worst example. But a lot of people past their prime -- Johnny Damon, Randy Johnson. On the fence about Giambi.

He seems to have gotten over that but for awhile it appeared to be his acquisition strategy.

LeMahieu is such a superb addition that I marvel. Luke Voit was a pretty good stealth pickup too.

Gleyber Torres is 2.7.

LeMahieu is ........

What a bargain!

My man!

Cashman had a habit of going after players that had beaten us. ARod, Tex, Roger Clemens. And some ones that didn't work out -- Ells, as you point out is the worst example. But a lot of people past their prime -- Johnny Damon, Randy Johnson. On the fence about Giambi.

He seems to have gotten over that but for awhile it appeared to be his acquisition strategy.

LeMahieu is such a superb addition that I marvel. Luke Voit was a pretty good stealth pickup too.

Pretty sure Damon hit 20 HRs a year for us.....

Gleyber Torres is 2.7.

LeMahieu is ........

What a bargain!

My man!

Pretty sure Damon hit 20 HRs a year for us.....
He did. I should put him in the earlier category -- the ones that worked out.

Sooo.....first game back......fifth inning.....Gardner hits a triple.

Guess who gets up with runner in scoring position....and gets the runner in.....

C'mon....guess.

Forum List

Back