The Lowdown on Electric Cars

EVs can also be charged from home solar panels and wind generators. Thin film solar panels have brought the price down and Obama offers a 30% tax rebate for installing solar panels. Of course, if the CON$ take over Congress that will probably be one of the first things they will kill.
Technology is dynamic, constantly changing, but CON$ervatism is static, stuck in the past.
How long would it take to achieve a full charge with solar panels and/or wind generators, if a Volt takes "about 4 hours on a 220-volt outlet or about 10 hours on a standard 110" volt power source charging continously?

Edthepartisanhack speaks again.

How long would it take to charge an EV like the Volt using a small rooftop solar panel, or a wind turbine? Simply stating something is possible does not make it practical.
It would take EXACTLY the same time to recharge as plugging into the grid!!!!!!

I love CON$ervative "logic," Because CON$ are ignorant I must be wrong. BRILLIANT

In a Grid-Tied system when your panels are producing electricity your meter runs backwards and when they are not your meter runs forward, so if during the time you are charging your car the panels are not producing enough electricity, the grid makes up the difference.

New Jersey Grid Tie Solar Electric - Solar Energy How-to-Guide Directoy

Grid-Tie Solar Electric System Advantages!

There are several key advantages that a Grid-Tie Solar Electric System holds over Off-Grid-Tie Solar Electric Systems – many of them financial, and they can make a significant impact in shortening the payback period and the overall return on investment of a Grid-Tie Solar Electric System.

System Size Flexibility – with a Grid-Tie Solar Electric System, you can choose to have your Solar Panel System offset any percentage of your electrical usage that you would like, or that your budget will allow. Unlike an Off-Grid Solar Electric System, which requires you to size for 100% of your energy demand, a Grid-Tie Solar Electric System can be sized to offset 1%, 50%, 100%, or any other percentage you wish. This allows you to keep the cost of your Grid-Tie Solar Electric System within your budget.

Take Advantage of Net-Metering Laws – one of the greatest financial benefits of Grid-Tie Solar Electric Systems in New Jersey is the state’s Net-Metering Laws. Essentially, Net-Metering means that you can sell the electricity generated by your Grid-Tie Solar Electric System back to the electric company at the same retail you purchase your electricity for. In other words, if you do not use all of the energy generated by your Solar Panel System, the excess will automatically be sent back onto the electric grid, where the electric company will distribute it to their other customers. All of this excess energy will be credited to your electric bill at the end of every month, and a refund check will be mailed to you at the end of the year if you contribute more electricity than you use.

Consistent, Uninterrupted Backup – Because you are still connected to the electric grid, you can use electricity like normal anytime you need to. If it is cloudy outside, or at night, and your Grid-Tie Solar Electric System is not producing energy, you can use electricity from the electric grid to meet your demand. This eliminates the need for expensive battery backups and backup generators (though these can also be added to a Grid-Tie Solar Electric System).

Amazing. that, however, does not cover the specific question I asked, does it? There is a major difference into plugging an EV into a grid tied sloar panel or wind turbine, and plugging it into either, or both, of those directly. Your claim was we could charge our EV by plugging it into either of those.

We can charge that EV during the night on even when there is no wind by plugging it into the grid and have it available for the next day. Will that work if we plug it into a solar panel? Or a Windmill? Or will we have to sit around and hope the wind kicks up, and miss out commute the next day while we wait for the sun to charge our car? Plugging it into grid tied solar panel or windmill is the same as plugging it into a grid, we just might save money on that particular charge.

The answer to my question is simple, it depends. Since you spouted nonsense instead of being honest you proved that you deserve your name. Edthepartisanhack wins the argument by changing the parameters.
Hey Dumbass, The solar panels plug into the grid. The grid is your "battery" storing the electricity you produce. The car is then charged from the grid. You don't plug the car into the solar panels, moron.

Like I've shown so many times, CON$ always play dumb rather than admit they are wrong. They also claim they are the most informed people on Earth. :cuckoo:

When do the taxpayers get paid back for their investment, which is the only thing that allows your projected 10 year payback estimate to work?
Every time they pay an energy related bill tax payers will save money from the reduced demand for energy.

How does that work?

If I pay my energy bills, and then pay yours also, how is it that I save money? I see how you save money, but what do I get out of it again?
There's that patented CON$ervative dumb act.

The more people producing their own energy the more this reduces the demand for energy resources which keeps the price down for those energy resources consumed by non-producers like you saving you MONEY. You are also FREE to set up your own solar or wind system.

EVs can also be charged from home solar panels and wind generators. Thin film solar panels have brought the price down and Obama offers a 30% tax rebate for installing solar panels. Of course, if the CON$ take over Congress that will probably be one of the first things they will kill.
Technology is dynamic, constantly changing, but CON$ervatism is static, stuck in the past.
How long would it take to achieve a full charge with solar panels and/or wind generators, if a Volt takes "about 4 hours on a 220-volt outlet or about 10 hours on a standard 110" volt power source charging continously?
There is that never ending CON$ervative Dumb Act.

This was already answered, but I'll do it again since you don't seem to understand what "exactly the same" means.

4 hours on a 220-volt outlet and 10 hours on 110.

Hey Dumbass, The solar panels plug into the grid. The grid is your "battery" storing the electricity you produce. The car is then charged from the grid. You don't plug the car into the solar panels, moron.

Like I've shown so many times, CON$ always play dumb rather than admit they are wrong. They also claim they are the most informed people on Earth. :cuckoo:

That is still not what you said. Why do you have to keep changing the parameters. Simple question, my solar panel does not plug into a grid, nor does it charge a battery. How long will it take me to charge my EV with it? Keep in mind that that EV requires a special plug that I do not have on my solar panel.

Your claim was I could do it, which would imply that I can do it without all that extra gear that you are now throwing at me. Why are you making this more work? I thought this was supposed to be simple.

That is still not what you said. Why do you have to keep changing the parameters. Simple question, my solar panel does not plug into a grid, nor does it charge a battery. How long will it take me to charge my EV with it? Keep in mind that that EV requires a special plug that I do not have on my solar panel.

Your claim was I could do it, which would imply that I can do it without all that extra gear that you are now throwing at me. Why are you making this more work? I thought this was supposed to be simple.
Is it my fault you are too stupid to know how to use a solar system???

And don't try to claim you are not STUPID! You are too stupid to know that there are adapters that will convert all kinds of plugs, as well as AC to DC and hookups to batteries and/or the grid.

Dang you are a moron!

And nowhere did I say you connect the car directly to the solar panel, that was YOUR Straw Man. If you are truly so ignorant of how solar systems work, that's one thing, but don't project your stupidity onto me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rRF6iZRagA&feature=related]YouTube - Part 1 New Jersey PV Solar Installation of a Enphase Energy Micro Inverter Sharp Unirac[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8zruk4E88Q&NR=1]YouTube - Part 2 New Jersey 5.6 KW PV Solar Installation of a Enphase Micro Inverter Sharp Unirac quick mount[/ame]

I'm not going to be satisfied until there's an electric airplane.

And Al Gore is on it.........:eusa_whistle:
Another DittoTard mindlessly parrots his MessiahRushie. How original!

July 30, 2010
RUSH: When he gets in a limo that's powered by a battery, then I'll think about it. When he gets in an airplane, Air Force One, that's powered by a battery, then I'll look at it.

Actually I had no idea Limbaugh had made such a remark........thanks for having the quote from him handy to make the comparison.:eusa_angel:

Every time they pay an energy related bill tax payers will save money from the reduced demand for energy.

How does that work?

If I pay my energy bills, and then pay yours also, how is it that I save money? I see how you save money, but what do I get out of it again?

The more people producing their own energy the more this reduces the demand for energy resources which keeps the price down for those energy resources consumed by non-producers like you saving you MONEY. You are also FREE to set up your own solar or wind system.

Funny how you tout the supply and demand cycle to prove a point when it works in your favor. Unfortunately, energy doesn't work that way, because it is a public regulated utility, and does not respond to supply and demand cycles the way a free market does. Add in the requirement that any utility is required to purchase electricity from you at the same rate they would charge you for it, thus further eroding the free market that you are trying to champion, and their profit margin actually goes down the more people generate electricity. This leads me, not being conversant with all the numbers, and having your infinite supply of wisdom, to think that this might actually drive my cost of electricity up even higher than it would be if I did not subsidize your solar panels.

Here is another surprise for you, just to prove that you are wrong about something. Many people are not free to install solar power, and almost no one can install wind turbines. Homeowner associations and local zoning ordinances often interfere with the ability of a property owner to utilize practical, yet unsightly and/or noisy, innovations like this. This is a direct result of liberal policies to preserve views and historical values of neighborhoods. I am sure you will blame all of this in conservatives again, and I look forward to seeing you do so.

And don't try to claim you are not STUPID! You are too stupid to know that there are adapters that will convert all kinds of plugs, as well as AC to DC and hookups to batteries and/or the grid.

Dang you are a moron!

And nowhere did I say you connect the car directly to the solar panel, that was YOUR Straw Man. If you are truly so ignorant of how solar systems work, that's one thing, but don't project your stupidity onto me.

You missed nappy time today, right ed?

How long would it take to charge an EV like the Volt using a small rooftop solar panel, or a wind turbine? Simply stating something is possible does not make it practical.

Have you the faintest idea of what grid tied systems are?

Dang you are a moron!

Where did you say that? I am not really sure, but perhaps it was here.

If an EV can be charged from solar panels and wind generators, as you claimed, why do I suddenly need to have those same devices tied into that grid. My personal goal is to live totally independent of the energy grid, and now you want me to tie into again so I can charge my EV, despite the fact that you implied that I do not need the grid.

Then you strut around and claim I am a moron. You are truly living up to your reputation edthepartisanhack.

I do, they are the systems most people in the country, if not the world, use. I just happen to be an exception to that rule, and strive to live my life completely off the grid.

I do, they are the systems most people in the country, if not the world, use. I just happen to be an exception to that rule, and strive to live my life completely off the grid.

Yet, here you are.....IP addy and everything:eusa_eh:

At present, at this site, the price for solar panels starts at $1.55 a watt. However, I have seen sales where the price of $1.65 a watt included the panels, inverter, wires, and AC and DC disconnects. The market is such that a bargain hunter who is a reasonable handyman can have a 5 kw system for $10,000 or less.

How does that work?

Funny how you tout the supply and demand cycle to prove a point when it works in your favor. Unfortunately, energy doesn't work that way, because it is a public regulated utility, and does not respond to supply and demand cycles the way a free market does. Add in the requirement that any utility is required to purchase electricity from you at the same rate they would charge you for it, thus further eroding the free market that you are trying to champion, and their profit margin actually goes down the more people generate electricity. This leads me, not being conversant with all the numbers, and having your infinite supply of wisdom, to think that this might actually drive my cost of electricity up even higher than it would be if I did not subsidize your solar panels.

Here is another surprise for you, just to prove that you are wrong about something. Many people are not free to install solar power, and almost no one can install wind turbines. Homeowner associations and local zoning ordinances often interfere with the ability of a property owner to utilize practical, yet unsightly and/or noisy, innovations like this. This is a direct result of liberal policies to preserve views and historical values of neighborhoods. I am sure you will blame all of this in conservatives again, and I look forward to seeing you do so.
So, supply and demand does not apply to energy resources. :cuckoo: So I guess you will say that the "drill here, drill now, pay less" crap was just GOP propaganda. :lol:

Dang you are a moron!

Where did you say that? I am not really sure, but perhaps it was here.

If an EV can be charged from solar panels and wind generators, as you claimed, why do I suddenly need to have those same devices tied into that grid. My personal goal is to live totally independent of the energy grid, and now you want me to tie into again so I can charge my EV, despite the fact that you implied that I do not need the grid.

Then you strut around and claim I am a moron. You are truly living up to your reputation edthepartisanhack.
The only way to completely separate from the grid is to have a battery system, which you said you wouldn't use either, so yes you are a stupid moron who never heard of plug adapters.

From the link I already posted:

Off-Grid Solar Panel Systems are typically expensive because of their need for battery backups, charge controllers, and to provide 100% of your home energy needs, with accommodations made for cloudy weather and spikes in demand

This was already answered, but I'll do it again since you don't seem to understand what "exactly the same" means.

220-volts cannot be produced in 4-hours by means of a single solar-cell.

A standard sized solar cell measuring 20-inches by 88-inches, produces 17.1-volts at 7.0-amps; V x A = Watts so it would produce 119.7-watts, about the same as a hand held hair dryer. How many hours would a single panel 20-inches by 88-inches take to charge your Chevy Volt battery?

In PC's linked-text a figure of about 3 miles per kWh is given (which we can use for conversion purposes, not as a cost indicator for solar cells) and a distance driven of about 40 miles without a back-up energy source. Forty miles divided by 3 miles/KWh = 13.333 x a KWh of electrical energy consumed per charge event which is 13.333-kwh (13,333.33 Watt-hours) divided by 119.7 watts would equal about 111 hours of charging time for a single cell of the size I've used as an example. This means to charge the battery in 4-hours we will need just under 28 solar panels of the aforementioned size.

Had you thought a single cell would fully charge the Volt's battery for a forty mile driving distance?

Solar power might be a solution for you

Edit: Thank you for getting back to me with your usual hubris.

Last edited:

220-volts cannot be produced in 4-hours by means of a single solar-cell.

A standard sized solar cell measuring 20-inches by 88-inches, produces 17.1-volts at 7.0-amps; V x A = Watts so it would produce 119.7-watts, about the same as a hand held hair dryer. How many hours would a single panel 20-inches by 88-inches take to charge your Chevy Volt battery?

In PC's linked-text a figure of about 3 miles per kWh is given (which we can use for conversion purposes, not as a cost indicator for solar cells) and a distance driven of about 40 miles without a back-up energy source. Forty miles divided by 3 miles/KWh = 13.333 x a KWh of electrical energy consumed per charge event which is 13.333-kwh (13,333.33 Watt-hours) divided by 119.7 watts would equal about 111 hours of charging time for a single cell of the size I've used as an example. This means to charge the battery in 4-hours we will need just under 28 solar panels of the aforementioned size.

Had you thought a single cell would fully charge the Volt's batter for a forty mile driveing distance?

Solar power might be a solution for you
Now the patented CON$ervative dumb act produces a "single solar cell" Straw Man.
BRILLIANT

Yet, here you are.....IP addy and everything:eusa_eh:

I said strive, that does not mean I succeed completely. I am willing to bet that my electricity use is lower than yours, or anyone else on this forum.

Forum List

Back