The Lazy Poor

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. This is Star Parker: "Parker was born to mostly absent parents and raised in a nonreligious home; she says she was raised "by the secular 'I'm okay, you're okay' doctrine that says people should be allowed to make their own rules and shouldn't judge other people's lives."

She lived in Japan for three years and returned to the U.S., moving to East St. Louis, Illinois, at twelve, at which point she says she "just joined right in" with the "anger and tension among blacks" in the area.[4] "I bought into the lie that there was nothing in America for me except institutional racism and glass ceilings that would keep me from getting promoted," she said.[4]

She said that after one arrest for shoplifting, her white high school guidance counselor told her "not to worry about it, because I was a 'victim of racism, lashing out at society.'" [5] After attending church at the behest of her friends, she embraced Christianity and began turning her life around.[4]"
Star Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. In her book, "Uncle Sam's Plantation," Star Parker makes the point that there are several kinds of poor people. In one particularly poignant passage, she relates her own journey as one of the 'lazy poor.'

"Let me make sure that I understand you correctly," I inquired of the welfare caseworker as I presented her with my pregnancy confirmation note from a doctor. "All I have to do for you to send me $465 a month, $176 worth of food stamps, and 100% free medical and dental assistance is keep this baby. As long as I don't have a bank account, find a job, or get married, I qualify for aid? Where do I sign up?"

3. It was like winning the lottery....I had been looking for a way to finance my laziness. Now, at 23, I had finally found a source of income that did not require work.

4. I would steal money from my mother's purse...steal property and money from neighbors or local merchants....I lusted after the finest designer labels...and blamed racism, my parents, and any other excuse society would allow me to use for my laziness. My attitude of victimization, coupled with my unwillingness to develop the habits necessary to attain financial independence, led me further into poverty.

a. The root cause of this poverty is the perverse, counterproductive incentives arising from the welfare system itself. Charles Murray’s “Losing Ground” documented this effect using social indicators such as work, marriage, legitimacy, crime, and alcohol and drug abuse, and showing how the massive increase in government welfare programs worsened the problem.

b. Since productive activity not making any economic sense because of the work disincentives of the welfare plantation, other kinds of activities proliferate: drug and alcohol abuse, crime, recreational sex, illegitimacy, and family breakup are the new social norms, as does the culture of violence. From Peter Ferrara, “America’s Ticking Bankruptcy Bomb,” chapter five.

5. The lazy poor are the one poverty group for which a central government must facilitate welfare services through guilt and manipulation of the rest of the populace. This is because taxpayers generally despise this poverty group because, no matter how expensive the welfare programs are, the lazy poor always want more. They depend on the pity of liberal politicians to redistribute wealth, so that they can get what they want with little effort and no personal responsibility.

6. Compare this group to the economically challenged poor, whose tax payments offset most of the government benefits they might receive: no, the social consequences, and social costs due to the actions of the lazy poor are a financial drain on our entire tax system.

7. These are the "I couldn't care less" poor, the 'refuse to work' poor, and those poor who claim welfare benefits as their 'entitlement.' Some politicians believe they are doing these folks a favor by addicting them to a government-subsidized life. These are people who will be forever impoverished: they have bought the lie that poor people are poor because rich people are rich, and, therefore, they can demand that Uncle Sam fuels, or at least feels, their pain.

8. Dr. Thomas Sowell points out another sort of 'poor,' who aren't really poor. The terms ‘the rich’ and ‘the poor’ are seldom defined. Thus, there are mistakes in understanding the difference between the flow of income during a given year, and what has been accumulated. Similarly, the poor are usually defined in terms of current income, rather than how much they have or have not accumulated. Income and wealth are not the same thing. So, government definitions based on income can be misleading.
For many hand-wringing, bleeding-heat Liberals the following distinctions escape them.
Too nuanced, or requires actual thought.

a. Some who have low income, but are hardly poor are the spouse of a rich or affluent husband or wife.

b. Affluent or wealthy speculators, investors, or business owners having an off year.

c. Students who graduate in the middle of the year, and, therefore, earn half of what they would have.

d. Doctors or other professionals just starting out.

e. Those still living at home with folks who are wealthy or affluent. Or retirees in the reverse situation.
From "Economic Facts and Fallacies," Thomas Sowell

I hope it's not too late for something to be done to change the direction of this nation.

She lived in Japan for three years and returned to the U.S., moving to East St. Louis, Illinois, at twelve, at which point she says she "just joined right in" with the "anger and tension among blacks" in the area.[4] "I bought into the lie that there was nothing in America for me except institutional racism and glass ceilings that would keep me from getting promoted," she said.[4]

How did she have absent parents but live in Japan for 3 years and than go straight to the streets of East Saint Louis? thats not the typical MO.

How did she have absent parents but live in Japan for 3 years and than go straight to the streets of East Saint Louis? thats not the typical MO.

"I was born in 1956 and grew up the middle child with four sisters and brothers. I rarely saw my father, who was in the Air Force. My mother, who he'd married right out of high school, was always working to help make ends meet."
Star Parker: A Star Is Reborn | Today's Christian Woman

I think its a reference to parents that aren't actively involved in their childrens lives. I can certainly relate looking back on my childhood.

"I was born in 1956 and grew up the middle child with four sisters and brothers. I rarely saw my father, who was in the Air Force. My mother, who he'd married right out of high school, was always working to help make ends meet."
Star Parker: A Star Is Reborn | Today's Christian Woman

Oh so her father was in the Air Force stationed in Japan? makes sense. Theres just not too many kids from East Saint Louis that leave the state, let alone end up in Japan.

The poor are largely lazy louts who think that they get paid to manufacture rage.

Ever notice that PC complains incessantly about the poor and the welfare state that assists them,

but NEVER offers a better way to do things?

Urban economies cannot absorb them.

What do you suggest?

Oh, please, you're talking way over Politchic's head.

She has no concept of how we disenfranchise urban minorities, shoving them into the welfare system, severely limiting their opportunities, taking away the boots--straps and all.

Years of hunger and abject poverty have a profound effect on a child -- it's not about lazy, it's about having your spirit crushed.

We gutted U.S. manfactoring, destroying local economies. We continue to gut and limit family planning and access to abortions to the poor. What does she think is going to happen?

tell me where you can live on 650 a month and enjoy being lazy?

Gee....sure glad you asked.

1. From the OP:
"Let me make sure that I understand you correctly," I inquired of the welfare caseworker as I presented her with my pregnancy confirmation note from a doctor. "All I have to do for you to send me $465 a month, $176 worth of food stamps, and 100% free medical and dental assistance is keep this baby. As long as I don't have a bank account, find a job, or get married, I qualify for aid? Where do I sign up?"

2. That's $641, from the above.
Housing allowance, medical and dental....$700-$800/month?
$1441/month or $17,292 annual.

3. If a working individual earned that....what would her taxes, transportation to and from work, clothing, etc. cost? Maybe 10%-20% more?
That comes to the equivalent of $20,250 or so.....

4. Further, it seems that actual calculations such as above don't really account for all of the transfers and money redistributed....

....look at this statistic:

"....Americans living below the poverty level spend $1.75 for every $1 of income. The Myth of Widespread American Poverty."
The Myth of Widespread American Poverty

One more thing.....have you found that you have to step over staring folks lying in the streets?
And you have seen the stats on the material assets of the 'poor,' haven't you?

Get the point?

Wow....check this out!

"$20,000.00 in 1979 had the same buying power as $67,828.95 in 2013."
http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

Almost $70,000 in today's dollars????

Welfare???

The median household income in the US is $50,502.
http://www.mybudget360.com/how-much-do-americans-earn-what-is-the-average-us-income/

Last edited:
tell me where you can live on 650 a month and enjoy being lazy?

Some people (TDM) seem too lazy to do some simple math. She was born in 1958 and she was pregnant at 23. That's $650 in 1981 dollars, not 2013 dollars. In 1981, I was 2 years out of college, working full time and married and making $900 per month......and thought I was living like a king. For someone who doesn't want to work and provide for themself, $650 is better than $0. What, are you in a Cheeto induced fog this morning?

Forum List

Back