The Limited Mobility of Mexican Americans

Agnapostate

Rookie
Sep 19, 2008
The Quake State
As indicated by the research of Livingston and Kahn in An American Dream Unfulfilled: The Limited Mobility of Mexican Americans:

Immigrant men and women report lower wages than their second– and third–generation counterparts, but once human capital controls are added, the wage pattern becomes one of steady decline across generations for men, and stagnation or marginal decline across generations for women.

What accounts for this decline?

(Reference to illegal immigration is absolutely pointless, incidentally; there is no homogeneity between immigrants and Mexican-Americans because the greater human capital gains of increased schooling and training increase the mobility of the latter within American labor markets. So those who wished to attack immigrants by claiming that the influx of cheap labor supply is problematic for legal Mexican-Americans will have to look elsewhere. This should have been indicated by the abstract excerpt, of course, but some are relentless in their pursuit of inaccuracy.)

Last edited:
As indicated by the research of Livingston and Kahn in An American Dream Unfulfilled: The Limited Mobility of Mexican Americans:

Immigrant men and women report lower wages than their second– and third–generation counterparts, but once human capital controls are added, the wage pattern becomes one of steady decline across generations for men, and stagnation or marginal decline across generations for women.

What accounts for this decline?

(Reference to illegal immigration is absolutely pointless, incidentally; there is no homogeneity between immigrants and Mexican-Americans because the greater human capital gains of increased schooling and training increase the mobility of the latter within American labor markets. So those who wished to attack immigrants by claiming that the influx of cheap labor supply is problematic for legal Mexican-Americans will have to look elsewhere. This should have been indicated by the abstract excerpt, of course, but some are relentless in their pursuit of inaccuracy.)

This looks to me like a classic case of statistics being cherry-picked to prove a thesis.

The lack of wage growth generation to generation and crumbling 'American Dream' is cause for sleepless nights across the spectrum of national origins, in the humble opinion of this average Joe.

-Joe

• Banned
This looks to me like a classic case of statistics being cherry-picked to prove a thesis.

The lack of wage growth generation to generation and crumbling 'American Dream' is cause for sleepless nights across the spectrum of national origins, in the humble opinion of this average Joe.

-Joe

What element of "cherry picking" have you identified, given the role of human capital controls in this analysis?

Agnost, despite the fact illegal aliens are here because they are EXTREMELY mobile, I like your font style. Kudos, you got that right. Common, bro. Your posts ring rather hollow, all of them, up to and including this thread. I heard you were banned, (from RAVI) , I hate censorship. Glad to see you again, either way.

Agnost, despite the fact illegal aliens are here because they are EXTREMELY mobile, I like your font style. Kudos, you got that right. Common, bro. Your posts ring rather hollow, all of them, up to and including this thread. I heard you were banned, (from RAVI) , I hate censorship. Glad to see you again, either way.

I'm referring to the limited mobility of Mexican-Americans, not illegal immigrants. The two groups are not homogenous because of the aforementioned greater human capital of legal Mexican-Americans.

Forum List

Back