The Lowdown on Electric Cars

There's that patented CON$ervative dumb act.

The more people producing their own energy the more this reduces the demand for energy resources which keeps the price down for those energy resources consumed by non-producers like you saving you MONEY. You are also FREE to set up your own solar or wind system.

Funny how you tout the supply and demand cycle to prove a point when it works in your favor. Unfortunately, energy doesn't work that way, because it is a public regulated utility, and does not respond to supply and demand cycles the way a free market does. Add in the requirement that any utility is required to purchase electricity from you at the same rate they would charge you for it, thus further eroding the free market that you are trying to champion, and their profit margin actually goes down the more people generate electricity. This leads me, not being conversant with all the numbers, and having your infinite supply of wisdom, to think that this might actually drive my cost of electricity up even higher than it would be if I did not subsidize your solar panels.

Here is another surprise for you, just to prove that you are wrong about something. Many people are not free to install solar power, and almost no one can install wind turbines. Homeowner associations and local zoning ordinances often interfere with the ability of a property owner to utilize practical, yet unsightly and/or noisy, innovations like this. This is a direct result of liberal policies to preserve views and historical values of neighborhoods. I am sure you will blame all of this in conservatives again, and I look forward to seeing you do so.
So, supply and demand does not apply to energy resources. :cuckoo: So I guess you will say that the "drill here, drill now, pay less" crap was just GOP propaganda. :lol:

Of course it was. It would take at least 10 years for any benefit from drill now to make it into the economy.

That said, I did not say it did not apply to energy, I said it did not apply to electricity. To be precise, it does not apply to electricity supplied through the national grid. those cost are regulated through various government agencies, and does not respond well to supply and demand forces. This explains why you see rolling brownouts during peak usage hours, and why utilities are trying to roll out smart meters in larger markets.

The only way to completely separate from the grid is to have a battery system, which you said you wouldn't use either, so yes you are a stupid moron who never heard of plug adapters.

Where did I say that?

e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edgeFrom the link I already posted:

Off-Grid Solar Panel Systems are typically expensive because of their need for battery backups, charge controllers, and to provide 100% of your home energy needs, with accommodations made for cloudy weather and spikes in demand
[/quote]

In other words, they are expensive because they do not work, got it.

EVs can also be charged from home solar panels and wind generators. Thin film solar panels have brought the price down and Obama offers a 30% tax rebate for installing solar panels. Of course, if the CON$ take over Congress that will probably be one of the first things they will kill.
Technology is dynamic, constantly changing, but CON$ervatism is static, stuck in the past.

The issue is previous technological improvements resulted in less work being done for a given task. Cars replaced horses, replacing feed, stabling, excrement cleanup and veterinary care, which was more expensive than gas, and maintenance. Rerigerators replaced ice boxes, replacing the need to have ice delivered, as well as increasing storage size.

The problem with current evironmental technological upgrades is they appear to create MORE work than the original item they are replacing. The benefit is not apparent, but some amorphous concept such as "saving the planet."

It isnt the politics, its the fact you are asking people to do more, with increased technology and cost, than what they had before.
Solar panels pay for themselves in a few years depending on the price of electricity in the area, and afterward provide a positive cash flow.
Try again.
Sorry Ed, you are mistaken. I sell Solar to heavy industrial users in California and Arizona - even with massive government rebates - the minimum payback period is 10-12 years. Take away the gov't kickbacks and the payback period is 25-30 years. That is the real deal, not from the "marketing dept" of a solar manufacturer.

I'd love to see Solar be more viable. We need a major technological breakthrough for that to happen......

The only way to completely separate from the grid is to have a battery system, which you said you wouldn't use either, so yes you are a stupid moron who never heard of plug adapters.

Where did I say that?
There's that dumb act again. Now you are too dumb to know what you posted.

That is still not what you said. Why do you have to keep changing the parameters. Simple question, my solar panel does not plug into a grid, nor does it charge a battery. How long will it take me to charge my EV with it? Keep in mind that that EV requires a special plug that I do not have on my solar panel.

Your claim was I could do it, which would imply that I can do it without all that extra gear that you are now throwing at me. Why are you making this more work? I thought this was supposed to be simple.

Where did I say that?

That is still not what you said. Why do you have to keep changing the parameters. Simple question, my solar panel does not plug into a grid, nor does it charge a battery. How long will it take me to charge my EV with it? Keep in mind that that EV requires a special plug that I do not have on my solar panel.

Your claim was I could do it, which would imply that I can do it without all that extra gear that you are now throwing at me. Why are you making this more work? I thought this was supposed to be simple.

I did say what you quoted, and I do not deny that. However, that does not say I would not use a battery system. I was actually mocking your assertion that I could plug my EV (which I do not have) into a solar panel to charge it, when you then changed to say it would only work if I had it charge a battery first.

I might be a bit confused about all of this, but I am pretty sure that if I use a solar panel to charge a battery, which I then use to charge another battery, I will about as inefficient as it is possible to get. That is why I think your explanation of the process is stupid, but I enjoy watching people twist when they get hung up in their own words, especially when they think they are showing someone else up while making themselves look foolish in the process.

Where did I say that?

I did say what you quoted, and I do not deny that. However, that does not say I would not use a battery system. I was actually mocking your assertion that I could plug my EV (which I do not have) into a solar panel to charge it, when you then changed to say it would only work if I had it charge a battery first.

I might be a bit confused about all of this, but I am pretty sure that if I use a solar panel to charge a battery, which I then use to charge another battery, I will about as inefficient as it is possible to get. That is why I think your explanation of the process is stupid, but I enjoy watching people twist when they get hung up in their own words, especially when they think they are showing someone else up while making themselves look foolish in the process.
well, there you go again. Show me where I said you charge a battery first.

This is what I love about CON$, when they are dead wrong, they just play dumb and make crap up. :cuckoo:

Because you know nothing about solar energy, or even plug adapters, YOU assumed a car would be connected directly to the solar panels when charging and now YOU assume a battery gets charged first. The fact remains that the solar system connects to the grid and you would charge the car EXACTLY the same as if you had no solar panels.

But do continue to enjoy watching your foolish self. :lol:

Hey Dumbass, The solar panels plug into the grid. The grid is your "battery" storing the electricity you produce. The car is then charged from the grid. You don't plug the car into the solar panels, moron.

Like I've shown so many times, CON$ always play dumb rather than admit they are wrong. They also claim they are the most informed people on Earth. :cuckoo:

Is it my fault you are too stupid to know how to use a solar system???

And don't try to claim you are not STUPID! You are too stupid to know that there are adapters that will convert all kinds of plugs, as well as AC to DC and hookups to batteries and/or the grid.

Dang you are a moron!

And nowhere did I say you connect the car directly to the solar panel, that was YOUR Straw Man. If you are truly so ignorant of how solar systems work, that's one thing, but don't project your stupidity onto me.

Nope you would still be the moron here Ed. Let's take my families application. We have a cabin in the woods, not connected to a grid. For power we use a bank of 8 series parralleled 6 volt, 220 amp hour batteries, for 12 volts of 880 amp hours. To charge this system we use a generator connected to an inverter. While the cabin is not occupied, we have installed a small solar panel to keep the batteries topped off. The solar panel, by itself, is simply not capable of keeping up with amperage demands while we are using the cabin. Normally that's just a couple lights and a refrigerator.

What is being asked is can a solar panel system provide the same charging capability as a traditional charging system plugged into a grid. The answer is simply, no. A solar panel is not capable of the consistant amperage output that a grid or even a generator/inverter system (essentially a mini gas powered power plant) is capable of.

I don't know what you know or don't know about charging systems, but the fact that any discussion about amperage output of one charging system vs. another is rather telling. Because that is really what needs to be measured. Amps are the essentially like how many gallons of gas do you have to work with in the electric powered world. And they are essentially the limiting factor that makes wholly electric powered anything very impractical. Using some other resource to meet the average household or car amperage needs is extremely difficult because they require a lot of amps to run and the storage devices for those amps (batteries) simply aren't large enough for most people to make it practical.

Last edited:

This is what I love about CON$, when they are dead wrong, they just play dumb and make crap up. :cuckoo:

Because you know nothing about solar energy, or even plug adapters, YOU assumed a car would be connected directly to the solar panels when charging and now YOU assume a battery gets charged first. The fact remains that the solar system connects to the grid and you would charge the car EXACTLY the same as if you had no solar panels.

I asked about charging my EV at night, and you mentioned batteries. How does that not involve charging the battery first? Do they have batteries that can supply power before they have a charge?

You are the one making the assumptions here. You continually assume you know my politics, and that you can read my mind. You cannot even read English, so I have no idea why you think you can read my mind.

I happen to know enough about solar power that I know your assertion that it takes no longer to charge an EV plugged into a solar panel takes no longer than one plugged into the electrical grid is ridiculous. (You are the one that claimed you could plug one into the other, which is interesting in itself as you cannot even plug an EV into a normal home.) Unless you have a large array of panels there is no way to generate enough current to charge the battery of the EV.

Is it my fault you are too stupid to know how to use a solar system???

And don't try to claim you are not STUPID! You are too stupid to know that there are adapters that will convert all kinds of plugs, as well as AC to DC and hookups to batteries and/or the grid.

Dang you are a moron!

And nowhere did I say you connect the car directly to the solar panel, that was YOUR Straw Man. If you are truly so ignorant of how solar systems work, that's one thing, but don't project your stupidity onto me.

Nope you would still be the moron here Ed. Let's take my families application. We have a cabin in the woods, not connected to a grid. For power we use a bank of 8 series parralleled 6 volt, 220 amp hour batteries, for 12 volts of 880 amp hours. To charge this system we use a generator connected to an inverter. While the cabin is not occupied, we have installed a small solar panel to keep the batteries topped off. The solar panel, by itself, is simply not capable of keeping up with amperage demands while we are using the cabin. Normally that's just a couple lights and a refrigerator.

What is being asked is can a solar panel system provide the same charging capability as a traditional charging system plugged into a grid. The answer is simply, no. A solar panel is not capable of the consistant amperage output that a grid or even a generator/inverter system (essentially a mini gas powered power plant) is capable of.

I don't know what you know or don't know about charging systems, but the fact that any discussion about amperage output of one charging system vs. another is rather telling. Because that is really what needs to be measured. Amps are the essentially like how many gallons of gas do you have to work with in the electric powered world. And they are essentially the limiting factor that makes wholly electric powered anything very practical. Using some other resource to meet the average household or car amperage needs is extremely difficult because they require a lot of amps to run and the storage devices for those amps (batteries) simply aren't large enough for most people to make it practical.
AHHH yes, the brilliance of CON$ervative "logic," because one "small solar panel" can't top off your battery, no "solar SYSTEM" can be designed to meet any electrical need. :cuckoo:

There is no limit to the number of solar panels you can use to charge your battery. If the ONE you have is not enough, get more!!!! DUH

Any amperage can be achieved with solar panels and the "average household" is not off grid and therefore does not need batteries with a grid-tied SYSTEM.

From a link already posted:

Solar panels can be wired in series or in parallel to increase voltage or amperage respectively, and they can be wired both in series and in parallel to increase both volts and amps. Series wiring refers to connecting the positive terminal of one panel to the negative terminal of another. The resulting outer positive and negative terminals will produce voltage the sum of the two panels, but the amperage stays the same as one panel. So two 12 volt/3.5 amp panels wired in series produces 24 volts at 3.5 amps. Four of these wired in series would produce 48 volts at 3.5 amps. Parallel wiring refers to connecting positive terminals to positive terminals and negative to negative. The result is that voltage stays the same, but amperage becomes the sum of the number of panels. So two 12 volt/3.5 amp panels wired in parallel would produce 12 volts at 7 amps. Four panels would produce 12 volts at 14 amps.

Series/parallel wiring refers to doing both of the above - increasing volts and amps to achieve the desired voltage as in 24 or 48 volt systems.

I asked about charging my EV at night, and you mentioned batteries. How does that not involve charging the battery first? Do they have batteries that can supply power before they have a charge?

You are the one making the assumptions here. You continually assume you know my politics, and that you can read my mind. You cannot even read English, so I have no idea why you think you can read my mind.

I happen to know enough about solar power that I know your assertion that it takes no longer to charge an EV plugged into a solar panel takes no longer than one plugged into the electrical grid is ridiculous. (You are the one that claimed you could plug one into the other, which is interesting in itself as you cannot even plug an EV into a normal home.) Unless you have a large array of panels there is no way to generate enough current to charge the battery of the EV.
Notice the difference, when you denied saying you won't use a battery with your solar panel, I POSTED your own post where you said it, but you have yet to post anything YOU claim I said.

Day or night, in a grid-tied solar system an EV will charge just as fast as any household connected to the grid without a solar system because they are both charged from the grid! DUH!!!
The only difference is, when the sun is shining and your grid-tied solar system is producing more energy than you are using your meter runs backwards and in a non-solar household the meter never runs backwards.

Solar panels pay for themselves in a few years depending on the price of electricity in the area, and afterward provide a positive cash flow.
Try again.

FedTheSpinach has also been fed the other green stuff, i.e. green jobs, green solutions...

And he bought it like it was on sale!

1. Solar panels are used almost entirely to heat swimming pools,...

2. Wind and solar solutions are minimal and intermittent at best, and come with their own problems, very much like FedTheSpinach.

3. I wrote the OP, in part, so one can calculate the costs and problems associated with EV's, and to indicate the reasons why a) folks will not accept the concepts, and b) this administration is done for; also similar to the lifestory of FedTheSpinach!

Based on US Department of Energy, sources of energy used in the US:
39.2% petroleum, 23.3% natural gas, 22.4% coal, 8.3% nuclear, 3.6% biomass, 2.4% hydroelectric, 0.35% geothermal, 0.31% wind, 0.08% solar.

Green math: solar panels to save 50% on your electric bills? Well, if the average electric bill is about $100/mos, the savings is $600/ year! But solar costs 30-40 K, so it takes about 58 years to start saving money. But…solar panels are projected to last 20-30 years. So, savings? Not so much.

How about hybrid cars? About 15 yrs to payback. (19 yrs for the Volt.)

And, the joke in the original article, is that the electricity needed for the EV's is generated by coal-fired plants. Save the environment???

FedTheSpinach= comedy gold!
PoliticalCheek=disinformatrion gold!

This example is for the more expensive pre-thin film solar panels.

New Jersey solar power and solar energy rebates, tax credits, and incentives. Cost breakdown for photovoltaic panels and solar water heaters

EXAMPLE RESIDENTIAL SOLAR INSTALLATION
So let’s give an example of an average 5kW (5000 watt DC) system, which takes care of 89% of your electricity needs of a $100/month bill. Also, let’s assume you’re a good green person and you do the energy audit as you should. As of this writing, you’re going to pay around $7/watt installed cost. What does that mean for this example?
Cost Before Incentives: $35,000 (5000watts x $7/watt) (Don’t panic!)
State Rebate: subtract $8,750
SREC value: subtract $3400/year for 2009 (probably less as years go by)
30% Federal tax credit: subtract $7875 (calculated after State rebate)
Years to Payback: 8-9 years, depending on SREC value.

To apply to my comparison, you cannot use state/federal incentives, as they mitigate the true cost of using the technology. People didnt need goverment incetives to switch from horses to cars, or from iceboxes to refrigerators, they just did.

AHHH yes, the brilliance of CON$ervative "logic," because one "small solar panel" can't top off your battery, no "solar SYSTEM" can be designed to meet any electrical need. :cuckoo:

Because I disagree with you I'm a conservative? Good to know I'm dealing with a rationale person at least. There aren't any politics involved in this discussion. It's fact based objective science. You have shown you are NOT an objective person, in the fact that you can't answer a simple question honestly: Does a solar panel (or many) ALONE, have the ability to charge a battery as effectively as a device hooked to power supply, whether that be a grid or a generator?

There is no limit to the number of solar panels you can use to charge your battery. If the ONE you have is not enough, get more!!!! DUH

Any amperage can be achieved with solar panels and the "average household" is not off grid and therefore does not need batteries with a grid-tied SYSTEM.

All of the solar panels on earth tied together can't do shit on a cloudy day, which we had three in a row of while I was there. On top of that I work in a business that deals specifically with electric motors, so I know what I am talking about. There is no political conspiracy afoot here. Non-fossil based energy simply is not as reliable or efficient as fossil based energy.

Notice the difference, when you denied saying you won't use a battery with your solar panel, I POSTED your own post where you said it, but you have yet to post anything YOU claim I said.

Day or night, in a grid-tied solar system an EV will charge just as fast as any household connected to the grid without a solar system because they are both charged from the grid! DUH!!!
The only difference is, when the sun is shining and your grid-tied solar system is producing more energy than you are using your meter runs backwards and in a non-solar household the meter never runs backwards.

No, you posted something where I said I do not have a battery on my system, not one where I said I do will not use one. On the other hand, I have posted quotes where you did say what you said.

You did not mention anything about a gird tied system initially, and we are not discussing that. We are discussing a hypothetical system that is not tied to a grid. If it is tied to a grid, the solar panel is not charging the EV, the grid is. The grid does not supplement the solar panels in a grid tied system, because the grid is larger and has more available power, the panels supplement the grid.

Why are you running around acting like I am not the one who understands how this works?

Because I disagree with you I'm a conservative? Good to know I'm dealing with a rationale person at least. There aren't any politics involved in this discussion. It's fact based objective science. You have shown you are NOT an objective person, in the fact that you can't answer a simple question honestly: Does a solar panel (or many) ALONE, have the ability to charge a battery as effectively as a device hooked to power supply, whether that be a grid or a generator?

All of the solar panels on earth tied together can't do shit on a cloudy day, which we had three in a row of while I was there. On top of that I work in a business that deals specifically with electric motors, so I know what I am talking about. There is no political conspiracy afoot here. Non-fossil based energy simply is not as reliable or efficient as fossil based energy.

Now you know why I call him edthepartisanhack, he apparently thinks cynic means Democrat.

I'm not going to be satisfied until there's an electric airplane.

And Al Gore is on it.........:eusa_whistle:

"I mean Stevie Ray Vaughn is dead and we can't get Jon Bon Jovi on a Helicopter"

your post made me think of this for some reason.

You post made me think of an electric train:

AF-1953-Cover.afD1714.jpg

Hey Dimbulb, the modern freight train is electrically driven. The diesel motor drives a generator.

Complete and total bullshit. There are many panels out there right now that will produce a tiny current when you shine a flashlight on them. Yes, the older silicon panels have a definite cutoff point. But that is old tech.

What I find interesting here is that the Conservatives, who claim to love liberty and independence, are all stating that the idea of someone producing their own power for their home and fuel for their transportation is a bad idea and can't and shouldn't be done.

Such dingbat claims such as one solar panel won't power my cabin. Well, a one cylinder Briggs and Stratton engine will not power my automobile. So, by your logic, an ICE is obviously incapable of supplying power for transportation.

Now, the battery technology is getting better every day, and there are places that see what the future will be.

ReVolt announces plans to develop rechargable batteries in Portland | OregonLive.com

Welcome to Portland, ReVolt!" Adams enthused in the company's press release. "As a company on the cutting edge of the electric-vehicle industry, ReVolt is bringing to Portland its commitment to innovation and Portland is one step further down the road to being America's EV hub."

ReVolt is "joining a bright, collaborative and exciting business community, and creating great jobs for our talented workforce," the mayor said.

Zinc-air batteries create an electrical current through a chemical reaction between zinc and the oxygen in air.

The company says that by using zinc, a globally-abundant industrial mineral, ReVolt's rechargeable batteries offer up to triple the energy density of lithium-ion batteries - at a significantly lower price. ReVolt's zinc-air batteries pose no risks during operation, the company says, making them well-suited for vehicle applications. When fully depleted, the batteries degrade into environmentally-benign compounds.

No, you posted something where I said I do not have a battery on my system, not one where I said I do will not use one. On the other hand, I have posted quotes where you did say what you said.

You did not mention anything about a gird tied system initially, and we are not discussing that. We are discussing a hypothetical system that is not tied to a grid. If it is tied to a grid, the solar panel is not charging the EV, the grid is. The grid does not supplement the solar panels in a grid tied system, because the grid is larger and has more available power, the panels supplement the grid.

Why are you running around acting like I am not the one who understands how this works?

This is funny. If I have a system that puts less power on the grid than I use, from my perspective, then I am supplementing the grid power with that system. However, if my system put out more power than I use, then the grid is a supplement to my system.

Photovoltaic solar puts out it's power only during the day. However, that happens to be the time of peak demand. Not only that, but often there is little use of residential power during that time, while the industrial demand is peaking. With electric vehicles, most would be charging at night, when demand is lowest, so the efficient use of the grid would be improved with a combination of a lot of residential solar and electric vehicles.

Forum List

Back